Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'll be taking bets that the game map in Homeworld 3 will be a two dimensional plane. No more z-axis. Any takers?

Also, this is the worst loving "big name" developer that could have possibly gotten this title. What a disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I don't know about everyone else but I can't wait for Homeworld: Marines.

RoboJiggolo
Aug 16, 2004

More Than Meets the Eye

Mr. Wynand posted:

don't gently caress up the art style too much

Yeah, I love the art style of Homeworld, it's modeled after my favorite series of books as a kid, the "Terran Trade Authority" books.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I remember back in early highschool I found a bigass book which was just full of that artwork and immediately fell in love, which was one of the reasons Homeworld resonated with me as much as it did.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
Gearbox is pretty much Zynga if they got into retail games. Aliens is my favorite movie, but after what Gearbox did to it, they have become my most hated developer. Nothing could make me give them money anymore.

I really love Homeworld but nothing good is going to come out of this. Let's all just hope Gearbox goes out of business and sells the IP to some other studio.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The one good thing to come out of all of this is that I now know that Enemy Starfighter exists, and that is some sweet, sweet knowledge.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I don't even need an RTS game for Homeworld, I'd love to see the game branch out a little and the universe get fleshed out. A game where you just play Iifrit Tambuur'sa getting his vengeance on the Taidanii. Flying around in your little frigate punishing war criminals and exploring the political realities of the new galactic order.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Demiurge4 posted:

I don't even need an RTS game for Homeworld, I'd love to see the game branch out a little and the universe get fleshed out. A game where you just play Iifrit Tambuur'sa getting his vengeance on the Taidanii. Flying around in your little frigate punishing war criminals and exploring the political realities of the new galactic order.

I would be down with an RPG/flight simulator blend where you command a capital ship and its crew and go around doing stuff on your own or as part of larger fleet actions when necessary. There's no way Gearbox do that with Homeworld 3 though.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
RTS games I feel are like fighting games, you can have all the wonderful window dressing you want but you need to have incredibly tight and/or interesting mechanics in order for it to survive. I barely touch single player modes and get right into the multiplayer, that is where I feel the game is best judged. I really don't know if Gearbox has the chops to create something mechanistically sound, never mind the story (even if it is a major component for the Homeworld series). It is a genre which requires the proper perspective. Who knows, maybe they will parachute a team in who knows what they are doing and we will all be pleasantly surprised. I'll cry bloody murder once I see how it plays, sorry about your space opera though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Man it's sort of amazing how much scorn you can earn by releasing one bad game. Guess Miyamoto was right about bad games.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
It's not just that it was a bad game, it was just so much worse than what we were being sold on based of that pre-release gameplay video with Pitchford narrating. Like, I enjoyed Borderlands 2 but I have no intention of buying anything from Gearbox after A:CM. Which sucks because I also liked Homeworld!

Kerc Kasha
Apr 18, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

I've only known Gearbox to do half baked FPS' but hey maybe they can find their true calling with homeworld 3.

Hopefully that calling is bankruptcy.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Lord Lambeth posted:

Man it's sort of amazing how much scorn you can earn by releasing one bad game. Guess Miyamoto was right about bad games.

Well they released DNF and Marines as two more recent titles. Their catalogue isn't horrible outside of that, just a bit average (even though I do love co-op Borderlands). They haven't done much outside of FPS and sometimes they gently caress those games up so horribly that you wonder about their capability to release their bread and butter titles, let alone a 3d RTS which they don't have much experience with.

Like they're not a completely poo poo dev, they're just a really middle ground one that has a couple of massive blunders in their history.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Lambeth posted:

It's actually pretty relevant since their two massive bombs were other peoples' IP that they snapped up, earnestly reassured everybody that they were ~true fans~ who would do justice to the originals, and then unceremoniously shat out a horrible game and blamed its failure on everyone but themselves.

They just snapped up somebody else's IP and are earnestly reassuring everybody that they are true Homeworld fans and are going to do justice to the originals. You see why people might react poorly to that?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I can't really blame them for duke nukem because it was gonna be profitable regardless of any additional work. Aliens: Colonial Marines is completely their fault though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

comatose posted:

It's not just that it was a bad game, it was just so much worse than what we were being sold on based of that pre-release gameplay video with Pitchford narrating. Like, I enjoyed Borderlands 2 but I have no intention of buying anything from Gearbox after A:CM. Which sucks because I also liked Homeworld!
Yeah, unlike all the times a studio exec or lead designer has narrated a video about how their game is poo poo and told people not to buy it. Remember when Kayne & Lynch came out and the publisher actually bought ads that highlighted how awful it was? And then Jeff Gerstmann had the audacity to say it wasn't that bad, so they got him fired? Man, that guy Pitchford lied to our faces that game wasn't a steaming turd, he broke the code. Nev3r 4-get :911:

The demo misrepresentation stuff was bad juju, but even that is not at all unique. E3 demos, videos, et cetera have historically not been exactly representational of the finished product. PA made jokes about this in 2005, acting like this was a startling new betrayal is plain dumb.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

comatose posted:

Like, I enjoyed Borderlands 2 but I have no intention of buying anything from Gearbox after A:CM. Which sucks because I also liked Homeworld!

If Gearbox makes Homeworld 3 and it gets good reviews and goons praise it, would you still not buy it? Serious question.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Robiben posted:

If Gearbox makes Homeworld 3 and it gets good reviews and goons praise it, would you still not buy it? Serious question.

I don't know about him, but you can count me in on the "never give Gearbox money again" crowd.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

SBJ posted:

I don't know about him, but you can count me in on the "never give Gearbox money again" crowd.

Fair enough. I can understand being wary of spotty developer before release, but it seems a bit weird to me to take the stance of not giving a certain developer money. You could be denying yourself of a great Homeworld game to stick it to Gearbox.

I might just point out I am not implying that I think Gearbox will make the greatest game ever, I am just musing.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Best case scenario: It'll have awesome action set pieces, a great soundtrack and clever, unironic use of FMV with the only drawback being the Internet memes they'll insert everywhere because they're Gearbox.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Donnerberg posted:

a great soundtrack

Homeworld 3 featuring Kiithid N.W.A.'s (Nabaalz With Attitude) latest hits "Straight Outta Kadesh", "gently caress Tha Taiidan", and "Vaygr Vaygr"

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
And it's all dubstep.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
If this game is demonstrably awesome I will buy it and proudly hold it up as penance enough for their bad games. I can't imagine why anyone would deny themselves a cool gaming time just because the dev made a terrible game in the past. It makes no sense.

I am saying this as someone who did not buy either DNF or Colonial Marines because they looked lovely and terrible.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
All they have to do for the soundtrack is hire Jesper Kyd again. That guy should just score all videogame music.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Demiurge4 posted:

Going indepth with the Kushan tribe system in a game like that would be drat cool, since Iifrit lost his entire family, so he was forced to ask the other tribes for volunteers. You could strike a deal with the Soban, getting awesome fighters and tactical minds, or maybe a few Somtaaw who could make emergency repairs and optimize your ship's efficiency. It not being a RTS wouldn't hurt at all, I would love getting to fly the crafts myself. Surely I wasn't the only one who could just gawk at the ingame ships while your collectors cleaned up after the mission was over? I can't come up with any other RTS that made those post-mission lulls bearable through visual design alone.

SBJ posted:

"Vote with your wallet". Rewarding them with money when they make a good game says more than just refusing out of spite.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 23, 2013

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

miscellaneous14 posted:

All they have to do for the soundtrack is hire Jesper Kyd again. That guy should just score all videogame music.
I don't recall Jesper Kyd having anything to do with the Homeworld Soundtracks, Paul Ruskay was the composer for the ambient stuff in both Homeworld and Homeworld 2.

To be honest, Homeworld's soundtrack is an intrinsic part of why it was so good, I wouldn't like to imagine it done by anyone else.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 23, 2013

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

THE BAR posted:

Going indepth with the Kushan tribe system in a game like that would be drat cool, since Iifrit lost his entire family, so he was forced to ask the other tribes for volunteers. You could strike a deal with the Soban, getting awesome fighters and tactical minds, or maybe a few Somtaaw who could make emergency repairs and optimize your ship's efficiency. It not being a RTS wouldn't hurt at all, I would love getting to fly the crafts myself. Surely I wasn't the only one who could just gawk at the ingame ships while your collectors cleaned up after the mission was over? I can't come up with any other RTS that made those post-mission lulls bearable through visual design alone.

Exactly, an open world RPG in space would be amazing. You would respond to SOS calls, explore ancient scrap yards and capture Taidanii war criminals present at the burning of Kharak. Cooperate with pirates when it suits you and build an efficient wolf pack. Come to think of it, I think Starfarer (Starsector) would be perfect for this in the form of a mod. Once the game is complete one could create exactly this kind of game and have the Kiiths represented in the form of officers.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Demiurge4 posted:

Exactly, an open world RPG in space would be amazing. You would respond to SOS calls, explore ancient scrap yards and capture Taidanii war criminals present at the burning of Kharak. Cooperate with pirates when it suits you and build an efficient wolf pack. Come to think of it, I think Starfarer (Starsector) would be perfect for this in the form of a mod. Once the game is complete one could create exactly this kind of game and have the Kiiths represented in the form of officers.

The ability to trade with other ships would be awesome as well in Starfarer, but I don't know if that'll ever be a feature. I just want the Bentusi to show up and let you buy something ridiculous, if you get lucky.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

RoboJiggolo posted:

Yeah, I love the art style of Homeworld, it's modeled after my favorite series of books as a kid, the "Terran Trade Authority" books.

Goddamn! I loved that book in high-school. I also have to say this is the most pissed I've seen people on the internet about what is essentially not news since the bitching about Diablo 3s' "bright colors"

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Haruharuharuko posted:

Goddamn! I loved that book in high-school. I also have to say this is the most pissed I've seen people on the internet about what is essentially not news since the bitching about Diablo 3s' "bright colors"
Hey now, people on the internet are passionate about stuff, or at least can post passionately about something without really being super upset. I can be all like "hey sure why not?, I mean ok I guess", because I'd long given up the Homeworld IP as being dead property, and that's despite the fact that it was Homeworld that introduced me to playing games over the internet ( playing a peer to peer game from Australia on a 56k connection didn't seem as horrible and laggy as playing with an ADSL 2+ connection today, but I'm sure that's just rose coloured glasses ), and registering on an internet forum ( Relicnews ) to discuss the finer points of playing the game until one day being goatse'd which led me here.
The likelyhood is that Gearbox is going to squat on the IP like THQ before them, but hey maybe they'll release HD versions of the originals, and that'll make me pretty happy. Or perhaps they'll start a project and poo poo out a horrible title - well sure that'll be disappointing, but I played Homeworld and had a great time with that ( whatever Gearbox release isn't going to take that away from me ), and assuming they do that HD release I'd be playing that all over again so I'm all set, I've made enough poor choices to know not to throw down preorder money for a Homeworld 3 unless I have a pretty good idea that it'll blow my mind all over again.
As to most pissed about not news, maybe most pissed today at least, but the scroll down the Fallout 4 thread ( and I'm sure there are plenty other examples to draw from but that immediately springs to mind ).

tank is raid leader O.K.
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck you say about the Emperor?

A Homeworld game made by Gearbox.

Also, echoing calls for them to do the right thing and somehow subcontract making any new Homeworld games to Relic. A man can dream... can't he?

tank is raid leader O.K. fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 23, 2013

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I was trying to think about which company people would have been happy to hear had got the license. Paradox, I guess, and probably Valve. Blizzard probably would have detractors but not like this. I was going to limit it to companies who have made RTSes but Gearbox isn't one so I guess that opens it up a lot. It seems like every other big publisher has some reason that people dislike them (though not as recent as Gearbox's, maybe.)

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Robiben posted:

It would have to be like Game Of The Decade or something for me to give them more money.

Klyith posted:

Yeah, unlike all the times a studio exec or lead designer has narrated a video about how their game is poo poo and told people not to buy it. Remember when Kayne & Lynch came out and the publisher actually bought ads that highlighted how awful it was? And then Jeff Gerstmann had the audacity to say it wasn't that bad, so they got him fired? Man, that guy Pitchford lied to our faces that game wasn't a steaming turd, he broke the code. Nev3r 4-get :911:

The demo misrepresentation stuff was bad juju, but even that is not at all unique. E3 demos, videos, et cetera have historically not been exactly representational of the finished product. PA made jokes about this in 2005, acting like this was a startling new betrayal is plain dumb.

Yeah that's great and all but I don't pay attention to every single developer walk through for every game ever. A:CM was the first time I have seen it happen with a game I was interested in. I'm not saying it never happen though. I also don't remember PA comics from 8 years ago.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Hypha posted:

RTS games I feel are like fighting games, you can have all the wonderful window dressing you want but you need to have incredibly tight and/or interesting mechanics in order for it to survive. I barely touch single player modes and get right into the multiplayer, that is where I feel the game is best judged. I really don't know if Gearbox has the chops to create something mechanistically sound, never mind the story (even if it is a major component for the Homeworld series). It is a genre which requires the proper perspective. Who knows, maybe they will parachute a team in who knows what they are doing and we will all be pleasantly surprised. I'll cry bloody murder once I see how it plays, sorry about your space opera though.

Eh, this isn't true at all? Sure you have Starcraft/SC2, but people have played RTS games for ages solely on SP/Skirmish/goofing off with friends. It just needs to be balanced enough so that you feel like there isn't a single obvious choice for every situation - which makes the game boring.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

comatose posted:

It would have to be like Game Of The Decade or something for me to give them more money.

:goonsay:

Seriously why are people so upset that someone, hell anyone is doing anything with this franchise. Would you rather it languish in IP Hell where no-one can touch it and it never gets re-released? Or would you rather someone with lets be honest has going for it in the self published list 8 out of 10 good to great games, and a handful of great licensed-out titles, take a crack at it, the worst and I repeat the worst thing that will happen is they make a lackluster or poor game and the franchise dies for good... like it was before they bought it, you loose nothing. The mod community will still exist and will continue to shepherd the game to continue to work on modern operating systems (like System Shock 2) and provide new mods. All I'm saying is that without even a cohesive designe document or them stating their intentions on the franchise all this doom and gloom is ridiculous.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mozi posted:

I was trying to think about which company people would have been happy to hear had got the license. Paradox, I guess, and probably Valve. Blizzard probably would have detractors but not like this. I was going to limit it to companies who have made RTSes but Gearbox isn't one so I guess that opens it up a lot.
Paradox? Are we forgetting that SOTS II was a worse game at release than even A:CM? Aliens was poo poo, but at least the game worked. Not exactly their fault, but Paradox the publisher has plenty of black marks. Paradox the dev studio, I can't imagine how they'd be able to make a new Homeworld. They're pretty tiny and they make 2d historical over-complex turn-based strategy games. Gearbox hasn't made a RTS, but at least they work with 3d engines.

If I had the ability to give it to any existing studio or team excluding Relic and a budget to make a mid-tier game, I'd probably go with Ironclad (Sins of a Solar Empire), and expand them enough to make a game with a campaign.

Mozi posted:

It seems like every other big publisher has some reason that people dislike them (though not as recent as Gearbox's, maybe.)
Gamers are a temperamental bunch. Whoever made the most recent big gaffe is the most hated. By next year the EA-Simcity and Gearbox-ACM will be forgotten and someone else will be the new Gaming Antichrist (microsoft if the online console thing is true).

comatose posted:

Yeah that's great and all but I don't pay attention to every single developer walk through for every game ever. A:CM was the first time I have seen it happen with a game I was interested in. I'm not saying it never happen though. I also don't remember PA comics from 8 years ago.
Sorry you got burned (the first time always hurts the most). Do what you feel best about it, but I gotta say if I never bought a game by a company that made something terrible, I'd buy a lot less games. The lesson to learn isn't that Gearbox are assholes, it's that none of these companies are your friends and that all pre-release hype is advertising to get you to buy a game sight unseen.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Klyith posted:

The lesson to learn isn't that Gearbox are assholes

No, pretty sure Randy Pitchford is pretty staunchly an rear end in a top hat.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Mozi posted:

I was trying to think about which company people would have been happy to hear had got the license. Paradox, I guess, and probably Valve. Blizzard probably would have detractors but not like this. I was going to limit it to companies who have made RTSes but Gearbox isn't one so I guess that opens it up a lot. It seems like every other big publisher has some reason that people dislike them (though not as recent as Gearbox's, maybe.)

Honestly, no one's really up to the task of making a triple A Homeworld 3, except maybe Creative Assembly. Paradox releases so much more crap than even Gearbox. Valve and Blizzard wouldn't know what to do with this kind of game.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Stardock is lead by an rear end in a top hat, Gearbox is lead by an rear end in a top hat, Kerberos is just an entire bunch of assholes... With the exception of that kickstarter, it seems like the Homeworld IP was just a complete rear end in a top hat Magnet.

I won't say Gearbox is the worst possibly buyer, but quite honestly? I think we would get a better game out of it if Ubisoft or Activision had bought it up and farmed it out to one of their studios that has prior experience with RTS games, and is capable of writing an actual story instead of stringing a few memes together and thinking it's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
That CodeHunters/Borderlands thing is astonishing. I mean, how hard would it have been to put him on the art team (seeing as how they were already planning to work with him) or at least get his blessing and give him special thanks and/or "inspired by the short film by Ben Hibon"? I really enjoy the Borderlands games but that kind of puts a sour note on the whole thing.

• Locked thread