Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Is that sniper dot photo the only new one?

e: Found full res version:

With those hands up, and the look of defeat on his face, he obviously still wanted to live.

3 new photos, including the sniper dot one, rehosted here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/18/dzhokhar-tsarnaev-new-arrest-photos_n_3619835.html

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Media outlets that plastered the same loving kid's face all over TV for weeks are joining in on the shaming of Rolling Stone for their choice in magazine cover. This whole thing is irony at it's best/worst

This story pisses me off far more than it probably should

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Petey posted:

The police officer who released the photos has been relieved of duty.

Wow. If anyone actually gets to view the images, can you rehost on imgur or something? Sounds like hardly anybody is getting through.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I know people are making a big deal out of Rolling Stone getting pulled from shelves over this, but I think it must be reaching a lot of people specifically because of all this ~outrage~. I know I certainly wouldn't have read the (excellent) profile if it hadn't been for the uproar. It'll be interesting to hear numbers from them afterwards, and, of course, to see other media outlets continue to make a huge, shallow deal out of him while decrying Rolling Stone for actually going in-depth.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

hcreight posted:

Holy poo poo, the top comment on this article is actually... a good comment!

It really is, and I'll quote it for the people that can't get to that website being hammered to a pulp:

Aaron K Kraus posted:

If your objection is that the cover photo glamorizes Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and presents him as an enticing role model to young readers because of his looks then you’re rightly concerned about something that has nothing to do with Rolling Stone.

If your objection is that the cover photo humanizes Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and presents him as a multi-demensional -- even sympathetic -- figure, well you have just confronted one of humanity’s starkest truths: that we are all humans, endowed with a tremendous capacity for both evil and empathy. Again, your concern has nothing to do with Rolling Stone.

If your objection is that the cover photo of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev disrespects the victims of his alleged crimes because it focuses on the criminal rather than the crimes then you’re arguing for such a narrow view of journalism and journalistic priorities that the end product would probably do little to educate, enlighten, and engage readers.

If your objection is that Rolling Stone’s intention is to drive sales with sensational cover photos, well, yeah.

Then again, see the photos above, linked online, to drive traffic.
I think I'm going to cry, I saw a readable news comment on the internet.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Muscle Tracer posted:

I know people are making a big deal out of Rolling Stone getting pulled from shelves over this, but I think it must be reaching a lot of people specifically because of all this ~outrage~. I know I certainly wouldn't have read the (excellent) profile if it hadn't been for the uproar. It'll be interesting to hear numbers from them afterwards, and, of course, to see other media outlets continue to make a huge, shallow deal out of him while decrying Rolling Stone for actually going in-depth.

It's not like there isn't a rationale for refraining from in-depth coverage of terrorism bordering on the voyeuristic..

irrelephant
Feb 13, 2009
These are a couple of others, stolen from a news site in Australia.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
His sock puppet left hand looks really hosed up.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Cleaned up and centered version courtesy NPR. Looks like one of the most significant news photographs of 2013. I think it's also a really cool photo even without the context.

It's also a nice closeup of what I spent hours staying up too late listening to on live police scanners thanks to the forums! At one point I remember the stream had hundreds of thousands of unique live listeners at one point close to Tsarnaev's apprehension. Certainly few news events have had that kind of realtime coverage since that capability has become possible. Watching helicopter cameras pull back and police pushing back media cameras, as well as urging people not to 'tweet' tactical information, was pretty surreal.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 19, 2013

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

He looks like more of a rockstar here, standing upon his own volition after blowing his neck out, covered in blood with a laser on his forehead, than he did in a soft-focus shot of him looking like a normal person. Good one, I guess, stick it to him.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I want to go buy an Adidas sweatshirt now. Where is the boycott over that huh?

Also, is that last picture from irrelephant's post actually him. They have an ambu over him, which would mean he isn't breathing on his own. Is that his brother?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I think it's pretty hilarious that people are so overtly opposed to a terrorist being humanized. Everyone pays lipservice to the idea that "the most important thing is to learn why, so we can prevent this from happening again" but then the moment someone tries to loving do a thing that paints a picture that is less than black and white it's a shitstorm. gently caress people in general, I guess. Of course he did a horrible thing that is completely indefensible, but do we really need to give him the Fox news undereye photoshop shadow treatment in every bit of national coverage? I get that is a thing we do, I just didn't realize it was mandatory.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 19, 2013

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

MrQwerty posted:

He looks like more of a rockstar here, standing upon his own volition after blowing his neck out, covered in blood with a laser on his forehead, than he did in a soft-focus shot of him looking like a normal person. Good one, I guess, stick it to him.

It's unknown if he hurt his neck himself. Personally, I think the neck wound was cop-inflicted. I think he may have also been wounded by the flashbang grenades used. Bet those things hurt when they explode on top of you.

irrelephant
Feb 13, 2009

swickles posted:

Also, is that last picture from irrelephant's post actually him. They have an ambu over him, which would mean he isn't breathing on his own. Is that his brother?

Looks to me like the bum fluff on his chin matches up with the other photos.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I realize that the cops were probably telling him to lift his shirt to prove he didn't have a bomb strapped on him but this looks like the most ridiculous "I'm sexy" pose I've ever seen

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

It's unknown if he hurt his neck himself. Personally, I think the neck wound was cop-inflicted. I think he may have also been wounded by the flashbang grenades used. Bet those things hurt when they explode on top of you.

Either way, I believe my point is cogent.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Someone was joking that the one of him lifting his shirt looked like Birth of Venus, but this one reminds me of Death of Marat...

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

MrQwerty posted:

Either way, I believe my point is cogent.

Yeah I thought the photographer cop's rationale for releasing the photos was pretty nonsensical. It makes him look more dramatized, clearly increases the media attention. He probably just wanted a reason to release them.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I winder what effects this is going to have for the prosecution. Police officers releasing evidence out of outrage before a trial doesn't seem like it would bode well.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
This isn't evidence.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
It's not evidence but any competent attorney could see a way to work it into a trial if it were beneficial to their case.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I was under the impression that it was one cop who released the photos and that cop has since been relieved of duty - it's not like "the police" as an entity intentionally released them so I don't see how it would help the defense in any way.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
It wouldn't, since this isn't an episode of law and order. They're not going to get the pictures dismissed and then trap the prosecution into being unable to prove he was on the boat or something and the whole case gets thrown out.

Anyway, there are no charges or crimes allegedly committed while he was already in the boat, so even if it mattered they wouldn't be pertinent. All of the death penalty charges come from the bombing, the murder of a police officer, violent carjacking, and shootout.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

I was under the impression that it was one cop who released the photos and that cop has since been relieved of duty - it's not like "the police" as an entity intentionally released them so I don't see how it would help the defense in any way.

I never said that it was the actions of police as a collective. I've been more wondering if this might be beneficial to the defense as a reason for a change of venue.

You are right xie in that I shouldn't have described it as evidence, but it was still releasing photos in a breach of protocol.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frinkahedron posted:

Boston Magazine is running some photos taken by a Boston PD photographer in response to the rolling stone cover. I don't give a drat about why (I think the outrage is ridiculous), but they are good photos:

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2013/07/18/tsarnaev/

Yes that is a sniper's laser dot.

Seems like their website is getting slammed right now, refresh a few times if it doesn't come up.

Some one needs to shop in some DJ equipment. Honestly (minus the red dot) he looks like a lovely DJ at some dive club. lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Toffile posted:

I never said that it was the actions of police as a collective. I've been more wondering if this might be beneficial to the defense as a reason for a change of venue.

I don't see how these images could be said to have more of an effect on the trial than images of the bombing itself, which are everywhere, or the many other pictures from the case that are also everywhere. I mean these are well shot photos of a specific moment we haven't seen before, but they offer no new information whatsoever about the crime that Jahar is on trial for.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

I don't see how these images could be said to have more of an effect on the trial than images of the bombing itself, which are everywhere, or the many other pictures from the case that are also everywhere. I mean these are well shot photos of a specific moment we haven't seen before, but they offer no new information whatsoever about the crime that Jahar is on trial for.

I was discussing the current state of the jury pool, not so much if the pictures would taint it in the future.

Is it possible to get an impartial jury in a venue where police officers have taken it upon themselves to circumvent procedure because of public outrage? I think that bit is new information, or maybe I missed a prior case of misconduct.

I know that McVeigh ended up being tried in Denver, not Oklahoma. And as far as I know, Tsarnaev was going to be tried in Boston.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toffile posted:

I was discussing the current state of the jury pool, not so much if the pictures would taint it in the future.

Is it possible to get an impartial jury in a venue where police officers have taken it upon themselves to circumvent procedure because of public outrage? I think that bit is new information, or maybe I missed a prior case of misconduct.

I know that McVeigh ended up being tried in Denver, not Oklahoma. And as far as I know, Tsarnaev was going to be tried in Boston.

Last I checked there was no rulings on venue yet by the Court...or filings to the best of my knowledge for a change.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Neutrino posted:

People were outraged when the Roman Stone magazine published a front page picture of Nero on the cover of the June 64 issue after he set fire to Rome. They thought they could change things in future issues by banning pictures of Nero but We Forgot.

I'm so unlearned. Reading your post I just got the meaning of the name of a program lots of us used 10 years ago "Nero burning rom".

RS cover needs more flags, crying eagles, Hulk Hogan and Dale Sr. (RIP) (Those 2 have surely been to Boston before)

my darling feet
May 9, 2007
are truly captivating
Happier photos - I don't know if anyone goes to the Reverse sand sculpting festivals, but the theme was "Boston Strong."

Who should be in there but ...

I work with his wife, and she sent me this photo when I sent her the first one.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

my darling feet posted:

Happier photos - I don't know if anyone goes to the Reverse sand sculpting festivals, but the theme was "Boston Strong."

Who should be in there but ...

I work with his wife, and she sent me this photo when I sent her the first one.

It bears saying again that that guy has pretty much more reason than anyone else to just give up on humanity and embrace the seething and wrathful hatred of mankind that has drat good reason to be formed by what he's gone through, but for some reason he's not only refusing to despair but being a genuine hero to boot. :unsmith:

my darling feet
May 9, 2007
are truly captivating
I agree. He's a warm person irl, and he loves that this brings attention to his sons and the causes both he and his wife support. I have heard stories of the darker days after he lost his boys, and I can't blame him.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Toffile posted:

Is it possible to get an impartial jury in a venue where police officers have taken it upon themselves to circumvent procedure because of public outrage?

How do the actions of one police photographer reflect on the impartiality of any members of the jury, or have anything to do with the "venue"? I mean the photos were leaked by literally one person, its a pretty huge stretch to say that reflects the mentality of the entire city of Boston.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 23, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Edit: Oh, to be able to delete my stupidity more effectively...

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Not sure if there have been any other cases yet, but some woman in my area just got arrested for scamming almost $500,000 out of the One Fund Boston (which she promptly used to try and buy a house). She also got arrested a few years ago for leaving her kids in the car while she went to shoplift from a Macy's so, yeah, she probably guilty. She's fighting extradition back to Massachusetts, but aren't those requests pretty much rubber stamped most of the time?

edit: I forgot, the shoplifting thing took place on fuckin' Christmas Eve. Classic.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 23, 2013

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

haljordan posted:

Not sure if there have been any other cases yet, but some woman in my area just got arrested for scamming almost $500,000 out of the One Fund Boston (which she promptly used to try and buy a house). She also got arrested a few years ago for leaving her kids in the car while she went to shoplift from a Macy's so, yeah, she probably guilty. She's fighting extradition back to Massachusetts, but aren't those requests pretty much rubber stamped most of the time?

edit: I forgot, the shoplifting thing took place on fuckin' Christmas Eve. Classic.

There's been another, a guy here in Massachusetts put in a claim for a relative who'd died a few years ago.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
The New York Times Magazine has a good piece on the effect that the rampant internet detectivery during the Boston bombing manhunt had on Sunil Tripathi's grieving family.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/28/magazine/should-reddit-be-blamed-for-the-spreading-of-a-smear.html?ref=magazine&_r=1&pagewanted=all&

quote:

At 5 p.m. on April 18, three days after the bombs went off at the marathon finish line, the F.B.I. released grainy photographs of two suspects. For the past month, the Tripathis had been renting a house and spending their days working with F.B.I. agents, Brown administrators and an organization dedicated to finding missing persons. Early on in the search, the family created a Facebook page called “Help Us Find Sunil Tripathi,” which included video messages from family and friends and recent images of Sunil — walking the beach with his older brother, Ravi; attending his sister’s graduation ceremony; posing with his mother at a Phillies game.

Minutes after the world first saw the suspects’ photos, a user on Reddit, the online community that is also one of the largest Web sites in the world, posted side-by-side pictures comparing Sunil’s facial features with the face that would later be identified as Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. The pictures were accompanied by speculation about the circumstances surrounding Sunil’s disappearance and the F.B.I.’s involvement in his search. By 8 p.m., three hours after the F.B.I. released the suspects’ photos, angry messages began to appear on the Tripathi’s Facebook page, and at 8:15 Ravi received a phone call from a reporter at ABC News in New York, who asked if Sunil had been spotted in Boston and if Ravi had seen the F.B.I. photos of Suspect No. 2. Ravi, unclear at what she was getting at, told her there had been no word from Sunil. As the minutes passed and the volume of threatening Facebook messages increased, the Tripathis finally called their F.B.I. contact in Providence, who assured them that nobody within his office believed that Sunil was Suspect No. 2.

The family had been told that missing people sometimes go to libraries or other places with free Internet service, where they type their own names into search engines to track their cases. The Facebook page was created with the hope that if Sunil searched for himself, he would find loving messages from his family and friends. Now they worried that he would see what was being written about him and take drastic measures to harm himself. Around 11 p.m., at roughly the same time that the news came out that Sean Collier, a 27-year-old police officer at M.I.T., had been shot and killed, the Tripathis closed the page so that no more messages could come in.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
Man, I feel like such a dick for falling for that and believing it was Sunil's name on the radio. :smith: Didn't they find his body in a river or something a few weeks ago or is that another lie I'm falling for?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Peruser posted:

Didn't they find his body in a river or something a few weeks ago or is that another lie I'm falling for?

it was actually 8 days after the bombings (the 23rd of April)

Also, Monday was Dzhokhar's 20th birthday. Glad he spent it in a cage.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kilonum posted:

it was actually 8 days after the bombings (the 23rd of April)

Also, Monday was Dzhokhar's 20th birthday. Glad he spent it in a cage.

Please tell me they could prove he was dead before the bombing. Sunil's face looked radically different (his nose was waaaaay too big for starters) from Dzokhar's even in the first grainy photos but enough people bought it and I could definitely see him offing himself if everyone hated him under the belief he was a terrorist.

• Locked thread