Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Walt Disney World veteran and member of a Borderline-Crazy Disney Vacation Club Family checking in. The OP is terrific and off the top of my head I only need to clarify/contribute knowledge to a few things:

* - By far our favorite time of year to go is early to mid-March. It's almost never crowded that time of year. Not only that but since we live in New England, it's nice to escape what is usually the worst part of winter. They're often setting up the Flower and Garden Festival in EPCOT around that time, and I highly recommend that.

We've also been down a couple of times recently during the week after Thanksgiving. This is when WDW usually starts in with their Salute to All Winter Holidays but Mostly Christmas. In all seriousness, the holiday events, especially in EPCOT, are fantastic and worth seeing -- IF you've been down there a few times before and are looking for something new to see. It hasn't been crowded the times we were there, but trying to squeeze in special events and normal WDW awesomeness might be overwhelming for someone who's new.

* - Our favorite in-World resorts by far to stay in are the Contemporary for sheer convenience and the Beach Club for overall excellence (and a not-insignificant amount of sheer nostalgia since it's been our most-frequented resort since it opened.) Our favorite resorts to visit are the Polynesian (and oh my goodness, I can't overstate the sheer fun of Monorail resort bar-crawling), the Wilderness Lodge, and the Animal Kingdom Lodge and Villas. Important things to note about AKL: It's huge, you can easily spend an afternoon exploring since the savannah is open to visitors, it is not at all convenient to Animal Kingdom park (ie, you can't park at the Lodge and expect a short walk to the AK gate like with the Epcot resorts), and the food is fantastic.

As for moderate resorts, Port Orleans is very nice though I give French Quarter the edge since it's easier to navigate, as is Saratoga Springs (but for the love of Walt, request a room in Congress Park or you're in for a hell of a trek every morning; the much-ballyhooed Treehouses are remote), and Art of Animation looks fantastic.

We only did the off-site experience once and did not think it was worth it.

* - We've only used the dining plan once and never again. It may fit your needs, but we found it incredibly inconvenient. Florida residents (as well as DVC members and Annual Pass-holders) can score the Tables in Wonderland card, which grants you 20% off meals at a wide variety of restaurants around the World.

* - Random, but I love that somebody upthread mentioned Night Kingdom/Dark Kingdom, because that is by far my favorite weirdly persistent Disney theme park rumor. (Yes, it beats out even the "Andy's coming" thing. If you don't know what that was, you are better off, though I can easily summarize it as guests acting awfully entitled while forgetting that there are, you know, actual living humans inside those character costumes.) And I say weirdly persistent because the chances of Disney building and operating an entire fifth gate for such a stupendously specialized audience (and with attractions that sound like a long string of tragedies waiting to happen. Guests hand-feeding hippos. Yeah.) is as likely as their ever doing an official blu-ray release of "Song of the South".

* - As far as websites/other resources: Touring Plans is run by the folks who write the fantastic Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World, a book that is rightly considered a must-have. They also run the two best informative WDW podcasts (WDW Today and the Disney Dish). All Ears.net is good for one-stop shopping so to speak. Party Through the Parks provides detailed information about special events as well as bar an drink reviews. Lastly, if you have a question that isn't answered in any of these sites, post it on DISboards and somebody will help you out.

E: And granted it has been a while but... I kind of liked the Beverly... :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

skipdogg posted:

Are you a DVC member? If so how do you like it? We're kicking the idea around, maybe going in with another family member.

My family joined about three years ago and we love it, with the caveat that we are fans and we go to WDW a lot. The sentiment heard most often from other frequent WDW visitors is, "Why didn't we join earlier?" It's expensive, but our membership already paid for itself in the first few trips down since joining and its worth it just to be part of the community. We haven't been members for that long, but I'll see if I can help with specific questions.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

deadwing posted:

The reason for wearing the hats is the special treatment you'll get around the resort. Seriously consider wearing them.

The buttons have the same effect and are easier to wear. I get the Birthday button every time we go in March (even when it isn't technically the week of my birthday) because there's a reasonably good chance of random cast members treating my gown-rear end adult self like an entitled, spoiled rotten little princess. :j:

On the subject of Extra Magic Hours, we've learned that the trick to Evening XMH is to go to the XMH park after official closing time; ie, when all the non-Disney resort guests have been kicked out. And not a minute earlier, unless you want to experience being a salmon swimming upstream. We did this during our late November trip to see the Christmas lights at Magic Kingdom and I could swear the park was all but deserted.

E: And on the subject of anniversary dinners. If you're willing to splurge and want a truly unique experience, you might want to look into special dining events. There's a Lunch With An Imagineer experience that my family's been trying to get into for the past three years. If you want to go really crazy, try getting into the Chef's Table at Victoria and Albert's.

Roar posted:

Except that Universal will never (let Disney use the Avengers characters) based entirely on the fact that they want to keep the marvel poo poo on their side of the Orlando battleground. Getting rid of Marvel would gut a lot of IoA.

Would it really, though? The only ride in (sigh) Marvel Superhero Island that absolutely needs to keep its namesake character is the Spider-Man ride; you could retheme the Hulk coaster, and the other two rides are named after characters controlled by other studios.

There's also the issue that the parts of UIOA that aren't Harry Potter are looking pretty sad in comparison to Harry Potter, but that'd be a huge derail and it's late.

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 21, 2013

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Braksgirl posted:

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. I get that people cheat the system, but drat, Disney, cut us a friggin break.

DISboards already has reports of the chip scanners malfunctioning and exasperated food service Cast Members trying to explain the new system to equally exasperated resort guests with old mugs who just want a simple glass of water or ice please. Honestly, was it really that big of a deal that people were bringing their old mugs down just to get coffee in the morning? If it was, why not just yell at them instead of creating a massive clusterfuck?

effervescible posted:

I like to think that liquid just phases through the bottom of the mug and spills everywhere when it deactivates. That's the true future of mug technology.

Twenty years hence, Disney will create a mug that dissolves completely after the time is up, not even leaving you with an admittedly useful souvenir. It costs $50.00 for length of stay.

Thirty years hence, you don't even get a mug! You get your drink through a "GATTACA" style DNA test. Your drink is then injected directly into your stomach. This is all worth it so people don't sneak free coffee in the morning.

Forty years hence Disney says gently caress it and goes back to the old honor system with the chip-free mugs. With that same illustration of Mickey and the gang in a pool.

E: Should note that I'm not condoning stealing, even from Disney. But I'm also not all that comfortable with RFID chips in everything.

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 17, 2013

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Happitoo posted:

Holy crap Disboards is terrible for this. I like reading them when I'm planning a trip/before I go because I can glean some useful information sometimes but there's so much bitching about everything.

...Also all the people upset over Avatarland. Oh, you hate Avatarland (before even seeing it) then don't loving go there. Don't spend the next 2 years (and past 2 years) bitching about it online.

It's amazing what the super crazy Disney fans will feel slighted over

"'Avatar' was stupid so Avatarland is gonna suck!" - the same people who sing the praises of Cars-land, which is a themed land that is based on Goddamn "Cars".

But yeah, DISboards is about 25% useful, 75% insufferable. It's that darn 25% part that keeps me from rage-quitting the place for good (E: the reasons I wanted to quit run a lot deeper than just "fans being idiots" but that's a story for another day). I'm really only active in there if I have a question about an upcoming trip that I can't find answers to on TouringPlans, etc.

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 12, 2013

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Zachack posted:

Also, the WDW website indicates that bike rentals are available but is there anything like a free yellow/green bike system for shuttling to and from the parks?

Sorry to say, by "bike rentals" they mean "rent a bike by the hour that you can only pedal along the walkway around Crescent Lake".

E: We haven't stayed in the Boardwalk yet, but we love going there to eat and enjoy the ambience; go there at the right time and you can see the crazier effects from Illuminations from right outside the Big River brewpub. Our favorite resort, the Beach Club, is right next door and we love the convenience of being able to walk right into EPCOT and boat over to the Studios. (Though personally I don't think walking all the way through EPCOT -which is the second largest of the four parks- just to take the monorail to the TTC and then to Magic Kingdom would be that convenient. If that's how you want to get there, more power to you.)

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 16, 2013

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

demonR6 posted:

That is the fun thing about Biergarten.. we have been there three times now and made friends at the table singing along to the beer song and carrying on with complete strangers. It's a blast.

Biergarten is fun as hell if you're seated with another group of people who are either very friendly and nice or so high on Disney Magic they're more pleasant and sociable than they would normally be, and who understand that they're going to be sitting with strangers, that we're all going to be getting up to get food from a big buffet, that we're all going to be drinking beer or Riesling and probably a lot of it, and that we're all going to be laughing and clapping along and maybe even be called up to participate in the Octoberfest show.

If not... :smith:

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 19, 2013

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

A head's-up for people who are going to be booking rooms later this year:

The Unofficial Guide crew just announced that they've spent the last year or so gathering information about the Walt Disney World resorts, and they'll be rolling that information out on their website over the next few months. You'll eventually be able to search rooms based on how far they are from the lobby, how far they are from transportation, ADA-accessibility, and view. And yes, the last item means that they took pictures from every single room on property. :aaaaa:

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Malt posted:

I've been to WDW quite a few times and have begun to plan another trip for what looks to be January 2015. It's for two adults and will be a 5 day trip with 4 days spent at the parks.

What things would you guys would recommend for someone who has been a few times that you wouldn't recommend a first timer? Our trips always play out the same way and we love them, but I always wonder about smaller, more hidden things that I'm missing out on.

Quick List Of Fun Unusual Stuff For Frequent WDW Visitors:

* Consider taking a guided tour. We did Keyes To The Kingdom a couple years ago and it was terrific. Our guide was funny, friendly, and knew a ton of great trivia, so for us the only disappointment is that we could have enjoyed touring for another hour or two.

* Cheap variation of the above: download the Disney Dish podcast and use the relevant episodes as a free walking tour.

* Explore the resorts. One of my favorite recent memories involves bar-hopping at all the Monorail resorts.

* Boats! Riding the boats up and down the Sassagoula River and around Crescent Lake is very nice. We also rented a boat from the Polynesian (we had a voucher for this as part of a promotion they were doing one year) and explored all over Bay Lake/Seven Seas Lagoon, finding the closed River Country and Discovery Island parks and other weird little areas you wouldn't see on a normal boat ride.

* Watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks from outside the park from different places.

* Explore Fort Wilderness and get a taste of the early days of WDW.

* Seek out hidden gems and unpopular attractions. I love the museum portion of One Man's Dream in the Studios, and I only recently found an all-but-forgotten exhibit of concept art right outside the former animation studio.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Haggins posted:

I kinda liked it before but the refresh made it even worse. I didn't think that was possible.

I'm an old cranky lady who misses the hell out of World of Motion... :(

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

mattfl posted:

Has anyone eaten at any of the 4 nicer restaurants at the swann and dolphin? Our work did a Christmas breakfast there but because I was working and couldn't go they gave us gift certs for what it would have cost so now I have a nice $100 gift cert to use at any of the restaurants there. I was thinking of going to Il Mulino but was just wondering if someone might suggest one of the others instead.

If you've got an $100.00 gift certificate, go to Blue Zoo. It's supposed to be outstanding, but it's very expensive and we've never gone ourselves. But my family has eaten at Il Mulino often and we love it! It's our favorite "secret" restaurant on Crescent Lake. (We're headed down pretty soon and I'm already looking forward to their mushroom risotto.)

mr_cardholder posted:

So I've been working with my travel agent and they are recommending three hotels in particular: the Boardwalk, Saratoga Springs and Old Key West. Anyone here have experience what the differences are between these three? The best I can work out is Boardwalk is walking distance to Epcot while the other two are further away, with Saratoga being closer to Downtown Disney. There doesn't seem to be any major downsides that I can seem to find but I wanted to see if anyone here knows better.

Boardwalk is the most convenient to the parks and other resorts, since all the EPCOT-area resorts are along a very nice pathway around Crescent Lake and both EPCOT and the Studios are a lovely boat ride. You will have to take the bus to other attractions if you don't have a car, but in this case it's only two out of the four main parks. Boardwalk also has many decent eateries and entertainment in the evening, since it was originally meant to be a smaller version of Downtown Disney.

We stayed at Saratoga Springs during our last visit and it was very nice. However, we made a point of requesting a room in the Carriage House building because it is relatively close to the main buildings and has a nice view of the river and a very nice walkway through the woods to Downtown Disney where we saw lots of wildlife along the way (Otters! :swoon: Coots! :syoon: Great Blue Herons in the trees!?! :stare: ). Many of the other buildings are much farther away from the main areas and the famous treehouses are remote, like they have their own boat and bus stop. You may be in for an awful lot of walking depending on what building you're in. Also, except for Downtown Disney, you must take the bus everywhere. Still, it's very nice and it's especially fun to look for evidence of the old Disney Institute.

And we haven't even visited Old Key West yet but it is supposedly very similar to Saratoga Springs except smaller, on a fork of the Sassagoula River so it's less convenient to resort-hop, and has a better restaurant. If you're trip is planned for later this year, I can ask my relatives who are stating there in March what they thought of it when they get back.

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 11, 2014

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Lincoln posted:

On a totally unrelated note: wife & I had drinks with friends last night, and we're all now seriously considering a mutual trip to WDW the week after Thanksgiving this year. The other couple has never been, and their two boys will be 3 and 6. So I guess I finally get to put my money where my mouth is, with regard to giving advice to families with young kids. Yeesh.

Three and six and they're going to have all the Salute To All Holidays But Mostly Christmas going on by then? Yikes, good luck.

Meanwhile, our Magic Bands arrived today. So far my favorite part is the "You probably should consult your doctor before using this" warning for people with pacemakers, since I have not seen a single notice about that until opening the box. (It doesn't directly affect anyone in my group, but honestly.) On the other hand, we experimented with making some FastPass+ reservations on the website and so far that seems to be working fine. The app is pretty neat too, but I wonder how well the older people in my group would be able to navigate it on their own.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Spend 5 minutes talking to a cast member about pins and they suck you in faster than anything I've ever seen. I wanted to go prancing around buying about $200 worth until I got a grip on myself (I still kinda want to).

That's partially how I got hooked. My dad collected pins for years before they became a Thing; now he and I are both crazy pin people, and we're already looking forward to wandering from resort to resort on the hunt. I think we're going to need those Seven Dwarfs pins in our lives.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

demonR6 posted:

The great big giant lobby is cozy as all hell to just sit back and chill.

Last time I was there they had a tour of all the art in the lobby, which is just amazing to explore on your own. We also rented a surrey bike and explored the trail that takes you down to the Tri-Circle-D Ranch and Fort Wilderness. And we loved just riding the boat around.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Why even bother with this, when back in Glendale, this fellow is collecting dust now that Hong Kong is done with him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBLwyxqx4mk

That's what I thought people were talking about when they mentioned a dinosaur in Animal Kingdom.

I want to see what happens when Universal catches wind of a "Jurassic Park" "Raptor" in every sense (the drat thing makes the same noises) in Disney.

(In other news, Dinoland continues it's commitment to being Things That Make Paleontologists Drink: the Theme Park Land. :sigh: )

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

They have a giant creepy jester in/near the food court!

And a big, badass dragon water slide by the pool.

Seriously, POFQ is my favorite moderate resort. DTD is a nice boat ride away, the rooms are pretty spacious, the food court is excellent, and it's relatively small and easy to navigate.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Doronin posted:

I used to love that attraction. I wish there was somewhere to put it back into the park. It used to occupy the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor.

I only got to see Timekeeper once, and it wouldn't exactly be easy to get it running again.

On the other hand, there's the original Magic of Disney Animation introductory film...

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

El Capo posted:

People are just not right anymore. Who the heck does that?!?!?

In the Studios, I witnessed a family decide to go ahead and change their baby's loaded diaper right in the middle of the crowd while we were all waiting for a parade to start.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

geese posted:

They also have it at Animal Kingdom with dark or coconut rum!

Is this true, and if so, where can I find it? (Family of Dole Whip junkies heading down there next month.)

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Lincoln posted:

Oh, also:

If this thing is gone by mid-February, I'll be the happiest girl in the world.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

The Indiana Jones ride in Disneyland is face-meltingly awesome. Dinosaur is painful and dumb. (Kind of like the movie that shares its title.)

And chalk me up as Actually Looking Forward To Pandora-Landora. Wanna meet "real" Wayne Barlowe-designed creatures.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Night-time Spectacular Rankings:

1) Illuminations: Reflections of Earth
2) The Magic, The Memories, and You/Wishes
Distant 3) Fantasmic

And regarding Duffy, Tough Pigs has a pretty good and hilarious summary of him and another invented mascot character from Universal Studios Japan.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Abu Dave posted:

We will probably drink and hang by the pools and such. Perhaps Downtown Disney. I forgot about all of those things.

Silly side question, I heard about a streaming online radio station that plays like park music and ads and such and everything is time synched to whats actually happening in the parks right now. Anyone know what i'm talking about? I can't find it anymore.

Do you mean MouseWorld Radio? It's a guilty pleasure of mine. :sparkles:

Does anyone know if there's a definite shut down date for Disney Quest? I'm headed down in February and never got to visit it.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Edna Mode posted:

Whenever I hear about HS closures I'm surprised they can close so many things I don't care about and have all of the stuff I like left.

MuppetVision is reportedly sticking around, which is good because that's probably the only DHS attraction I'd be outraged if it was closed.

Oh my goodness, our trip is soon (mid-February)! We're staying in the Polynesian for the first half of the week (Dole Whips ev'ry day) and in Kidani Village for the second half (wish me luck on scoring even a few hours to sit at our window and just sketch). It's first time for both places and I'm pretty hyped. Is it true that there are a bunch of free activities at AKL you just need to show up for?

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Serious question: am I going to regret not ever visiting DisneyQuest, since it'll probably still be open during our upcoming trip? I've never been, and the hefty ticket price, lack of enthusiasm to visit an under construction Disney Springs, and the fact that I'm the only person in our party who is at all interested in DQ is weighing heavily against my fear that I may miss out on something really unique, weird, and special. I've always found the idea behind DQ (theme park in a box, "Virtual reality is going to change everything forever any minute now, you'll see") fascinating, but is satisfying my curiosity worth dropping 40-something dollars I can't really spare to play interactive family games by myself or with random people?

Also, we're staying at Kidani Village for a few nights. Will I have to go to the main AKL building if I want to play with the night vision goggles?

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Leelee posted:

I've read nothing but horrible reviews for Tony's Town Square....but my dad really wants to go there (and is financing the trip). He's got some nostalgia for the place since he took us as kids there for breakfast. Should I just grin and bear it, or try to tell him how badly reviewed it is?

My family is likewise weirdly fond of Tony's, though thankfully I managed to talk them into The Wave instead for MK day dinner. Tony's is only good if you don't mind trying to eat huge servings of overpriced boring food while random kids are clambering all around you to see what's going on outside (since the restaurant is right near the Magic Kingdom entrance, there is always something interesting happening right outside. I was seated near a big window right when the nighttime parade kicked off. Fun times.)

And thank you everyone for the input regarding Disney Quest.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Congrats, Braksgirl! :dance:

So, about Animal Kingdom Lodge. It's remote, it's huge, and I've got a fifteen minute walk from Kidani Village's lobby to my room. But I'm drinking my morning coffee with ostriches, cranes, kites, and a pair of Oryx. It's so awesome!

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Yoshifan823 posted:

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Learning things while on a ride in Epcot?!? Well, I never!

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Blackchamber posted:

Are any of those character dining experiences worth it?

If the food is good and/or you get a lot of it for the money, it's good even if you don't have little kids. Some of the funniest "You had to be there" type memories I have are the result of reserving an early dinner at Garden Grill without letting anyone know Chip and Dale were involved. :3:

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Leelee posted:

Oh, thanks for the tip on where to stay- I'll have to see if we can request that area to stay!

Yeah, Congress Park is the place to be since the walk to/from the main buildings and pool and Disney Springs isn't bad. Anywhere else the walk is pretty far and there are some sections that are downright remote. The treehouses might as well be a separate resort. The reason for the lack of theme beyond "I don't know, whatever, horses? Yeah, horses" is because Saratoga started life as The Disney Institute. Surely there's nothing more fun than spending school vacation week in Walt Disney World than to spend that vacation going to school in Walt Disney World? :allears:

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Braksgirl posted:

If it has a name, I don't know it.

I just looked it up and the fountain is named Fountain of Nations.

Pretty sure the plaza behind Spaceship Earth and between the Innoventions buildings is just called Innoventions Plaza.

Heard a rumor that the Star Wars fireworks are going away this winter. I really hope not because my cousin and his little sons are going down with us in February and Star Wars is the only Disney thing they're all in for. I get the sense that they really don't know what else there is to see and do there. Tellingly, they're arriving late one night, staying one full day, and leaving the next afternoon. And they're counting on Auntie Rahona to show them all the cool stuff. :psyduck:

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I gotta ask, was there always such love for the ride? Or is it more of a reaction to something that is now gone and can no longer be experienced as it first was?

If we're talking about the original Journey Into Imagination, it might be a "you had to be there" kind of deal. But you know how awesome and immersive the "Under the Sea" set in the Little Mermaid ride is as you enter and travel through it? Yeah, imagine that but for mostly the entire ride. Better effects too, given what they were working with. It was also one of the vanishingly few rides in O.G. EPCOT that had obvious kid-appeal; the rest of the park being Educational with a capital E, this was more just for fun (though still though-provoking). And the Image Works, which the ride exit segued into wonderfully, gave you an interactive element that was more "make music!" or "be in our pretend play!" than "smell my skunk farts!"

That said, I weep for Horizons more.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Anya posted:

On a more serious note: I'm looking for new things to do/accomplish at the parks next month. It's my third trip, so I've ridden almost all of the rides, but I want to experience more of the world. Current plans for new things are:
Flights of Wonder
Nemo
Lion King
Christmas Party (on opening night)
Spice Road
BOYZ II MEN:allears:

Any other good ideas?

Flights of Wonder is a favorite of mine as well (duh), but it was being refurbished last time we were there. Was it just a structural refurb or did they change the show at all? (I wouldn't be too sad about that; it really needed an update.)

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Cais posted:

It's a fairly common occurrence and has been for the last 8 years to have people boo Obama, from what my HOP friends used to tell me, so that's probably not gonna change much.

The whole Hall of Presidents as a thing that exists is fascinating but I especially wonder about the people who boo a robot. :psyduck:

Do we still not know if the Star Wars fireworks are returning by February? That's the one thing that is really going to win over my little First Timer cousins who are coming down to join us for two days (:shepface:) during our winter break trip. I'm not even sure if they are aware that Harry Potter and Spider-Man aren't part of Disney...

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Least-favorite attractions, by park:

MK: I've never seen Stitch! Maybe I'll fix(?) that next visit. Not a fan of the Laugh Floor and BTMRR kills my back.

EPCOT: My favorite park if I had to pick and yet, it has the most things that make me sad. I don't like being the kind of person who cries, "They changed it, now it sucks", but it's hard because I hate the "interactive" aspect of Spaceship Earth (though the early AA scenes are unimpeachable), I can't stand Ellen's Energy Adventure, I don't like Test Track, and I loathe the current Journey Into Imagination.

Studios: I really rather like... what's left in this park. :( I'm astounded by how long the Little Mermaid stage show has lasted though because I hated it even as a kid.

Animal Kingdom: After decades of "But it's SUPPOSED to look crappy and cheap because Story Theme Blah", I think it's time to put Dinoland to rest. Dinosaur is the most painful and dumb ride I've experienced in WDW anyway.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Watched the fireworks from the balcony of my apartment and it's a better view than I usually get in the parks. living here doesn't suck.

Also, if Wonders of Life was open today, it was probably just for decompression/rest space, because all the poo poo in there is either rotting away or has been taken out. All the pods for Body Wars are now spare parts for Star Tours

This makes me sad as hell because it'd hypothetically be the easiest thing in the world to update Cranium Command into an Inside Out show. Was losing the MET sponsorship really that much of a death sentence?

Do we know what's going to be happening in AK evenings in mid-February? I've been helping plan a big family trip and it turns out I'm the only one who is even aware that it isn't a "half-day park" anymore. (I mean it never was for me; I love animals. Can't wait to drag the fam to Flights of Wonder. :derptiel: )

The new arts festival at Epcot sounds pretty cool -- and it ends the day I arrive. :ughh:

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Zero One posted:

I saw the show tonight and was blown away. The water projections were incredible and the music was great.

I think the finale lacked something but it's hard to go out with a bang when you can't use fireworks. I'd put this show just behind Illuminations as my second favorite nighttime show.

River of Light is like the Electric Water Pageant, Epcot's dancing water fountain, and the good parts of Fantasmic had an awesome but kind of short baby. I really liked it.

Speaking of Animal Kingdom, I thought Flights of Wonder was going to have a new format but Dr. Guano or whatever is still part of the show. (It's still great and I will still drag everyone I possibly can to it but I am really sick of the plot. The Safari finally ditched its plot why not this?) But there is a new bird show in Dinoland that's basically everything I've ever wished for. :dance:

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 23, 2017

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Zero One posted:

Booo this man. Guano Joe is the best part of the show.

I am no man! (I need a combo of :sparkles: and :black101: right now. I guess :boom: works.)

Anyway, more potentially bad opinions! New Soarin is going to take some time for me to warm to, but it finally ends in Illuminations instead of Disneyland and that's good enough for me. Frozen Ever After is nice. It sure as hell isn't an hour or more wait worth of nice, so I'm glad I decided to do it first thing in the morning; FP's are booked for my whole stay. I really love the Festival of Fantasy parade. I don't know about Disney Springs; the eastern third that hasn't changed much is still nice but the newer areas are kind of boring. Birdwatching there is still choice. :derptiel:

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

couldcareless posted:

RIP Disney Quest and all of its lost potential

Aye. The idea was way way way ahead of its time and the tech just wasn't quite there. It's kind of cool how the LEGO Discovery Centers have taken up the mantle of "theme park in a box", and I do really want to visit the one nearby, but I'm still so sad that DisneyQuest never lived up to the hype.

And of COURSE DisBoards is losing its collective poo poo over the Pirates change. Personally, I'd like some assurance that Jack Sparrow is out as well. On that note, is anyone honestly going to be mourning the current version of Journey Into Imagination or So Many Nested Dream Sequences Nolan Gets A Nosebleed Universe of Energy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

chitoryu12 posted:

Despite extensive security checkpoints and tons of security and Orlando police, they still end up with at least one person a year being tased and at least one person a year hanging fishhooks in a house.

From a ways back but what in the hell?!? :barf: