Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
Hello, Disney thread. I’m looking to go to WDW with my wife and nine year old daughter from October 24-28. We’ve gone a couple of times in January and stayed at either bay lake tower or the garden side of contemporary and had a blast.

I had a couple of questions that I was hoping you all could help me out with. First, what can I expect with crowd levels? We know that it will be more crowded than when we’ve been in January, but are hoping that at least the Thursday and Friday we will be there won’t be too bad. Second, contemporary and BLT aren’t available for our dates, so we are trying to decide between the following rooms at animal kingdom and wilderness lodge:

1)wilderness lodge standard rm with courtyard view
2)animal kingdom lodge standard room with savanna view
3)animal kingdom villas Jambo village deluxe studio savanna view
4)animal kingdom lodge standard view

The first three are about the same price, including 3 day park-hopper ticket, while the AKL parking lot view room is about $700 cheaper. It appears that the main pool at AKL will be closed while we are there.

So, any thoughts on which we should choose? We are fine with ubering from resort to park, or park to park, so transportation limitations at both aren’t really a big issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
So, with a relatively young kid, we were comfortable taking her out of school for a few days to enjoy the Disney parks at their least crowded. Unfortunately, our little girl is in fourth grade and skipping school to go to the parks is starting to get us some side eye. What this means is that we are heading to Universal Orlando next Tuesday, the first, and staying through the fifth. Or ally I’m pretty prepared with plans and reservations, etc. but this kind of cam e together at the last minute. On the plus side, we are staying at the hard rock, so will have express passes, but I’m a bit worried about the crowds around the Harry Potter theming and getting food without waiting on line for hours.

With that in mind, I’d love to hear folks’ thoughts on just how crowded the parks will be and any tips on managing the crowds that are there. Thanks!

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
Quick! What are the best dining reservations at Disneyland? Will be there three days in August and so far have blue bayou (possibly twice) and wine country trattoria with world of color. Any other (non-star wars) can’t misses? Thanks!

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
Good afternoon, everyone. I was wondering if anyone knew what the process was for getting a table at trader sams Disneyland. We’ve gone before opening at Disney world and gotten a buzzer before, but probably won’t be able to get to the Disneyland hotel until 2ish on Monday. I don’t mind waiting for a table, but do we have to wait and vulture or can we put our names on the list and hang out at the resort? Thanks!

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

Beachcomber posted:

Aloha!

Trader Sam's (the real one) is at least twice as big as Orlando, as well as being better in all other ways. There is no waiting list and no buzzers, but we've never had to wait very long. Weekdays are a mixed bag, but you stand a very good chance of just being able to walk in and get one.

If you don't have kids, sit at the bar, and if Malek is working ask him to make an Old Kungaloosh.

Edit:
You'd better get a Hawaiian cheeseburger, because they're loving amazing.

Edit 2: I guess it's technically smaller so I don't know wtf. The bar is much longer and that counts.

Thanks! We will have our 10 year old, so no bar seating. Crossing fingers for a short wait!

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

Beachcomber posted:

Aloha!

Trader Sam's (the real one) is at least twice as big as Orlando, as well as being better in all other ways. There is no waiting list and no buzzers, but we've never had to wait very long. Weekdays are a mixed bag, but you stand a very good chance of just being able to walk in and get one.

If you don't have kids, sit at the bar, and if Malek is working ask him to make an Old Kungaloosh.

Edit:
You'd better get a Hawaiian cheeseburger, because they're loving amazing.

Edit 2: I guess it's technically smaller so I don't know wtf. The bar is much longer and that counts.

Welp, I’m day drunk and have a limited edition gold piranha mug to add to the collection. The bar is definitely bigger than WDW, but the whole space is, I think, smaller. They are also missing the tiki God on the wall, but instead enlisted my daughter to do part of the uh-oah shenanigans. Video on request.

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

Bottom Liner posted:

all the other posts about parents being awful people for taking their kids before puberty were surely in jest too

Star Wars hotel with no children:

It's fine if you can just admit this is what you are and what you want.

I post, like, four times a year on these dead forums. I’m burning my quarterly post to let you know that this is the real. Well done.

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I mean, they have no reason to bring it back even if they ignored Leaving Neverland. Michael Jackson's been dead for almost a decade and a half and like sure, yeah, he was a legend in the music industry but EO is really, really outdated.

What in the absolute hell is happening in GBS

Michael Jackson is fine. It’s that bitch Angelica Huston that’s preventing captain EO’s triumphant return. She knows what she did.

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

Superrodan posted:

I have no qualifications or evidence to back this up but I imagine meet and greet cast members absolutely adore and love the way kids view them as the real character, but kinda dread when an adult shows up and sort of has their own special plan for what they want beyond "can I get a picture with you".

I told my daughter when she was 10 that I would buy her a churro if she told captain America that her dad has america’s rear end. She would do anything for free treats so when she did, he just nodded and said, “he just might” and went on with the greet.

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
Random question, but my daughter’s cheer team just received an invitation to attend a cheer competition in a couple of months. The team is trying to decide whether to rent a big house or stay in a hotel (you can supposedly book a package at one of the all stars or coranado) and I’m trying to decide whether it makes sense to have both her parents go or if will be a waste of :20bux::20bux::20bux::20bux: for airfare, park tickets that we may or may not be able to use, park food, etc to probably watch her perform once.

Has anyone participated in one of these or been in the parks while a cheer competition was going on that can tell me what it is like?

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How old is the kiddo?

You should absolutely have time to go to the parks. I haven't personally participated but I've certainly coordinated enough of them to help you out here.

Thanks! Her and her teammates are int the 13-15 age range. They compete on the Friday, but would need a miracle level event to advance to the next days.

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

Coasterphreak posted:

Just don’t plan to go the day of the competition because those things take waaaaay longer than you think (you probably already know this)

Thanks! I appreciate the great advice!

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
Thanks, everyone, for answering my earlier questions about cheerleading competitions in WDW. We are about three weeks away and the other parents aren’t as insane as me, so I’m not sure if there will be any plans made ahead of time, other than, hopefully, park reservations made ASAP. Against that background, we are hoping to get a lightning lane reservation for guardians of the galaxy and I have a couple of questions.

1) will you have options for the time that you get, or are you just assigned a random time?
2) if you are assigned a morning time, or if that is all that is available, does that need to be the park that you reserved?

Thanks!

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
Here now for a cheerleading competition and holy cow it’s crowded full of cheerleaders. Was worried a bit about transportation to ESPN World, but Ubers are abundant and Mears cabs are shockingly cheap.

Sunday night there is a party at Hollywood Studios that goes until 1:30 am. Disney has advised that transport will end at 11. Does anyone have a guess as to whether we will be able to get ubers back to our hotel that late, 1:30 in the morning?

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

For sure. If the Uber/Lyft drivers are aware of the event they'll be around, and if not, they will still be around, you might just have to wait a bit longer.

The event doesn't have private transportation? That kinda sucks. The one time I went to an after hours buyout for a podcast event, they arranged coach shuttle buses back to all the on site resorts.

Thanks!

Guardians is a great coaster. Does anyone have a clue what’s going on, story wise?

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
I dig the forbidden journey, but our daughter made us ride it four times in a row over an hour or so and I had to tell her no more. I don’t ride teacups, so no chance I’m getting on mission to mars.

Will Disney give you a credit or price reduction if you notice that your resort and ticket package has gone down in price a few days before your trip?

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

Braksgirl posted:

Only if it’s before final payment. If it’s after final payment and you call to make changes, there’s a $50 change fee. If the savings is enough to cover the change fee then go for it. You do have to call and make the change and there has to be room availability under that discount.

Thanks!

I had no time to call today and deal is gone, but good to know for future trips!

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

Braksgirl posted:

Not to harp, but this is what’s good about using a TA. When this situation arises for my clients, I do that for them, usually without them even knowing I’ve done it until I email them to tell them I saved them money.

We usually do use a Disney TA, but this time it was more of a get dad some wine so he’s happy and books the trip and doesn’t change his mind situation.

I have a quick question about our tickets, if anyone knows the answer. We went to Disneyworld in May and set up magic mobile and had no problems. The pass is still in my Apple wallet, same with my wife and daughter. We can all see our new tickets under tickets and passes in the app. However, the options to “reassign ticket” and “save to wallet” are grayed out. Does this mean that the new tickets automatically assigned to the pass in the wallet? Or do I have a problem?

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

Aphrodite posted:

Magic Mobile is tied to your Disney account, not an individual ticket.

It’s equivalent to a Magicband or physical card.

Does that mean that as long as I clicked the right people when I bought the tickets, we don’t need to do anything else? All three of us can see our passes in the app, for what it’s worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

CapnAndy posted:

Fantasyland
Peter Pan's Flight - Don't ride this. Content-wise, it's fine, you fly through London and Neverland. But the rider-per-hour thoroughput is, and always has been, completely hosed, and it skews the wait times well beyond what's reasonable. It's just impossible to justify the time investment.

How loving dare you. Please rope drop the best ride in tha park. 😉