Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

TheGreyGhost posted:

Also, don't be intimidated by some of the lines on rides here. This is not true of Splash Mountain though. Two days go by very quickly here.

I know this post is from like 3 months ago, but my tip if you want to ride Splash Mountain is to go at night. Once the sun sets, the wait times go from about 2 hours to 5 minutes. As someone who goes to a Disney park every 2 years or so, I can't remember the last time I rode it during the day. That part of the park way off in the corner of Frontierland gets very quiet after about 8 pm, since there aren't any shows or restaurants there and everyone's gathering for the fireworks. You can ride Splash and Thunder mountains as many times in a row as you want and personally I find that there's something really peaceful about Splash Mountain in the dark with little ambient sound from the streets below. I've even managed to catch the fireworks while riding Splash Mountain. It's tough to time right, but getting to the very top of the big drop and having fireworks exploding over the expanse of the park you can see for that split second is very cool.

Plus Splash Mountain is around 12 minutes in length at Disneyworld and is far superior to the one at Disneyland, having more scenes and more drops, so it's a good ride to just chill on at the end of the day. In fact, now that I think about it, almost every doubled attraction at WDW is better and/or longer like Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain. The only one I can think of where Disneyland's is better is Pirates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Roar posted:

On the flipside, as of a few years ago they were having issues with the smoke alarms going off during the fireworks which would mean an evacuation from the ride. I dunno if they ever ended up fixing it.

I was there in December and rode it during the fireworks, so if there ever was a problem, it certainly wasn't apparent.

Apparently the Space Mountain in California was shut down for a couple months early this year for unsafe backstage areas.
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Disneyland-Employee-Safety-Rides-Closed-Space-Mountain-202948851.html

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Lincoln posted:

Honestly, the only thing I don't like about Space Mountain is that it's a pretty rough ride in an uncomfortably small car. I always feel like I'm coming out of there with bruised ribs.

It's got nothing on the Matterhorn in terms of being crammed into a tiny car on a rickety track.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

I like Coronado because they have queen sized beds instead of doubles. The decor is very nice and it tends to draw fewer families so it's a bit quieter.

Coronado also has probably the best quick service restaurant at any of the resorts if you're doing the dining plan.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I'm just happy they've finally realized that marketing the villains to the teen/adult demographic can be successful. This whole weekend is villains themed.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

demonR6 posted:

The Hero's Journey

Wow, that's quite the trek. I've been piecing together people's experiences from various places. My wife and I were there right in the thick of it. We were in town for another event, so we headed to Hollywood Studios at around 1:00 and just hung out for the day until it started. We didn't end up waiting in the 3 hour lines to get our picture taken, but we did chill with Frollo and Cruella in the dance pit in front of the stage. The line to get the special themed booze drinks was also crazy. I would have bought a Jafar Punch, but I ain't waiting 45 minutes for it. I don't think anyone expected it to be that popular; not Disney, not the guests. Someone else I knew who was staying on property said it took 2 hours to get from his hotel to the Magic Kingdom on the bus just due to the traffic going to Hollywood Studios.

I think Disney will probably rework the concept, use better planning, and bring it back at some point.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Can't help you on Fantasmic, as I didn't catch that while I was there a few weeks ago, but I did get a chance to use the magicbands/fastpass+ deal.

I have to say that Fastpass+ is awesome, especially if you download the special app for your phone. It's super easy to just make 3 or 4 reservations, and be able to just change them around whenever. Don't feel like Space Mountain right after a meal, change it to 3 hours later. I slept late and missed my 9:00 am Peter Pan reservation, but the line's not too long anyway, so I'll just change it to Splash Mountain at noon. It's also really easy to deal with, and granted I didn't go during peak season and I wasn't marathoning rides, but it felt like I didn't need more than 3 fast passes per day, especially in AK and HS, and at MK you're allowed 4 reservations. Perhaps in the super busy seasons you won't be able to just edit it to any ride at any time on the fly. Personally, I liked not having to rush to the machines first thing in the morning like for the Toy Story ride that seems to always run out or walk all over the place collecting the little tickets. It honestly seems like a way better system than what they've been doing the last 15 years.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Counterpoint: Cosmic Ray's has Sonny Eclipse, which is probably the single coolest thing in the entire Magic Kingdom. I need my alien lounge music.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Douchebag posted:

Everything has a fast pass. I'm surprised you can't fast pass taking a poo poo.

You can, however, get a fast pass for a defibrillator.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I don't understand why people even go there during the holidays. Is the novelty of being at Disney on Christmas really worth 4 hour waits and not being able to move most of the day? I can't imagine anyone having a good time on those days. Do they just not research crowd levels or have any idea what they're in for and think, "Disney on New Years, that sounds so fun!"

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Nathilus posted:

The mid tier joints provide enough perks per dollar for us to use every time. Personally I'd stay away from the Caribbean (it's almost as big and sprawly as the value resorts) and aim toward the Port Orleans (easily my favorite) or the Coronado (which some people like because it has the most mild themeing). This is a matter of taste though. Functionally all the mid-tier resorts are mostly equivalent, minus their locations and thus the length of bus rides.

I think a lot of people like Coronado mainly because of Pepper Market, which is the best value quick service credit on property. Does anyone hate all you can eat Churros? Coronado also has that nightclub that's open until like 2 AM.

Other than the obvious, the moderate resorts have small things that you probably wouldn't know the value resorts don't, like hot tubs at the pool, or bottles of lotion in the rooms.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

They introduced some new atmosphere entertainment at Animal Kingdom. It's...uh...something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN0XOIJyti4

That's pretty cool, but I feel they could have masked the guy wearing the dino suit better. Like why not paint the suit the same color as the dinosaur, at least in the chest area? Still if I were a kid, that would freak me out.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

I don't know if this has been posted, but these are the rumored Free Dining Plan dates coming up

http://www.doctordisney.com/2014/04/30/updated-rumors-release-dates-free-disney-dining-2014/

Those 3 random weeks missing in the middle of October are the Food and Wine festival I believe. As someone who's done free dining the last 2 trips I've made, it is absolutely 100% worth it and I will never go without it again.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Richard M Nixon posted:

I've been posting a lot on the disboards to prep for my trip next year and I catch myself sighing and shaking my head constantly at the posters over there. Does anyone else do the same? Maybe my time spent on SA and (long before) Reddit and the *chans has warped me, but those posters are just so squishy and sugary sweet. It's like reading what my mom and grandparents would be posting if they knew how to use a computer. The GBS in me has to resist the urge to reply "im gay" to every inane post on that forum.

Not to import drama, but I can't be the only one who cringes when reading what goes on in the happier, gentler parts on the internet. Or I've been too ruined to exist in society. Thanks, SA.

If you want your Disney discussion to be more SA-ish, I'd recommend the WDW Kingdomcast http://wdwkingdomcast.podbean.com and their facebook discussion group. Just a bunch of sarcastic assholes reviewing every bathroom on property, talking about how lovely magicbands are, and reliving old Epcot attractions.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

They officially announced the death of the Maelstrom today. http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/09/frozen-attraction-coming-to-epcot/

As expected, people are losing it. I can only hope they give it a ceremonial viking funeral and set it on fire while pushing it out to the sea.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I just don't know if people are going to be so absolutely batshit over Frozen five years from now.

At least Frozen is still hot right now. Just a reminder that they're still building Avatarland at Animal Kingdom. Who could possibly care about that now, much less five years from now? It's a multi-million dollar expansion solely for James Cameron to enjoy.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

So this is apparently what replaced Off Kilter?

http://youtu.be/DP5Xl4iO-lc

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Never ride tower of terror.

I will never ride ToT because I would pee myself.

I hate drop rides and am scared of heights, but I love Tower of Terror. It's mostly the theming and the art direction, which are some of the best stuff Disney has ever done in the parks. The one at WDW is expecially awesome because you get to travel down that cool hallway with all of the stuff from the Twilight Zone intro. It's too good not to go on.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The decline of Vinylmation was more due to internal politics and bad marketing decisions than people getting sick of it. I know someone who's friends with a former designer, and apparently at the high point in 2011 and 2012, there were two different design teams, one for the Disney Stores and one for the Disney Parks, but both were basically being run by the Disney Parks team. The Store team were way more interesting artists, which drew the ire of the lead designer of the Parks team, who then proceeded to give the Store team a bunch of non-Disney themed sets like super hero animals and professional wrestlers that were all but destined to fail. No one bought them, they went on clearance, and eventually all but 2 people on the Store team were let go. All of the series that were guaranteed to be popular, like Marvel, Star Wars, Haunted Mansion, were all snatched up by the Park team, even though most felt that they were the inferior design team. That's why you get every human character looking like weird frog people.

Here's the Store vs. Parks team designing the same character, Store is on the left. Way more style, personality, detail, which is at least what I want in a faux-urban vinyl collectible.

In terms of bad decisions, right at the peak of popularity, they decided to go crazy releasing series. During 2012 and 2013, there were literally new series every other week, which for the completist collectors was becoming pretty expensive. As a result of over-saturation, the shelves became flooded and a bunch of series were sent to the outlet stores to be clearanced because they didn't sell out immediately and they had to make room for even more new product. As a result, the collectible nature went downhill, because why buy something for full price when it will be 1/3 of that in 2 months? Around this time they also raised the price from $10 a box to $13 a box, which edged it out of the range of "impulse buy" for many casual collectors or people just looking for a souvenir. They stopped producing 9" figures all together, and upped the runs of Limited Edition stuff. Instead of 1000 of one figure, causing a big collector frenzy with people lining up at 6 am, they would produce 3000 instead, and it would eventually be clearanced. They accidentally killed their own collectible.

I used to be super into Vinylmation, but Disney blew it so badly.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Ah, Inside the Magic. Postin' that video despite Universals many requests to not take any video on the ride, including threatening Annual Pass cancellation.

Ricky Brigante is a gangster.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

It's important to show your solidarity with Steven Tyler

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Disney taking care of their guests as only they can

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Anya posted:

Would that be a good use of a QS or TS credit?

That's a table service credit for sure

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Apparently starting this last weekend, you can now rent a vinyl tent in Tomorrowland for $650 a day.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/11/breaking-magic-kingdom-adding-park-cabanas-guests-rent/

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

couldcareless posted:

Who pays for these things, Jesus

I was going to say you could stay in the Polynesian DVC villas for less, but the kind of people that would be willing to rent the vinyl tent probably have so much money, they can do both.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The ebayers have arrived

tomapot posted:

Really hoping that re-opening is not a massive mistake and the ruin of the company and costs many lives.

Narrator: "It was."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Just dropping in to lol at the 7 hour popcorn bucket line.

https://twitter.com/AliciaStella/status/1482043485104623617