Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

PrincessKate posted:

I didn't think Victoria and Albert's was worth it. The food is pretty good but I didn't find the atmosphere very romantic. More stuffy and awkward. I certainly didn't walk out of there thinking "WOW, that was WORTH the $500!"

A lot of people consider V&A the best restaurant in the state of Florida, and some the entire Southeastern US. I agree it's probably not worth it if you don't understand the food. Unless you're a foodie you probably don't understand most of what they serve, and you can only describe it as "pretty good." Plenty of people can afford it, especially for something like an anniversary dinner, but that doesn't mean they'll really appreciate it what makes it fantastic rather than just pretty good.

I'm not trying to be condescending or jump on any particular poster; I'm one of those people myself since I also walked out of V&A only able to say "well that was tasty, now let's go to the bar." When someone tells me I just don't understand how a paint splattering on a chair is a post-modern anti-establishment expression I also laugh in their face. But there was a lot of depth to the food that I just couldn't grasp. It's like I was simply not experienced enough to be eating there.

To put it in whisky terms, if you put a bottle of Red Label and a bottle of Glenfarclas 21 in front of someone who has never had whisky before, they would probably recognize the latter is more refined, but that's about it. They wouldn't be able to specifically describe what makes it better. And they certainly wouldn't be able to tell why Glenfarclas 21 costs so much more money.

So I'd probably like to visit V&A again, but only in another few decades after I've had more opportunities to build culinary expertise. I'm assuming it will still be there.

edit: unfortunately I don't know anything about other restaurants at WDW, none of them were memorable for us. Luckily it looks like other posters have that covered

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Nathilus posted:

It doesn't take some culinary genius to notice that the food at Artist Point is just as good (if obviously prepared in a completely different style) as what they serve at V&A. I think it's a cop-out to say that if someone doesn't think it's that absolute bomb that "you just don't GET it mang". You're even arguing that your own plebeian palette isn't enough to fully appreciate the refined flavors of a V&A meal. Sounds suspiciously like fanwank to me, particularly when I know how people love talking up a restaurant because it's ~*~exclusive~*~.

I've eaten there before and it was definitely not my most enjoyable meal on property, so I admit I'm biased on this point. Don't get me wrong either, V&A serves a mean rear end meal that happens to cost more than I make in a normal week.

And I said I can't compare it to other places at WDW since nothing else stood out, so thanks for presenting an alternative I guess.

Also not everyone walks out of restaurants asking themselves "that was good, but was it $xxx good?" Especially for places we don't visit on a regular basis.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 4, 2013

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

So if they're legit tickets, surely they're sourcing them from somewhere. Do they also buy tickets from people?