Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

This is like one of those old Duelist puzzles. I can't come up with any three-turn set of game actions that could have resulted in that state.

T1: Forest, Utopia Sprawl
T2: Nykthos, Burning Tree, Activate Nykthos for 3, which isn't enough to cast Garruk or anything else that's on the board.

If he'd cast both Burning Trees on T2 he could get there, but the game shows that Burning Tree #2 was cast on turn 3.

T1: Forest, Birds
T2: Birds -> Sprawl, Forest + Sprawl -> BTE, Nykthos for 4, Garruk, untap lands and faceroll spells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

This is like one of those old Duelist puzzles. I can't come up with any three-turn set of game actions that could have resulted in that state.

T1: Forest, Utopia Sprawl
T2: Nykthos, Burning Tree, Activate Nykthos for 3, which isn't enough to cast Garruk or anything else that's on the board.

If he'd cast both Burning Trees on T2 he could get there, but the game shows that Burning Tree #2 was cast on turn 3.

Garruk is on 5, so that means he had to be cast on t2. Primetime doesn't say haste and he swung, so that means he also had to have been cast on t2 right?

lord of saturn is right, that would let him untap nykthos and the utopia sprawl forest, retap nykthos with 6 on the board, casting primetime on 2. thats loving crazy.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 14, 2014

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

T1 birds
T2 nykthos, sprawl, bte, activate nykthos for 4
Garruk, untap forest and nykthos. Activate nykthos for 6. Primetime.

E:fb

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

jassi007 posted:

Garruk is on 5, so that means he had to be cast on t2. Primetime doesn't say haste and he swung, so that means he also had to have been cast on t2 right?

lord of saturn is right, that would let him untap nykthos and the utopia sprawl forest, retap nykthos with 6 on the board, casting primetime on 2. thats loving crazy.

Nice to see someone making it work. I've gotten double BTE, Nykthos, Garruk, Primetime a few times on turn 2 before. Pretty much it was the exact same game state seen here except no Bird. I've hard cast Emrakul turn 2 while goldfishing on my living room couch, but that's magical Christmas land, draw the perfect 9 cards stuff. After another train wreck of a modern Monday I'm probably giving up and trying Amulet combo, because I refuse to play a "real" deck in this format. I'm so tired of getting screwed by this deck giving me draws that are statistically impossible.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

suicidesteve posted:

Nice to see someone making it work. I've gotten double BTE, Nykthos, Garruk, Primetime a few times on turn 2 before. Pretty much it was the exact same game state seen here except no Bird. I've hard cast Emrakul turn 2 while goldfishing on my living room couch, but that's magical Christmas land, draw the perfect 9 cards stuff. After another train wreck of a modern Monday I'm probably giving up and trying Amulet combo, because I refuse to play a "real" deck in this format. I'm so tired of getting screwed by this deck giving me draws that are statistically impossible.

Don't feel bad buddy. My local store meta is apparently all combo and control. Affinity is not great in this environment, so next modern FNM i'm bringing mono-u tron. The funniest cheap modern deck I can think of. I really like blue tron but it sucks against agro funny enough, but it does mean mean things to combo/control.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Yeah, the lack of early game disruption really hurts Tron when it is matched up against aggro or fast combo decks. Still, Mono-U is better than RG in that regard since most aggro decks have zero answers to a resolved Platinum Angel with probable countermagic backing it up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Konstantin posted:

Yeah, the lack of early game disruption really hurts Tron when it is matched up against aggro or fast combo decks. Still, Mono-U is better than RG in that regard since most aggro decks have zero answers to a resolved Platinum Angel with probable countermagic backing it up.

This happened to me last night playing GR tron in the top 4 of a LGS modern tourney vs a guy I had 2-0'd in the swiss. Sigh. There is nothing more annoying then losing to a Aven Mindcensor that he resolved the turn before I draw a sundering titan that would've wiped all his lands.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

mcmagic posted:

This happened to me last night playing GR tron in the top 4 of a LGS modern tourney vs a guy I had 2-0'd in the swiss. Sigh. There is nothing more annoying then losing to a Aven Mindcensor that he resolved the turn before I draw a sundering titan that would've wiped all his lands.

What does Mindcensor do to Sundering Titan?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

What a Judas posted:

Probably just had the mana to cast trinket mage and cast sundering on the same turn

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

What a Judas posted:

Kills you before you can play it and win the game lol.

My turn:
I'm at 3 with a sundering titan in my hand. He has a Goyf, Clique and Nacatal out. I draw a Firespout off a cracked Relic of Progen but have to tap Karpulsan Forest for R/G to wipe his board with it and he flashes in the mindcensor at the end of my turn and kills me. I guess i paid the price for not having grove of the burnwillows there too...

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GR tron runs sundering titan?

What happened to 3x wurmcoil 4x karn 1x emrakul setup everyone was running

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mortimer posted:

I have those too. I board a singleton Titan cause it's a blowout against zoo and scapeshift.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

mcmagic posted:

Kills you before you can play it and win the game lol.

My turn:
I'm at 3 with a sundering titan in my hand. He has a Goyf, Clique and Nacatal out. I draw a Firespout off a cracked Relic of Progen but have to tap Karpulsan Forest for R/G to wipe his board with it and he flashes in the mindcensor at the end of my turn and kills me. I guess i paid the price for not having grove of the burnwillows there too...

The way you wrote the other post it seemed like he played the Aven a turn before you could play the Titan and I was confused why it mattered. Makes sense now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

jassi007 posted:

Don't feel bad buddy. My local store meta is apparently all combo and control. Affinity is not great in this environment, so next modern FNM i'm bringing mono-u tron. The funniest cheap modern deck I can think of. I really like blue tron but it sucks against agro funny enough, but it does mean mean things to combo/control.

Don't even get me started on Tron.

Modern in general is pretty much all combo and control, which half the time throws Resto and Kiki-Jiki in anyway because. There's robots, which still has a combo feel to it, and zoo which is just not good. That's why I (usually) love playing this deck; at best, people have no idea what's going on and are intrigued, and at worst it's borderline condescension at that cute ramp deck. But at least it's original, you know? I just need to put some work into it. And I need Wizards to reprint Wild Growth for modern.

But seriously, 3 games of literally nothing but land draws off of an otherwise decent starting hand, and 2 more of mulling to 4 and playing through the entire game (all but one of the flood games were against Tron too, so it's not like they were over in 3 turns.) without a single green mana source really seems like it should be pretty much impossible.

Edit: not actually impossible, obviously. Just statistically impossible, especially for only having played 9 games.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 14, 2014

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Mortimer posted:

Some builds run it these days. My build is mostly mono green and runs 2 spellskites, 1 Sundering main along with the usual suspects. Better game 1 against twin/control, it works pretty well in my meta.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

Edit: not actually impossible, obviously. Just statistically impossible, especially for only having played 9 games.
This is literally not how statistics work.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Wadjamaloo posted:

This is literally not how statistics work.

Ok, what are the odds that those things happen in 9 games in a 60 card, 20 land deck where 15 lands are green or effectively green? Assuming sufficient randomization, which I question, but I shuffle for a good minute or 2 every time. Let's say those games lasted 10 turns, which is probably a good average, and with me being on the play for 3 of them. I bet it's astronomically low.

That'll teach me to edit around someone posting "but that's not what impossible means!"

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Over the course of a tournament, a million different things happen which have terribly low odds of occuring. That's kinda how a deck works. The chances of drawing any one hand is astronomically low, but in the end you do draw one of those hands.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

Ok, what are the odds that those things happen in 9 games in a 60 card, 20 land deck where 15 lands are green or effectively green? Assuming sufficient randomization, which I question, but I shuffle for a good minute or 2 every time. Let's say those games lasted 10 turns, which is probably a good average, and with me being on the play for 3 of them. I bet it's astronomically low.

That'll teach me to edit around someone posting "but that's not what impossible means!"
The chances of that happening are probably pretty low, but its also not impossible that it would happen to you in every single game you play for the rest of your life.

The funny thing is that the part you crossed you out was correct.

quote:

seems like it should be pretty much impossible.
It probably is pretty much impossible, but its definitely statistically possible.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I've been playing around with a Modern Goblins deck. It's pretty fun; obviously not super powerful or competitive, but it has some pretty good match ups. Also: it's just fun.

Deck: Modern Gobbos

//Main
19 Mountain
4 Goblin Grenade
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Guide
4 Legion Loyalist
3 Dragon Fodder
3 Krenko's Command
3 Mogg War Marshal
4 Goblin Chieftain
3 Goblin King
1 Hellrider

//Sideboard
2 Tormod's Crypt
3 Shattering Spree
1 Dragon's Claw
1 Blood Moon
2 Zo-Zu the Punisher
3 Leyline of Punishment
2 Hellrider
1 Krenko, Mob Boss

Display deck statistics

Turn one Foundry Street Denizen into Turn 2 Goblin Guide and Legion Loyalist is pretty much wonderful. Follow it up with a Goblin Chieftain and it's hard to lose. Worst match up I've found for the deck is that Knights tribal deck you see frequently on MODO, which is basically an auto-lose because 2 mana 2/2 first strikers with pro red just beat goblins, period. On the other hand, the deck can just bash it's face into an awful lot of other decks and come back from nothing. Had some really great wins against Affinity, Tron, Ad Naseum, and Jund.

I think I need to stick slightly more land in, probably some Cavern of Souls to help it against America / UR Young Pyromancer, because I desperately want more Hellriders landing. Hellrider landing with any Goblins on board basically wins the game immediately. Probably cut some of the two-mana-get-two-goblins. Also need to really mess with that sideboard. Probably should just replace Krenko with something more interesting, since I think he's just unplayable with my current mana base.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That deck really does look fun! Out of curiosity, have you considered Warren Instigator, not to put goblins into play for free, but as a dude who gets double the benefit from your lords? I guess that's probably just worse than Dragon Fodder actually since it's better to sac a Dragon Fodder token to Goblin Grenade, but that was my first thought.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Warren Instigator would be great if there were some better larger Goblins to trick in in Modern, or some Goblin Recruiter type dudes.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Zorak posted:

Warren Instigator would be great if there were some better larger Goblins to trick in in Modern, or some Goblin Recruiter type dudes.

You act like Siege-Gang Commander wasn't reprinted. There's also the nice bit about cheating in a lord on the first strike step making your slower goblins tougher.

I love goblins as a deck, I just can't figure out how it keeps any sort of presence through a Firespout or Anger of the Gods with no card draw. Dangerous Wager? Pyrite Spellbomb?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tharizdun posted:

You act like Siege-Gang Commander wasn't reprinted. There's also the nice bit about cheating in a lord on the first strike step making your slower goblins tougher.

The thing with Siege-Gang is that you're never going to hardcast it, and it's not impactful enough to justify it just for the cheat factor. Warren Instigator in fact just feels like it makes you empty your hand into wraths even quicker :v:

And with wraths, I dunno, post wrath almost every card is equivalent off the top deck because ideally you've weakened them to that it doesn't matter what it is.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Zorak posted:

I've been playing around with a Modern Goblins deck. It's pretty fun; obviously not super powerful or competitive, but it has some pretty good match ups. Also: it's just fun.

Deck: Modern Gobbos

Hell yes, someone to talk shop with re: Goblins. This is the list I'm finishing up that I stole from Molybdenum's friend and added a sideboard-

Deck: Modern "Goblins"

//Lands
4 Contested War Zone
14 Mountain

//Spells
4 Goblin Grenade
4 Kuldotha Rebirth
4 Mox Opal

//Creatures
4 Goblin Arsonist
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
2 Goblin Chieftain
4 Goblin Guide
4 Legion Loyalist
4 Memnite
4 Ornithopter
4 Signal Pest

//Sideboard
3 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Lightning Bolt
3 Shattering Spree
1 Goblin Chieftain
2 Magus of the Moon
3 Reforge the Soul

Display deck statistics

Admittedly it's half Affinity and half RDW using Goblins, but in goldfishing the deck swinging for double digits on turn 2 isn't too tough.

E:

Tharizdun posted:

I love goblins as a deck, I just can't figure out how it keeps any sort of presence through a Firespout or Anger of the Gods with no card draw. Dangerous Wager? Pyrite Spellbomb?

Kill them before turn 3 :getin:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Hell yes, someone to talk shop with re: Goblins. This is the list I'm finishing up that I stole from Molybdenum's friend and added a sideboard-

Deck: Modern "Goblins"

That list looks like it'd be so much better with Foundry Street Denizen instead of Arsonist, you generate tokens so fast that the dude along swings in for like five or six.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm sure you've got good reasons for its omission but it just feels like a deck like that is screaming for Aether Vial.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Zorak posted:

That list looks like it'd be so much better with Foundry Street Denizen instead of Arsonist, you generate tokens so fast that the dude along swings in for like five or six.

You're probably right, I just don't have a playset.

Stinky Pit posted:

I'm sure you've got good reasons for its omission but it just feels like a deck like that is screaming for Aether Vial.

Honestly the deck is so fast that a card like Aether Vial seems too slow (my turn 2 damage record from goldfishing is 18 :shepface:). I can try it but at first glance I'd rather play Guide or Rebirth or even Signal Pest turn 1, and Vial doesn't do anything the turn you play it nor can it swing for damage the turn after you play it.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I played a good bit of Legacy Goblins and Aether Vial was my favorite 1 drop. It let the deck do a lot and have games in matches it otherwise wouldn't of and I love that, I'm sure Modern is much different but I can't help imagining Stingscourging away a critical Emrakul or Wurmcoil Engine and it makes me think "Yeah, I want to be able to do that even if it means being a little slower most of the time"

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
Modern Goblins just doesn't have access to the mana denial to make Vial worth the time it takes. No Wasteland or Port locks you into the fastest possible beatdown plan pretty hard.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Stinky Pit posted:

I played a good bit of Legacy Goblins and Aether Vial was my favorite 1 drop. It let the deck do a lot and have games in matches it otherwise wouldn't of and I love that, I'm sure Modern is much different but I can't help imagining Stingscourging away a critical Emrakul or Wurmcoil Engine and it makes me think "Yeah, I want to be able to do that even if it means being a little slower most of the time"

I'm sure legacy is much different from modern but I can't imagine why you wouldn't play cryptic command in a control deck in legacy. I can only imagine bouncing away a critical birthing pod or countering a critical splinter twin and it makes me think 'man maybe my experiences in one format are almost wholly irrelevant to another'

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rollie the Guar posted:

Modern Goblins just doesn't have access to the mana denial to make Vial worth the time it takes. No Wasteland or Port locks you into the fastest possible beatdown plan pretty hard.

Also you're missing Ringleader to reload, matron to tutor, Warchief for mana acceleration, incinerator to uncounterably kill things and get CA...

Mostly Ringleader though I think, it lets Legacy goblins be a kind of weird control deck.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

cryptic is a LOT of mana in a format with wasteland and rishadan port..

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Vilgan posted:

Perhaps why one shouldn't base card evaluations in one format based on their performance in another? :p

EDIT : vvv : Holy hell y'all missed my goddamn point.

Shavnir fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 16, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Vilgan posted:

Plus, as good as Cryptic is, JtMS is still JtMS.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

Also you're missing Ringleader to reload, matron to tutor, Warchief for mana acceleration, incinerator to uncounterably kill things and get CA...

Mostly Ringleader though I think, it lets Legacy goblins be a kind of weird control deck.

Also Piledriver!

Basically modern goblins lacks like, every key goblin so it's pretty miserable.

I'm not really seeing what that list does better than affinity, to be honest.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 16, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Zoness posted:

Except that it works pretty OK as a synergistic agro deck and also: it's fun. I don't think anyone is saying it's the super secret deck that's gonna make waves in Modern.

It definitely could do with having some of Legacy's more synergistic goblins though. Goblin Warchief (making it more reliable to power out the top end) and Piledrivers (just breaking stuff) would open up so many more options.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Zoness posted:

Also Piledriver!

I'm not really seeing what that list does better than affinity, to be honest.

It is better at not costing hundreds of dollars and has way better flavor.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

AgentSythe posted:

It is better at not costing hundreds of dollars and has way better flavor.

It's playing mox opals, that's like half the cost of Affinity already. Well, one of the lists is at least. (I didn't see Zorak's list originally).

And flavor is like, just your opinion, man.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Shavnir posted:

'man maybe my experiences in one format are almost wholly irrelevant to another'

:rolleyes: Man, if only I was aware of that.

The post you quoted literally says "I know Modern is different" and the post before it started with "I'm sure you have good reasons for its omission" but I guess we can't discuss those differences or reasons for that omission here in the eternal format Magic thread, that would just be stupid.

Rollie the Guar posted:

Elyv posted:

These are pretty much what I assumed at a quick glance. Sacrificing that little bit of speed for vial doesn't seem to produce much of a oay-off later on since the pool of modern Goblins is pretty lacking.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 16, 2014

• Locked thread