Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

RYYSZLA posted:

I hadn't heard of Death Grips til a few weeks ago when I was on a bog standard youtube crawl, I just happened to be in the Black Metal / Crust Punk / Grindcore end of youtube, and was amazed that some "rap" was coming up in the related videos. long story short I listened to The Money Store (still got Get Got in my head) and decided this is more to rap what death metal is to regular metal. It's, dark, it's heavy, and it doesn't give a gently caress. Speaking as a closed-minded metalhead, if all rap was like this, and I wasn't so ignorant about what the rest of the genre sounds like, I would be totally into this all this poo poo, not just Death Grips. There anything similar to this I can get a reccomendation for?

Best comparison would be something like Dalek but nothing really sounds like Death Grips honestly. Techno Animal is another point of interest, and is actually Justin Broaderick from Godflesh and Jesu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXgM9T4mFbQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_czrpe-0mG0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

dsipal posted:

Clipping is pretty good, he has a similar dark heavy feeling, but his music is much more lo-fi and noise based. I like it a lot, his free album is here: http://clppng.bandcamp.com/album/midcity

Clipping is a three-piece but ya Clipping is really good. If you aren't at all into noise though, it may be rough on the ears.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

WASDF posted:

It's a good suggestion though. That was a very rude post.

Agreed. Fans of Death Grips have a good chance of enjoying Clipping. My only complaint with Clipping though is the vocals get pretty "swag" at times, which I dislike.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Griff the Cave Ape posted:

I love hip hop, but I admittedly am not as knowledgeable in it as I should be.

Death Grips is honestly the only interracial "rap" (debatable, I know) group I can really think of, and that's super interesting to me.

I have no idea what you mean by this... Do you mean because Zach and Flatlander are white, and MC Ride is black? Clipping for reference is also two white dudes, and a black guy.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Apparently they just cancelled their Montreal festival show. I'm getting worried about the Boston show Tuesday now... :ohdear:

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Death Grips just cancelled their Boston show. For the 3rd time. Good luck to the rest of you... :smith:

EDIT: Down goes New York.

Killsion fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 5, 2013

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Bliggers- posted:

I'm starting to think they actually don't like their fanbase at all.

This. Then again if their fanbase is the kind of people who would destroy their equipment for them not showing up, I don't blame them for purposefully trying to lose fans.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
I prefer the idea of the song bashing people on Twitter, what with Twitter being a bluebird, but who knows really. On first listen I didn't know what I was hearing, but I'm liking it the more I listen to it as I break down my preconceived notions of what I expect a Death Grips song to be and just enjoy it.

As for the notion of an ARG, there already was a pretty big hoax a few months back, so I'd be hesitant about this possible new ARG.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Thoogsby posted:

I'm fortunate enough to not know what /mu/ is, anyone wanna fill me in on that voicemail?

The music board of 4chan. The original DG ARG was done through /mu/. As a board, it isn't that bad, and the share threads are a great source of new music. Better than reddit honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Franz von Dada posted:

When you come out your poo poo is gone.

I wonder if they even bother to answer fanmail.

They were pretty chill about the ARG.

• Locked thread