Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Ugh agreed. When I finished my CP I had one drat quarter left and it was the worst quarter of my life. On the bright side, it let me come back to do a professional internship.

I'm doing Epcot for New Years this year. Nothing like partying with 60000 new friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
And just as an FYI, the Limited Edition MagicBands must be linked at time of purchase to a RF enabled media. You won't be able to link it later, like one of the normal open edition MagicBands. So in that case it would be linked to whatever you linked it to forever.

I had a big interview with VIP tours yesterday. With any luck, I'll be back in the parks in the next few months.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
They well could have. The important thing is to not link it. It's basically either impossible or a massive pain in the rear end to switch things once it has been linked to someone.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
It was part of the party for the sense package if I remember right, the expensive food party.

Which I have heard is totally worth it. Maybe someday.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
They've been plinking at it slowly. The gold swirl underneath definitely shows signs of removal. There's now some equipment underneath so it'll probably progress quicker now.

So in three weeks I'm back to working in the parks. I'm pretty excited. The big downside is our base is in downtown Disney which means I'll actually have to deal with DTD traffic.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
From today's construction it looks like instead of being disassembled they've been cutting it down. I doubt it's going to be reconstructed.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
The marathon this weekend is the Star Wars one at disneyland, the Wdw marathon was last weekend.

It'll be busy but not quite in a christmas kind of way.

Most attractions have a cast member assigned to keep the stroller parking area tidy, so just don't leave valuables or your child in the stroller and it'll be fine. Most times one was taken (and I only saw it once or twice on my program) it was accidental, not malicious. Identical strollers, grabbed the wrong one sort of thing.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

So those two weeks in parking seem to have paid off. I am officially being trained at a second attraction complex in Fantasyland, which is unheard of for a CP like myself.

No poo poo! That's drat rare!

I had a friend who managed it but she did it by doing a second cp in the same area while her pirates proficencies were still up. She was a mansionpirate cp.

Which complex are they training you at? I start my tours training in two weeks (no more call center for a few months thank god) I'll keep an eye out for you.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
According to my attendant roommate, yes, they meet during morning emh.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
To be fair, they usually tell their vacation planners (the ticket sellers) when they walk in and the prices are different on the registers.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Tomato Soup posted:

PS I'm going to be in Epcot the day before F&G officially starts then probably back there for the night next day when it opens then lots more after that so I can take photos and do some reviews of the food offerings if anybody is interested :)

Typically the day before official opening is the CM preview day where all the kiosks open up and we can get people in without using a main gate usage.

You should be able to preview all the kiosks. I need to make it out there more this year. Hopefully they'll pull me back for tours and I can get Disney to pay for all my food hah.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

demonR6 posted:

Do you moonlight as a tour guide Cais?

Full time for another month. Then it's back to the old role and picking up random guide shifts here or there.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

demonR6 posted:

Heard they jacked the hourly rate for guides up hoping to discourage using them but ppl are paying it still with a smile.

Runs from 360-500 an hour these days with a six hour minimum. They used to have a non-premium tour - you didn't get fastpasses and used the regular line. They were finding that no one was using that so they got rid of that one. They also used to have separate prices for resort guests versus non resort guests but now it's the same price for everyone.

The folks that spring for it though... Jeez. Must be nice to have that kind of money to burn.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Fejsze posted:

What all does one of those tours typically consist of? Was looking through tours for my upcoming trip and saw that one, with the same thought about money to burn, and wondered how it was worth it.

No real set itinerary, it's pretty much what you want.

We have a vehicle we can pick you up in or meet you at the park. We enter through backstage areas and have unlimited access to fastpass attractions (minus enchanted tales for some reason). Access to reserved viewing for most shows parades and nighttime spectaculars. When we park hop, we hop in the vehicle and drive backstage where we need to go. You can have up to ten people per guide: more than that means they add another guide. I've had a couple of families that shared a guide to split the costs.

Tours are six hours minimum but you can keep going as long as you want. Guides can either leave you in the park or drive you back where you came from. To put in perspective, I did a six hour tour during Presidents' Day weekend where they basically got in every ride in magic kingdom and then back for a few more repeat rides. Another one I met them at DAK, we did everest then vip viewing for fotlk then hopped to studios did Disney jr tower of terror and toy story then to MK for space speedway 7 dwarfs big thunder pirates magic carpets then vip viewing for the festival of fantasy parade.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I can report on the new fastpass viewing for Wishes since I was there Sunday.

Much better view overall! The old location was on the grass in the rose garden. There were no walkways so either you were standing or braving the possibly wet grass. Sure, you're right under where Tinker Bell flies but you lose some of the view being so close and off center. The fireworks look like they go off to the right of the castle.

The new area has walkways and grass and has a much nicer view of the castle and fireworks. It's right across from casey's corner and you're far enough back that the fireworks are behind the castle and none are blocked by it. They open the gates on the right hand side when they're over so you don't need to exit the way you came in.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

JoshTheStampede posted:

If there is anything I learned on my Disney trip its that you better like walking.

I hit 11.6 miles today. Sunday I walked a half marathon.

It is indeed a poo poo ton of walking. Today was three parks sunday was just DAK and MK. Parks were moderate today, Soarin had a 65 minute wait when we rode it.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
So they announced frozen 2, Avatarland is set to open in 2017 and Disney's Hollywood Studios is changing its name. Again.

The front runner rumor I've been hearing is Disney Hollywood Adventure which is um. Well.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Braksgirl posted:

Amateurs. I once sat on hold for 7 hours to convert a reservation to free dining. Do you know how many times I heard "Grim Grinning Ghosts", "it's a small world", "Beauty and the Bees", etc.? INFINITE TIMES, that's how many.

We're staying club level Poly for 2 nights in November and I'm going to try to use them to get myself a BOG reservation. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't.

Beauty and the bees and suitcase and a dream are the worst to get on hold when we have to call the DRC.

WE're probably gonna book a stay in November - just signed up for the wine and dine half today. Sold out in 35 minutes and we really don't want to have to worry about driving ourselves to and from the race.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Quixotic1 posted:

Thanks for the update, happy to hear that it actually worked. Now we just have to wait for that bypass and everything will be peachy.

Yeah it's pretty gnarly trying to cross Main Street during the exodus but once you're in the courtyards it's nice and open and moves quickly.

We started at the garden and got pushed to in front of the plaza ice cream shop by the time we made it across the street. The flood kept pushing us south.

They have been using the new much prettier bypass on the east side of Main Street now. It takes you from the plaza restrooms to the gate at Tony's (old mickey fastpass kiosk). Pretty quick and easy if you're on the Tomorrowland side.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah they don't really hire full timers. You start as part time and put your name on the waitlist for full time. Union roles so they dictate all of that. If you aren't picky you can get ft pretty quickly then transfer after six months. My roommate was on the list for character attendant for 2 years before he got it, but I started as full time concierge because they were hiring at the time.

I think most roles start around $9 since the latest contract.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Bottom Liner posted:

Hey, awesome thread. My wife is a pastry chef at Animal Kingdom and we live about 15 minutes from the parks on 27. Any other Disney locals? We go to the parks once or twice a week to do a few fast passes and eat or see a show.

I live on 27 as well! I used to live over on the more touristy side but it's not as obvious over here.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
We're right behind Hurricanes off woodcrest but I usually go jogging up towards Ashton Chase. Small world haha.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
So I'm going monday haha. I'll report back then.

My tour got evaced off of Winnie the Pooh today. I blame the Merge cm.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
It's in the main building on the left hand side next to captain cooks. Where the arcade used to be.

There's signage up now that shows where it is.

One of my friends is currently inside.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I like pizza planet and pizzafari. I mean it's not great pizza no but it's not bad for theme park pizza. I'll take it over the flatbreads - when we eat at Pinocchios village haus on tour I don't even bother ordering one any more, I go for the pesto bites.

I'll be glad to see flame tree back though. I think it, Sunshine Seasons in the land and Landscape of Flavors at the Art of animation are the best QS restaurants on property (having never successfully eaten at be our guest for lunch, mind you)

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

skipdogg posted:

It was always fun watching people come out of a ride and panic when they can't find the stroller they left improperly parked and a CM moved to the proper area.

I particularly loved moving ECVs, since they always flipped the gently caress out.

The worse you park it, the farther most people will move it. The one in the picture above would be moved to Jungle Cruise most likely. Or the river of America.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Tim Whatley posted:

Disney has some cool VIP packages for Star Wars Weekends. Oh by the way the most expensive one is $399 per person welp.

http://www.worldofwalt.com/forum/disney-announces-premium-packages-for-star-wars-weekends-t1273.html

I am prayyyying they train me for that one but I haven't heard anything yet.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Douchebag posted:

So, for my trip in June, we are going to have a marriage proposal during Wishes one night. I'm the trip planner, I will be making sure we have a FP+ that evening, but I'm curious about one thing. Would I be able to somehow talk a CM photographer into photographing it, and discretely blending into the crowd behind us to not give the impression something is up? The CM photographers always get great nighttime pictures and if its possible I would try to arrange it.

Does Disney offer this? Do I just ask the closest one I can find if they can do me a favor and slip them some $$?

I can probably handle it, but to have someone in the background getting shots of it taking place, the reactions, etc, would be priceless I think.

While you can't arrange something in advance with the photographers, there are a few things you can try.

If you visit the town square PhotoPass location, you can ask to speak to one of the managers to set something up. Based on staffing that day, they may be able to arrange something but you can't set it up in advance.

It's tougher at night because they are all on tri pods - somewhat harder to blend in with the crowd. You won't be able to slip them any cash - photopass aren't tipped roles and could get in trouble for accepting tips and most would actually be really excited to do so - night time is the time of the CPs, they're still excited about the job haha.

I believe weddings has the policy of not shooting engagement photos in the Magic Kingdom. Theyll shoot in the other parks but not MK for reasons.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Oh man I finally tried tonga toast the other day and christ it was amazing. Didn't know even touch the syrup it was sweet enough.

Scored cinco de mayo reservations at Ohana. We'll probably drink around epcot then grab a drink at trader sam's while we wait. I'm flying out to California next week so I'll probably check out the original while I'm there.

WhiteHowler posted:

Coronado Springs has an excellent food court area with some pretty good (if not particularly exotic) breakfast options.

I've never actually had breakfast reservations at Disney, but for this September we've booked a table at Kona Cafe. I'm looking forward to the Tonga Toast.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I was just at disneyland for a day last week and yeah, I just stayed at the comfort inn a block away. It was like 70 bucks and not bad for a place to crash. Even with the cast member discounts, it was like 200 bucks for the Disney hotels. It just wasn't worth it.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah, MagicBands are linked to the person and not the trip. The battery is supposed to last for two years but that's for long range reads I.e. Ride photos. Fastpass, park entry, etc are all short range and should work indefinitely.

Nice to see them finally announce Kong. Disney tends to announce things then spend years building. Universal likes to announce things three years after everyone already knows what they're building. Now they just have to announce the Ministry of Magic expansion and the Twister replacement.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Aww I was in Adlib back in the day! There's a good bunch of cast members there. The mansion itself is kind of snooze worthy to run and the super obsessed fans are kind of creepy but it's a close knit family over there. Plus MNSSHP at mansion is great.

Just remember friends don't let friends get jungle trained.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Pththya-lyi posted:

My boyfriend saw that Disney World commercial with the hotel concierge using her fairy powers to make a family's vacation ~*~MAGICAL~*~ and he laughed. "Do they really dress like that?" Honey, you have no idea. :allears:

E: I can't decide what kind of cast member uniform is most ridiculous. Is it the 18th-century garments they wear in Liberty Square, complete with mob caps for the women? The Epcot Germans' lederhosen? Those blue Fantasyland vests with the black stripe with red checkers? There's so many silly outfits!
I always enjoyed the ridiculousness of the pirate costume. I think the most ridiculous I ever wore was storybook circus.

The one I wear now is classy though.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

"Hey my roommate knows you. from some forum" a thing someone said to me today. it's a hella small world, Disney Goons.

Bahaha. To be fair, me knowing everyone at Disney world has become sort of a running joke among them.

Godspeed to everyone coming out for the 24 hour event. I got to the park about 10pm last year and closed it out but this year the family I'll be with has already said they want to do MK so I'll be there in the trenches.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Uziel posted:

Thanks all. I went ahead and ordered the memory maker based on your feedback.

I'm a bit confused. When I go to here: https://mydisneyphotopass.disney.go.com/mymedia
It says to select how I identified at the photo location, and Link Memory Maker is an option, but it says its already in use.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/ shows memory maker at the bottom.

I am correct in assuming that once I scan my MagicBand for the photographer, they'll just show up? Or did I need to do something else to my account?

And..one more thing I'm not sure of. Do I link my credit card to my Magic Band directly, or do the bands link to the hotel room and then I just pay the room balance at the end?

if you can see it in your reservations it's linked and you don't need to do anything. It won't be activated until you actually download your first photo (but you can view all you like).

If yall ever have any photopass questions I answer their phones when I'm not running around the parks so I'm happy to help.

Cais fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 2, 2015

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
The stage is there every year. It just used to be like twenty feet forward. It goes up for Star Wars and frozen summer fun and goes down until the company anniversary shindig and New Year's Eve.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
If anyone is in the world right now and hitting the last day of Star Wars weekend, I'd check out backlot express around 430. I don't think it's happening in the rebel hangar today.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
That should be alleviated quite a bit when the third track opens. Same with Soarin, but while I believe Soarin will be a third theater that can be utilized for standby based on operational need toy story won't be able to be as easily utilized for standby and might just be FastPass only. The wait times should plummet if that's the case.

And when they finally expand everything there.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I've basically never had any trouble adding an extra person to a reservation there. Ohana I'll usually book four and if five show up its never been a problem.

Speaking of which, my best friend tells me on Friday "oh by the way I just booked Ohana on Sunday at 1715 so see you there." She knows me so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Actually the universal one is closing so it'll be the only one in town. It'll be closing later this year, well before the Disney Springs one opens.