Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I just wanted to say that if you plan on viewing the fireworks show that they close out the day with at most parks, make sure to find a spot and hold on to it VERY EARLY. When I was at MK over the summer, we got caught in a rain storm at the edge of the park and I have not seen so many people jump on edge or act like utterly insensitive rear end in a top hat just so they could "see the magic."

Also, on the subject of DQ:

If they still have their virtual reality games (it's been about ten years since I've been), I could see that as PRIME loving real estate for use of the Marvel ownership. Who the gently caress wouldn't want to play one of those if it was Avengers themed? Disney needs to get the ball rolling and remember that DQ still exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
If I'm looking to book a trip for mid/late October, would it be too late to rent DVC points and book a decent studio in BLT?

(Decent, in this case, meaning at least a partial view of the castle for fireworks)

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Mykkel posted:

I can look up other places and days for you, but I don't have points to rent out.

Thanks, I really appreciate that! I would probably be going through an established points dealer either way, but I've heard some of them require a deposit to check dates, so this saves me some trouble.

We are looking to go on Oct 14-22 (give or take a bit either way, depending on availability), and I think it'd be awesome if we could get something on the monorail. Any chance you could look at the Polynesian or the Grand Floridian standard rooms during that time frame?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Yeah, I probably wouldn't be opposed to that. I could just plan my MK and Epcot days on days that I could potentially be at a monorail resort.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Thanks again for taking a look at that for me! It looks like Saratoga is a but it of the way, but still quite highly rated. I might end up going this route if nothing better crops up.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Well, mostly in the sense that you can really only walk to Disney Springs. I don't mind the buses, but you just have to wake up so much earlier to make rope drop when you're relying on them.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Yeah, I already had that last year with the swolphin. I want all out Disney goodness. My gf actually wanted us to stay in a little mermaid room at AoA, but they're all booked up or something. Can't get anything.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

I think this has potential. Like, if you ONLY get to fast pass 2 F-ticket rides a day, and it costs $20 a pop, then you aren't going to do it a lot. Mostly you will standby, which leads to lower wait times in general. Especially at Disneyland where locals who knew how to game the MaxPass system could really bork things for visitors.

I don't understand this logic. How does no FP lane decrease standby wait times?

MaxPass was also insanely simple for a non-local, like me, to pick up and do everything in the park two or three times over in a day if I wanted to.

To me, Genie seems like pure poo poo compared to the previous offerings at either park.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I guess take my anecdote with a grain of salt then, but my visit just a couple of weeks ago to DLR felt way more rushed without MaxPass. Barely got to do half of DL, whereas with MaxPass I would've breezed through it all by lunch time. Lines did not seem to be moving any faster than they had in the past.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

alg posted:

so what benefits are left for staying on site?

The benefit of spending more money on a cheap hotel.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

couldcareless posted:

Inner grounds transportation
Dining reservation window increase
Probably bundles providing a better deal?

Not much tbh but something tells me they still won't have problems filling hotels.

I mean honestly, just the proximity at WDW is a huge selling point on its own... so long as you get something that is close to your desired park, at least.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

YeH because you were using Max Pass. You have to compare “trip where max pass exists but you only use standby lines” to “trip where max pass doesn’t exist”

Well that is sort of my point though... I've been in standby lines without Max Pass and I've been in standby lines with Max Pass and it didn't feel very different at all. The waits were marginally shorter than usual, but I attribute that to the pandemic more than anything else.

That being said, the Incredicoaster line seemed like it was constantly flying all day... so I dunno.

EDIT: Bottom line is, without Max Pass, I trade "idle time" (looking through shops, soaking up sights, eating) for "line time" because I don't have a FP window I am waiting on. I have to be in line if I want to get my next ride.

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 18, 2021

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It also let me go "okay, so, we've got peter pan at 6.30? then let's eat at liberty tree tavern at 5 and hit haunted mansion after. the walk is super close and it's pretty towards the evening." or whatever.

Day-of means I'm zigzagging everywhere. So it's good that my service dog is used to both riding on a scooter and walking beside one, because I'm not going to be able to deal with 15 mile days. I'm not big on that part of it, though hopefully it shows you just like... the entire list of possible rides and next bookings? I guess?

I think they think this will make people relax for dinner reservations but this just makes me want to eat quick service way more often.

While I am not a fan of it in general, reserved FPs definitely at least made sense for WDW. Same-day zig zagging at DLR is no big deal because its a fraction of the size... if you're doing that at WDW you're going to kill yourself very quickly.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Someone on disboards summed it up pretty good. This sucks for the planners and the folks that knew how to game the FP+ system, like me. We planned heavily and knew how to take advantage of FP+.

They're punishing people who already know how to book FPs instead of just very clearly telling their casual guests that FP is already free and included in their ticket. Some people in here have some good points as to why they support it, and there are some arguments that have merit... but a lot of people on social media I see in support of this speak as if they have never been able to use a fast pass in their life.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

The issue with upcharge rides is like, what if an effect is broken

You just paid $20 per person for a family of 5 to ride Rise... and Kylo is in B mode.

Oh god the poor CMs

What about the people who upcharge and run across the park and then find that the standby time on the app was wrong? Just paid $50 to ride Seven Dwarfs when people are just walking on to the ride...

EDIT:

BlueBayou posted:

I know many people, so many otherwise smart, sharp, perceptive people who had no idea that Fast Pass was free.

I used to be one of those people! I still know many of these people as well! I think this is the real failing in the FP system more than anything else, to be honest.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

You can still use the standby lines, which may actually be more tolerable under this new system than under Fastpass.

Yeah, but with fastpass you didn't have to wait in any lines :shrug:

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Most of the benefits of the Fastpass system were an illusion. Essentially, you were required to use Fastpass to skip the artificially inflated long lines that Fastpass created. You had to use Fastpass to experience the same number of attractions you would if Fastpass didn't exist at all. What most of the public is not aware of is, on any high demand attraction, Fastpass accounted for 80% or more of that attraction's hourly capacity. It was not a "skip the line" pass, it was a pre-booked virtual queueing that didn't take into consideration that day's park attendance or any attraction capacity limiters that may have come up (this was one way that the previous paper system was better). This is why you can currently wait through Expedition Everest's entire standby queue in about 15 to 20 minutes, while if Fastpass were running it would easily be 75 minutes.

This new system, though obviously a greedy move, may actually be a better park experience for everyone. Each pass you book is based on that attraction's current wait time, as compared to a previously determined allotment. Also, with a pay to play system, less people might be using it. The less people use it, the more tolerable the standby lines will be. But we'll have to wait and see.

I can't recall if I have mentioned this already in this thread and I apologize, if so...

But the benefits from the old system really weren't an illusion if you were just proactive about holding a FP any time that you could. I would book a FP reservation, go do whatever for 30 mins to an hour, then show up and be on the ride in five minutes. Vs what you're proposing where I have to wait in line for everything. I am trading time that could be spent otherwise enjoying the parks for actively waiting in line. It will be very difficult to do the full park in one day using just standby lines, even if they're shorter.

skipdogg posted:

MaxPass worked really well at DLR for us. There were days we rode over 20 attractions using MaxPass.

I will forever miss those days :(

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 20, 2021

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
They probably could have fixed that by just nixing advanced FP reservations and leaving everything else in place. I think WDW caters way too much to the "this vacation needs to absolutely perfect and planned out to the second" crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Hey all, x-posting from all Japan and Disney related threads, so hopefully this is okay…

This is a long-rear end shot in the dark, but would anyone here happen to be going into the Tokyo Disney Parks over the next few days? I was just there and didn’t realize that a hoodie I wanted would only be available inside the park gates and not even available in Ikspiari or Bon Voyage. Would be super appreciative if anyone would be willing to grab a couple of hoodies for me and my wife and meet me somewhere at a point of convenience to get them and Venmo or whatever.