Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
The best thing Disney has for parents with kids (besides child care and things like that) is Child Swap. It allows parents to take turns on the rides. First one waits in line like normal, but gets a ticket for the other one to fastpass the line when they get off. My first trip was when I was around 6 years old, and my sister was less than a year. My parents took turns watching her, which meant I got to ride most things twice in a row. That was rad as gently caress.

I am going on my first solo trip in December, and I am extremely amped to be headed down without the addition of a family. I'll actually be meeting family there, but I'll be staying in a different resort, and will only catch up with them for a few hours at a time. The last trip I took was fustrating as hell because my family didn't want to wait in any lines, yet they chose to go during Spring Break, so we sat around looking at things we could be doing, rather than doing things. None of that this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Lincoln posted:

Hadn't been here in a couple of weeks, so I was re-reading the OP to see if there was some glaring omission I needed to address, and I started thinking that one of the big questions my wife and I always get is, why do you guys go to Disney World all the time? Well, we don't go all the time. We've averaged about once every two years since our first visit in 1999. But I usually do the regular song-and-dance routine: great service, attention to detail, etc.

I think some sort of explanation belongs in the OP: what makes WDW so special that we always feel the need to return? I've been lots of places (lived and vacationed all over the world, in fact), but none pull me back like Disney World. I frequently struggle to explain it properly without sounding like a cult member.

The best thing I've come up with: aside from all the fun and food and service, you always have the knowledge that you're wrapped in an envelope of vacation security. Nothing bad will happen while you're there, and your hosts will always take care of you. You'll never get conned by some trinket-selling local, and you'll never have to take the "scenic route" in a smelly cab. Try getting that at some all-inclusive in St. Thomas. Or wherever.

You guys have anything better? How do you convince people it's the place to go?

Remember, this thread is intended for first-timers.

I mean, my biggest suggestion is, if you can afford it, stay on Disney property. Even the Value resorts are really nice places to stay (even if they aren't as intricately themed as the Moderate and Deluxe)

My last trip, I ended up in a condo (a very nice one) just outside of the parks near Animal Kingdom, and while the condo itself was lovely (and my parents nabbed it for a cheap price due to their timeshare) we were in the middle of Tourist Trap Alley. Just lots of tacky things to distract people from spending money at Disney. We went into a store in one strip mall that you could just feel the sleeze. Disney may be a corporate giant, but at least, inside their parks, they try to make their invasion of your wallet seem less garish. Most nights, we also ended up parking next to the tackiest looking medieval dinner show and if that isn't hell on earth, I don't know what is.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

skipdogg posted:

We've never done the DDP, and I'm personally on the fence about it. I don't like to eat when I'm hot/sweaty/active and will go most of the day just snacking on granola bars and drinking Gatorade. I think we would have to work to use all the credits on the DDP. My wife's cousins though go and they get their moneys worth out of the DDP.

We're going for 7 days/6 nights, and I anticipate a more relaxed schedule than most folks. I'll be in no rush to see everything, and will work around the kids schedule. I think the Park Hoppers will be worth it though, with the MIL coming with us, we can get away for a few hours to do our own thing, so if the kids spend the day at Animal Kingdom we can do Epcot at night or something. My MIL doesn't get around so good and will probably only be getting 3 or 4 days worth of tickets to the park.

The AOA family suites have gone up a bit in price since I last looked. I wouldn't be opposed to spending up to an extra 100 a night on the hotel to get a much nicer experience.

Thanks for the info, definitely stuff to think about.

The Dining Plan is really all how you use it. I know people who swear by it, and others who wouldn't ever dream of doing it. Perhaps the Quick Service Dining plan may be an option. It gives you two Quick Service (over the counter stuff rather than sit down) credits a day and a snack credit a day. It's the cheapest dining option, and there are so many quick service options it's insane (especially in Epcot.) You won't be getting the fanciest food in the parks (although the new Be Our Guest restaurant in the MK does Quick Service for lunch and some of the food is worthy of a sit down dinner) but you get to feed the kids at places that are easy to get into, and are usually pretty good, even the fast food fare stuffs.

You could also supplement this with paying out of pocket for select meals on the trip.

My next trip in December is my first solo experience with the Dining Plan, and I am just going with the Regular Plan, which gives one of each service a day and one snack, and I'll be honest, I am not sure if I'll even end up using the Table Service credits for the trip. I have three reservations booked now, and am sort of at a loss for what to do for the rest, so the plan isn't for everyone.

I'd say, look at the money you'd spend for food vs. how much the plan will cost, then make your decision from that.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

The DISboards also run the DISUnplugged podcast, which is super informative, and they do topics episodes. This month they are going over 7 of the resorts (which they stayed in over a period of 7 nights.) The guy who runs it owns a travel company, so they are also pretty good about giving tips to plan.

I have a question for those more versed in the Dining Plan than I am (which is funny, considering my last post is about the plan)

This trip is the first time I'm going solo, so I just went with the basic 1 TS, 1 QS, 1 Snack plan. The last time I used the DP, it was Deluxe, so I got all the fixings, an appetizer, entree, and desert (plus beverage) where as I saw that the basic plan is only the beverage and the entree. Can I supplement my meal with a dessert or a appetizer out of pocket, or would i just have to pay for the meal out of pocket for that?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Remulak posted:

Is this a Disney timeshare or something else?

Yes. They have select resorts at the parks that have Vacation Club sections that DVC members can rent exclusively. Most of the Deluxe resorts, and some of the moderates.

They also have spaces at their Non theme park resorts like Aulani in Hawaii and Vero Beach. You can also use DVC Points towards Non-Disney vacation spots.

AND some non-Disney Timeshare companies, like the ones my parents use, can finagle a stay at a DVC condo, but you have to plan super far in advance because they only have a small selection of rooms open to do that.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I've always wanted to go to the Food and Wine festival. The Flower and Garden festival is wonderful (but be wary, the end falls around Spring Break/Easter time, so it gets crowded in a matter of days)

This year they introduced food and wine kiosks into the festival, and they've been doing topiaries and flower displays for Food and Wine for a while now, so Epcot is trying to bring a bit of each to the other, which is fine by me.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

President Ark posted:

Also if there's an unexpected all-day rainstorm stopping you from enjoying the rides, go to Downtown Disney. Disneyquest there is basically a 3? story, gigantic arcade in which everything is free beyond admission.

There are also some pretty great Arcades in many of the on-site Resorts. The All Star and other values have really nice ones since they are more aimed at families. They do cost money, but It's impressive. Art of Animation's even has pinball machines, I'm told!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Disney is letting DQ die a long and slow death, I think.

The idea started out as a concept to bring Disney Park style experiences to places that don't have them. The DTD one opened first as a test pilot, then one opened in Chicago. It didn't prove a successful buisness model, so Disney scrapped the project, closing the Chicago one, scrapping construction on a Philiadelphia one, and ceasing planning on one for Disneyland and one in Toronto.

Now all that remains is Florida's, and it's just sort of a thing Disney keeps around because it gives people something to do on rainy days (or on days that some parks close early for events, like the Halloween and Christmas parties)

Kind of a shame.

Edit: If you want to try an updated version of DQ's signature attraction Cyberspace Mountain, go to Epcot and try Sum of all Thrills in Innoventions. Same basic concept using far better technology (mainly a robot arm most famous for being the ride mechanic for the Harry Potter ride over at Universal)

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 16, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Gin_Rummy posted:

If they still have their virtual reality games (it's been about ten years since I've been), I could see that as PRIME loving real estate for use of the Marvel ownership. Who the gently caress wouldn't want to play one of those if it was Avengers themed? Disney needs to get the ball rolling and remember that DQ still exists.

Disney isn't allowed to design or make attractions featuring Marvel characters in any location in Orlando, due to their outstanding contract with Islands of Adventure.

They can do Marvel at any other DisneyParks location around the world, just not WDW. They skirted this to have Avengers and Iron Man themed monorail wraps on the Resort track rather than the Epcot track, because if it entered Epcot, that would be considered breach of contract.

Disney needs to man up and tell Universal "Here's a poo poo ton of money, re-name everything except the properties Fox/Sony owns, then gently caress off" and then make an Avengers attraction.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

If you can get a reservation to Le Cellier in Epcot, that's the best place I've eaten on property. I have heard great things about Artist Point, Narcoossees (at Grand Floridian), and Victoria and Alberts.

Sometimes I wish WDW had it's own version of Club 33. Not that I'd ever be able to get in, but that'd be a prime spot for some anniversary magic.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

If I ever hit the jackpot, I want to go to the the Chef's Table at Victoria and Albert's just to say I did it.

I just booked some dining for my December trip, and it's pretty simple, but I am excited. I am trying out Be Our Guest (got lucky and got added to a reservation thanks to my Aunt who will be there at the same time as me. I also booked a reservation on my own, but at 9pm the night before I leave. That seems like it might be depressing) and I decided to try out Kona Cafe for dinner and Via Napoli in Epcot for lunch.

I am looking for other table service suggestions actually, since I'll have seven credits, and only four planned uses of them.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Paul Allen posted:

drat, you all are great!

Here's a twist to the same question: I want a nice dinner AND a very nice, romantic setting. Looking at all the restaurants you all have suggested so far, it seems Le Cellier fits the bill the best.

Think that's a safe bet?

As for food: My meal was excellent. The Cheddar soup (made with beer) and Pretzel Breadsticks alone are worth it for me, but the steak I had was wonderful.

The atmosphere is cozy and secluded. It's smaller than the outside would have you believe. I think it could work well for a romantic setting quite well.

as a heads up it is Signature, so if you are on dining plan of sorts, it will cost you 2 Table Service credits per person instead of the usual 1. If you are paying out of pocket that won't be an issue.

Otherwise, make sure you reserve. It fills up fast.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Paul Allen posted:

Cozy and secluded sounds nice, especially since we'll be coming off a day or two of being around throngs of people constantly.

You are basically in the wine cellar of this building.

Except that it's also a gourmet steak house. The architecture inside is gorgeous if that sort of thing matters.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Today I nabbed a resevation at Jiko: The Cooking Place, mainly as an excuse to go over to Animal Kingdom Lodge. I will say the Filet looks pretty goddamn spectacular.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Lincoln posted:

Wow I was about to ask you what in the world you were talking about and then you posted the diagrammed space photo from space. Is this route only available after fireworks? I knew nothing about it until now.

They use it whenever the park is abnormally full. A good example is when they shoot the Christmas parade (which I just found out is going to be when I am down for my next trip. Sarcastic Hooray) they let people not interested in the parade in through there, because Main Street is blocked off for filming.

mearn posted:

Tip: Never leave after the fireworks. Magic Kingdom is almost always open a couple of hours longer and thousands of people are leaving at that time. This means a much emptier park and not having to wait in a ridiculous line to get on a monorail or ferry when you leave.

This. Often the fire works are a few hours before official close time. If you head off and do some rides or some shopping, you'll find leaving much easier.

Sometimes, the park closes directly after the fireworks, but in this case, the stores on Main Street will be open until the moment when they tell everyone to actually get the hell out. Window shop for a bit, grab a Mickey shaped sweet or something, then catch a much less crowded trip to your hotel/parking lot.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 7, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

From what I've gathered, working The Great Movie Ride is something people want to do because it looks to be a different job than it actually is. A lot of people think it's like the Jungle Cruise, only for movie nerds instead of animal lovers. Thing is, Jungle Cruise skippers have some leeway, they can improv a bit, and can pick and choose what they say and don't say. GMR has a very strict script that has to be adhered to properly or it throws timing all of.

Also when it's very busy and they are running cars back to back, the scene with the Wicked Witch sucks if you are in the back car. Our host just let the host in the car ahead of us do all the talking to the witch, so it didn't seem intereactive, it seemed boring.

It's a huge roll of the dice if you get a good show or a bad show.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Roar posted:

Definitely MK, you can tell by the costumed CM in the back.

As a fun fact, those turkey legs are 1000 calories a piece.

They also have more sodium that a loving salt mine in them.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Lincoln posted:

So I hear the final retail store at Downtown Disney closed today (Apricot Springs). What's the state of Downtown Disney now? Is it completely shut down, or are parts still open for business?

Uh, World of Disney is still kicking, as is pretty much every retailer who has moved in in the last several years. The nightculbs are almost all torn down (except The Adventurer's Club, which sits there, sadly awaiting the day.)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

While not a question about a specific travel, I am headed down in December, and I booked everything directly through Disney. Would I have saved money going through a travel agency?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Well, my trip (six nights at a value, park hopper tickets) is costing me around 1500 without travel. I find that okay (and if I were a reasonable person would have gone for less time and saved even more money, but it's Disney so I'm not reasonable.) but I am not shy about my desire to stay at places like the Polynesian or Contemporary, which I know would rack up the rate. So hearing about room discounts is certainly intriguing.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

Okay, this is kind of a large thing to ask, but the subject came up today for me, when I learned about Shades of Green.

My mother is turning 60 next year and has wanted to go to Walt Disney World since it opened, as she lived 40 miles from Disney Land and has gone 30+ times in her life, but has never managed to have enough money to go.

I am going into the navy this year, though as an enlisted so I will not exactly be rich.

I still want to take her to Walt Disney World for his 60th birthday, as that is a big date. So I have a few questions.

1. How big of a difference, quality wise, is Shades of Green from the rest of the Disney Hotels? If I want to make it big, should I spring for one of the more expensive ones? I'm sort of hesitant to do so because I know my mother enjoys shopping, and the extra money saved on hotels would be good for letting her buy lots of knick-knacks.

2. How much should I expect to spend time wise if I want to be able to show her all four parks?

3. How much money should I expect to spend not including travel or souvenirs, with SoG or other more recommended hotels. I'd like for us to go around September to October, because my mother's very sensitive to humidity and heat.

I know all of these will change by the time that it's next year, but the fact is that I'll be making about 1500 a month on average for the next year, so I'll need to start saving soon. I know it's a little outside my means and should wait, but while my mom is still active (2+ mile walks every day) I don't want to risk her getting to where she wont enjoy it as much before we go. So hey, if I have to budget myself and barely have any money until then, that's fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuDYON2zYgw
this is a good overview of military stuff at Disney World.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Malt posted:

I've stayed at Shades of Green three times over the past 10 years . You will get a pretty nice room and all the perks of staying at a Disney Resort for a fraction of the price. I would say the rooms are about the same quality as a mid range resort. Its missing the shopping, restaurants, and themes of the other hotels, but its extremely easy to get to them if there is something you or she wanted to do.

My personal recommendation for how much time to spend would be 5 days. Spend one day at each park with a single park pass, cheaper than the park hopper, and take the fifth day to shop Downtown Disney, see and do things at the other resorts, and just relax. You could do the 4 parks in as little as three days with the park hopper assuming you are going during one of the slower times of the year. Magic Kingdom one day then decide if you rather do a full day at MGM or Epcot. Then squeeze Animal Kingdom and the one you decided into a single day.

While the fan in me say "Day of shopping? PFFT" I do agree that's a solid plan.

If you do try to cram in Animal Kingdom into a day, I recommend squeezing it in first in the morning, since the cool things to do there tend to get long lines later in the day.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

Hopefully the four day parkhoppers are still around next year, which is likely what I'd end up getting if so. That'd let me do the five day thing, with four days of parks and the last day for shopping at Downtown Disney.

Are the dining plans worth getting? Would I pay more for dining plans than I would for regular food on average?

That depends on where and what you want to eat. If you are fine with just getting burgers and fries, you may not want or need the plans, but if you want to do some sit down dining, they could be a help. Dining plans allow me to eat at some placed I wouldn't otherwise due to the price.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Fejsze posted:

To clarify, AFAIK they don't actually take a fingerprint scan, just a scan of the outline of your finger. People freaked out back when they implemented it.

Now they apparently have RFID turnstyles, which will cut down on the resale practice by quite a bit. http://allears.net/pl/fingerscan.htm

They are slowly rolling out MyMagic+ which intergrates RFID chips into both the normal hard tickets and a bracelet that guests can wear that acts the same as their ticket (as well as their room key, charge card, reservation keeper, ect)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Yeah, kind of pissed they aren't offering it at Art of Animation. That's kind of bullshit, and it'd save me some money.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I could switch hotels feasibly, yes, but I had chosen AoA to try it out. It looks like a cool colorful fun resort, and I know it's still got that New Resort smell, but I can't see the sense in telling certain guests "Oh no, you don' qualify."

I mean, I'd even still be paying money because I'd pay the difference to upgrade from the Value Resort "Quick Service" plan to a Regular plan. TAKE MY MONEY, DISNEY. I SWEAR, I WANT YOU TO!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

My boss went to an agent training program at Disney a month or so ago and the official Disney word on My Disney Experience is "We're running a bit behind" which I take to mean "This is a giant clusterfuck." I have noticed on the My Disney Experience part of the website that they had a place for getting FastPasses to quick service restaurants, which is pretty crazy, I think. Looks like it's been removed, though.

I realize things are running behind schedule, but I wish they would disable the MDE section of their website until they can get it properly functional. It's creating lots of chaos and my clients are freaking out because their reservations aren't showing up properly and then they think I'm not doing my job.

The new MDE site makes paying vacation payments to Disney quite the clusterfuck. I had to do an online chat with a Disney agent just to get a url to give them money.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

People get really mental about free dining. I didn't have any clients run off to book themselves, but some of my colleagues did. When you use a TA to make an initial reservation, the client can't come in and change anything, only the TA can. What happened is that people went ahead and made their own reservations and then cancelled the ones with the TA which is a pretty lovely thing to do.

One other thing to keep in mind is that Disboarders are a totally different animal. They're not like your everyday person on the street who likes Disney a whole bunch. For some of the Disboarders, it's practically a religion. They can be quite zealous. And again, free dining makes everyone insane.

The Disboard is a scary daunting place. I post on a few Disney World forums, and goddamn, I have no idea where to even begin there. I am considering attending an event they are throwing at Hollywood Studios that happens to be when I'm down there, but man, I have no idea what to expect.

I do like all the people on the DIS podcast though.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

The new fastpass options for Disney guests that are booking and staying at their resorts thereby creating yet another level or priority fastpass. As if the fastpass wasn't a stupid clusterfuck that screws people who did not arrive first thing to claim them or have the time to run from attraction to attraction and collect them. The grand vision was to speedily move people through attractions and has become reviled because if you and your family have been in line for an hour and you watch people fly by you are naturally going to become even more upset sitting there. For the most part the desirable attractions now have absurd wait times. We were at the park for the 24-hour event and the fast pass was not being used and even though the park was packed the wait times were 30 minutes or less. FP screwed the pooch in my opinion and this new iteration is going to make people even more angry.

Well, it seems as if FP+ once it is fully integrated will be offering a more limited amount of passes than the current system, which will mean a slight decrease in Standby time. It won't be guaranteed short waits or anything, but it should help to ease the backup that FP can cause

One thing I do like is FP+ limits how many passes you personally can have out (currently 3, probably will change to 4, at least for Magic Kingdom) and when you make your reservations they will often give you an extra Fastpass to a specific attraction. So, you book Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain and a spot at the Parade, and it may spit out a Haunted Mansion to you for fun. That's kind of cool. It will be weird to see rides that have never needed FP use the system though.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Fish Of Doom posted:

Plus Splash Mountain is around 12 minutes in length at Disneyworld and is far superior to the one at Disneyland, having more scenes and more drops, so it's a good ride to just chill on at the end of the day. In fact, now that I think about it, almost every doubled attraction at WDW is better and/or longer like Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain. The only one I can think of where Disneyland's is better is Pirates.

DL's Space Mountain seems like less of a death trap from what I hear, but having never been there, I don't know.

I do like that WDWs Tower of Terror is the best of the bunch by virtue of being built differently, and Disney realizing it was far too complicated and expensive to duplicate, so they just redid the experience for each park that has gotten it since.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Nathilus posted:

What do you mean by WDW's Space Mountain being a death trap? Like all other rides there, it was designed and is operated with safety in mind above everything else. I only know of one death in the history of the ride. Oh, whoops. I just checked that and there have been two more since I worked there, both due to natural causes and not any kind of ride issue. Cancer and a heart attack, in case you're curious The one I knew about happened decades ago and involved a dude standing up during the ride. I can't find this documented anywhere at the moment but I'm pretty sure it actually happened, vs. just being one of the dozens of cast member rumors.

That said, DL Space Mountain is definitely more technologically advanced than the one in WDW and probably a better experience.

It was kind of a joke. I find the ride in WDW to be rickety and I know for a fact how close the beams are over head and it always feels a little treacherous.

That said, I know it's the safest coaster of it's kind because it's on Disney World property.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Roar posted:

The newer (>1997ish) attractions though are super safe backstage which makes them kind of boring and uninteresting.

Unless your name is Primeval Whirl, which means you are a lovely off the shelf carnival coaster co-opted to be a Disney ride. and people fall off you frequently.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's funny to see people think they can game the system by using the Single Rider line. "Oh, they'll let us sit together."

Nope. You are going to get split up. It's gonna happen.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

The new refillable mug program is live. Basically, you pay $5.99 for a plastic mug with an RFID chip in it. For $3 per day you can refill it with as much soda as you want in any resort quick service restaurant. Once your prepaid days have passed, your mug will deactivate.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. I get that people cheat the system, but drat, Disney, cut us a friggin break.

On the one hand, yeah, it seems like overkill, but on the other, I do like that it makes the mug cheaper for people with shorter stays. It used to be like, what, 15 bucks flat rate? Now you pay for the mug and only the amount of time you want to use it (unless you have a dining plan, where it'll be good for the length of your stay)

The mug has a chip in it, and the soda machine reads the chip before it dispenses liquid. If the chip is not active, the machine won't give you soda. There is also a 5 min. window after you use the mug before you can use it again.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Braksgirl posted:

Just found out I got selected to test Magic Bands when I go in October. I'll report back after my trip.

How far in advance to they normally give notice for that. I am hoping that it extends to AoA for my December trip (Probably not)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It seems as if the issues are all in the hardware (which is kind of silly. You'd think a billion would buy you better stuff or at least the chance to fix it before letting people try it) but the actual concept seems to be working well. I read some people who were testing who said once they got the bands working properly, they were able to reserve FastPasses with ease and even change them on the fly based on a whim or changed plan. It just seems that the readers and the bands take some tinkering with.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Happitoo posted:

YAY! Magic Bands and Fastpass+ became available today to set up for my October trip!

First impressions of FP+ are:

Kind of unwieldy to set up your initial selections and get times set up. You have to pick the attractions. Then you're assigned times. Then you have to go into each fast pass, pick "change time", pick all the people you're changing the time for, and then actually change the time to something you want. I doubt a lot people will even realize they're able to change the selected times they're originally given/assigned.

When they announced the plans for FP+ they mentioned being able to get fastpasses for Fantasmic/fireworks/parades but I didn't see a single one. Some people claim they've gotten them for some days but personally I didn't see anything. I would love to give up a dumbo FP for a special viewing area for Main St Electrical Parade, or Star Tours for Fantasmic, but so far, nothing. Maybe they'll open later, or maybe they're doing away with it because they figured out it was a massive hassle.

I like the fastpasses for the smaller attractions, since my daughter is small. A fastpass for Space Mountain or Expedition Everest doesn't do me any good as she can't ride them. But one for Barn Stormer is great.

It took me the better part of an hour to set them all up for the week I'm going, but that may be because I was pretty picky about timing. otherwise it could have been done in 10 minutes. I still would like if it was faster though.

I know Illuminations is testing FP+ seating areas in certain sections of of World Showcase lagoon.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

The pool is also pretty goddamn bitchin' at Coronado.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

mearn posted:

It's not the easiest site to navigate, but I've found http://www.easywdw.com/ 's crowd calendars to be great. They've also got live wait times for the four parks, which come in handy.

To give an idea of just how dead it is right now, I went to Hollywood Studios yesterday, arrived at noon, did Rock 'n Roller Coaster, Star Tours, Muppetvision, Tower of Terror and Great Movie Ride, then left at 2:30.

The guy who runs easywdw is also pretty goddamn funny. His park updates are also great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

or ask one of us locals who have annual passes and go almost every weekend. ;)

Case in point, if you want Sea World information for example...

What's the park look like today?

Well, the park opens at 9 AM and as you can see the main parking lot is pretty empty right now and no steady flow of cars arriving.

drat, Blackfish seems to be causing more of a problem than I thought for them.