Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Sorry to wander in here but can I ask questions about Disneyland in here? Going there for what is essentially the first time later this fall. I just want to know about food. What are the must try's there (including the hotel restaurants and Downtown Disney).

Also if you have any Disneyland specific tips or advice, that'd be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

BlueBayou posted:

Disneyland:
Blue Bayou (duh)
Bengal BBQ
Tropical Hideaway
Anything in NO square
Zocalo
Everything in Galaxy's Edge including the cantina
If you like corn dogs, they are amazing at Disney.

DCA:
Cozy Cone
Pacific Ward
Lamplight
Carthay Circle

Other:
Trader Sam's.
Every place at GCH (Napa Rose, WW snacks etc. It's allllll good)

Best ride:
Mission Breakout (people will disagree with me, but they are wrong)

Go everywhere, see all the lands. Then go back and see them all again at night.

Thank ya goon. I'll have to check out their menus. So what makes Mission Breakout better than Tower of Terror, which is hands down the best ride at Hollywood Studios?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Dammit. I'm going to miss ROR at Disneyland by a couple months. I figured November was late enough in the year for it to be open. Ah well. We have a giant family trip to WDW fall 2020 so there's that I guess. The new Mickey dark ride should be done by then, right? What about Ratatouille at Epcot? Have they said anything about that?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

Those are pro clicks thanks. What a interesting park. Such a shame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PULsO-om-Wg

This is a good channel if you're a theme park junkie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I've watched videos on the Disney Paris version of Space Mountain and I want to ride it so loving bad.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

edit: I'm stupid. I forgot Savis' is the saber shop.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 4, 2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Disneyland question: Will Ubers go from LAX to the park? My hotel is right across the street. I looked at that Disneyland shuttle and the cost is about the same for my party.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

They had a variant of the stunt show at Disneyland during the opening days. It was quickly dropped (likely for budget reasons)

While I am sure they will drive you there, wow that'd be a pricey uber.

The Disneyland Express is $96 round trip for 2 people. I went to Uber's fare estimator and it's $55 one way. Not much difference and I don't have to worry about a bus schedule or a bus making stops.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

It's the middle of summer. Every park there will be packed. You could honestly spend 2 days in the Magic Kingdom easily. But if you wanted another park, I'd say Hollywood Studios. You've got the new Toy Story section, and some other rides in Hollywood Studios like the Tower of Terror which is really fuckin good. I think even excluding Galaxy's Edge, you could spend a day at there.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

couldcareless posted:

Actually quite the contrary. During this time, mostly due to schools going back and it being hot as gently caress, the parks on any other year would be slow. Galaxy's Edge might throw a wrench into that though.

Maybe? Next weekend is labor day weekend, the last hurrah before school starts for a lot of places, so it's hard to say.

Bottom Liner posted:

AK is a full day park if you do the shows and stuff as well as being a nice change of pace after MK. The bird show, Lion King, and Nemo are all great.

That's a good point too.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 20, 2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

How long is the Haunted Mansion 50th anniversary stuff going on at Disneyland?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Goddamn. I've been trying to avoid 'spoilers' for Galaxy's Edge, but I couldn't help myself and I read all your posts. Thanks for the lightsaber chat above. I was curious about the differences between the customs and the replicas. Question: Are the customs plastic or metal? Same for the replicas.

Another question: Can you actually touch the full scale ships like the X-Wing I've seen pictures of. That would certainly tickle parts of my nerd brain.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Aside from the single rider/engineer thing, is the position you get just luck of the draw? Is there any way to increase your odds or guarantee you'll get pilot? Which position pushes the lever to make the jump to light speed (I assume this is a thing). That's what I want to do. I want to punch it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Thanks for the info! One more question. Excluding time waiting in line for stuff, how long does it take to really explore Galaxy's Edge? How long does the whole thing at Savi's take? I'm almost at the point where I can start making reservations for things so I need to start coming up with an itinerary.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Thank you all so much for all the info in here about Galaxy's Edge. It's hard to find that line between 'not being spoilered' and 'knowing what's there so I can have a good experience.'

I have to keep that inner fanboy in check but as I'm reading all these posts and as my trip gets closer, I'm sitting here grinning reading all these details.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

I went to my local theme park in NH last week which is very bad but they made a huge water park expansion and a giant pineapple stand selling Dole Whips by name. Was good to get my fix.

Canobie Lake? I haven’t been there in...30 years. I still have some memories of that place.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I want that Epcot poster.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

Each scene of the new Carousel is the guardians of the galaxy dancing to a different decade of “oldies”

Please delete this post before someone from Disney reads this.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

Press is getting to walk through HS RotR right now and apparently a video will be dropping later today.

Also apparently resort QS will open at loving 2:30am for breakfast on Thurs for GE opening.

E: This is a goddamn photograph, not an illustration

Is that hangar to scale? I remember them saying the AT-ATs are.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

When you use the 'gift card' can't you just keep it even if it has a zero balance? Do you have to physically surrender it when you use it? Aaaand do they sell those at DL?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

It’s a reloadable card. They initially “gave them out” with a $100 minimum at Disneyland, and it’s yours to keep and reuse.

That's what I figured but I wasn't sure since someone mentioned people would buy them and never use them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oh yeah that reminds me how is the food at Docking Bay 7?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

So I'm making reservations for poo poo at DL in November. According to the website, there's no openings for Oga's Cantina. At all. Morning, noon, night. The entire week I'm there. Is the site just not loading poo poo properly or is that week booked already? Assuming it's booked and I never get a reservation (I'll keep trying) can I just go standby? Do I have to sit there and wait or do I get a pager or do they text or do something with the DL app?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

Even though it'll let you click on dates that far out, it's only 14 days out still right now. I've checked every day for like two months to get Savis and Ogas. I only was able to book them for Sept 23rd this past Monday and both had basically whatever time I wanted. Just set a reminder on your phone for 14 days out. They're supposed to change it to 60 days but nobody knows when.

I just came back to edit my post with this. I read the page more just to know the policy (if they even do standby). I saw the 14 day thing. I checked days within two weeks and was able to find times every day. I guess they also have a limited number of reservations that go up 7am every day too. I already knew Savi's is 2 weeks out. I can't even click any days past two weeks. I set a reminder on my phone for midnight the day I can make reservations. Since they may change all that to 60 days I should probably check every day just in case.

Thanks Tim Whatley. I enjoy your love of New England Sports Teams.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Diabetic posted:

So we're staying for the fireworks at 9. My daughter's appointment at the boutique is 11:40, that means we'll need one solid meal at the park. Any suggestions for a solid disney experience meal? We'll be watching Be Our Guest reservations in the interim.

I don't know what your budget is like, but I think your daughter would get a real kick out of Cinderella's Castle but reservations might be hard to get this close. Someone mentioned Liberty Tavern which is a good choice.

Go to Disney World's website under the dining section. Filter for only Magic Kingdom. Then check out any table service places and/or character dining depending on if you want that.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 15, 2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Anyhooow, my DL trip is almost here. I'm totally stoked and can't wait.

So a couple questions just so I'm prepared. How does the Fast Pass system work at DL? From what I understand it's all done through the app and you can only have one FP reservation at a time. Is that correct?

Related to that, how does the Photo Pass stuff work? The photographers scan a barcode from your app? What about rides that have photos? The Magic Band stuff at WDW made that stuff super easy.

I remember from WDW when making reservations, Fastpasses, or Photopass, you could add other people with Disney accounts to your party, so you could add people to stuff or link their photos to your account. I haven't seen anything like that for DL. Is that correct?

And finally, I have all my food reservations set, but are there any quick service places or carts/kiosks I should definitely hit up?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Thank you so much again! I do have the Maxpass for all the days. I forgot it had a different name. I didn't even think about adding the other person's tickets to my app.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Just booked Oga's, Savi's, and Droid Depot at DLR. Those are still at 2 weeks apparently. Can't waaaaaaait.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Tempest815 posted:

Weird, we were able to make Ogas when we did our ADR a few months ago for our December trip. Unless you mean the droid depot and savis workshop

Disneyland or WDW? DLR is two months out for pretty much everything EXCEPT Galaxy's Edge, which is two weeks out. Source: Me. I checked Oga's every day as soon as November had dates you could click on. You could choose it, but it would never find valid times until today. Same for Savi's and Droids. If you look past two weeks out the dates are crossed off so you can't even choose them.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Just posting to give a shoutout to Braksgirl for her help in planning my 2020 WDW excursion!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I fly out tomorrow to LAX. A little irritated. My direct flight got changed into a flight with a layover in Chicago, making me arrive 3 hours later. I had to change one my dining reservations. Good thing I didn't plan on going into the park that day.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

gently caress the haters Galaxy’s Edge is loving awesome. Got right pilot my first ride on Smuggler’s Run. I did...ok.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Dren posted:

Is this a good time to post that my family is so excited for our first CRT visit during our next trip?

Absolutely. It is definitely a cool and unique experience at WDW, which is what the parks are all about.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Just did my first day ever at DCA. It’s pretty good. I was expecting to be let down based on what I’ve read online and from the history of the park. It definitely needs more rides, which they’re working on, but each section was great. They were all themed well and distinct. Our schedule didn’t let us get into Cars Land at night but I saw it from a distance and I need to see it tomorrow night. Radiator Springs Racers is really loving good. I can’t believe they aren’t cloning it for WDW (I guess Test Track is close enough?)

Pixar Pier looks awesome. I dig the old school amusement park / boardwalk feel. I need to check it out at night more.

We did the World Of Color dining package so we had front row seats. It’s a cool show. I thought it was a neat touch to integrate the roller coaster into it. Carthay Circle was really good too.

I wanted to post more of my trip but I’ve been busy riding rides and building lightsabers. Oh yeah, that whole Savi’s thing is totally loving worth it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I was at a gift shop today that is selling Disney+ T-shirts. loving weird. Like, imagine walking around with a Netflix or Crackle shirt.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

couldcareless posted:

obviously, but you can use it on the belt clip and stand for the saber at the Savi's checkout counter. Just a little heads up.

What's the price tag on these? And depending on that answer, would a DLR or WDW regular be willing to mail me these (I'll cover all the costs of course).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

couldcareless posted:

I think belt clip was $15? I already tossed the receipt. I think after Savi's + stand + belt clip + tax - DVC 20% discount, it was just shy of $250 total. Pro tip, go buy yourself one of the awesome credit chip gift cards at Droid depot ($100 minimum) and use that for the payment so you get a free souvenir.

I'll be back there soon enough. I'll just pick them up then. Thanks for that info and the stuff about the credit chip gift card. I knew they had them but I Google'd the hell out of it but I couldn't figure out which vendors had them. I did find a person on Etsy who makes a few different saber stands and picked one up (see below) but I do want the official one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Any idea what time the park reservation system goes live tomorrow? 7am eastern like the dining/FP reservations?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Anyone get in yet? Still sitting on the 'Just a moment' page since 7am.

Took 2.5 hours or so of bouncing around queues but I finally got in and got what I needed.

Thought I'd post the direct URL for the reservations: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-reservations/

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

IIRC the Fear Factor in Hollywood is gone.

I'm assuming those closures are based on ride numbers? Hilarious that one of the newest attractions is so dead they're better off closing it for now.