Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

genius.com has some great insight into the meaning behind the lyrics of 'Hacker' http://genius.com/Death-grips-hacker-lyrics/

quote:

Goin' back to Tangier
With some Jordans and a spear

quote:

Tangier is notable for being an espionage hub, especially during the Cold War. “Jordans” could mean he’s got some new sneakers, which ties into the spy idea; he’s ready to sneak around with his new spear and kill your poo poo.

Tangier being a spy hub could also mean he’s taking control of the government with a spear, which is easier said than done. This ties in with the theme of hacking; in his seemingly impossible task the spear could represent a small home computer, a common and simple weapon capable of mass destruction.

The word “back” suggests he’s already been there, indicating a potential birthplace or origin in Northern Africa, or maybe he’s just back for more.

Alternatively… — Tangier contains an astonishing number of separate cultures (which eventually gave it the reputation as a “spy hub”).

MC Ride wearing the Jordans while wielding a spear present a stark contrast between “essential” items in two cultures he seems to be a part of — hip-hop and savagery.

quote:

“With some Jordans and a spear”, i.e. bridging the gap between pre-colonial Africa and modern hip-hop culture.

quote:

Tangier was a major spy hub during the Cold War and prior – MC Ride is equating the rise of hacker culture to a return to classic Tangier espionage. But unlike the spies of old anyone can become a prolific hacker if they possess the guile (wearing Jordan “sneak"ers) and the rig (the aforementioned "spear” that will allow them to penetrate a system’s defenses)

or, he's going to rob the apple store at the tangier brand outlet malls
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanger_Factory_Outlet_Center

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I never thought I'd get to the point where the money store counts as "easy listening"

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

80808 is out there, it's pretty good as well.

solid 8/10 record imo

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Forceholy posted:

The second half of BP is better than the first. Solid 8.

uhhh the second half doesn't have hot head or spikes but yeah that's mostly true

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I'd say last places goes to either warping or eh

eh/10

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the real news here is Anthony Fandango thought Ring a Bell was the worst track on BP

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

the point is Ring a Bell is probably the #1 track on the whole album

its system blower 2.0

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

:shittypop:

I hope you didn't make that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Update on the MC Ride looking guy.

Showed him Death Grips, he liked it, suggested I listen to Tyler the Creator.

:sever: his jugular

• Locked thread