Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Me and the parents are heading down to WDW on Thursday. Staying at Saratoga Springs and very excited for the new Star Wars fireworks on Saturday as we are signed up for the dessert party. It's drat sad what happened and my heart goes out to those affected by the actions of a real piece of poo poo. In lighter commentary there's at least a good chance my dollars will fill the gap left by anyone scared away as I'll be drinking around the world at Epcot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do you have more info on this? Is it every night? I was planning on going Friday not Saturday, but if it's something cool I might be convinced to put up with a busier park and just deal with it.

Yeah as bottom liner posted it starts Friday, we just happened to have Saturday as our HS day. Supposedly it has fancy new pyro effects and projections and the fireworks tests have been waking people up staying on property for the last week which is pretty promising. I've seen the current and soon to be previous show, Symphony in the Stars and it was some of the best stuff I've seen at a park.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

I saw some driving home the other night around 1 am, it was pretty nuts. Can't wait to see it!

Man I'm trying to contain my excitement and you're not helping! Really glad to hear it's looking good though. The dessert party is pretty fun too if the expense isn't too much for people. Nice snacky food and free cocktails combined with roped off space is especially cool as the crowds outside the roped off area were a little nutty in early April.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I know this may come across as a little insensitive and my condolences do go to everyone involved but... I know the ferry service has been cancelled for today for rather obvious reasons. I'm currently booked in for the dessert cruise for Wishes tomorrow. Any news yet on if they're reopening things tomorrow? I'm going to give Disney a little call later this evening when they've got a little more time to work out what to do tomorrow, but I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Kazak_Hstan posted:

There is no amount of management that will fix people being dumb and clueless on vacation, it's kind of the point of vacation to an extent. The number of people I encounter doing absolutely stupid poo poo in real live wilderness in Alaska is shocking. If you can't get people to not approach wild brown bears within twenty yards for a picture when they had to get in a bush plane and fly to a remote location to get there (you can't), you're never going to get people to think about safety from wildlife in a place like Disney. Someone else is in charge, responsibility is turned off, etc. There is some non zero chance bad things will happen anywhere, regardless of precautions.

The second part of the story on the NBC Nightly News about this was titled "What did they know?" in reference to Disney. We have hit the point of media coverage of any type of bad event needing a crusade to find and punish someone no matter what.

Moving back to lighter things again, I'm finally getting to do Test Track (hopefully) for the first time this trip. I've always never been able to get a fast pass or had it go down for maintenance. Any good advice or tips?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I love Mission: Space and an update to that would be awesome as the displays really are showing their age. Throw in a red path for maximum face pulling G's as well

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

BlueBayou posted:

As much as I am sure the new Soarin' is dope.....

I feel like they really missed a chance to do Soarin' over the fictional lands of Disney.

So like.... you visit Agrabah, Arendelle, Pride Rock, San Fransokyo, Radiator Springs etc etc etc

Given how much of the new ride is CG they're not far off. That'd be sweet

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
They've also got that kinda nifty trivia game in the standby line which if you're unreasonably competitive can be a great distraction

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
At the Hilton Bonnet Creek right now and the war stories from people who have been at the parks sound nuts. Massive crowds and MK is already doing capacity control. Glad I'm just chilling at the hotel tonight.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Anya posted:

Maybe mission space gets new videos or prettier barf bags!

If they take Gary Sinise away then my Mum is never going on it again in protest.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

This is all just prologue to what I'm sure will be the largest money-printing machine Disney has ever created: Actual Lightsabers.

I know that article is old but I just read a bunch of the news about Star Wars Land that came out of the Celebration and it all sounds like highly unrealistic future poo poo that will inevitably set a new level of theming standards for theme parks the world over.

Until Nintendo World opens and they're selling actual Yoshis that you can take home and ride everywhere and I go broke buying all the colors.

As someone who has done the Star Wars dessert party around 5 times now (all three venues!) this will financially annihilate me. I've even honestly considered doing that Rebels in room experience as well (but $500 is a little overkill)

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

BlueBayou posted:

That Al Micheals for Oswald trade is the best thing ever.

It's one of my favorite Disney anecdotes to drop because it's just so drat weird. Plus most people out there don't even know about Oswald to begin with.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I'm glad this thread isn't into that whole DISBoard scene because while dedicated those people are also "FlyerTalk" levels of crazy and entitled. Glad they closed the loophole, any time you benefit from something like that you should know you're hastening it's demise anyway.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Doesn't look like anything to me

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I love Tiffins but can see why it has some trouble attracting theme park folks, it's a shame as the servers always seem to be super nice.That said my family lives Yak and Yeti as well, never really had a bad meal there.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Quixotic1 posted:

Just learned that the in-laws are DVC members, what's the best way for me to explore,expand,exploit, upon this newfound knowledge.

I am exceedingly glad you didn't do the other X

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

New Mission Space came out today I guess and everyone is saying it's real bad :( might just be Disney hyperbole though.

It's my Mum's favorite ride, they better not have hosed it up.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Quick question for some Orlando folks: We're doing a Disney as a family in December (including the Holiday D-Lights tour because it's someone's birthday and we're going nuts) and we'll be there when The Last Jedi comes out. What's my best bet for the biggest, clearest screen and kidney shattering audio?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Well my family are doing a trip for my Dad's birthday in December. We had one night open where we had nothing booked and weren't sure what to do other than see The Last Jedi in the afternoon. Strangely enough that night happened to be... https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/hollywood-studios/star-wars-galactic-nights/

God drat it Disney you got my money again.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Guys it's okay she knows the local SWAT team

https://deadspin.com/cops-belligerent-alex-morgan-causes-scene-at-disney-wo-1819150793

Also it apparently all went down at the Rose and Crown showing that some stereotypes are unavoidable

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soc...ocid=spartanntp

Alex Morgan managed to dig the hole deeper, claimed that any ban against her would be lifted "tomorrow" to police on the day of.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Looks like Star Tours is getting locked to sequel content for now with a possible choice emerging in 6-12 months allowing riders to choose between sequel content and Episodes 1-6 stuff. It does make sense since most people are going to want to see the new stuff and not get screwed by the randomizer, but some of the magic will be lost. Either way with Galaxy’s Edge opening in the future it may not be long for this world anyway.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/disneys-star-tours-ride-may-be-making-some-huge-changes-1820399655

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

Seems like Star Tours will be here to stay, I think. This morning they announced Galaxy's Edge planet is called Batuu and that Star Tours will go through it and the ride will end with landing on the planet.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/11/new-star-tours-destination-revealed/?CMP=SOC-DPFY17Q4wo1116171122170014C

That's a really smart way to push Galaxy's Edge, really excited to ride it in December now at the Star Wars Galactic Night event! This makes me feel more hopeful about the future of the ride as well since it functions nicely as a bridging point to direct people. Man people are going to be making canonical orders for Star Wars rides once this all opens aren't they?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Omne posted:

So I told y'all that my wife got us tickets to Star Wars Galactic Nights for my birthday. What I DIDN'T know was she also got us costumes: I'm going as evil Anakin, she's going as Amidala. This.....should be interesting

Sounds awesome! I’m doing Galactic Nights as well for my dads birthday so I’ll be on the look out for ya!

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I’m going to the Galaxy’s Edge discussion at Galactic Nights on Saturday, really curious to see what they have to show.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
At the Christmas party right now. Just watched the parade and we had some nice spots against the rope we got about twenty minutes before the start. With two minutes to go some grandma gets her four 3-5 year old kids to crawl up to the rope and sit on my shoes. Couldn’t move my legs at all without hitting a kid for the whole parade while grandma just says the occasional half assed sorry from behind. I like Magic Kingdom but it seems to attract the worst people. Parade still rocked though.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Yeah I feel bad because they’re kids but the madness needs to stop somewhere. They also need to ban older kids from being used to push double wide strollers with younger siblings and require scooter users to demonstrate basic competency because boy that got dumb towards the end of the evening. Excited for Galactic Nights tomorrow!

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Dren posted:

On the one hand I feel you but on the other hand they are 3-5 year old kids who would not have been able to see the parade if they hadn’t done that and isn’t Disney World kinda built for them?

Oh you’re totally right, we even squished in as a family to let some folks in before this. But kids literally crawling around my legs and on my shoes is just a little much, if I moved my legs at any point during the parade I would have hit a kid which is not a fun feeling.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I've just become a step uncle this year and the kids are a little older, so thankfully I get to miss the whole crying for no reason part and instead deal with sugared up insanity and teenage stuff. Sounds like you're doing a great job though man, thanks for the awesome write-up!

My parents and I were there for a Very Merry Christmas party on December 15th and the spot we staked out for the parade was apparently the area where the Country Bears were hanging out. We spent about twenty minutes goofing around with them and it was awesome.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

I bet Disney reverses this within a week. It's the most obvious cash grab ever. Can't imagine what those Facebook comments and message boards look like.

I'm guessing the DISboards are like a warzone right now. I've got to agree with what was said further up thread, outside of the 90 day FPs there's very little incentive to stay on property any more. The cost compared to a relatively nice hotel like the Hilton Bonnet Creek just isn't worth it. Plus I like racking up my Hilton points.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Watching the wait times on the app while getting slowly trashed at the Bonnet Creek Hilton was about as close as I want to get on NYE. Part of me wants to do the NYE stuff at the Grand Floridian and have a room there sometime but I can’t justify the value for money.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Yacht Club apparently got evacuated due to a lightning strike. They got the all clear to go back in... Five minutes later another strike and the same thing. Jeez

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

couldcareless posted:

I think the better question is if it's edible now.

A dream is a wish your heart makes

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah that's gonna be a 2020 spring slip 99%

I can see them pushing ungodly hard for the Episode IX tie in factor

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Quixotic1 posted:

Saw pics of Toy Story land, and oh God, I thought the restaurant was gonna be indoors. Nothing like a gooey s'mores sandwich in the blazing humid sun.

Also it's gonna feel near 100degrees at times, this 4th of July week when I go to. Universal needs to make seasonal summer Harry Potter robes for the kids.

Sounds like the budget cuts have hit TSL pretty drat hard. Good luck anyone going there this weekend.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Well poo poo. Got the Annual Passholder Toy Story Land September exclusive playtime invite. After waiting five minutes for everything to load all the slots are now sold out. Awesome.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

The Macaroni posted:

I've brought my kid to Epcot a couple of times and we love it, but we should probably do a different park this next trip. She's just over 48" tall so she can ride pretty much everything in all the parks. What should our next destination be?

(Even though I could ride Test Track 3-4 times and still be perfectly happy, to be honest.)

What’s she into terms of rides and themes?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The Explicit Hidden Cel

Edit: “Good Children Take Off Your Clothes” Before anyone starts, yes of course it’s bullshit but by god I can imagine it distracting someone on the opposing team with blind rage to give you the edge

J33uk fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 9, 2018

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

couldcareless posted:

Why do I feel like I'm showing up just after a bunch of events in September. Missing this in a DVC member night as well.

I’m there September 7th-11th and feel like I’m missing all the fun food and wine events starting up. Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Well looks well Disney World is removing plastic straws. Yay for the environment? Downside. They’ve also removed plastic lids. Apparently Cosmic Rays today was basically a revolving massacre of massive drink spills. Past the point of inconvenience and towards actively really loving up their ability to serve.