Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Renegret posted:

The first time I went to Disney with my now wife, we rope dropped Magic Kingdom and headed straight for...Gaston's Tavern.

That's when I knew she was the one for me.

My now wife learned how to make Lefou's Brew for me, so same boat.

Now we're days away from our honeymoon trip, which includes two days at Disneyland.

Bottom Liner posted:

Sigournry Weaver being the shadow power behind the First Order would be a hell of a lot cooler than Palpatine TBH

Rey and Jar Jar share a joint while awaiting the end of the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

"Uncle Orville was filmed going on a racist rant after being told to wear a mask at the store. Then Twitter doxxed him!"

"There's no privacy!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Boxman posted:

I proposed at Magic Kingdom, at the end of the first night of our trip. I stashed the ring in my pocket when we headed out for the parks, then spent the day terrified of losing it. You can see in all the on-ride photos from that day that I have one hand in my pocket with a death grip on the ring box.

Heh. So a few years ago, I proposed to my wife in the middle of a Christmas party we were hosting (just having a bunch of friends over to watch Christmas movies and TV episodes). I figured it was going to be the most obvious thing because she knew it was on the horizon, but other than ITSHAPPENING.gif going on in her head the moment I opened my mouth, it was a total surprise. We had an April DW trip planned and she was certain that was when I was going to go for it.

She was super relieved because the whole thing would have been so stressful and distracting to me for multiple reasons and by the time I would have asked the question, we'd probably be tired, sweaty messes. To this day, she will still randomly just say, "God, I'm glad you didn't propose at Disney."

Also, two funny stories from the proposal:

1) Only two friends, a married couple, were in on it. One to play our song when I got down to one knee and the other to take pictures on her phone. They were tense the whole day because of it and my now-wife spent the day thinking they were having a huge fight and were trying to hide it from everyone.

2) One friend was in the bathroom during the entire proposal. He came out minutes later, casually wondering why everyone was cheering. A year or so later, when he announced his own engagement on Facebook, me and my wife raced over who could comment, "Sorry, I was in the bathroom. What I miss?" first.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Empress Brosephine posted:

What if Spider Man was the bad guy

Then we just send Turkish Captain America and Turkish El Santo to stop him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUwIcOBMdSc

A 1975 TV special celebrating the opening of Space Mountain. Try to count how many things haven't changed.

I highly recommend checking out Themed Alternative. It's Kevin from Defunctland, Disney Dan and Nate Begle (one of the guys currently playing Crow on MST3K) doing off-the-cuff riffs on all the old Disney park TV specials. Unfortunately, they're abridged to just 15 minutes or so.

The best one is probably the Living Seas, which is full of Disney trying to fill up time with anything water-related they can think of. This leads to a line I won't spoil that is so out of nowhere that it has all three guys dying of laughter.

Also, one of the specials straight-up had Mickey shoot a dude.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Tim Whatley posted:

Just keep swinging for the fences with bad, partner-based themed experiences. Partner with AEW who's in the same state, and do an AEW wrestling experience like WWF Times Square.

AEW is affiliated with Warner Bros.... meaning that they'll do it for the sake of kicking down THE FORBIDDEN DOOR.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Universal Studios is ALL ELITE.

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1431315361094242304

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Luigi Thirty posted:

So…

Monorails?

I hear those things are awfully loud.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Hazo posted:

Passing time in line for seven dwarfs by playing Doom on my magicband

These dwarves are SMALL! That means they have SMALL GUTS!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Boxman posted:

I remember thinking that DCA during halloween time - even before the Oogie Boogie Bash started - was definitely spookier than MK, but holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/blomquist33/status/1449936171560161288?s=21

It's funny to compare this to how Marvel reacted to Universal's Maximum Carnage Halloween thing. Makes a world of difference when the theme park people own the comic.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/1450150340242788353

Forget Rip Ride Rock-It. Go watch Wardlow instead.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Apparently one of the big Disney cruises will include a big cinematic dining adventure about Captain America (Sam), Captain Marvel, Ant-Man and the Wasp taking on Ultron.

Much like the What If show, no Spader for Ultron.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Grundulum posted:

That was amazing. I was expecting a 10-15 minute video, but I watched the entire thing and enjoyed every minute. Holy balls. Is every Defunctland video like that?

To add to what others have mentioned, the early days, while very informative and good quality (albeit with a forgotten gimmick of making a virtual theme park of defunct attractions), were relatively simple due to going for the easy targets. Alien Encounter, Kongfrontation, Jaws, etc. Eventually, the go-to defunct rides and parks started to dry up and he's gotten more creative with his videos. Most of season 3 is him discussing parks and events that directly shaped Walt Disney himself, which gets fascinating, while his last episode prior to Fastpass was a bizarre video on the Handwich.

He has a second series called Defunct TV, which is also great, focusing on cancelled kid shows. His last big project is his multi-part series on the life and career of Jim Henson, which I highly recommend.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 23, 2021

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Question. Is there a good YouTube channel someone could recommend that deals in Universal? Like a Universal counterpart to Disney Food Blog.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Speaking as someone who literally wrote YT scripts for DFB a while back (and a bunch of other stuff on the site); The DIS is trying to push in that direction but they aren't flawless. Are you specifically looking for food-related stuff or the overall absolute detail lunacy level that DFB is? (Not talking poo poo about AJ, she is just super aware of things like-they changed a topping on a hot dog at a cart in AK :aaa: )

Closer to the latter.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

worms butthole guy posted:

They ripped out aerosmith and put in Iron Man for Rock n Roller Coaster Paris. Wonder when ours will get a overhaul. I know they can't use Marvel but didn't they turn it into a Star Wars coaster for like one night a few years ago?

Give the ride more Ken Marino.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

couldcareless posted:

Someone has to have already gone in trying to play a Trek character right?

Going to dress like Yoshimitsu from Soul Calibur and constantly tell people that this is canon.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

If the commercial showed you imprisoning Lumpy from the Star Wars Holiday Special, nobody would be arguing.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

disney visit question: would I be allowed in with "emperor Palpatine fucks" on a shirt because with the recent rise in overlooking stuff on shirts-

As long as it includes Palpatine grabbing his crotch while saying, "You want this... don't you...?"

couldcareless posted:

Even defunctland's stuff that isn't directly Disney is really well done and researched. The way he presents his information is also quite engaging. I regularly find myself entranced by the Defunctland TV episodes even though my exposure to these shows of the past are minimal to none.

Agreed. Virtually everything from Defunct TV is from outside my time except Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, but they all do a great job sucking me in. Probably my favorite being the Adventures in Wonderland episode, with its insane tangent of the unaired OJ Simpson episode that somehow got its own book adaptation.

The series on Jim Henson's career is fantastic too.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

couldcareless posted:

Because a handful of dumb loud people threw a fit about last Jedi and forced them to bring in the one person who can't close out a story to save his life.

:can:

And also because the guy who was originally going to do Episode 9 decided to poo poo the bed by releasing his passion project that was so bad that Disney had to drop him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Missed opportunity by not having any HALYX tracks on Cosmic Rewind.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Dugong posted:

Also Guardians reviews saying it’s a 2022 version of The Mummy sounds extremely my jam.

Terry Crews bursts through the wall. "COSMIC REWIND IS TOO POWERFUL TO END!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Upsidads posted:

It ruined yoda and Darth Vader but at least it gave us Jar Jar

Yoda was ruined by Return of the Jedi because the Leia twin reveal retroactively makes him look like a dumbass.

Luke: My friends are being tortured to death! I have to save them!

Yoda: No, you're too important, Luke. You should let that bus full of kids drow-- I mean, you should let your friends die. I'm telling you, let Leia and the others die. Don't be a hero, or you'll become a villain or probably die. I don't know, you suck and I have no faith in you whatsoever. You're better off just letting Leia and the rest die.

Luke: I'm sorry, but I have to try.

Yoda: Well! Good thing we have Leia to fall back on.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Omne posted:

Doesn't mean the characters they hired were "official" though. At some of the events my neighborhood puts on, they bring in princesses that bear striking resemblances to Ariel, Aurora, Belle, etc. and I've seen Mickey and Minnie out too.

I once went to an unforgettable luncheon that a coworker hosted and he had Aurora there, but she was localized entirely in the kitchen and I wasn't allowed to see her.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Arquinsiel posted:

First time I got on it I was operating on information 15 years out of date and still believed "Disney coasters don't go upside down". Nearly lost my glasses in the first loop. Now half the fun is trying to spot the person in the post-preshow queue who has no idea what they're getting into and is starting to get The Fear.

For me, half the fun of RnR is keeping an eye on Ken Marino (post-The State and pre-everything else) just hanging out and quietly reacting in the background during the recording studio bit.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

chitoryu12 posted:

So far it seems the staff has completely refused to say what's in that drink when asked. Some people are suggesting using the allergy ingredient list request to get access to it, and it would be extremely sketchy if that isn't enough to reveal the contents.

IT'S PEOPLE!! KAIRBURR CRYSTAL IS PEOPLE!!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm writing a thing about the history of Marvel in theme parks. Has there been any instances of Marvel being used anywhere before Islands of Adventure? I don't even mean rides or anything, as it could be something with character meet and greets.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Thank you. That's perfect.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

J33uk posted:

Just since I figure you folks in here would dig this... There's a new Defunctland up. It's apparently about the Disney Channel Theme, haven't watched it yet but I'm sure it's quite the thing. It's also 90 minutes long.

It's very good. It's basically Kevin all Dr. Claw'd out, trying to figure out the mystery of who wrote the Disney Channel jingle that they've been using since 2002. It gets pretty sweet and emotional at the end.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

thatguyclint posted:

It's this or Powerline and I'm not sure I'd accept anything else.

Replace all the Aerosmith music with the "Coo-Coo Cola" commercial theme from Rescue Rangers.

Bottled in Pensacolaaaaa....!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Zikan posted:

The preexisting Marvel deal that Universal has at Islands of Adventure probably complicates the addition on any large Marvel expansion. Note that Guardians is a Marvel property that explicitly is not involved in any of Islands of Adventure attractions unlike Spider Man, Hulk, quite a few X-Men etc.

I want to see a boardroom meeting where somebody explains to Disney bigwigs what obscure Marvel properties they could potentially turn into TV shows and movies while being able to sidestep the Universal contract.

"So Randall Park's character from the second Ant-Man movie and WandaVision hangs out with a talking gorilla, a 1950s robot and a siren who thinks she's the goddess Venus..."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Superrodan posted:

Bilge Rat Barges is also the most wet I think I've been on at any ride in any park.

It's nothing compared to Coupon: The Movie: The Ride.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Silly Burrito posted:

They should do a Miles Morales ride. He didn’t even exist in the 90s.

Yeah, but he's still roped in with the Spider-Man characters. I'd be interested in seeing a list of characters who sidestep the Universal deal. Like, the Inhumans appear in a big mural at Superhero Island, so if their show hadn't poo poo the bed and they somehow became a viable franchise, would they be off-limits to Disney in Orlando?

I referenced the Agents of Atlas, but they originally came from a comic called What If the Avengers Had Formed in the 1950's?, so would that technically put them under the Avengers umbrella?

It can't be overstated how much Disney lucked out with Guardians of the Galaxy being such a big deal. Nobody cared about the original version of the team and the beloved version of the team came to exist long after the Universal deal happened.

The answer here is that Marvel needs to go back to using Gravity in their stories so he can get his own movie and then get a ride at Disney World. Really, they never should have stopped using Gravity. He was fun. I miss him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I disagree. They need to do a ride based around the Sentry and then insist that it's been there since opening day.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Apparently there were two groups in front of the 100th Anniversary sign. One group wanted to take a picture of it, but the other group was kind of crowding it while doing the same. Someone from the first group asked someone from the second group if they could move and got punched for it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

yeah I'm actually entering it daily. It'd be a nice thing to win and take the spouse,, you know? Especially if they convert the starcruiser stay part to any deluxe resort.

Same.

But as someone who got to see Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, there's part of me that just wants to be able to check out the Starcruiser before it goes away as it's too strange to exist.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

couldcareless posted:

Potatoland is the still one of the funniest Disney things I've ever seen

Every Christmas, me and my wife make sure to watch Duck the Halls. Usually after an edible.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Aphrodite posted:

Is the show the same self aware bad as in Hawkeye?

I just watched the whole thing off YouTube and Nick Fury is the comic relief. It's self-aware, but still genuine enough at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CapnAndy posted:

The one thing that bugged me about what we saw in Hawkeye was that two apparently random civilians open the song, monopolize the first half, and keep pulling focus even after Steve appears — he’s a supporting character in his own play. Do they have some central plot role or are they really just randos who show up to hijack the pre-intermission number?

The WWII stuff has the "Star-Spangled Man" dancing propaganda ladies doing singing narration. When Cap wakes up in the present, they're SHIELD agents. When it goes over his adventure as an Avenger, it's those random civilians taking over the role just for that song.

Then they extend the song for another half a minute just to gloss over Winter Soldier, Age of Ultron, and Infinity War.