Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I'll second the TouringPlans recommendation. I'm a local who visits the parks about as often as most people visit the grocery store, and sometimes stay about as long. Their crowd forecasting is usually spot-on. When they are off, they typically err on the side of caution and predict days as being more crowded than they actually are, so there's not a lot of nasty surprises. For checking wait times and show times, their app is better than Disney's official app IMO. I haven't picked up their Unofficial Guide since around 2007 or so, but it's a great resource as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Nescafe is being phased out in most locations in favor of Joffrey's which is actually decent. Not everything has moved over yet, but it's happening and it's a good thing.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

It's only open when it's really, really busy and there's a massive number of people leaving the park at once. There's a second bypass on the west side of Main Street as well.

Tip: Never leave after the fireworks. Magic Kingdom is almost always open a couple of hours longer and thousands of people are leaving at that time. This means a much emptier park and not having to wait in a ridiculous line to get on a monorail or ferry when you leave.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

It's not the easiest site to navigate, but I've found http://www.easywdw.com/ 's crowd calendars to be great. They've also got live wait times for the four parks, which come in handy.

To give an idea of just how dead it is right now, I went to Hollywood Studios yesterday, arrived at noon, did Rock 'n Roller Coaster, Star Tours, Muppetvision, Tower of Terror and Great Movie Ride, then left at 2:30.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

World Showcase can get pretty ridiculously busy in the afternoons/evenings. Especially on Fridays and Saturdays when locals are more likely to join in. But yeah, Future World is barely affected at all by the crowds.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Happitoo posted:

I think the most interesting bit is the new wheelchair policy. Where solely being in a wheelchair doesn't grant you a pass. If the line/ride are wheelchair accessible, you stand (well sit) in line like everyone else. California Adventure is entirely accessible due to being built post ADA so it'll be interesting to see comment when the new system goes live.

This has been the case, at least in Florida. GACs were meant for disabilities that aren't immediately visible and go beyond "I am in a wheelchair." That my not be how it goes in reality, but is how it's supposed to be used anyway.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I was in EPCOT for New Year's. It was definitely busy but completely manageable. Really not that much worse than a Food & Wine weekend. As long as you keep your expectations in check you can still have a blast. We watched the fireworks from near the old Odyssey restaurant, barely anyone there and still a great view. Then after midnight, as everyone was heading towards the exits we worked our way to Mission: SPACE (the park was open til 1 AM) and it was a walk-on at the time. After getting out of there, we maneuvered across Future World to Soarin' which still had about an hour wait. It was about 1:30 when we finally left The Land and the park was pretty much empty at that point. Still much better than waiting four hours earlier in the day, though.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

demonR6 posted:

Went to MK today thinking it's Monday, holiday but kids in school so how bad can it be? Other than getting into Be Our Guest in under a half hour and there being boatloads of college / university cheerleaders everywhere I have nothing positive to say about the experience. Also Fast Pass+ can suck a hot bowl of donkey penises. The line at Buzz Lightyear on the mobile app said half hour, we had just left BOG so we said let's do it. On the way there notice that it is pretty crowded. We pass Cosmic Ray's and see just loads of people eating anywhere, on the curb, in planters, standing up. So we get to Buzz and the notice is 35 minutes stand by. When we eventually get around so we can see the front entrance again the FP line is around the building. An hour into the wait and we get to the part of the queue where FP and the stand by victims intersect. They were letting only 1 party go through to 15+ FP, we counted. Every ride was this way. FP+ is backed up, they are letting them go through in droves while the poor idiots who are on stand by sit there and wait until later. Disney should just make all the rides reservation only because honestly this is BS. Everyone in our line was pissed off at the wait and on the way out they had the idiots taking surveys and people were going off on them. I was so pissed off by the time we got to the ride I just sat there and rode it out. My wife actually participated in the ride but I was having nothing of it. Sorry but FP was bad, FP+ is just making GBS threads on anyone who is not using the system and that is not fun.

Because of their high capacity rides like Buzz, Mermaid and Haunted Mansion really don't need FastPass, the end result is usually just longer standby lines that move occasionally instead of a single, continuously moving line. The Fastpasses probably aren't going anywhere though because believe it or not, the average number of Fastpasses used by a guest in a day was pretty close to 1. I'm sure there's people here who got four or five per day, but they were balanced out by people not using any. Now they're giving everyone three per day, which requires a greater supply of Fastpasses and that makes high capacity rides prime targets to push that demand on to. I've seen FP lines backed up into walkways a few times now, but that's usually just a bottleneck at the front of the line where they're first checking Fastpasses. It takes quite a bit longer now to check everyone's passes compared to just flashing a few pieces of paper and going in. Now if you've got a party of five, everyone's gotta sit there and tap their bands up to the podium just right and grandma can't get it situated the right way to get it to read. Then there's Brazilian Tour Groups using FastPass+!

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEIKB_pAmh4

This video makes me irrationally angry, because they digitally put the Ice Cream parlor where the Emporium goes for some loving reason. Gettin' mad about ads in this thread.

In other news, I just got offered a phone interview for the College Program, so looks like I might be spending six months in Orlando.

There's also the brick pathway on Main Street and the bridge at the very beginning. I've got no idea where either one of those came from or why any of this needed to be digitally messed with. It's all so unnecessary!

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

tomapot posted:

Think I read that ESPN generates the most profit in the company, possibly more profits than the rest of Walt Disney combined, but couldn't find a source when I tried to look it up just now.

It's not broken down any further than this publicly, but cable networks accounted for $1.277 billion in operating income during the last quarter. The company as a whole had $3.02 billion in operating income. That's about 42%. The cable network number doesn't include broadcast stations like ABC, but does include the ESPN networks, ABC Family and all the Disney channels along with a couple other things. No doubt that the bulk of the profit is from ESPN though.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Cuatal posted:

What website is the most reliable for crowd reports? The one we went by was Undercover Tourist and it seems like it was accurate, the crowd wasn't bad excluding stuff like Soarin' and Test Track.

EasyWDW is what I'd recommend. Touring Plans has gotten pretty bad in recent years. I've never used Undercover Tourist though.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Space Mountain feels precarious enough with the lights off.

You know what ride must be a BITCH to evacuate? Peter Pan.

Talking with people who have worked at Peter Pan, they can't even handle the evacuation. They call the fire department and they get everyone out.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Roar posted:

I used to have a picture of Soarin with a two minute wait.

Bored coordinators make fun things happen.

That's great. I didn't even realize wait times that weren't a multiple of 5 were allowed outside of Haunted Mansion or Tower of Terror, where they'll post 13 minutes sometimes.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Nathilus posted:

Grats. I was once in the control tower at Space Mountain when there was a main lift issue and I had to shut it down. I was immediately rotated out into the greeter position to get yelled at for the decision by pissed off guests. Harsh.

Ever been at greeter when a fire alarm goes off? That's a fun one. Everyone out right now, no recovery, no time to explain, yes I know you waited an hour but right now I really need you not to be on fire sir.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Sair posted:

It's a normal ticket. It actually makes Epcot a bit busier though.

Also you won't have a proper meal because all food is so good.

It's especially true on Friday and Saturday nights. That's when the locals come out in full force. I'd definitely recommend doing F&W during the week if you can.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Post-Labor Day things are usually pretty slow. I'm sure Universal's going to get a decent bump from Potter but I'm not sure how big it'll be. Definitely better than July or August though.

You can buy the Express Pass day of but I think it's a bit cheaper if you buy in advance. Also worth noting that the Express passes aren't valid at Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Escape from Gringotts or the Hogwarts Express.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Always make sure to praise Chris from Orlando, FL. That's the cast member who gets the most complaints from guests.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I was at Universal on Monday and the new Harry Potter ride that people were waiting hours for in August had a 20 minute wait. All the parks are dead right now and it is awesome.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Braksgirl posted:

I hope it doesn't become another birthday cake castle. :( That thing was awful.

I'm pretty sure it's just going to be the usual Christmas lights but with Elsa doing the lighting instead of the Fairy Godmother.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

The Sing-along's been extended indefinitely and it's probably going to wind up moving into the American Idol theater where there's more space and the line of people waiting to get in won't be in the way of the Christmas lights.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I've done four parks in one day before but that was just my way of killing a day. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone on vacation or with family. My next goal is seven parks in one day by including SeaWorld and Universal. I did the math and I'm pretty sure it's feasible while doing one major ride in each park.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

kinmik posted:

I'm sorry, your post got cut off before you could give a detailed list of examples. :colbert:

It's Disneyland-focused but if you like stupid Cast/Guest stories, I'd recommend checking out Mouse Tales.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Roar posted:

Hahaha oh god that sounds awful. I'm pretty sure it didn't work at all for Soarin when they did that test a month or two back.

As much as I have nostalgia for attractions things like that make me a happy camper that I'm not in that department anymore.

IIRC the Soarin' test went so badly they gave up before the first day was over.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Old Man Pants posted:

While this is an entertaining ride/game I'll never understand the craze. I read guides saying you should literally run to this ride when the park opens if you want to ride it. We got there when the park opened, walked, and by the time we got there estimated wait time was 70 minutes. Madness I say.

It's the only ride at DHS that doesn't have a height requirement other than the Great Movie Ride and that one isn't super great for small children. It's less about the ride being popular and more "What the heck else am I going to do with this three year old here?"

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Braksgirl posted:

Another travel agent in a Facebook group I'm in says that Pirates is closing indefinitely sometime within the next year due to the foundation sinking. I've seen this rumor around for awhile but she swears her CM friend says it's true. Any CMs here have a clue?

I've heard that rumor as well but not from anyone I trust enough to put any amount of credibility into it. CM word of mouth tends to be about the least reliable source of information.

It does look like WDW's Mermaid ride will be getting a refurb starting February 2nd though. I hope it gets the upgrades that California's gotten.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I don't know if they've improved their algorithm or whatever it is they use but for a while their crowd estimates were really bad.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

The Seas doesn't have the hydrolators anymore so there's no mass-dump of people. They weren't nearly as big as the stretch rooms are though so I don't think it was an issue when they did exist.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I got a photography question for DisneyWorld. What is the parks stance on tripods? I am planning on going in March next year and want to take my camera kit with me. I'm not sure if tripods are allowed or if, with the crowd size, it's even worth it? Anyone have experience with that?

I bring a tripod pretty often. As long as its compact enough to be carried in a bag it's fine. Mine attaches to the back of my backpack and I've never had an issue. Whether it's worth it or not depends on the type of shooting you want to do.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The main reason I want to take one along is longer exposures at night. There's a couple spots I have memorized in my head from my last trip where the lighting was really fantastic and wanted longer exposure shots of. I just wasn't sure if, given how crowded the park was last I went in late September, if the park frowned on it or if I'd be taking up too much room for other guests. I don't want to be rude or anything to others trying to enjoy the parks

Yeah as long as you're aware of your surroundings and not blocking a whole walkway with your tripod it's fine and there's definitely a lot of great shots to get at night.

Photographing shows with a DSLR is fine too. I was once with a group that filled up two rows of bleachers with DSLR and mirrorless cameras at the Indiana Jones stunt show.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Timing is everything with a lot of Jungle Cruise jokes (and comedy in general I guess). I've had some really bad skippers telling OG jokes but they just have no idea how to deliver a punchline. It's often less about the awful joke and more about how well the awful joke is delivered.

Although the most important thing is to come up with a lot of cannibal jokes for when you're stuck by Trader Sam and waiting for clearance to unload.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I liked the Figment comics but they're the only Disney Kingdoms books I've read.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I thought that was you. And if I seemed frustrated it's because we had a guest fall a bit before that and I got poo poo on by everyone in that inner queue for supposedly not doing my job.

I didn't get a chance to say hey last Monday because you were busy getting people out of line when it broke down but thanks a lot I never got to ride and my vacation was ruined! :saddowns:

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Bottom Liner posted:

Kids are loving the Easter egg hunt at EPCOT so we'll be here a while longer. Still doing MK later tonight since they're open till midnight.

I was really enjoying that egg hunt but kids kept ruining it for me by getting excited and shouting and pointing at where the egg was. I wanted to find it myself! :saddowns:

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Empress Brosephine posted:

So apparently the fast and furious ride is just Earthquake again? :laffo:

Earthquake was at least a showcase of practical effects. Fast and the Furious is almost entirely screens. It was pretty drat underwhelming and they could have done so much more with the license.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Bottom Liner posted:

No, as in actually heard back from the initial application? Florida's site is garbage and almost never even working, but even after getting through the initial application and it saying they would get back to us about approving or denying it we've heard nothing. My wife is a cast member and I'm self employed, but neither of us got a response. They'd only processed 1% of claims as of a few days ago apparently, just curious if anyone had any luck.

I haven't heard anything back yet, but I also didn't get into the first round of auto-enrollment I don't think. Got "demoted" from my non-union role back to my old union role and furloughed from there and lost in the shuffle.

I've read from a few people that we may not get a confirmation email regarding our enrollment and that logging in and requesting a PIN reset would work. Every time I've tried it I just get locked out of my account for half an hour. I have no clue what's going on, it's a mess.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

From what I've heard, it's mainly some of the third-party retailers forcing Disney's hand now that the state has permitted them to reopen. It'll be interesting to see how many actually do open up. I hope whatever happens is as safe as possible, I agree it's too early for this. If this backfires, it sets back everything.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney pushed back the opening the way things are going. It's hardly worth operating the resort at a loss while rising an outbreak and the negative PR that would come with it.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

The markers for the mine train queue literally extend almost all the way around the entire mountain, going towards Tea Cups, back past Mermaid and end across from the entrance to Enchanted Tales With Belle. The markers are there, I don't know what happened in that photo.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

alg posted:

CMs need to get the hell out of there

I called out most of this week because I had an allergy flare up that I wasn't certain was an allergy flare up.

After today, I still have more concerns about cast spreading COVID than I do the guests. Just way too lax at times in break areas when it comes to not wearing masks and lack of distancing. It seemed to be better today now that we're operating more as normal, and I've found break areas that nobody else is using because their area hasn't been called back so I can isolate.

Still escaping ASAP though, it's not worth the risk at this point. I took a demotion with the closure and basically everything I had worked for over the past few years was wiped out overnight, along with any hope of upward mobility in the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I'd totally buy that case if they made it for my Samsung Galaxy and the logo wasn't upside down for some reason