Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

demonR6 posted:

The new fastpass options for Disney guests that are booking and staying at their resorts thereby creating yet another level or priority fastpass. As if the fastpass wasn't a stupid clusterfuck that screws people who did not arrive first thing to claim them or have the time to run from attraction to attraction and collect them. The grand vision was to speedily move people through attractions and has become reviled because if you and your family have been in line for an hour and you watch people fly by you are naturally going to become even more upset sitting there. For the most part the desirable attractions now have absurd wait times. We were at the park for the 24-hour event and the fast pass was not being used and even though the park was packed the wait times were 30 minutes or less. FP screwed the pooch in my opinion and this new iteration is going to make people even more angry.

If there were no fast passes, then the lines would be even longer because nobody would be able to 'wait outside of line'. The wait time for those in the normal lines would not improve, but the lines are at least shorter, getting you into the staging areas faster. Also, the FastPass at Disney is at least fair to everyone regardless of income or class.

Compare to Six Flags where for $80/per person (less when you add people) you can get the Platinum fast pass which not only lets you skip the lines with zero wait at all (technically it reduces the wait time by 90%, but I've never waited more than 5 minutes), but you get to ride twice in a row. You want dirty looks, be on a roller coaster when it has arrived for unloading, wave your wrist in the air and see what the people in line who waited an hour to ride think of you.

On another note, I've been to Disney maybe a dozen times in my life since being a kid, and there is no moment in my life that has made me cry more than taking my own son to Disney for the first time. A lot of the parks and the choices they have made has disillusioned me over the years, but when you bring your kid, that all doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

warheadr posted:

I know this is a Disney thread but is a little talk about Universal cool too? Like I said the other day my girlfriend and I just booked our Disney trip for a week in October, so we'll be there for Halloween/Food & Wine Fest/etc. But we also want to do one day at Universal.

We're really just focused on Islands of Adventure so I'm thinking a one-day pass for us there, and we also want to do the Universal Halloween nights thing which I hear is pretty awesome, so another ticket price on top of our park ticket for that.

So I'm wondering if there are any good tips or rules to follow for Universal tickets? I'm guessing for one day it's pretty much just buy the ticket and pay the price the park charges online. Especially if I'm staying at Disney. Also what about transportation to Universal from a Disney resort? Obviously Disney itself isn't running any shuttles but are taxis the way to go? We won't be renting a car and I'd certainly like keep it that way if at all possible, especially for just one day of outside-Disney travel.

Any possibility to spend a night at one of the Universal hotels? I don't know how crowded the parks will be since I have not been for Horror Nights, but staying onsite gets you front of the line passes for just about every ride (Pteradon Flyers and the new Harry Potter one are the exceptions). You use your room key to skip the lines and you can do so both the day you check in as well as the day you check out. You could then get the two-park pass and hit all of the roller coasters, well, ALL of the rides in one day, and the hotels at Universal are REALLY nice. Beyond that, they sell fast passes that let you skip the line for each ride one time, the price varies depending on the crowd.

I would think barring that you would end up needing a cab, can't tell you how much it is, as you mentioned the shuttles won't take you there.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Mykkel posted:

Officially, only DVC members can use the pools at other resorts, but I've never been asked to show my key at any of the resort pools.

I've stayed at the Beach Club once and the Yacht Club another time, once in season and once out. Because they have one of the best pools in the resort, Stormalong Bay, the time when it was busier, they were adamant about checking to make sure you belong. During the other time, not only did nobody check but I think a couple of employees and their families were in the pool based on the conversation I overheard.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Happitoo posted:

Swan/Dolphin never really interested me because presonally the buildings look like poo poo to me. Although I've read that you can get some pretty decent deals so I may look at them for a future trip depending on my budget.

We walked through them on our last trip to see what they were like (always had wanted to stay in them since the opened) since they were walking distance from Yacht Club. The lobbies are beautiful and the restaurants and rooms (from what I've seen online) look great, however the big negative is that these are not 'Disney' hotels in that you do not get Disney privileges like charge to the room/packages delivered to room, and whatever other perks are offered. I would absolutely consider it still as an adult without children, but not so great with kids.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Slightly off topic but hoping you all can help.

I'm driving down tomorrow with my mother, 11 year old son, and wife to Orlando for a karate tournament at the Disney Sports Complex (amazingly beautiful place if you've never been). I'm at a loss as to what to do that the whole family might enjoy. Here's the catch, I really do NOT want to do any of the Disney parks as my frugal nature makes it tough to justify the cost of tickets since we will be out of commission Friday afternoon/night and most of Saturday morning/early afternoon to compete and driving home Sunday. My mother does not do scary things else I'd have done Universal (my son loves that stuff), and last year we went to one of the Fun Spot places and my son and I did the world's highest Skycoaster. Does anyone have any suggestions, everything I've looked at on TripAdvisor just seems a bust.

Oh, we will spend some time at Downtown Disney, between the overpriced Dinosaur restaurant and the fake hot air balloon and the toy shopping, it's a good way to spend a few hours that everyone will enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The nicer venues will be out for sure as well as Be Our Guest, except for lunch, which is counter service and doesn't require a reservation (but will have a loooooong line)

However, you can get lucky. I just did a random search for January 13th as a test (also, it's my Birthday, so why not) And it seems like right now a lot of good options are open. California Grill, Jiko, Boma, even Le Celier. A tip would be to think about Epcot, things like Le Celier get booked fast, but goddamn, almost every other restaraunt there has lots of space open and some are really god.

I called Friday at 2pm for Boma for the same day at 4:30pm (when they opened) and they had no problem seating us. I guess the resort restaurants are not so busy when people are still in the parks. There were a few parties there besides us, but even those without reservations were seated quickly.