Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I think Kali wouldn’t get as much hate if Grizzly River Run didn’t like, improve on it in every way.

That being said, Popeye’s Undersea Adventure is just about the pinnacle of the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
As long as it isn't a selfie stick Disney doesn't care. Universal was cracking down on it for a while.

I've probably been on flight of passage a hundred times and never noticed goblin man and I need to find him and I will point him out in every tour moving forward.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Coasterphreak posted:

wait

did only nerds know this

Universal has a habit of leaking like, every single detail of every new addition years before they even start building, but only announcing when it’s half built.

I think celestial park is more like a hub/Main Street kind of area and not packed with rides. The video says something like 80 experiences but like, does that mean rides plus shops plus restaurants plus shows? I hope not.

Might have to spring for that hotel especially if it includes express. I do love the grand Californian.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah my roommate opened gringotts and it was wild how under capacity they ran for months. I think the idea was to run with something like 10 RVs and they had 3 on opening day.

Numbers aren’t accurate because I’m remembering conversations from like a decade ago but it was something like that.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Braksgirl posted:

Go to the Boulangerie and get a fresh warm baguette.

THIS. Probably the most reasonable snack item in Disney and it's a whole drat baguette for like $4.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Tim Whatley posted:

I'm assuming if I buy a UOAP that it will absolutely not include Epic Universe next year?

I suspect not. Since Universal insists that Volcano Bay is the third park, anyone who had a pass at the time needed to upgrade to a 3-Park Pass. I suspect that will probably be the case with Epic, and I heard a rumor that they might not even have annual passes when it first opens.

That being said, as far as I know nothing official has been announced.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh my god the cast members that had to sit through all those auditions every day... that is hell.

I worked with a few of the casting directors on that show and I remember them telling me “I Can Go the Distance” was the song that, if you announced it was your audition song, they would prepare themselves for extra suffering.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

couldcareless posted:

Note to self, call guest services over and over asking "do you have stairs in your house?"

Luckily I think it’s the telecom building call center and not the DRC “abandon all hope ye who enter this place” call center.

I had a few friends from there join us at DSS. It didnt destroy the soul like the DRC does.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Fun fact, I spent a year or so as one of the sweepers!

Typically, we would get assigned to a bus and a location and... wait. Once the balloon ladies passed us and the line was officially cut, orange county sheriffs would roll up and we would block the route, funneling any remaining racers into the bus to go back to the reunion area. They used VIP tour guides for this since many of us had background in Guest Relations (or at least other guest service roles, since I was never actually GR) and were generally a lot better at letting folks down than the bus drivers or sheriffs. Usually we would drop those folks off and then head up to a later spot in the race.

The trick is to figure out the fastest time you can submit without providing a proof of time and going with that. My MIL ended up in corral A last year because of that. Then the trick is to figure out the front of the corral and make your way as close as you can get. I think for the ten miler last year I had almost an hour's head start on the balloon ladies.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeaaahhhh, I’d expect a little more compassion out of a Balloon Lady. They’re basically the angel of death for races.

I don’t think they ever did Hyperspace Mountain but they set up a whole goddamn Star Wars themed Rock N Roller Coaster and used it what, 2 or 3 nights ever? Premier party for the sequel trilogy. What a waste. It was after Star Wars Weekends got killed.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I’d always heard it was Lucas who put the kibosh on fun Star Wars, not the other way around. We were all in on stormtrooper Donald and earth goofy until the lucasfilm sale went through. Heard it was a requirement of the sale. That’s what we were always told at least.

I loving loved Star Wars weekends though. That was near the end of my stint as a full time guide and I got to work two of the weekends. I wish I had been watching Rebels at the time, I met like half the cast that year.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Side rant, but Disney is actually kind of bad with this with their own characters. For instance, any live stage show where Goofy is dancing good. Goofy should not be a good dancer!

Any examples of Pixar's conditions?

Pixar I can believe. They’re very protective about how their characters are used.

Pixar characters must always meet with some sort of themed backdrop - you know how you might randomly meet Mickey on Main Street just at a convenient section? Pretty much will never happen for Pixar. Buzz at MK has his set, Toy Story land is a whole backdrop for them. If you ever meet a Pixar character at like a random event in a ballroom they’ll usually have a vinyl backdrop set up behind them for this reason.

For many years, Jessie and Woody met at the Splash exit with their little setup. Well, some Entertainment leader decided to move them to the chipmunk’s location over by the Little Mississippi one day. Pixar found out and apparently revoked permission for Woody and Jessie to meet in the MK pretty much immediately.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I have two counters-

The second, I can't remember the name of it, but in 2010 I think they re-worked the Block Party Bash parade, which would perform two elaborate 12 minute stopped performances, into a continuously moving parade. Block Party Bash was one of the best of all time IMO and this change just completely stripped it bare.

Countdown to Fun or as I called it “Countdown to oh crap parade’s already over”. Where you could find a front row spot as the parade got to your location.

Mickey Mania was something else. There’s the Aladdin parade from DHS that was just “Prince Ali” on repeat but not edited to loop- it just faded out and started up from the beginning.

Spectromagic :P. MSEP for life (but paint the night destroys both of them)

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
https://youtu.be/-WYJfbVMeA4

Preview for Land of Berk just got dropped this morning.

Water ride looks like the best part.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah maelstrom was awful but in that perfect “so bad it’s good” area. Like three cabelleros currently sits.

Frozen is a better ride in basically every way except the way it has an actual wait.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah, SeaWorld has really been emphasizing their rides over the animals in recent years.

If you’re in San Diego, I’d do the Wild Animal Park if I really wanted to see the animals anyways.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Halloween Horror Nights dates confirmed, August 30th through November 4th.

http://spr.ly/6187w89c9

If I recall correctly, this is the first time HHN has broken the August barrier, although my friend's take: "They'll be down to like 25% of their performers by October."

I think it was only a matter of time before it spilled into August. I think I'm going to combo an Unmasking the Horror behind the scenes tour into an RIP Tour this year, but on different days. Learned my lesson last year.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Tim Whatley posted:

Think I might sign up for Unmasking The Horror this year. In 2022 it was my first ever HHN and I absolutely loved it but my wife was so scared lol. This seems to be my workaround.

I have a friend that's in the same boat, she'll never go to HHN with me but she liked the lights on tour!

At least in year's past, the 6 house and the 3 house versions have had different houses along the route. That info isn't usually released until the full reveal, but it might help you decide which tour to book if there's a house that you have to see.

EDIT: New from my guide friend, but they're actually starting the 3 house tour before the event starts this year.

Cais fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 4, 2024

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Aphrodite posted:

How much is the add-on? I have a pass and would never use the photos, but I do go with family once or twice a year.

It’s $100. We add it on to my wife’s pass - six photos or so and you break even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Aphrodite posted:

When does Universal usually start selling the multi-night HHN passes?

In recent years it hasn’t been until most of the houses are revealed. I have some marketing emails from 2022 that mention them dated late July.

There’s always some fear in the community that “this is the year they stop selling them” that has thus far been unfounded. A gap between single day tickets and multi-day tickets has become the norm.