Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
In this thread we talk about Death Grips. Death Grips is awesome, and one my favorite new musical acts since the release of their first mixtape "Exmilitary" in 2011. I hope you like Death Grips too.

Okay, no bullshit: What's Death Grips?

Death Grips is, in a nutshell, what your 85 year old grandmother from Arkansas hears whenever you put on your favorite rap album in the car. To her, it's loud, obnoxious, vulgar, and strange. That is what Death Grips is like, except Death Grips is also high on meth and attacking you with a box-cutter.

The main vocalist is MC Ride, who some speculate is in his late 30's, while I believe he's at least 5 thousand years old and has been wandering the far places of the earth.

The drummer is Zach Hill, who is probably the most well-known member of the group due to his previous work on Hella.

So what do they sound like?

Their first release, Exmilitary, was a free EP put up in 2011. It's sound is loud, jarring, and addictive. It's pure anger and unrivaled fury quickly earned the attention of music review sites, who lauded it as unlike anything they'd heard before.

My favorite track off Exmilitary is probably Takyon, but the whole album is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89F5fpvwPr0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiMtCJw_RVc

Their first studio album, The Money Store, is more harmonic, if you can believe such a thing, while still having the surge of berserker anger which brought them attention in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCgxi-h1PoI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIrKSqb4H4A

I love this group. How about you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

TheQat posted:

Surprising everyone, they signed a major label deal with Epic (I think) in 2012. Surprising no one, they got kicked off the label by releasing No Love/Deep Web (successor to The Money Store) before even letting the label hear it--with a picture of the album title inscribed in Sharpie on someone's dick as the only album art, no less.

I really love this group.

There are a lot of rap groups that have the "I don't give a gently caress" motif, but I think Death Grips really, for all intents and purposes, truly does not give a gently caress.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

The Gunge posted:

Nice. Tomorrow is arms day, I will report back with a Sick Pump Brah.

Be careful if you get too into it you could easily go into a berserker frenzy and begin trying to eat the other gym-goers alive.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Did That on Television posted:

I think black husserl nailed it in the hip-hop thread when he said death grips sound like saul williams' niggy tardust from 2007, which is what i thought too when i first heard them a couple weeks ago. i like them though, and don't get how people don't consider it hip-hop.

I admittedly have trouble categorizing them accurately, as do a lot of people. Clearly the closest relative of Death Grips is Hip-Hop, but especially on tracks like "Guillotine", there's something else to it. It's not quite metal, it's... I think it's just anger. Pure anger.

It really is honest to god one of those things you have to experience, you're unable to describe it. I had never heard any A$AP Rocky stuff before, but listening to Long. Live. A$AP., I knew exactly what I was getting into. It was great, sure, but nothing on it really shocked me. Death Grips always surprises me, even on my 100th listen.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Dangerous Person posted:

Death Grips was one of those concert experiences where I actually thought I was going to die at one point. I was front and center, getting rammed into the stage. For a good ten minutes I wound up laying in front of Zack's drums shirtless while MC Ride spazzed around a foot away from me.

Go see them if you have the chance.

Moving to LA in Autumn I think, at the top of my to-do list.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Someone asked me why I liked Death Grips because "it sounds like someone gave a schizophrenic homeless man a microphone and played it over dialup tones" and I told them they answered their own question.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I'd be satisfied if they just played Takyon on repeat for like 2 hours to be honest.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

dsipal posted:

If anyone here wants to listen to more hip hop with an abrasive edge, check out clipping. You can get their album free here (or give them a kind donation): http://clppng.bandcamp.com/album/midcity

EDIT: Turn volume down for first song, very low, if you don't like that song too much skip to bout.that

stop spamming this poo poo in my loving thread please

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I love hip hop, but I admittedly am not as knowledgeable in it as I should be.

Death Grips is honestly the only interracial "rap" (debatable, I know) group I can really think of, and that's super interesting to me.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Bliggers- posted:

Death Grips are opening for Bjork this sat at Ottawa Bluesfest and next week at Echo Beach in Toronto, I'm hyped.

That's an incredibly bizarre opening act for Bjork but it's kind of perfect because of that.

Also I have difficulty watching that Zach Hill drumming video, just cause it looks so goddamn painful. Ouch.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I don't think I'd have to, although it's funny to think about, in a way it makes perfect sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZnjcFQUqJI

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Bliggers- posted:

However, Mykki Blanco played earlier in the day (Bjork refused to play the festival unless Blanco and Death Grips were also on the bill)

That is so goddamn cool. Way to go, Bjork.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I wish Stefan was my bf

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

No matter what happens, I'm just glad one of Zach Hill's wacky outings finally took off big. His half of that Speakerboxx/Love Below style split album was so drat good and I never hear anything about it.

I still rock Hold Your Horse Is though

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Oops, I guess I consider Hella the "main" Zach Hill band so I meant like....everything other than Hella he's up to. I mark out for all Hella releases.

Both Hella and Death Grips have been extremely influential on contemporary music so Zach Hill certainly is doing something right. Mad respect.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

holy poo poo, never heard of these guys until I saw this thread

this poo poo owns

word

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MHhLDCJ57E

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

WASDF posted:

I wouldn't say this post is an extremely accurate one.

I agree actually I exaggerated

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Whoever described this sound as something that makes you want to split your forehead open on a cinderblock was spot on. I've had No Love & Ex-Military on repeat the last few weekends with a few Js & exercise and I think that's the way to get a Stefan physique. Got the other 2 lined up,might save them for later.

loving amazing, it's like Crystal Castles filtered through a concussed fever dream. Anybody else have a similar sound in terms of instrumentation? Closest I've found was NOISIA but they're too 'clean'.

It really is amazing. Do you like The Money Store?

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I feel privileged to be a fan of this group.

It's so good.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

So I was listening to Death Grips in the shower, and when I got out there was a spider in the sink. I trapped it in an airtight plastic bag and left it to suffocate.

epic for the win

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Is NOTM really growing on any of you too?

I listened to it when it came out and thought 'this seems really good but it might take a while for it to click' and it clicked.

It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
If Jenny Death is not released before January 1st 2015 I propose we all commit ritualistic suicide in protest

• Locked thread