Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
This band is really not that "noisy" or "abrasive" and I don't think playing it in your car would get any reactions from passerby that are much different from what you'd get playing any other loud music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

nasboat posted:

Maybe not for you, but Death Grips is literally the only artist I listen to that has what amounts to "schizophrenic screaming" as vocals, so I would categorize them as "noisy" and "abrasive" when combined with the music (at least on The Money Store). And I assume this is the case for more than just me.

The music just sounds like beats with synth sounds that basically sound like electric guitars over it and a guy yelling. I like Death Grips but honestly I don't think Rageaholic Monkey's signature driving with the windows down is going to cause a riot in his neighborhood unless he lives in some place like in The Village where people never heard of rock music before.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Though most of the time, I can't even tell Zach Hill is in this crew. Does he go crazy on the kit live? When he's actually touring with them, that is. The drums rule in Death Grips, but they very rarely sound like Zach Hill drums.

This song has more manic drums that sound like Zach Hill a little more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFmZ6WDkuj0

But a lot of what makes this good and not "Zach Hill in a rap band" is that he lays back and does stuff that's appropriate for the style of music rather than just doing what he did in Hella.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

Griff the Cave Ape posted:

I love hip hop, but I admittedly am not as knowledgeable in it as I should be.

Death Grips is honestly the only interracial "rap" (debatable, I know) group I can really think of, and that's super interesting to me.

Man there's another band that's pretty noisy and also has a black guy and two white guys in it . . . I forget their name but I think they were mentioned in this thread . . . I think it's that word for when your waveform is too big and then you get in a loudness war and the music is all distorted?? (I'm kidding.)

There are actually a few examples, none of whom I actually listen to regularly but like Digital Underground, Cypress Hill, Jurassic 5, 3rd Bass, Das Racist, etc.

• Locked thread