Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I’m looking at booking a 4-5 day trip to WDW next spring and oh boy there is an awful lot to take in. We’ll be traveling with a then-4 and 2 year old, so I may splurge on a hotel with monorail access due to the sheer desire for convenience.

I figure we’ll approach it like our successful recent (and only) trip to visit family in NYC- low amounts of scheduling, mostly simple attractions, ample snacks.

That said, it’s tough to get a handle on what we ‘need’ to do- I don’t want to be stuck in multiple long lines, I do want to have some decent meals, and I have no idea how to spend ‘travel’ half days near the parks.

Also, do they release hotel booking dates on a rolling schedule or in chunks? I’d like to book early but the dates I’m probably going for aren’t available yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Scruff McGruff posted:

I also highly recommend expecting to take a mid-day break. We would hit the park at open and then head back to the resort around 1pm.

Oh yeah, definitely. Prioritizing naps/quiet time is a big part of why we’re looking to spend the money on a convenient resort hotel. And yeah, I bet the kids would be entirely happy with the pool and a playground.

Braksgirl posted:

Room only reservations can be made 499 days in advance, but packages are released typically in summer the year before.

If you're open to working with a travel agent, I'd be happy to help.

Thanks! We’re still in the initial stages of planning, but I’ll definitely keep this in mind. Traditionally I’ve always done DIY adult vacations, but it seems like there’s minimal downside to using an agent for something like a Disney trip. Should I pm you if/when I’d like to move forward?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

I feel like Star Wars has really suffered from committees and execs attempting to recreate the magic of the original movies instead of allowing writers and directors to actually execute the story they want.

I recently watched the Mandalorian though (yes I know I’m late to the party) and it was fantastic and basically all I could’ve wanted from a sci fi show. Imo the only times it really suffered was when it was trying to tie the story into existing eu character stuff.

Related- I got super burned out on Marvel stuff until Thor: Ragnarok came out. It actually had some fun dialogue and a bit of room to breathe, pacing-wise.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

When I last went to Disney World, Animal Kingdom hadn’t opened yet. I was extremely into zoos and wild animals and I remember seeing it on commercials and wanting to go.

I’m going to the parks next year with my little kids (then 4 and 2) for 3 park days and here’s my question: is it worth it to go to Animal Kingdom if your kids don’t like zoos? We’re going to either have to drop a park or do half days at two. Neither of them care in the least about watching animals and I can’t empathize.

99% sure the eldest is going to be into rides, rides, rides and the youngest is going to want to smile at princesses (and anyone else who says hi to him) and ride anything resembling a train.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Thanks for the input everyone! We will 100% be taking midday breaks and just enjoying some pool time. They’ll probably be a max height of 40”.

My goals are to approach things in a fairly flexible way- especially right now, when I’ve got little ability to guess where they’ll be and what they’ll be interested in a year from now. The adults have very few personal goals- check out the star wars stuff (but no droids/lightsabers experiences), let the adults break off for a couple non-little kid rides, and overall minimize meltdowns.

I mostly just want the kids to have fun and not have an idea of ‘getting our money’s worth/have the perfect magical day where we do everything’. I’m just worried about dragging my eldest through a park where she’s just not into what it’s built around and can’t ride the rides otherwise.

The dig site looks very cool, and while she doesn’t care about dinos (?!) she is all about going down the biggest slides possible.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

It feels a little bonkers trying to do a bit of research after last going to Disney like… 20 years ago, because I know there will probably be significant changes by the time we go next year from how things are now.

That said, there’s been enough changes in the past 20 years that I don’t feel too bad taking a look (plus I’m excited!).

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

I mean the big issue with ultra-specific lands is that, eventually, media properties get dated if they aren’t meticulously curated and introduced to new generations.

If families aren’t interested in a certain media themed ride, fine they replace it with another newer one at a plannable cost. But if they don’t care about Harry Potter or Star Wars anymore? Oof. Disney’s insisting on control of Star Wars IP was probably a smart move, given what’s been happening to HP’s reputation.

e: and I loved HP as a kid and have fond memories of it, but I don’t feel the need to pass that nostalgic enjoyment along to my kids so womp womp probably not going to get my money

BadSamaritan fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 19, 2022

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

A hotmic’ed room where you could meet a projected, remotely interacting jedi hologram character would be extremely cool. Feel bad for the cast member trying to understand a toddler over a mic connection though.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Uh Rey is pretty darn popular with little girls who have seen Star Wars. And while the sequels have significant flaws, I will say that if I had been little girl me watching those movies like I watched the originals, my parents wouldn’t have been able to shut me up about them. It would’ve been magic.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Quick question- I had already booked a WDW resort stay for 2023, before ticket/package availability for that time. Is there a benefit to getting the tickets through Disney/turning the stay into a package vs getting the tickets through my employer’s legit vendor at a slight but meaningful discount and adding those to My Disney Experience?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

If you want the tickets to be refundable if you have to cancel your trip, then you should get them as a room/ticket package. If you cancel a room/ticket package before final payment then everything is fully refundable. You can also defer the payment on those tickets til 30 days before check in. If you buy your tickets separately you have to pay for them in full at the time of purchase plus they will not be refundable if you are unable to use them.

Great, thank you! That’s a good reason with two little germ factory kids.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

How have people’s experiences been with renting dvc points/properties? Are they pleasant to stay in? I’m considering switching to a studio at the Polynesian for our trip next year but I don’t know anyone who’s done those kinds of rentals and lol at trusting internet reviews. I know the policies (cancellation, rescheduling, etc) are solidly different than booking through Disney directly and am keeping that in mind.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Thanks for the input everyone!

skipdogg posted:

We rented DVC points once before we bought into DVC, and there was no problem with the transaction. Several family members have rented without issue as well. We have always used David's DVC rental service.

Thanks for your post. I’m really big on the location of some of the deluxe/DVC properties, and I’m keeping an eye on resale DVC contracts because if we would otherwise stay at a deluxe a couple times we would come out ahead. I’m interested in checking out the poly rooms partly to see if it’s a road we want to go down. Would you mind if I pm you about your experience with the DVC system?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

So, as someone who has already booked a room-only reservation for next year, is there even a reason to switch to a package unless a package-only discount becomes available? Can I just buy my park tickets separately also through Disney and convert to a package in the future if there’s an applicable discount?

I’m not really seeing a reason to combine at this point and if I get to skip a phone call then that’s cool (although everyone I’ve talked to on the phone has been delightful).

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Just googled those cookies and those are way too many chocolate chips, wowzers. Pb cold brew does sound delicious though, so I guess I’ll tag along if the group wants to go.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Very excited to have booked for early May next year. I’ve been to Florida in July before and as a New Englander that’s solidly in ‘only if I have to’ territory now. Might try a mid-January or non-school vacation February trip before the kids are in school.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Quick question- are there any Wall-E things/murals/attractions/statues at Disney World? My kid is super into it but it doesn’t sound like there’s anything much there. Even a little interactive thing would make her day.

Granted, the pretty anti-consumerist message in the movie isn’t really the best for making a bunch of merch or whatever, but any hints would be welcome.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

I’ve got some ulterior motives here, but a Wall-E conservation exhibit would fit in Animal Kingdom :colbert:

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

I feel increasingly old and don’t understand why anybody would watch a livestream of a person at an amusement park

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

That would be an absolute riot with the number of babies/toddlers alone, aside from all the special dietary needs and everything else.

Disney can pry the toddler applesauce pouches from my cold, dead hands.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

I’m excited for my vacation, but it was definitely a bummer trying to plan my first park trip in ~20 years and being like ‘oh, there’s no magical express anymore’, ‘oh theres’s no sending stuff to your hotel anymore’, ‘oh, there’s no dining plan anymore’.

I didn’t even have fond memories of the fastpass era or whatever, but it felt like a lot of expected convenience perks were missing without a reduction in price.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Night at bald mountain coaster

Would

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

After starting to plan our first Disney trip about a year ago, we have our restaurant bookings open in a couple weeks. We have two little kids so we’re not going to do much sit-down dining, but it’s exciting that the trip is getting closer!

Quick question about Ohana character breakfast- is it just Lilo, Stitch, Mickey, and Minnie? My kids are more into the Mickey Mouse & friends characters than Lilo and Stitch, so even though Ohana would be more convenient, we might go with the AK character breakfast.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

skipdogg posted:

Our "touring" style is to take a midday break. We hit the parks hard in the morning, I'm talking early rope drop and then leave the first park sometime between 12 and 2 PM. Head back to the room, nap, swim, lunch, chill, or whatever. We generally head back out around 5 or 6pm to Magic Kingdom and shut the park down for the night. We've done this since our first trip when my kids were 5 and 3 and it works for us.

This is basically my plan for our upcoming trip with our 4 and 2 year old (though maybe heading back to the hotel a little earlier at night) and was my reasoning for getting Park Hopper. I don’t want to try to cram MK into a single day at their ages.

Also, I don’t think the kids are going to get a full day out of HS and AK is a toss up, so having the option to go to other parks in the afternoon is really nice.

I have everything but dining booked at this point and am really excited to goooo in early May.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Yeah- I’m 100% planning on making sure they get nap time (or at least enforced room-based chill time). Paying way too much for a hotel room to make sure it’s easily achievable.

I lightly remember going to Disney as a 4 year old and the riverboat and Swiss Family treehouse are what stand out in my memory, so I’m trying not to get caught up in making sure they do popular thing xyz.

Getting emotionally prepared for watching the airport baggage carousel to be their favorite thing tho.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Less than 60 days until my trip! My kid is super into space and I was able to get a lunch reservation for 3 to Space 220- however, I was hoping she could do it as a father-daughter thing.

Are there any issues with just having 2 out of 3 people show up for a dining reservation? Do I need to make her dad the organizer of the reservation? (I’m currently listed as organizer but wouldn’t go in the desired arrangement).

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Another dining question- I booked Tusker house for a character breakfast at 8:05, but the park opens at 9 that day.

Does this mean my reservation is going to be unceremoniously cancelled at some point, or does it mean I’m going to have a sweet, crowd free walk to the restaurant?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

This is a silly question that nobody here can authoritatively answer, but why doesn’t Hollywood Studios have more filler rides? Like almost everything is a big attraction with a big line, why not have a few chiller things to duck into?

Or at this point do they figure people would gripe too much about simple/clever/cute rides to have them be worth the money to add?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Yeah- I’m bringing two little kids, and I’m struggling on how to pace Hollywood Studios, which is what got me thinking about it.

I want to go and see the Star Wars stuff, but am having trouble seeing how it’ll be anything but a half day park when the kids aren’t really able to tolerate the longest lines or midday show times yet. MK, AK, and Epcot all seem to be stronger on either having lots of filler or not relying as heavily on long line-based/showtime-based attractions.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Question about how to manage accounts for a family trip at Disney World-

Currently I’m the only one with a My Disney Experience account/app. I’ll be doing the bulk of lightning lane stuff during our trip. Everyone is all set and listed on our reservations in MDE.

However it will be helpful to have my partner be able to mobile order, navigate, and do 7am stuff. Does he need to make an MDE account or can we just use my account on two devices? He doesn’t have an account.

Trying to avoid too many cooks but also not have to be the sole point of contact in case we split the party.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

If you have park hopper, can you go to the deluxe extended evening hours at your non-reservation park? (Eg starting at AK and ending the late night at MK) Can you enter after the park hopper hours “end”?

It seems like a yeah, but I was concerned about a technicality with park hopper hours ending before the extended hours begin.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Less than a week until my first Disney trip in over 20 years, and my first with little kids that aren’t me.

Since I’m bringing little kids and taking a midday break, it’d be nice to use Genie+ on the lower demand rides to skip shortish lines, but still be able to build up ‘big’ rides for the afternoon.

I’ve read up on how to use Genie+, but how does stacking work if you’ve scanned into at least one of your rides before the 2hr mark? Before you reach the 2 hr mark, do you have to go on all your existing lightning lane rides to book another one? Or can you book a new lightning lane after checking into a ride before your 2hr mark but still have other future lightning lanes stacked?

Say-
7a Book Ride A for a 9:30am slot
9a Book Ride B for a 3pm slot
11a Book Ride C for a 12pm slot
Check into C at 12:05p- Can I book Ride D now? Or do I need to wait for 1pm?

Ultimately we’re just going to have a good time and not try to power through everything, but I figure it doesn’t hurt to understand how the mechanics work before getting there and spending $$$.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

So basically having rides booked for the late afternoon would prevent me from using genie+ for ‘quick’ rides in the late morning/early afternoon (except when I hit the end of the two hour booking window)?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Magic Kingdom needs better morning coffee availability/am snack options, imo, it felt like a caffeine free wasteland before 11am. Otherwise we’re having a good time and I unironically laughed a whole bunch on Jungle Cruise.

Genie+ definitely has an art to it that I haven’t really grasped (though it’s serviceable enough). We’re probably just making it tricky because we’re taking a midday break for kid naps.

The Poly is a beautiful hotel and the pools/white sand beach are so great. I would slam pick it for every future trip if it weren’t for the price :negative:

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

I rode Mission Space (orange) and Guardians during evening hours last night, and while I was definitely playing chicken with my inner ear I had a blast.

I went it almost completely blind to Guardians except knowing it launched backwards at some point in the ride and goddamn it was good.

Today we are focusing on getting the kids as much Frozen content as possible between HS and Epcot because we are parents. Also going to ride RoR, if up, completely blind.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Lol never mind, RotR was down all morning and we’re doing Epcot in the afternoon. Maybe later this week, or maybe next trip!

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

It’s been a couple days since our family trip ended and thanks again to this thread, it was very helpful. I hadn’t been to Disney in over 20 years, and my partner and kids had never been.

A few observations:
- 4 year old ate the whole thing up, loves roller coasters, and is convinced she went to space on Mission: Space
- She got too excited meeting Elsa, went slightly feral, and is definitely in the middle of some other family’s photos. Sorry, other family.
- 2 year old had a more mixed experience. He loved hanging around at the park and eating snacks, but only really liked the parade, it’s a small world, and the carrousel for structured things/rides
- The meet and greets and other rides we went on were too intense for 2 year old and he got legit terrified by the little fireworks at the end of the friendship castle show so I felt like a bag of poo poo that betrayed his tiny, partying heart when that happened
- Everyone loved the monorail and boats
- Also, apparently, the Mears Connect bus
- The crowds were pretty low and we didn’t actually run into anyone being noticeably lovely, which was fantastic
- I very much want to go back to AK. We had to bail early that day for kid reasons, but the park looked gorgeous and I just wanted to wander. The theming was next-level and there was so much shade. Kali River Rapids was empty in the morning so I got to walk on twice with my daughter, A+
- Hollywood Studios was a bust for us since Genie+/ILL availability didn’t work in our favor. Easily my least favorite park, but 2yo made me hurry through Galaxy’s Edge (‘too scary!’) and I’d like to get to actually explore it.
- I was floored by the consistently good customer service and cleanliness of the parks for the sheer number of people there. Epcot bathrooms were the grodiest, though, and I assume that is due to the heavier presence of alcohol.
- We encountered some hiccups, and there were a couple small hotel issues in particular, but on a one-on-one level the cast members were fantastic

We’re already planning on returning, but will likely split the kids up more and buy an industrial sized bag of Cuties upon landing in Florida because it’s all the kids wanted to eat.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

We’re probably going to Disney World again in the fall with our then 3 and 5 year old. Probably going to stay at Port Orleans French Quarter, as that seems like a nice vibe/price balance. I do want to see if there end up being good Wilderness Lodge deals but am not holding my breath.

Unfortunately we’re starting to get locked into the school year calendar, so we are probably going to have to take advantage of Veterans Day weekend (fly Saturday, parks Sun-Tues, back on Weds to miss two days of school total). This seems like kind of the best time to go in the fall if you have to attempt to play ball with the school year?

I did read something about Jersey Week, but a quick look at the state’s school calendar makes it look like that’s mostly the week prior to when we’re going? Regardless it should be better than Columbus Day weekend from the looks of it.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

This is a goofy question, but if I already booked my resort/park tickets through the WDW site, can I still get a travel agent? It’s booked for out past the current deals and I’m realizing I don’t want to have to stalk for promos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

We’re driving home from Universal, but Braksgirl says you can use a travel agent to book the resort room if you haven’t done so already. However, a lot of promos are for a ticket and room package. So, if you bought the tickets already separately, that’s not going to help you much.

So I purchased a room and ticket package through Disney, but the early November dates I booked aren’t available in current deal/promo packages yet. I like to get vacations on the calendar early or my family never takes them!

I know they release new promos as the year progresses (and not really on set dates, from what I can find), but don’t want to keep having to check in on their site to see if they’re out yet to apply them to my reservation. I did do it manually last time we went and I saved a bunch, but I feel like life is more chaotic this year. If it’s super obvious I’ve never used a travel agent for anything before it’s because I haven’t.