Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I got the basic gist of my Disney assignment today. All I know thus far is Fantasyland Attractions. I was kind of disappointed at first, but now I am kind of like...yeah, let's do this.

Edit: Perfect view of Epcot (I think) fireworks from the balcony of my apartment. Yeah. I think I like living here.

How long are you gonna be there for again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Roar posted:

It's to make sure the ride is perfect for guests once it opens officially :shobon:

The cast will iron out the bugs!

Or the bugs will iron out the cast :black101:

Roar posted:

It's blocked out for CM comp-admittance.

I'm surprised it's not blacked out for a hell of a lot more than that. It's going to be a mad house.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Since I was tiny I always wanted to go look at that stupid Honey I Shrunk The Kids playground. I'm pretty determined to walk in there, pat the climbing ant and leave just so I can say I did. :colbert:

Rainforest Cafe is great themeing and great drinking but drat their stuff is overpriced. Not like, Disney overpriced. Just overpriced overpriced.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

So I flew from Boston to San Francisco to see my parents for a few weeks and have decided to take a last minute trip down to Anaheim

Its about time I checked out Carsland

But man. Last minute hotel prices are less fun.

Radiator Springs Racers is great. The rest of it looks like cheapo carnival rides to me. The themeing is spot on though. It looks like you walked right into the movie, so that's well done. Flo's was DEAD when we were there but seeing as it's the end of May, hit the fast pass or single ride line for RSR then go get food (if you wanna eat in cars land) in my opinion.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:ohdear: I just reserved plane tickets and I'm putting to the test how much I know about all this stuff.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

This is gonna sound so stupid, but D6 you got any idea what Le Cellier can do for a vegetarian? I can totally just sit there and eat poutine and broccoli or something like that.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Braksgirl posted:

No dining plan at Shades of Green.

No Disney Dining Plan at shades of green. There's a couple shades of green packages with on-resort dining included (sunrise package, red white and blue salute, the current discounts going on for august/september/october/november). But nothing that'll help you at the parks. Still, it's nice to get breakfast thrown in at Garden Gallery since you're right there on shades of green resort anyway.

Magnolia Spa is right there at shades of green and it's supposed to be one of the nice ones. I don't know poo poo about it though, unfortunately. I'm not a spa-y person. A little poking around for reviews oughta get you some though.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I try really hard not to turn into Disney Hitler. If they're all screaming for Main St for a showing of the fireworks I'll probably just warn them it's going to be crowded and we need to get there super early. If we're taking votes, I'll tell them a few different options for parades and fireworks and things like that. As far as park layout, I tend to overplan that and have different maps for the same day. That way when we get off course because the shootin' gallery is totally open or whatever, I can figure out where's best to go next depending on the time of day/probable crowd levels.

I make suggestions but I don't try to make them the only option, basically.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

PkerUNO posted:

So offer different options, all of which are decent, in an effort to both get your own way AND make it seem like they have free will?

I actually really like that!

Will have to experiment with these mind games next time.

:psyduck: No, you offer honest suggestions and if they're outvoted then they are. It's no big deal. It's Disney, not life or death.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

demonR6 posted:

I'm the guy who is not being coy about telling the idiots using flash "Hey are you idiots deaf they said no flash photography?"

There is other aneurysm level things I get bent over but the flash thing really really flips my trigger so don't think you are alone.

If you're in the park in September I wanna meet up with you in Pirates just so I can take endless flash photograph and you can scowl deeply and seriously.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Happitoo posted:

DisBoards.com has a section dedicated to singles travel that may have a thread about meeting up with other singles (they used to). Of course DisBoards people are loving crazy, so you may end up getting shanked if you forget the name of a dwarf or something. Also non-stop bitching about FP+.

Also they're all fat as hell and insist on screaming and demanding "pooh-sized" rights/rides. Disboards should be sponsored by rascal. And I'm saying that as a fat person.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nathilus posted:

I got my towering hatred for and disdain of fat people while working at WDW. You get a pass for being a goon, so we're cool; but only like 1 out of 20 fat people you have to deal with there are normal people. There's nothing quite like getting accosted by the Screaming Pale Jelly Slug Men/Women of Kathmandu while you're on the job there and can't defend yourself.

I got 5-year-old-esque screaming temper tantrums pulled on me 4-5 times during my stay there and it was ALWAYS One Of Those People.

That's because either they're too whalish to fit in the ride or their baby didn't get to meet that princess over there or some other stupid thing that they won't care about in a year or that they could fix with better planning. Or who the gently caress knows. I saw a lot of that poo poo at Disneyland last time we were there and I was really thrown by it. Who the hell gets mad at a cast member because you're too fat to fit in a ride? Who screams because Rapunzel needs to go have a smoke break? Calm the hell down.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nathilus posted:

Haha can you imagine that garbage fermenting in your stomach on a nice balmy 105 degree day? Sounds like a recipe for puke, no thanks.

drat, that's why you go after animal kingdom closes for the day. Obviously.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tell them if it's so expensive, don't come. This will leave room in line for other families who want to pay to come. And hang up.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tomapot posted:

Just booked a family trip to WDW in November, just catching the end of F&W festival. Any idea when the schedule or tickets become available?

For what? F&W is included with regular admission. The schedule, who knows. I'm waiting on it myself.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It's available but it's like trying to get dinner reservations to Be Our Guest.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

demonR6 posted:

Heh, it was about 10:15 PM.. we had just left Dumbo and were killing time till our 10:30 FP @ Buzz. You know that location on the South side of the ride where you work some Disney magic with a key and the ride starts? We were right there standing next to it by the fence. Wife was like "Say something.." huh? WTF do you want me to say, the guy is busy working and you can see he is by himself and about to start the ride. Oh I got it!! "Hello goon.. it's me." Yeah that would be just ginchy.

"Have you ever watched a frog masturbate by the pale moonlight?" would be my guess at your opener.

Crowd prediction sites are really wary about Universal this year and everybody seems to think that they're going to be swamped due to Diagon Alley. But they're crowd prediction sites and they aren't always accurate.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I think they're both pretty stupid to be honest. Star Wars would translate badly into a land as much as everyone wants it. They're basically already doing everything that's worth doing with it. With the update to Star Tours you can already "go" to most planets casual fans would know. I guess you could throw some meet and greets in there, but what else could you do? You already have the jedi training academy. Star Wars is pretty tapped in what they could actually do.

Avatar is just goofy and I think it's going to be one giant blooper in the end. Avatar's faded pretty hardcore from public consciousness and I want to see what they'll do to try to remind people of the weird blue rabbit cat people for the next 10-15 years to get money back on it.

I'm still surprised they've never done the mythological creatures park for Animal Kingdom, and even more surprised that they haven't translated way more Pixar things into Disney Hollywood Studios.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

If they do it right, Avatarland will be like Carsland out in Cali in that it takes a property not a lot of people over the age of 12 give a real poo poo about and turn it into a really cool themed environment with entertaining rides.

If they don't, whooooops.

Having been to Carsland I was totally unimpressed and we were there for all of 20 minutes after riding Radiator Springs Racers and we bought nothing, not even food. I think it's a giant moneysink too. But that bug's life land is so much worse. DCA is a cheap, somewhat poorly planned park in general and I don't think we were there for even an entire day the first time I'd ever stepped foot in the park. I see the comparison you're making, though, and... it's probably how I'll feel about Avatarland.

demonR6 posted:

Too late.. the area where Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular down to where Muppets is going away or gone and making way for Star Wars area and the area adjacent to that all the way to the Lights, Camera, Action! stunt show is out to make way for our own Carsland here at Hollywood Studios.

Yeah I'd heard that rumor too. Radiator Springs Racers (or it's FL equivelent) will draw people because it's a nice little ride when all is said and done, but I think Star Wars will pop and then die pretty quick. I still think they'd do better to have an all-around Pixar-themed land rather than doing Carsland version 2. Pixar's got a ton to work with. Cars has 2 movies and that awful planes movie.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

demonR6 posted:

Even the American Idol Experience is done.. not that it was not time for it to go anyways but this is a pretty significant overhaul that is going on here. IJ was dated but it still kept a packed audience and so did the stunt car show. That poo poo would practically fill the entire arena every show I ever went to.

Afaik IJ is supposed to keep running through to October, possibly longer. The stunt car show was but with the most recent wreck I'm really not sure what's going on with it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Squack McQuack posted:

Does anybody have opinions on the Caribbean? My girlfriend is leaning towards staying there.

All I ever hear is "It's a HUGE resort and you'll regret it by the time you're done at a park for the day".

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

demonR6 posted:

Remember kids keep your loving hands in the ride at all times..

Man loses tips of two fingers on Pirates of the Caribbean..

There's a huge complaint thread on disboards (surprise surprise, but bear with me) about how POC's been bashing people around (and soaking them to the bone). Maybe the guy's hand just fell over the side at the wrong second after getting rattled around a bit.

E: VVVV if that's what he did, that's pretty drat dumb.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 12, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Matoi Ryuko posted:

What's the easiest way to get costumed workers fired?

Be their girlfriend/boyfriend and gently caress them back stage in costume.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Are the mechanical dolls that are part of the 'small world' ride within striking distance of the train you ride?

It's a boat and one or two may be, but if you go for'em you're gonna get thrown out of the park.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

What are the penalties for beating the guy in the goofy costume? Do they call the police or do they just kick you out?

Depends on what coast you're on, but these days you have a higher chance of being hit with assault charges than ever.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tunga posted:

It's an FYAD game where they try to get this sentence into random threads, just ignore the idiot.

I'm sorry but this is the Disney World thread and Disney World is for everybody, including batshit insane FYADs :colbert: It's A Small Forum After All.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Food and wine fest menus (no prices) got released and goddamn they're gonna have to roll me out of Epcot.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I have a question about Labor Day crowds. Would a Disney trip over that weekend be a terrible idea? My husband and I (no kids) probably would stay at Shades of Green since he's still active military and they have a $95 per night rate plus the $169 4 day park hopper promo.

We probably would do a mix of Disney and non-Disney dining since we have to be fairly budget conscious.

Since you're on a budget I suggest looking at http://shadesofgreen.org/2014sept.htm and calculating what you'd save based on rank (or if you would).

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

I've been posting a lot on the disboards to prep for my trip next year and I catch myself sighing and shaking my head constantly at the posters over there. Does anyone else do the same? Maybe my time spent on SA and (long before) Reddit and the *chans has warped me, but those posters are just so squishy and sugary sweet. It's like reading what my mom and grandparents would be posting if they knew how to use a computer. The GBS in me has to resist the urge to reply "im gay" to every inane post on that forum.

Not to import drama, but I can't be the only one who cringes when reading what goes on in the happier, gentler parts on the internet. Or I've been too ruined to exist in society. Thanks, SA.

Every pooh sized green ribbon carrying disboards poster goes Home at least twice a year. :suicide:

They're so squishy and sugary and sweet because they're all 800 pounds and have stage 99 diabetes. Or they're on husband 4 who hasn't gotten sick of financing their crazy rear end disney trps yet.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

So my DW DD DS DHH DGD FP+'d IASM but it conflicted with DW ADR at BOG. Luckily a DTF CM BBBJCIM.

Who on earth would FP+ IASM when you have ADR at BOG I mean it's in NFL and 7DMT and ETWB are right there! IASM is all the way over by PPF and this is why I suggest people memorize a map or at least have it open in their spare browser window when you're planning your FP+ at 12:01am 60 days prior to arrival. Thank god for CMs. What a disaster that would've been! Completely vacation ruining! I mean I can't even imagine! You poor thing!!!!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It for sure depends on the kid. My three year old sister in law did better than the eight year old we had along at Disneyland.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm a non-parent but I know enough to realize all kids develop differently. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with weight or structure or whatever. There's lots of way overweight kids but that mach 4 energy only lasts so long. I think 11 is pushing it. I went down to WDW at 10 and I remember being so tired that I could barely lift my feet by the end of the day, and we just did magic kingdom. Most the kids my age were fast asleep against their parents.

Now with park hopping and people running around trying to get to fast passes, ADRs and character meets (possibly criss-crossing the park over and over and over again), I could see a 10 year old needing a place to sit for a while, if not a stroller. But then a lot of people seem to be doing midday breaks for kids under 15 or so and that should work out fine too.

If your 10 year old is getting pushed everywhere from daylight to dusk in a stroller and the kid doesn't have any medical reasons for that, it's stupid. If your 10 year old just needs pushed out of the park at the end of the day because you waaaayyy over did it, I can't say I blame the kid.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Happitoo posted:

Have you seen my limited edition Carousel of Progress 50th Anniversary T-shirt?! It's pretty awesome!

Also, why are there no CoP pins? Sure, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, It's A Small World all get pins, but no CoP :(

Probably because they'd have gleefully murdered it/gotten rid of it years ago if not for it being what it is. It's loving amazing and I love that stupid ride so much. If not gotten rid of it, they'd have rammed it full of Meet The Robinsons horrible poo poo years ago because Time Travel Something.

Every time it goes down for maintenance I get real wary it's not going to come back.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dr. Benway posted:

Are the FastPass kiosks still at the rides or has it all moved to FastPass+? We're going at the end of the month. We tend to be a little more spontaneous and will hit a couple, if not several parks in a day. Planning which park we'll be at and what we'll be doing every hour that day this far in advance really doesn't sound like much fun.

Then forget about fastpass because it's all fastpass+ now.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'm not a huge fan of throwing then-hot (well, now-hot) lays on rides that have been around for a real long time and still attract visitors. Or you know, that dumb Avatar land thing. As much as I think the idea of Starwars land is idiotic, at least those movies are well known and people can recognize a light saber and the word "jedi" from a million miles away. I don't know anybody that even knows what a navi is (or how to spell it) anymore. There's a couple more movies, sure, but social casual interest in it is dead as hell and it wasn't even released a decade ago. More people start talking about Avatar: The Last Airbender when I mention Avatar (which is rarely because it's not relevant at all) than even remember the blue rabbit kitty alien people existed.

I figure the Frozen ride will see about a bazillion people until Disney releases the next thing that the weird Disney obsessed moms buy their kids like crazy and in 10 years nobody will give a poo poo it exists and stuff like that just feels like a cheap, quick moneygrab that lacks the usual Disney effort? I dunno how to explain it without being weird. It's something Six Flags would do by rebranding a rollercoaster briefly then slapping on some new paint and declaring it's the new cool movie thing. Disney's supposed to be cool and good at making neat stuff that doesn't necessarily blow it's load endlessly about the most recent movie. If you didn't have anything Frozen, by all means throw in some Frozen stuff. But goddamn, it's everywhere and I'm glad my trip got canceled because just seeing Frozen all over everything gets kind of tiring when you aren't boners about the movie.

If Maelstrom was dead most of the time I wouldn't give a poo poo. By all means, re-make it or whatever. But it's like, the only good ride in world showcase. And now it's gonna be some dumb frozen thing that's going to have to get rehashed again in a few years when nobody cares about it. It just seems like this massive waste.

Doronin posted:

Norway is one of my favorite parts of WS, but for some reason I'm not too upset about the news. I really like Maelstrom, but at the same time, I was never overly attached to it.

If the pavilions have any function as a commercial for the countries they represent to encourage tourism, then I would think relating Frozen to Norway would have a better chance at getting someone to go see Norway than a very aged dark ride talking about vikings, trolls and oil rigs.

I'm more aggravated with the fact that what makes World Showcase the best thing in Disney is that it's an escape within an escape. It's the least Disney thing about the park, and simultaneously, somehow the most attractive part of it. I wish they could enhance Epcot with just throwing Frozen at it.

This too. And a couple other bits. There's very little education and ingenuity left to Epcot compared to when it opened. It was super smart for a while there. I'd like to see that happen more instead of throwing in movie characters or just closing pavilions. Epcot needs work but now both world showcase rides are getting boned by unnecessary disney characters thrown in there. Like, yes it's Disney but sometimes it's nice to see what Disney can do without pouring Mickey and Co constantly over my face like some sort of weird cartoon bukkake. There's lots of little areas in California that don't have a single thing to do with a specific Disney character. It's a really nice break from you know, Fantasyland (which is great, but sometimes you want a change).

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I think the comparison of B&tB and Lion King aren't necessarily fair to Frozen. Just because you've got a huge money maker doesn't mean it's got the chops to withstand the next 20 some odd years. And hell if I know how those two movies managed to do it, but man did they. I feel like they're jumping the gun to make a quick buck, basically. A year down? Yeah, they aren't doing anything special at all and it's going to be cheap and like I said, it'll feel like Six Flags rebranding a rollercoaster. Epcot needs help but it doesn't need that kind of help, and that's probably what makes me displeased about it more than anything.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Frozen attractions are about as smart as Avatar land. Unless like somebody else said it's Elsa and Anna learning how to waterbend. I'd be on board with that.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Make an Up themed dark ride out of it somehow. (It'll be more Toy Story stuff)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

demonR6 posted:

Better yet, make it a special ticket only area! Another way to extort even more money from park guests.

Well gosh in that case I hope it's a Frozen area, we don't even have one of those yet.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

I wasnt trying to imply that's bad, I was just trying to make a guess.

Carsland is great and very popular, so why not recreate it in Orlando?

Because it's already in California and it's got one good ride and two real dumb ones. You aren't going to make people visit multiple parks if they all have the same thing, basically.

The themeing is insane though and I was really impressed by that. Just not by the actual rides (RSR needs to be longer, but the ride itself is great).

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fejsze posted:

Hey now. Mater's ride is a ton of fun if you whip the buggies just right.

Luigis was also fun, before dumb rear end guests kept flipping them over and they removed the controls.

Luigi and Mater are cheapo carnival level rides and look cheap as hell and are great for kids but there's no appeal for adults (or if there is, you're impressed very easily).

My point being I feel like they're cheap cop-out rides and not even worth 10 minutes in line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I have the opportunity to go to DL for it's anniversary next year. Go or do not go? Because I bet it's going to be insane.

But I love DL and it feels so snug and homey.