Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.
I was directed over to this forum by fluffy bunnies form the Ask Me About Working at Disney forum. Rather than retype, here's what I posted there:

Glad I stumbled across this thread. I retire from the military in November and my mother, two brothers and my two children will be here in San Diego to help celebrate it. At some point, we plan on driving up to Anaheim to visit DisneyLand. Are there pros/cons to visiting during November? Also, what benefits can I take advantage of being military? From what I've seen, our MWR (Morale Welfare and Recreation) centers offer "discount" tickets, but they are only $5-$10 cheaper than normal gate prices. Anaheim, it seems, is less military friendly (price-wise, at least) than other Disney parks.

ANy help would be greatly appreciated as my entire family has a love of amusement parks and we want to have a great experience (on a budget, but not tight waddish...)

SO, I looked through this thread and noticed its pretty much all Florida WDW posts. Any advice for Anaheim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If you're only staying the one night, you will see less discounts. Most of their big discounts are on things like multiple day park-hopper-included kinds of discounts. If they want to see Cars Land you're going to be over in Disney California Adventure, which can easily be done in a day whether you're a thrill seeker or you guys prefer more mellow things. But since there's kids, they're probably gonna wanna see the castle and do the classic rides in Disneyland.

You might not get everything done on a Saturday/Sunday in Disneyland. You'd probably have better luck on a Monday or a Tuesday.

http://touringplans.com/disneyland-resort/crowd-calendar A month prior to going you'll be able to see this for free. It was about 95% accurate while we were there last December. November isn't a bad time to go. The holiday decorations might already be out (they should be, but I don't want to guarantee it, y'know?) and Haunted Mansion will be in full Nightmare Before Christmas regalia so if you have any fans in the party, it's definitely worth hitting up.

From earlier in the thread:

Allears' disneyland area is pretty small, but it'll still give you a good idea of things. The best piece of advice I can give you is wait until early September and contact Disneyland reservations directly about a November 1 day vacation. They'll have all the current promotions by that point and they'll work to get you the best deal they can. If they bring up staying off property, we stayed at the Anaheim Marriot Suites. It's only a couple of miles to the main gate, the breakfast buffet is pretty nice and the place was lovely. There's also a Target literally across the street for any necessities. Parking was a bit of a bitch, but it's a solid property and it's a Good Neighbor hotel, which means if you go on a day with extra magic hours, you get those as if you were staying on a disney property. Extra magic hours are for people staying at a disney or affiliate (good neighbor, in this case) hotel. Sometimes they're in the morning, sometimes they're in the evening, but lines are usually pretty short.

The biggest thing is, your id will probably give you some cash off, be it a little or a ton. But due to when you're going, you really won't know how much until the reservations/CS hotline get the updates for 2013-2014 deals for the military. Sometimes they're different, sometimes they're the same, but they won't confirm anything until they have word from over their head. Which is great. But it kinda fucks you a little for planning.

Are you looking for any information in the park specifically?

Thanks! This is basically perfect and precisely what I was looking for. More the "How do I do this?" not "What do we go see?". My brothers and I are pretty internet savvy (my younger brother is on here as well), so we'll look at the lay out pre-visit and lan our day. Probably pop back in here a few times to check on which rides/shows are worth it and which aren't.

ANd forgive any misspellings, etc.. My browser window is going al wonky and I can't actually see what the heck I'm typing...