Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

Thanks for the advice! Not necessarily needing a fourth lili is nice though I do want a play set anyway just cause. Bob and funeral charm were both cards I was on the fence about. Funeral charm is nice and versatile and losing to the perfect top deck after a lock is obviously lovely. Will definitely try it. Bob being a draw engine by himself (like I need to explain why he's good) was just too tempting and even if he draws removal that's at least an inefficient discard spell; however I really am probably better off dropping him especially since I want to play some poxes. Mind posting the most recent list you played? So many options for the deck and it's tough to figure out the correct balance.

Edit: have you or anyone tried out Waste Not? I can't decide if it's too cute or a serious upgrade to the deck.

quote:

10 Snow-Covered Swamp
4 Ghost Quarter
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Verdant Catacombs
2 Dakmor Salvage

4 The Rack
4 Shrieking Affliction
4 Ensnaring Bridge

3 Liliana of the Veil
3 Thoughtseize
3 Wrench Mind
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Funeral Charm
2 Raven's Crime

4 Victim of Night
2 Abrupt Decay

=SB=
4 Leyline of Sanctity
3 Grafdigger's Cage
4 Nature's Claim
4 Welding Jar
With 21 land, you can't really run that many cards that cost more than 2 (there's only 7 three-drops in the deck, and all your extra land is just going to Raven's Crime anyway so you can't really get a bunch of mana lying around.

Sideboard: Leyline vs. Jund, opposing 8rack, burn. Cage vs. pod and reanimator tricks and the odd Panglacial Wurm ramp deck. Nature's Claim vs affinity and anyone you suspect might bring in Leyline. Welding jar vs anyone with green or red mana available to deal with your Ensnaring Bridges.

Some people like to sneak a miser's Worm's Feast in there, but at 5 mana I've always found it a liability, even if it gives you another out. Life from the Loam seems good, but only if you get to the point where you have a Raven's Crime and three lands in your graveyard and 1GBBB available.

Notable tricks: The Rack deals damage, not life loss, and will eat opposing Planeswalkers alive to the tune of -3 to -6 per turn.

As stated, Funeral Charm can get them during their draw step. For a while I tried to live in fairytale christmas land of Necrogen Spellbomb and Academy Ruins, but that was too cute by half. I think Waste Not is effectively a shittier Megrim - on turn two, you need to have their hand utterly destroyed, not play a do-nothing card, and if you wait to play it, you aren't going to get much value out of it as their hand is stripped.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

Edit: have you or anyone tried out Waste Not? I can't decide if it's too cute or a serious upgrade to the deck.

A local guy plays 8rack here and we've talked about it but I don't know if you really want any of the effects aside from the last one. And that one could mess up your E. Bridge (probably not too much).

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

There is an MTGO streamer named Pomegrant playing a pretty spicy list right now. It's probably not "good" but there is some promise and some pretty insane Goblin Welder plays. Here is his current list:

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Main
1 Arid Mesa
1 Mountain
4 Bloodstained Mire
2 Polluted Delta
2 Badlands
1 Bayou
1 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3 Vault of Whispers
2 Great Furnace
4 Lotus Petal
4 Sensei's Divining Top
2 Tangle Wire
4 Faithless Looting
4 Reanimate
4 Thoughtseize
4 Entomb
3 Exhume
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Goblin Welder
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
1 Sundering Titan
1 Inkwell Leviathan
1 Iona, Shield of Emeria

//Sideboard
3 Stronghold Gambit (!!!!!!!!!!)
3 Abrupt Decay
3 Tormod's Crypt
1 Duplicant
1 Batterskull
1 Trinisphere
1 Ratchet Bomb
1 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Pithing Needle

Display deck statistics

Off the top of my head: Batterskull is probably not right, since I don't think you'll have that much mana for bouncing and replaying it. If you're going to be welding it in and out (or if you need to reanimate something) Wurmcoil seems better. Might want more Tanglewires. No Griselbrands also seems loose. It is playing non-artifacts in Elesh and Iona since they are just that good, and Griselbrand is the nuts.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Playing UW control for Modern is really interesting and really thought-intensive. Beat Gifts control, lost to RG Tron, beat Storm, barely beat Jund in game 3, so 3-1 overall.
Jund was a weird situation. And kinda funny, and ridiculously frustrating for my opponent. We reached topdeck mode, and I've managed to deal with his liliana's so far, as well as creatures, and raging ravines, and I'm sitting at 1. He desperately needs to topdeck anything for the game to be over. He reveals inquisition with bob, draws a chandra. He plays a land, says "top deck mode?", I shrug, holding one card in hand. He casts chandra, I throw down mana leak, but he's looking at his mana and says, wait, so I scoop my mana leak back up, "I can't cast that, fetch with Marsh Flats". He then casts it off his second red source, blood crypt, I mana leak. Opponent nearly punches self in face, as he could have cast inquisition, and then could have pinged me for one and won. I top decked a cryptic command, counter into serum visions, serum visions draws baneslayer, I start gaining life, he deals with baneslayer via liliana, I topdeck colonnade to kill liliana, win.
Long freaking game, almost went to time. Very interesting matches though, and I'd really recommend trying UW control, if you have the cards. Don't play Beleren though, it's a trap.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Stronghold gambit is great. Been in my sb of mono red sneak for a while and it always does work.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
My stores meta for modern is blue. Twin scape shift uwr control faeries. I am tired of cryptic command and have been thinking of building monoblack infect control. It looks fun and aside from Liliana it isn't to expensive.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

jassi007 posted:

My stores meta for modern is blue. Twin scape shift uwr control faeries. I am tired of cryptic command and have been thinking of building monoblack infect control. It looks fun and aside from Liliana it isn't to expensive.

Splash green for Choke and good pump spells.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

ScarletBrother posted:

The lists I've been looking at re hand disruption and removal control with phyrexian crusader and blight dragon for finishers with and equipment or two. I think in a heavy control meta it will do well

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

ScarletBrother posted:

If you're going to splash green you might as well run The Rock.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
If you splash green or red, Guttural Response is always an amusing thing to side in.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Pomegrant's deck could stand to have a Kuldotha Forgemaster in it.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
7-3 at gpminn.

gently caress 8rack

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm surprised it got that far, its not really a deck I'd consider top tier.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Stinky Pit posted:

I'm surprised it got that far, its not really a deck I'd consider top tier.

I've been thinking about modern a good bit, I think mono-black has some legs in a format with so much combo and control. I'm not sure 8-rack is my go to version, but I'm going to do some testing of a black control deck with infect dudes finisher that basically just gives the finger to combo and control.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

Shavnir posted:

7-3 at gpminn.

gently caress 8rack

gently caress tron too

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

I ended up 11-4 at GP Minneapolis with Pod which I've been playing exclusively although infrequently since I got into modern 1.5 years ago. Won occasionally due to luck, lost occasionally due to luck, the rest was pretty fun. Sitting down to play David Ochoa when he was signing autographs for some people was a bit intimidating but I don't think he's that familiar with pod since he was on it too but made some mistakes imo.

I hope they have more modern GPs next year, as there don't seem to be many chances to go to a modern GP this year. Plane flight cost to go to Richmond was insane and Boston is way too close to my wedding/honeymoon to consider. Limited GPs seem to get a lot fewer people but they still have 9082309423842 of them. Blah.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

You did better than me. I finished 142nd, another drat day two with no paycheck

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I'm going to my first LGS Modern game tonight. I don't know if it's a tournament or a casual free play but I'm going with this: http://deckstats.net/deck-4115323-f09b6fc54a31cc77fe152a06c622f454.html

It's mostly a budget deck because I'm not going to be able to afford Thoughtseize, Phyrexian Obliterator, or even Inquisition of Kozilek. Any suggestions or tips would be nice but I'm not sure how useful they'll be since I don't know the store's metagame.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Vendilion Clique so OP, look at this list that just took 5th place

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Tharizdun posted:

Vendilion Clique so OP, look at this list that just took 5th place
That list looks a bit weak, why isn't he running the full set of clique?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Oraculum Animi posted:

I'm going to my first LGS Modern game tonight. I don't know if it's a tournament or a casual free play but I'm going with this: http://deckstats.net/deck-4115323-f09b6fc54a31cc77fe152a06c622f454.html

It's mostly a budget deck because I'm not going to be able to afford Thoughtseize, Phyrexian Obliterator, or even Inquisition of Kozilek. Any suggestions or tips would be nice but I'm not sure how useful they'll be since I don't know the store's metagame.

Gatekeeper of Malakir works well in the all swamp deck. Duathi Slayer is a cheaper option for Inkfathom (no clue why those are so much). Geralf's Messenger is a modern mono black staple and should be 2-3 bucks. Korlash is good in the mono swamp deck but I think he is 5+ bucks. Phyrexian Crusader is really hard to remove.

Sep 13, 2007

Bugsy posted:

Gatekeeper of Malakir works well in the all swamp deck. Duathi Slayer is a cheaper option for Inkfathom (no clue why those are so much). Geralf's Messenger is a modern mono black staple and should be 2-3 bucks. Korlash is good in the mono swamp deck but I think he is 5+ bucks. Phyrexian Crusader is really hard to remove.

I have the Inkfathoms. Everything in the deck is something I own. I also have the Korlash but I took them out for Mirri because I wanted some speed. I'll look into the Geralfs and Gatekeepers. I want to try and keep my 3 and 4 drops low and I like Nighthawk because it can act as protection, help me keep my life up after using my own spells, and can avoid a lot of combat. I can probably drop Thrill-Kill and Sootstoke for things. I'll definitely have a better idea on what I need to do after tonight's game.

Hell, with all the Vampires in the deck and the addition of Gatekeepers I could probably try and find some Blade of the Bloodchief and use Feast of Blood (except that's Sorcery and might be too slow).

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 12, 2014

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Oraculum Animi posted:

I have the Inkfathoms. Everything in the deck is something I own. I also have the Korlash but I took them out for Mirri because I wanted some speed. I'll look into the Geralfs and Gatekeepers. I want to try and keep my 3 and 4 drops low and I like Nighthawk because it can act as protection, help me keep my life up after using my own spells, and can avoid a lot of combat. I can probably drop Thrill-Kill and Sootstoke for things. I'll definitely have a better idea on what I need to do after tonight's game.

OK, I wasn't sure if you had the inkfathoms or not. The other thing I would suggest is Doom Blade or Victim of Night over Go For the Throat as affinity is the real deal, and they hit wurmcoils as well.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I need a good modern affinity sideboard. My local meta is a handful of UWr, two pod, two twin, a hatebears and a walk the aeons (blue endless turn howling mine deck).

What should I throw in there? Torpor orb is a given.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
What are you playing

Edit: doh!

Try combust

Spellskite, relic of progenitus

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 12, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Molybdenum posted:

What are you playing

Edit: doh!

Try combust

A reactionary card against a control deck is like, a really bad idea for the aggro deck. They're not swinging at you with colonnades until you've lost so like, why are you trying to fight that battle?

Thoughtseize, Spellskite, Spell Pierce, more copies of Etched Champion, and maybe Welding Jar are pretty cute and don't end up as dead cards until your opponent's trying to kill you.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Oraculum Animi posted:

Hell, with all the Vampires in the deck and the addition of Gatekeepers I could probably try and find some Blade of the Bloodchief and use Feast of Blood (except that's Sorcery and might be too slow).

I think you should drop some cash on a playset of Thoughtseize at least, because this is probably the lowest they'll get (especially if you're not anal about card quality), not getting Inquisition is reasonable, and using Duress seems to be fine in its spot. Another good monoblack control deck is with an infect kill, using Phyrexian Crusader and Vatmother (or Skithiryx if you wanna drop cash on that) and an rear end-ton of removal and discard. Raven's Crime is also another good discard spell, and there are a handful of edicts in modern too, although I think Geth's Verdict is the only instant speed one.

Sep 13, 2007

neetengie posted:

I think you should drop some cash on a playset of Thoughtseize at least, because this is probably the lowest they'll get (especially if you're not anal about card quality), not getting Inquisition is reasonable, and using Duress seems to be fine in its spot. Another good monoblack control deck is with an infect kill, using Phyrexian Crusader and Vatmother (or Skithiryx if you wanna drop cash on that) and an rear end-ton of removal and discard. Raven's Crime is also another good discard spell, and there are a handful of edicts in modern too, although I think Geth's Verdict is the only instant speed one.

I know Thoughtseize would be a great investment but it's not something I card afford. Even Kozilek is out of my range. If I went the Infect route Skithiryth would be more affordable. Unfortunately the store I thought I'd be able to play at stopped having tournaments so I'm going to have to wait until their new store in another location opens up Modern/Commander games. I appreciate all the input I've been given, it's just that budget limits what I can get and how quickly I can get it.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Oraculum Animi posted:

I know Thoughtseize would be a great investment but it's not something I card afford. Even Kozilek is out of my range. If I went the Infect route Skithiryth would be more affordable. Unfortunately the store I thought I'd be able to play at stopped having tournaments so I'm going to have to wait until their new store in another location opens up Modern/Commander games. I appreciate all the input I've been given, it's just that budget limits what I can get and how quickly I can get it.
If you can buy Skithiryx then you can get Inquisition at the very least, I looked up the prices on TCGPlayer and they're pretty close for an average price. Crusader and Vatmother are pretty drat cheap too, do you have any worthwhile trades in Standard stuff or EDH stuff? Understandable on not being able to get Thoughtseize though.

Sep 13, 2007

neetengie posted:

If you can buy Skithiryx then you can get Inquisition at the very least, I looked up the prices on TCGPlayer and they're pretty close for an average price. Crusader and Vatmother are pretty drat cheap too, do you have any worthwhile trades in Standard stuff or EDH stuff? Understandable on not being able to get Thoughtseize though.

I already have the Crusaders. My trade binder is pretty small, my overall card pool isn't much. I also noticed a lot of Mono-B Infect uses Inkmoth Nexus. I would almost be building a completely new deck if I wanted to do Infect, would you have any suggestions (besides don't play it) for an aggro deck?

This is the Infect deck I'm looking at: http://puremtgo.com/articles/becoming-modern-man-mono-black-infect

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Oraculum Animi posted:

I already have the Crusaders. My trade binder is pretty small, my overall card pool isn't much. I also noticed a lot of Mono-B Infect uses Inkmoth Nexus. I would almost be building a completely new deck if I wanted to do Infect, would you have any suggestions (besides don't play it) for an aggro deck?

This is the Infect deck I'm looking at: http://puremtgo.com/articles/becoming-modern-man-mono-black-infect

You would just be switching out how you kill people really :shrug:, along with adding more kill effects and discard. Infect in Modern, as far as I know, is more Blue/Green than black, and it'd be completely different. If your meta is new to Modern, then I think it'd be fine to try a Black Green infect deck, iirc most of the infect cards aren't used much in Modern and are pretty cheap. But otherwise it'd be fine to play your vampire MBC deck, and if you get a lot of wins and such you can trade for those Inkmoth's and Thoughtseizes.

Sep 13, 2007

neetengie posted:

You would just be switching out how you kill people really :shrug:, along with adding more kill effects and discard. Infect in Modern, as far as I know, is more Blue/Green than black, and it'd be completely different. If your meta is new to Modern, then I think it'd be fine to try a Black Green infect deck, iirc most of the infect cards aren't used much in Modern and are pretty cheap. But otherwise it'd be fine to play your vampire MBC deck, and if you get a lot of wins and such you can trade for those Inkmoth's and Thoughtseizes.

I'll see how my meta is before I figure if I need to go a different route. I appreciate the help, I just don't like shooting down ideas because "money".

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Shavnir posted:

7-3 at gpminn.

gently caress 8rack
I enjoy it, but I like making people suffer. I don't care if it isn't top tier. It does well for me in the 2-man queues on MTGO. I like making people discard. Here is a shot from two minutes ago, that is still on my screen.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Filthy Monkey posted:

I enjoy it, but I like making people suffer. I don't care if it isn't top tier. It does well for me in the 2-man queues on MTGO. I like making people discard. Here is a shot from two minutes ago, that is still on my screen.

Nice Grafdigger's Cage.

(It does nothing against Living End)

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, forgot about that. Shows I don't play modern enough. I mostly play legacy and draft.

Sep 13, 2007
One question I can deal with currently: should I drop 2 Despise to go up to 4 Duress? And can I use pre-Modern copies of card printed in Modern? I have a 7th edition Duress.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Oraculum Animi posted:

One question I can deal with currently: should I drop 2 Despise to go up to 4 Duress? And can I use pre-Modern copies of card printed in Modern? I have a 7th edition Duress.

Idunnolol because you haven't surveyed the metagame yet (if I read that post correctly), and yes, as long as the card is in Modern and is legal, you can use it's old printings.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just got beat down to -10 on turn 3 of a modern game. He had garruk and primeval titan on turn 2, and attacked me for monster damage on turn 3 with kessig wolf run buff. I had spaghetti monster ready to come in on my turn 3 too, but it didn't last that long.

Irritating people with instant reanimator is kind of fun. It can be spotty, but it can also come up with hands that are really hard to beat. Have a good record with it in the two-mans so far. Wost matchups are the control decks, but it gets a lot better postboard when I can put in boseiju.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Filthy Monkey posted:

Just got beat down to -10 on turn 3 of a modern game. He had garruk and primeval titan on turn 2, and attacked me for monster damage on turn 3 with kessig wolf run buff. I had spaghetti monster ready to come in on my turn 3 too, but it didn't last that long.

Irritating people with instant reanimator is kind of fun. It can be spotty, but it can also come up with hands that are really hard to beat. Have a good record with it in the two-mans so far. Wost matchups are the control decks, but it gets a lot better postboard when I can put in boseiju.

This is like one of those old Duelist puzzles. I can't come up with any three-turn set of game actions that could have resulted in that state.

T1: Forest, Utopia Sprawl
T2: Nykthos, Burning Tree, Activate Nykthos for 3, which isn't enough to cast Garruk or anything else that's on the board.

If he'd cast both Burning Trees on T2 he could get there, but the game shows that Burning Tree #2 was cast on turn 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I thought I had it but I can't figure it out either.

• Locked thread