Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I can say that I plan to do a signature dining option to use up some of my table service credits. I am not the kind of vacationer who wants a nice sit down dinner every single night of the trip, so I figure I can blow two of the credits on a really nice meal that I wouldn't be able to afford out of pocket (or would balk at the price at the very least) and then buy a sandwich for lunch or something.

On that note, I just had plans work out really well in my favor. I had originally booked Jiko. I was curious and heard good things, but I am also kind of picky when it comes to foreign flavors, so I was nervous. Then I decided to make that my Epcot day, and realized leaving the park and then trying to come back for the fireworks would not be possible, even if I pushed my reservation up. Bummed me out, since Illuminations is my favorite of the firework shows at the parks. So I found a different day with Artist Point that seemed to work out well, but Artist Point isn't really on my must do list.

Today a Yachtsman reservation opened up for a great time on the Epcot day, and since it's pretty close by I think I can make my Epcot plans work and have a great meal. I am excited, and December should come here now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

One of the perks of staying at the Polynesian is their counter service has it's own Dole Whip machine.

Less of a line than in the park. I actually prefer the Citrus Swirl.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I don't know if any of you regulars visit any online forums for Disney World visitors, but holy christ, most are like hundreds of people sitting in a corner going "Disney did a thing. I don't like it. Harumph" and then they get up and spend 2 grand on a vacation to the parks.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

warheadr posted:

Well I just went onto the MyDisney site and put my Will Call # in, and it linked up my tickets. Asked me to choose a person to assign each ticket to. Once I did that I can now go into the FastPass+ area and start choosing, which I couldn't before so that's nice to see. Looks pretty easy to select a park and rides for each day. I keep reading everywhere that the phone app is almost necessary inside the park, as you can choose new rides and times all day so long as that particular FP+ hasn't been "cashed in" yet so that answers my concerns about locking myself in to a very specific itinerary.

Now it's just the issue of availability. 3 per day seems so low, but maybe I'm totally remembering wrong on how the old FP systems used to work and it's really no different. I guess if I'm able to modify rides and times the day of while in the park on my phone it's OK to go ahead and choose some now just in case...

As of this current moment (meaning it could change tomorrow if Disney so chooses) if you are testing FastPass+ you also have access to the old FastPass system. For FastPass+ you use your MagicBand, for the old system, you use the Key to the World room key that will also be given to you at check in (Your Band will cover every function of the room key/park ticket/charge card, but it can't access the old FastPass system, as they are just waiting to eventually phase the old system out. For now though, book some experiences with the new, and then if you can, grab a few paper passes as well.

Magic Kingdom is such a high demand park that now, in a lot of cases, you will actually recieve four FastPass reservations, depending. Usually what happens is you will pick for your top attractions. Let's say you want Big Thunder, Splash Mountain, and a Meet and Greet with Mickey. Disney may then give you a fourth one for an attraction of their choosing (usually an attraction that now has FP that hasn't before, like Haunted Mansion or It's a Small World) and when the time comes, if there are alternate experiences avalible, you can swap that out for a different attraction if you desire. "Oh, Haunted Mansion doesn't have much of a wait, but I'd love to ride Space Mountain and it has a slot open." Boom.

I am so fascinated with this new system and I hope that these expanded tests keep going for when I go. I know it's probably going to continue testing throughout the end of the year, but man, I want me a MagicBand to test all this new stuff out.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

When I booked mine, I was warned that if I stayed two days longer (or if my trip was shifted slightly) I wouldn't be able to book the room I will be in for my entire trip and would have to do a split trip. Luckily my trip length is just perfect, and I don't have any desire to move it or extend it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Here's a question for people who go more often than me...

Would you recommend the Very Merry Christmas Party? I am going to be there while it takes place, and it seems like a fun thing, plus a way to enjoy the Magic Kingdom till late...but is it worth it overall?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

I had never seen a Scrooge McDuck meet and greet at the parks before, so that alone made the Christmas Party worth it.

They brought him out (with the nephews) as part of the weird Limited TIme Magic promotion thing they are doing this year, but only for a week. I will gladly go to a Christmas party so I can get a photo with McDuck.

Edit: As to the Lost MagicBand thing. You go to the main help desk at the park in question and tell them you lost it, they'll deactivate it and issue you a new one. The new one will be the standard grey one without any personalization. If you lose it again, then you have to pay a replacement fee. So, don't lose it twice.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 12, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I've been saying for years that an adult/teen Halloween/Villain themed event at Hollywood Studios would do insanely well and be a) a good counter programing to the Not So Scary Party and b) give them something to kind of match Universal's Horror Nights.

So I am not at all surprised that it was packed.

Apparently Disneyland was equally packed, but a lot weirder.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

No, this went beyond packed... I was there for Studio opening and numerous special events, this poo poo was nuts. My brother is going to find out the numbers on Monday and will tell me.

That they reached capacity astounds me. I was down there during Spring Break once, and Magic Kingdom was at capacity most days, but Epcot/DHS/AK never got even close.

I hope they make it an event like Not So Scary. I'd love to go.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

If I could afford it, I'd stay at Boardwalk. It's a great resort, and has lots to do, plus the accessibility of it is just insane.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Speaking of the Epcot area resorts, I am going to be going to the Yachtsman on a day I am currently planning on spending in Epcot. Which would be a better option, taking the boat or walking?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Here's an odd question.

When you buy directly through Disney, they give you a date you have to pay things off by. Mine is 0ctober 18th.

Does anyone know if Disney is at all flexible about this date? I am waiting for some funds to hit my account, and they shout hit before that date, but if they don't, I want to know if I can call them up and be like "Hey, can we shift that back a bit" or something.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I think if you go to the Sci Fi Dine In alone, you end up sharing a table, just because of the way they work. That might be interesting.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

If you don't have a reservation for Fantasmic (either through the dining package or the Fastpass+ system) it is recommended you arrive at least an hour before show time to get a decent seat. It's a hugely popular show (and a great show to boot, although I am told Disneyland's is better)

When they set up Fastpass+ they moved the reservation section from a patch off to the side to the center of the amphitheater so now you get a seat in a good section and you don't have to wait butt loads of time for them.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Maybe it's me, but the best burger I've had on property is Pecos Bill's in Magic Kingdom. Their BBQ Burger is so good.

(Of course I am told that if I head over to Tomorrowland, their burger joint is the exact same setup just in a futuristic joint, so maybe I am just easily swayed by fast food)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I'll stick to Pecos Bill's.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Roar posted:

Ignore both Cosmic Rays and Pecos Bill and eat at Casey's.

I can't think of a single other QSR location at MK that even comes close to Casey's. Columbia Harbor House mayyybeee but it's too expensive for what you get.

I am pretty much making a beeline for the chilli dog when I get to Magic Kingdom on my trip

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

My aunt uses the GAC for my cousin who has severe autism, and I am not sure this is going to go over well with people like her. Some kids with autism can't take being told to wait, and my cousin is one of them. I truly get what Disney is going to do, but this change is really strong and is going to cause headaches for both parents and Disney itself. I don't expect this to roll out out like it's being talked about, or if it does, I don't expect it to stay this way.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I know that Disneyland is making a huge effort to go and make all of it's rides Handicapped accessible, especially the older stuff. Disney World doesn't really have that problem at the moment, so wheelchairs and such can go through most queues, so I think they are going to start asking people in wheelchairs just to do the normal line if they are okay to transfer out of the chair and into a ride vehicle. If they can't transfer, they'll make special arrangements, like on it's a small world where they have a differently designed boat, or Toy Story Mania, where one of the ride vehicles can allow wheelchairs to slide into it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

mearn posted:

This has been the case, at least in Florida. GACs were meant for disabilities that aren't immediately visible and go beyond "I am in a wheelchair." That my not be how it goes in reality, but is how it's supposed to be used anyway.

On my last trip, My sister was in a wheelchair for part of it because of a flare up in her Chronic Lyme symptoms. We went through almost every line like normal (except for the Safari, where about halfway through, they let us skip a bit because the path is rough for wheelchairs, apparently)

So Disney World has always kind of had a "Just in a wheelchair? Please use the normal line, it's wide enough"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Of the monorail resorts, I much prefer the Poly, but I love that kind of faux-tiki atmosphere, and drinking a pineapple full of rum and punch is my idea of a pretty good time.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

Ate at the Kona Cafe the other night, drank one of these, feels good man.

I have a dinner reservation there in December. Gonna eat meat slathered in teriyaki and pineapple chunks and drink my weight in rum punch, then hit the Magic Kingdom. Nothing in this plan can go horribly wrong at all.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

Actually it can, because nowhere in this plan does it say "eat all of the pretty sushi". Any plan without that step is no plan I'd like to follow. (Also banana/chocolate creme brûlée and awesome sticky wings and goddammit I'm hungry again oh well time for brunch at Boma followed by eating and drinking my weight in Epcot food)

Some of the stuff at Food and Wine this year looks delightful. And expensive. RIP your wallet.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Just did Online Check In for my stay in December. Feels good man.

Here's hoping that puts me in their sights for MagicBands and all those goodies.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I've been browsing wdwmagic to sort of pass some of the time before my next trip, and their reactions to MyMagic+ is hilariously overblown. I know I've mentioned how funny I find their freakouts before, but this one is just something else.

One guy keeps changing the name of MyMagic+ and FastPass+ to various negative things (I've seen My(Bad)DisneyExperience, MyMagicNegative) Its like a Rebuplican who might call Obama something like Obummer or Obungle. It borders on insane.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Circutron posted:

Go into WDW1974's thread if you want some prime insanity. I mean, I'm not that happy about MyMagic+ myself, but Jesus... That place is like concentrated awful at times.

I read about three pages of that thread before I decided my blood pressure didn't need to get that worked up over a loving theme park forum.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Zachack posted:

Few WDW questions:

-Does the new fastpass+ system (which I'll be getting in November) mean that while I get three fastpasses in advance there will be other non-fp+ people who can use endless fastpasses all day long? I've only used fastpass at Disneyland so I'm not sure if it's different in WDW.

The FP+ system gives you three slots a day at one park. You can't park hop and use a FP at another park, so you have to kind of think ahead in that regard. At the moment, the old FastPass system is still in effect as well, and guests are welcome to use both. The old FP system doesn't have a limit to how many you can have in a day, but there is a limit to how many you can have at a time, mainly one until the time on your current pass arrives. However, Some rides are on a separate system in Magic Kingdom, which is weird. Basically you can get a FastPass for Space Mountain which is part of the main system, a FastPass for Little Mermaid, For Dumbo and something else, because Dumbo and Little Mermaid run on their own system not connected to most of the park. It's strange, but hey. With that and the addition of FP+ you could have like six fastpasses for a day in Magic Kingdom.

Of course, once FP+ goes live to everyone (end of the year/start of next as I hear it) the old system will be removed and only FP+ can be used.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Paid off my trip in December AND I got added to MyMagic+, so this has been a pretty sweet in the countdown to Disney fun.

gently caress the haters, this FastPass+ thing is fun.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Yes, the reservation date is 180 days out from your trip plus seven days, meaning that at 180 days out you can book reservations for seven days worth of vacation, even if some of them don't fall under 180 days quite yet.

This is partially why booking, even 180 days out, can be a huge pain in the butt. I wanted Be Our Guest for my trip and on 180 days, they had one spot, which was the night before I leave at like 9pm. I took it just in case, but then I got added to my aunt (who is there around the same time) reservation earlier in the week at a much more reasonable dinner time.

Still, sometimes you get lucky. I was browsing options for one night's dinner, and the Yachtsman, which hadn't been available at all suddenly had a slot open, which I grabbed quickly.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Tomato Soup posted:

So if my family decides to go in January 2014 (we've been just tossing around the idea), are we screwed on reservations for nicer restaurants? We'd have two people with birthdays in January (both on the same day :toot:) if that would help things any.

The nicer venues will be out for sure as well as Be Our Guest, except for lunch, which is counter service and doesn't require a reservation (but will have a loooooong line)

However, you can get lucky. I just did a random search for January 13th as a test (also, it's my Birthday, so why not) And it seems like right now a lot of good options are open. California Grill, Jiko, Boma, even Le Celier. A tip would be to think about Epcot, things like Le Celier get booked fast, but goddamn, almost every other restaraunt there has lots of space open and some are really god.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

ExplodingChef posted:

So, my awesome wife surprised me with a DisneyWorld vacation. Planned it out for months before springing it. Doing 2 days at Epcot, 1 at Hollywood, 1 at MK. Had a couple questions.

1) What are the must-do rides? I'll ride whatever, my wife won't ride much of anything, but she's willing to wait in line with me.

2) Anyone done the Party for the Senses? She got us the reserved private area tickets for it, and it looks like the kind of thing we're going to need to be drunkenly wheelbarrowed out of.

3) We'll be going to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. I've heard that we should get buttons from somewhere or another and also drop the fact that it's our anniversary whenever we can work it into conversation. I'm guessing special treatment is more of a YMMV kind of thing depending on the CM you run in to?

1. At Epcot, Soarin and Test Track are my must rides. Mission Space is also apparently pretty great, but its the one ride with a blood pressure warning that I actually pay attention to.

as for Hollywood Studios, most of the big rides are all fun. Tower of Terror, Toy Story, Star Tours, are all great times (Toy Story takes a bit of planning though, since the lines are always insane. The ride has the worst capacity for any Disney ride on property) I also hear Rock N Roller Coaster is pretty great, but that's one I've not had to ride (The best coaster on property is at Animal Kingdom, so kind of a bummer you aren't doing at least half a day there)

Magic Kingdom has so many fun attractions it's hard to pick, but the Mountains are great (Splash, Big Thunder, and Space) and old dark rides like Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean are excellent as well.

3. Just visit Guest Services at your first park and ask them or a "Celenbration" button. I believe Anniversary is one of the standard ones they have, but if not, they can write that on a blank one with a sharpie.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Ryen Deckard posted:

Can't you reserve fast passes online now? I haven't been to WDW in like 8 months so I'm honestly not sure.

if you are part of the MyMagic+ roll out, then yes. That is currently most of the people staying at most Disney owned resorts on property. However, they are allotting Paper FastPasses (which work as they always have) for the regular guests, and it's just not enough for how busy it is. Part of it is the new system, but it's also just so goddamn busy (which is weird for October, I think)

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 23, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

You also can't book the same ride twice in the same day. Kind of a bummer.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

This may come as a shocker but you can still get in line for the ride..

Oh, I know. I actually enjoy waiting in line most of the time. I just found it nice that some days if FP weren't flying off the shelf, I could book a few trips on my favorite ride, which isn't possible for a number of reasons with the new system.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Lincoln posted:

There are entire websites dedicated to answering that single question. The differences in the attractions are mostly superficial, and Disney's been working hard to close the gap as much as possible, mostly by retrofitting Disneyland one piece at a time.

Thing is, DL was built by Walt Disney and some of his friends. WDW was built in large part by Corporate Disney, so they're built on two totally different operating models. Ever since, they've been tweaking DL to fit the WDW model, and that work continues to this day. Still, there are some things about DL that just can't change, mostly because of geography. The first thing you'll notice when you walk into WDW is that it's very broad and spread out. There's no need for a berm, since there's nothing outside the park boundaries to visually block out.

I spent plenty of time at DL as a kid, since my family lived in Huntington Beach. Then we moved to Texas when I was young, and I grew up. My wife and I went to WDW several times starting when we were about 30. Then we went back to DL when I was almost 40, and it was my first visit since I was like 12 or so. Since I had become accustomed to WDW, and had only fuzzy memories of DL, I thought it felt really small and canyon-like. The biggest differences aren't in the attractions, but in the way the parks were built, and the way they feel. DL fans say it's more "intimate," and I get what they're saying. DL also tends to use more genuine materials like real wood and stone, where WDW uses a lot of fiberglass and other engineered materials (though I hear the new Storybook Circus breaks that trend, and uses a lot of genuine materials, and has a really nice visual texture).

This is Disneyland's Fantasyland:

This is Walt Disney World's Fantasyland:

WDW's "New Fantasyland" will shake things up quite a bit, but the general rule still stands.

Disneyland also often runs on the assumption that it is more of a "locals" park. WDW is a world wide tourist destination, and while Disneyland gets some of that, it's a lot of people who live in that area of California. This gives them the freedom to do things that Disney World can't, such as extensive holiday overlays to certain attractions. It also means they are less upset about shutting down a ride to refurbish it as Disney World is. Disney World execs liken ride refurbs to getting teeth pulled.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

My last full trip was one where my family decided to stay off property (because we had condo days to use up and it only cost us like 50 bucks to make it a place in Orlando rather than where the Condo actually is in Ft. Lauderdale) but my aunt was staying on property. Without us knowing, she made a note that at some point, she'd have a rent-a-car, and they provided her with the parking slip for the car, which she then gave to us so we could park at both her resort and the park parking lots without having to worry about paying.

I am glad I don't have to fuss with any of that this coming trip. I am used to bus travel in my school/work life.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Found out that when I go in a few weeks, the day I arrive, they shut down it's a small world for two weeks. That is going to seriously cut into my plans for comedy internet posts about the horror of creepy dolls.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Crazyweasel posted:

So magic has extra hours from 1am -3 am today...seems late, does anything cool happen or like crazy events that let's/early that make it worth staying?

I assume the 1am "close" is just to accommodate the incoming Thanksgiving crowds, and Monday night is Extra Magic Hours every week usually, so they gotta keep that poo poo open.

demonR6, do you live behind Fantasyland or something? I imagine they'll have wishes at 8 or 9 like they usually do, and then throw in an extra Main Street Electrical Parade at 11. That's usually how they handle entertainment on a late night.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

News update from crazy Disney fan sites: certain kinds of people should not be allowed to come to Disney World, because it ruins it for the true fans.

Holy poo poo, I need to stop reading these things, but I cannot. Its like a train wreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

Come on, man, you can't say that and not give us a link.

It's lost in a 50 page thread (50 pages since YESTERDAY) about MyMagic+ causing money issues company wide. Basically one guy who has sources in the company was being snarky to people who purport to enjoy their vacation, I decided to call him out on it (and was promptly asked not to by the moderators) and then someone was like "Hey, the real problem is that Disney allows the hillbilly folk that they do, those people shouldn't be allowed to come, ruining our good thing" essentially.

Apparently if you don't stomp your feet and demand Disney give you new rides every fiscal quarter, you are a hillbilly.