Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Awesome OP! Seriously, I'm pretty impressed.

I'll be going to WDW with my wife next spring to celebrate our 1 year anniversary. Technically our anniversary is on April 27th, and we'd love to actually be at WDW when the anniversary hits, but if we push it back a few weeks because crowds will be smaller we'd do it in a heartbeat. There's nothing magical to us about the actual day itself; we know why we're there and that's all that counts.

So my question: is late April a good time to visit, crowd-wise? Or would we push to early April or late March? It should be mentioned that both our birthdays are in early April, so that could totally work as a "celebratory" trip as well.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Roar posted:

The earlier the better. April isn't great because of spring break; mid-late March would be better.

Ah yes, Spring Break. We were thinking of early April just to avoid it as much as possible, but maybe we'll lean toward late March instead.

Also, are there any couple-specific things anyone would recommend? Obviously we'll be doing our fair share of drinking at Epcot and lots of eating everywhere, but is there anything else we should know about? We're booking a dinner at Be Our Guest because she B&tB was one of her favorite Disney movies growing up, and I really want to go to O'hana. Any couple-y secrets around WDW?

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Lots of great advice, thanks everyone. That was exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping for. Not sure we'll be wearing those Mickey hats, but I'd totally love some buttons or something. Always nice to have a little special something on vacations like this.

So question about Extra Magic Hours: I can go to the night hours as long as I'm staying at ANY on-site hotel, correct? We're probably staying at Art of Animation, mostly because we'd rather spend money on awesome food and whatnot than on a room we won't be in much.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Yoda posted:

Correct, however you are limited to just one park with a regular ticket, and any park that is offering extra magic hours that day is going to be the most crowded park. If you do not have a park hopper ticket I would actually suggest NOT going to the magic hour parks, however if you do have park hopper certainly do a different park during the day and head over to the extra magic hours at night.

Yeah, we're getting Park Hopper tickets so we can do what someone else in the thread mentioned an possibly end up at Epcot most nights after going to another park all day.

We're also hitting Universal for a day or two (but staying at AoA the whole time). I know this is just about WDW but does anyone have any Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure advice?

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 20, 2013

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Brilliant. Thanks again everyone.

Voting opportunity: if we were going to have our "anniversary dinner" (aka one, big, expensive, amazing dinner) at WDW, where should it be?

We love every kind of food from basically all countries and are very adventurous eaters, so I just want to know what you all think is THE BEST restaurant at WDW worth dropping a couple hundred bucks at. One restaurant, full stop.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
drat, you all are great!

Here's a twist to the same question: I want a nice dinner AND a very nice, romantic setting. Looking at all the restaurants you all have suggested so far, it seems Le Cellier fits the bill the best. Also I wouldn't have to bring a blazer to Florida.

Think that's a safe bet?

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 21, 2013

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

As for food: My meal was excellent. The Cheddar soup (made with beer) and Pretzel Breadsticks alone are worth it for me, but the steak I had was wonderful.

The atmosphere is cozy and secluded. It's smaller than the outside would have you believe. I think it could work well for a romantic setting quite well.

as a heads up it is Signature, so if you are on dining plan of sorts, it will cost you 2 Table Service credits per person instead of the usual 1. If you are paying out of pocket that won't be an issue.

Otherwise, make sure you reserve. It fills up fast.

Cozy and secluded sounds nice, especially since we'll be coming off a day or two of being around throngs of people constantly.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

You are basically in the wine cellar of this building.

Except that it's also a gourmet steak house. The architecture inside is gorgeous if that sort of thing matters.

Very nice! And architecture absolutely matters. We love a good, all-around dining experience, and the architecture is a huge party of that.

My wife is also a sucker for beer cheese soup, so that kind of sold it for me.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Yoshifan823 posted:

maple creme brulee

Sold

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

HPanda posted:

Get reservations at Le Cellier 180 days in advance if at all possible! They will fill up insanely quickly. But yeah, dipping the pretzel bread in their beer cheese soup is reason enough to go.

Trust me, we've basically got our finger on the button when it comes to restaurant reservations, especially when it comes to our "one BIG dinner" and Be Our Guest. This won't be until late March/early April, so it will be awhile longer until we can reserve spots.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Circutron posted:

I've actually heard Be Our Guest is overhyped right now for what it actually is. Anyone heard anything similar?

Trust me, we're going just for the scenery. We really want to sit in the east wing room. No romance expected!

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Sending you an e-mail Braksgirl! Starting to plan a spring WDW/US vacation now.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Okay you crazy sons-of-bitches, we've booked our trip! We'll be staying at the Port Orleans Riverside from April 27th to May 2nd. Any tips about the place? We flip flopped between Riverside and French Quarter but chose Riverside because the in-house food is apparently better.

I've already gotten us dinner reservations for Jiko for our big anniversary dinner thanks to you goons. Also got a dinner res at Be Our Guest that Tuesday because she loves BatB and it's really the only restaurant she specifically wants to go to. Looking to make a couple of good reservations for somewhat inexpensive lunches, maybe Rose & Crown at Epcot, that kind of thing. Any suggestions on that front? Or are there more casual places we should definitely go? I'm a BIG planner, so reservation places would be preferable because I loving love the reservation system they have in place.

I also booked us a reservation for the Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party the last night we're there and I'm going to surprise her with it. $25 a piece seemed like a good price for a bunch of sweets and a good, casual view of the fireworks. Anyone else here done that?

Thanks so much to all of you for your advice, it definitely helped a lot in choosing when to go and where to eat. Also, where exactly do we get those bride and groom hats? I think she really wants to wear them...

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Biggz posted:

Whoa.. I didn't know this existed and I've just managed to get a reservation for March! :dance:

Nice! Glad I could pass that along to someone. A lot of the websites I looked at mentioned that you could only book tickets 60 days out, but they must have changed that recently because I have a reservation for May 1st.

EDIT: Don't see anything in this thread about it, so here's the official link: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/magic-kingdom/tomorrowland-terrace-fireworks-dessert-party/

And a review on EasyWDW: http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized/wishes-dessert-party-review-is-it-worth-it/

EasyWDW posted:

So is it worth it? I’m inclined to say yes. It provides a comfortable place to sit and wait for Wishes to start. You have a great view of Celebrate the Magic and Wishes. Instead of jockeying for a viewing spot with 20,000 other people, only for dad to put his eight kids on his shoulders to create a totem pole blocking your view, you’ll have just 169 other people doing the same thing. On the downside, the desserts are pretty average and you won’t have much of a view of the Electrical Parade. Is the Dessert Party necessary? No, you could very easily spend that hour grabbing treats from Plaza Ice Cream Parlor, Storybook Treats, Main Street Confectionery, or somewhere else and simply wait for the show to begin.

Pretty cool, I think!

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 31, 2013

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Gotten any special treatment with the hats? Are they a worthy investment?

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
So what's the word on free meal plans this year? I remember hearing they may not bring doing them again.

Anyone have any idea?

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
I'm staying with my lady at WDW in late April/early May and I happen to be planning to go to Disney Hollywood Studios on its 25th Anniversary (May 1st).

I know it may be an exception to many rules, but do any of you think we should shift DHW day to somewhere else in the week? Originally I was going to take my chances, but now I'm getting worried...

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Thought you all may be interested in this. We got our Magic Bands yesterday!

They fit nicely and I'm excited to try them out at the end of the month!

Quick question: can you use these at restaurants at all the parks to pay for food or do you still need to use cash/debit/credit to pay?

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
So Memory Maker...thoughts? Both for and against are welcome.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

In other news: The new Haunted Mansion shop is in soft openings, and by golly, I like it.

Is there any kind of regular schedule for when it's open? I'll be there the week before Thanksgiving and really would love to see it.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
A bunch of FastPasses for the Mine Train were apparently released for the first three weeks in November. Snagged FPs for my whole group of 13 people! Had to break the group in half but I was able to get 13 passes for the same time that way.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

So just very recently they let us cast members link our main gate entrance passes to My Disney Experience, and with it they gave us the chance to have a custom Magic Band. It came in a rad box that is much nicer than the other MagicBand boxes. Sleek, black, with a classic Mickey and on the inside, they have the Walt Disney quote about needing people to run the parks. Of course, this is like, my fifth magic band, so its not like I needed it, but getting the box is kind of neat.

tl:dr I am excited about Disney sending me a box.

Magic Band pic? Just curious.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Hitting up MK tomorrow. Excited to finally ride Mine Train! Snagged FPs for all 13 members of my family a couple weeks back. Any goons working tomorrow?

Also we're hitting the VMCP on Thursday night. Are most of the rides pretty easy to get onto?

EDIT: Another question: we couldn't seem to get a reasonable dinner reservation (aka not 3:15 in the afternoon) anywhere in MK for our whole group, even 180 days out. If we were going to just walk up somewhere at, say, 5:00, where should we try our luck?

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 16, 2014

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

First off, I'll be working at the Pooh/Tea Cups area. Not sure where I'll be though. Secondly, MK dining is an odd beast because there are four total places to book an ADR at in the park, all of which fill up fast. Tony's Town Square sometimes has walk up space though (and if you like American style Italian food, it's good stuff)

If you want good food that isn't table service, that's hard, since it's mostly fast food fare elsewhere in the park. I love me some Pecos Bill, but it's basically a spruced up burger joint. (If you go to Cosmic Rays, avoid everything but the chicken stuff like the plague. Burgers and hot dogs are bad news there, but the chicken sandwich and the Rotisserie chicken have actually been decent eats when I had to eat there.

If you need thoughts on any eatery, give a shout. I have OPINIONS ON FOOD.

We've got a FP on Pooh starting at 12:45. Who should I be looking for?

Thanks for the note on Tony's, we'll check that out!

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Well I didn't see this until now but I am one of the larger (but shrinking, thankfully) cast members at pooh. At 12:45, I may have been the guy at the front letting in FastPass people or the person holding the standby and fastpass lines at the merge point. I can't quite remember where I was in rotation at that point.

Working Thursday?

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Hello Disney-loving goons!

Went on my second WDW trip of 2014 with my entire family last month, 13 of us in all, and had an incredibly fantastic time. I make a vacation video each year as a Christmas gift to my family, so I thought maybe you'd like to see this year's. I was able to integrate footage from the SDMT and ToT MemoryMaker videos, which was great video to take advantage of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm5HNKKqZrw
http://youtu.be/Tm5HNKKqZrw

Don't worry, it's not 30+ minutes of people wandering around airports and hotels with 5 minutes of interesting stuff. This is just under 5 minutes of all the best footage. Take a watch and let me know what you think!

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 29, 2014

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
So has the Hat at Hollywood Studios come down yet? Or are they still working on it?

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Holy shitsnacks, they have a Haunted Mansion party theme! That's really awesome. If only I had all the money in the world...

http://www.wdwdvm.com/brochures/brochurefiles/Room_for_One_More-Haunted_Mansion.pdf

Does anyone know how much an even like this would run? I know it depends on the size, but what's, say, the mid-sized price? I'm just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
They're officially expanding Soarin' and Toy Story:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/03/more-opportunities-to-soar-enjoy-toy-story-mania-coming-to-walt-disney-world-resort/

I'd heard people mention this here and elsewhere but I don't think it was "official" yet