Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Paul Allen posted:

Ah yes, Spring Break. We were thinking of early April just to avoid it as much as possible, but maybe we'll lean toward late March instead.

Also, are there any couple-specific things anyone would recommend? Obviously we'll be doing our fair share of drinking at Epcot and lots of eating everywhere, but is there anything else we should know about? We're booking a dinner at Be Our Guest because she B&tB was one of her favorite Disney movies growing up, and I really want to go to O'hana. Any couple-y secrets around WDW?

People think spring break = kids, but you can NOT forget about college spring break, which generally starts the first week of March and really goes into full swing the second through fourth weeks of march, increasing crowds and prices pretty substantially. This is an awesome site, I'll probably be going the first week of March, but it seems like going late april/early may would also be pretty good. anywhere from mid march to mid april seems just bad.

http://yourfirstvisit.net/2012/10/15/2014-weeks-visit-walt-disney-world-ranked-order/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Paul Allen posted:

Lots of great advice, thanks everyone. That was exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping for. Not sure we'll be wearing those Mickey hats, but I'd totally love some buttons or something. Always nice to have a little special something on vacations like this.

So question about Extra Magic Hours: I can go to the night hours as long as I'm staying at ANY on-site hotel, correct? We're probably staying at Art of Animation, mostly because we'd rather spend money on awesome food and whatnot than on a room we won't be in much.

Correct, however you are limited to just one park with a regular ticket, and any park that is offering extra magic hours that day is going to be the most crowded park. If you do not have a park hopper ticket I would actually suggest NOT going to the magic hour parks, however if you do have park hopper certainly do a different park during the day and head over to the extra magic hours at night.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Paul Allen posted:

Brilliant. Thanks again everyone.

Voting opportunity: if we were going to have our "anniversary dinner" (aka one, big, expensive, amazing dinner) at WDW, where should it be?

We love every kind of food from basically all countries and are very adventurous eaters, so I just want to know what you all think is THE BEST restaurant at WDW worth dropping a couple hundred bucks at. One restaurant, full stop.

Victoria and Alberts. No ifs, ands or buts about this.

http://victoria-alberts.com/

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

How far in advance to they normally give notice for that. I am hoping that it extends to AoA for my December trip (Probably not)

Considering Iger said that they plan to have it fully out before the end of the first fiscal quarter, I'd feel fairly confident that you will have a magic band in December. I'd imagine this October test Braksgirl is in is going to be pretty huge, and possibly the last "beta" before they try to go full on live.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

spacebrospiff posted:

I'm trying to plan a trip for ten people and we have a pretty significant budget. This trip will be in July of next summer, Monday through Saturday. Help me try to decide between the grand Floridian, Wilderness lodge, or animal kingdom lodge pretty please. I'm also not sure if it would be wise to use "Small World Vacations" since it would likely make it easier to accommodate so many people.

Grand Floridian is beautiful and has the monorail, which significantly cuts down on travel time to magic kingdom and epcot, and allows for a little better late night dining options along the monorail circuit without having to use a cab or do some bus to bus hoppery. Wilderness lodge has a lot less foot traffic than the other two (with the exception of those going to whispering canyon), and is quite beautiful with its pacific northwest charm, so it's probably the most intimate/romantic even with the charm of the grand floridian. Animal Kingdom lodge has the absolute best view if you can get a Savannah view balcony, but has the most limited transportation with the longest waits to get anywhere except animal kingdom, so late nights or early mornings and eating at other resorts becomes a slight bit more of a hassle. All three are well themed, pretty, have comparable rooms, so a lot of it is personal choice. Here is easywdw's breakdown of it, if it helps: http://www.easywdw.com/disneybest/best-disney-world-deluxe-resort-hotel/

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

A few things on ADR's. Yes, some things like Cinderellas royal palace and chef mickeys will book 180 days out, but a lot of places (the resort, out of park places are more likely to have spots later on). A few caveats:
- Calling can get you some better times, sometimes the online system will only let you choose wonky times
- Although Sept - Early December are lighter in the park, free dining means the table service places will be busier than sometimes even peak season, so getting a table in the relatively slow middle of November may be more difficult on short notice than the middle of July
- If you are flexible in where you eat you will find somewhere ever night, but the places in the park always fill up faster
- Payment for the onsite guests is due 45 days out. You get a lot of cancellations at this time from people that end up not being able to pay for their vacation, so even hard to get reservations become available right around then.
- Disney is now requiring a credit card guarantee for reservations at ALL restaurants (previously it was a just a few), meaning that if you don't cancel at least 24 hours out and you don't show, you get charged $10/person. This reduces people grabbing several reservations and just going to the one they feel like that night. It also means if (again) you are flexible and don't feel like planning way in advance, there is a CHANCE you can get a reservation the morning of/night before, but don't rely to heavily on this.
- The website sucks, calling sucks. Try again for a few days in a row and you may get what you want.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Cuatal posted:

Looks like I'll be taking my wife to Epcot/Disney for the first time tomorrow. She wants to go to the Magic Kingdom but all the attendance charts say it's going to be packed but Epcot is neutral, which I guess means it will be okish?

Seriously if you've never been to disney packed magic kingdom is still going to be better than empty epcot. Epcot is fun for adults that have been there before, the drinking and cool world showcase things, but all the "disney magic" is at MK...

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

A couple months ago I stayed at POFQ and found it quite nice, pretty rooms, compact resort (we were in the farthest possible building, on the very back so close to the farthest possible room from the buses and the walk really wasn't very long). We were on the DxDP so didn't get much more than a few snacks at the food court, but the beignets were pretty alright! Speaking of, I used DIS a lot for restaurant and fastpass planning and such so I gave a bit back, if you want a lovely goon review of DxDP here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3292981

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Tunga posted:

I'm about to visit from the UK with a friend, here's a rundown of (the relevant parts of) my trip for two adults:

£1065 Flights
£730 Hotel (eight nights at Port Orleans Riverside)
£520 Park tickets (nine day hopper with all the extra stuff)
Total: £2315 ($3840)

That's without food and buying anything else and we also got a slight discount on the flights via a staff discount and we're only there for nine days rather than ten. But I think we have a family room that can sleep four and we could have stayed at a cheaper hotel if we were on a tight budget. It largely depends on what time of year you're going, if it's school holidays then the cost is going to shoot up.

You will be in a very ordinary room with two queen sized beds and not much more room than that, Disney assumes 2 people per bed and thus lists the room as for four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

I'm going to assume Mearn is a local that has annual passes (with parking) and a car, and as such it sounds like a noble goal. However as he said on vacation it's not something anyone should ever attempt, as it's a waste of money.

However I do think three parks can be done in a day. Start at either hollywood studios or animal kingdom, ride the couple headliners and get out early. Get to MK by 11-12 and spend 5 or so hours doing adventure/fantasyland, use your FP+ there for headliners and whatnot. Then head over to epcot for evening meal, enjoying the world showcase for a couple hours and have dinner and watch the fireworks. If it's offseason there is no reason you couldn't knock out a significant part of the parks those days, just as long as you don't expect to do everything it should be a blast.