Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

IIRC the game is pretty skittish about letting survivors die from expired missions (though it wasn't originally, in the days when it was basically a single-player MMO that simulated time between game sessions). One thing - when you help a survivor in trouble, you're tasked with bringing them back to base. Other missions will be inaccessible during this time but if you need help with supply runs, the person you're in the process of "rescuing" will tag along with you and fight zombies. I think you can also count on them to help you clear infestations, since they exist independently of missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I abused the heck out of that in the vet clinic mission- I had two fairly melee-happy NPCs, so I made pit stops to clear every un-dealt with infestation along the way XD

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

The thing to remember is that the game uses all those non-story missions as filler. You're never going to finish with them, when you clear a batch the game just generates more. You'll learn to do them if they're convenient, or if you need a helper (as above), or if you have a favorite character you want to help out.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

A word of warning about "X PERSON IS IN TROUBLE" missions. The game basically treats things "out of sight, out of mind". If you don't see them in person or on your minimap, they don't happen. So if you stay away from that survivor in trouble, odds are they'll come back on their own okay except for a morale hit.

If you go NEAR them though, zombies spawn around that person. You can hightail it the gently caress out of there again and it'll forget about it, but if you stay there eventually either the zombies will kill that survivor or the survivor kills the zombies and just waits there. Odds aren't great.

Same goes true for special zombie hunt missions. When you complete them, the person runs home for some reason. While running, they can be killed. Any zombies in the radar or on your screen will go after them if they sense them, including juggernauts or ferals. So when they jump out of the car, gun it away from them. If you get them off your radar, they're essentially invulnerable.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm just starting out, and I'm feeling incredibly stressed by all of the (at least, seemingly) time-sensitive missions. The story mission I'm on is to find dog medicine to cram down Ed's throat, and that seems fairly pressing, but within the space of about five minutes Lily radioed me to a) check a potential loot house, b) rescue Marcus from zombies, c) make contact with another group of survivors, and d) clear out two infestations. Is there any way to tell which missions will keep, and which ones need to be prioritized?

You have an unbelievable amount of time to accomplish all of that in. I'll assume you've already done it, but you'd be best off going B, D, C, A, Storyline Mission. I only put B ahead of D because Marcus is overly useful, and if he resolves it himself, he might get injured for a day or two. D could be a problem because it will constantly generate injured/scared/missing dudes for you, but you can cheese your way through them with with a car and/or some molotovs. Basically nothing in the game has an actual meaningful time limit to it unless you are right there anyway. You have plenty of time to get your supplies together and basically just gently caress around until you are ready to get things done.

Like other people have said, the only real danger to any of your people is you.

Edit: Also, gently caress the load times on the Xbone.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, will characters regenerate health if I leave them alone? I'm at the point where everyone I can play as has low health, but I really don't want to waste pills on them if I can just stand idle for a day/night cycle to heal everyone.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, will characters regenerate health if I leave them alone? I'm at the point where everyone I can play as has low health, but I really don't want to waste pills on them if I can just stand idle for a day/night cycle to heal everyone.

Yeah, they'll get their health and stamina back if you don't play as them for awhile.

EDIT: I think misunderstood. You can just turn the game off and do something for a bit instead of standing idle. If I remember right that'll heal the character you have selected as well. Lots of stuff happens while the game is off. Constructions will continue, people will heal, and so on.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 30, 2015

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Yeah, they'll get their health and stamina back if you don't play as them for awhile.

EDIT: I think misunderstood. You can just turn the game off and do something for a bit instead of standing idle. If I remember right that'll heal the character you have selected as well. Lots of stuff happens while the game is off. Constructions will continue, people will heal, and so on.

Are you sure that they'll heal? I've been turning it off and on to fast travel (when I don't have a car with goodies to bring back), but when I turned it off last night Marcus was the active character and at half health, and when I loaded it this afternoon his health seemed unchanged. I'm still on the original headquarters though (I'm saving my material and influence for after I get the quest that lets me move to synder), so the passive healing might be a medical upgrade I haven't paid to unlock.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Omi no Kami posted:

Are you sure that they'll heal? I've been turning it off and on to fast travel (when I don't have a car with goodies to bring back), but when I turned it off last night Marcus was the active character and at half health, and when I loaded it this afternoon his health seemed unchanged. I'm still on the original headquarters though (I'm saving my material and influence for after I get the quest that lets me move to synder), so the passive healing might be a medical upgrade I haven't paid to unlock.

I honestly could be mistaken it's been awhile. I could have sworn they did, though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm having problems with vehicle inventories. When I try to put a rucksack in a vehicle, it just gives a little fwip noise and nothing happens. I can transfer inventory items fine, but not rucksacks. I've been restricted to using the lower, older pickup trucks to transport multiple rucksacks.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I honestly could be mistaken it's been awhile. I could have sworn they did, though.

I finally got home away from home, so I'll see what changes once I start upgrading things... Synder is the best long-term facility if I'm going for a hueg base with tons of buddies, right?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Omi no Kami posted:

I finally got home away from home, so I'll see what changes once I start upgrading things... Synder is the best long-term facility if I'm going for a hueg base with tons of buddies, right?

Yeah it's the biggest facility. I think I you need 11 or 12 survivors to claim it, and I can't quite remember how many other supplies. Go to it and there should be a little note or pop-up that tells.

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm having problems with vehicle inventories. When I try to put a rucksack in a vehicle, it just gives a little fwip noise and nothing happens. I can transfer inventory items fine, but not rucksacks. I've been restricted to using the lower, older pickup trucks to transport multiple rucksacks.

That sounds like a bug. Sucks.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah, Snyder or the Fairgrounds are really the only two big-name base locations if you're looking for your own li'l army.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, I wish we started in synder, this is better already. XD

One last thing I'm curious about-I set up three outposts in a triangle around my base to ensure that every single road leading to synder crosses through an outpost. For my remaining outposts, can I get away with placing one each in the three not-Marshall towns so I have easy storage for all my looting, or is it preferable to cover more terrain around my base and make Marshall one huge safe zone?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Omi no Kami posted:

One last thing I'm curious about-I set up three outposts in a triangle around my base to ensure that every single road leading to synder crosses through an outpost. For my remaining outposts, can I get away with placing one each in the three not-Marshall towns so I have easy storage for all my looting, or is it preferable to cover more terrain around my base and make Marshall one huge safe zone?

Sounds like you have it figured out. There's really not much reason to secure all of Marshall, unless you think it would be fun. Another thing you can do is use the rest of your outposts to secure the area you want to clear then pick them up and move them on to the next when your done.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ooh, you can move them later? That is awesome, for some reason I assumed that once you placed an outpost, that HQ was stuck with it forever. ^^

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
So... The Big question still hasn't been answered yet:

Is this worth buying if you own the original with expansions?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

I usually put all but one outpost around my base to be REALLY sure about hordes, then I'll use the last outpost as a roving looter dropoff point. Tearing down and re-creating outposts is pretty cheap once you've gotten started (and definitely once you've moved into Snyder) that its no big deal to close an outpost and then move it 2 blocks over, which will help speed up your drop-offs quite a bit when looting.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ephex posted:

If I got a new computer that could handle turning up all the pretty visuals all the way up I would.

Absent that? Doesn't sound like a good get if you're already loaded up. Nice to recommend to new players.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Omi no Kami posted:

You have to not play it for awhile for it to start simulating "While you were gone" type things, and it doesn't always (almost never, in my experience) apply such things to whatever your active character is.

I kind of miss the old way it did it, because I left a playthrough hanging for months, and when I came back I had enough supplies to basically do everything I wanted. It made me regret that I couldn't build up all the bases in one go and have a vacation home for my guys (none of whom managed to die in the interim),

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

ephex posted:

It's a toughie for sure. I never would have stopped playing it on the 360 but after moving to a Bone it was well worth the price of admission.

The question is when I decide to buy the game a THIRD time on Steam which version do I buy. That's the question.

El Seven
Jan 15, 2012
Has anyone received any of the CLEO missions? Allegedly these missions hint at some of the story elements to be introduced into State of Decay 2.

Cerebral Wolf
Jun 20, 2008

ChogsEnhour posted:

It's a toughie for sure. I never would have stopped playing it on the 360 but after moving to a Bone it was well worth the price of admission.

The question is when I decide to buy the game a THIRD time on Steam which version do I buy. That's the question.

I have it on 360 and xbone, I didn't have the expansions though so it was well worth picking up again in my opinion.

As for cleo, I've done 2 missions so far, there's some nice gear there, looking forward to seeing where it leads!

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

El Seven posted:

Has anyone received any of the CLEO missions? Allegedly these missions hint at some of the story elements to be introduced into State of Decay 2.

I've done all of them. Some of them were an unbelievable bitch with Ferals and Juggernauts.

I also had a thing happen where one of the survivors I spent a lot of time training up went Missing. I rescued her just fine and drove her to Snyder. Instead of going to the safety circle though, she started jogging across the map. I drove up next to her in the field thinking she might get in the car, but instead she got torn in half by a fatso. This loving game.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Year One trip report: graphics are different but hard to say yet whether they're "better" because my game froze about 5 minutes in while I was driving through a horde, but on the plus side I was doing it while using a new character it gave me and while driving a new vehicle.

UI was overhauled which is a little disorienting, seems like change for the sake of change. Combat feels faster but also jerkier, as if it's only faster because they removed animation frames.

Cerebral Wolf
Jun 20, 2008
God drat it, I didn't realise the wilkersons raiding mission is timed. Gonna have to restart for the sake of my ocd with achievements.

I don't want to play vanilla for anything other than grabbing the achievements.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Started a new breakdown game in Year One, climbed a lookout, couldn't get it to finish for some reason, slid down and got immediately mauled by a feral. I'm pretty sure this exact thing happened to me in the original breakdown as well.

I don't learn.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Bondematt posted:

Started a new breakdown game in Year One, climbed a lookout, couldn't get it to finish for some reason, slid down and got immediately mauled by a feral. I'm pretty sure this exact thing happened to me in the original breakdown as well.

I don't learn.

That feral was probably what you were missing on the survey too. :v:

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Cerebral Wolf posted:

God drat it, I didn't realise the wilkersons raiding mission is timed. Gonna have to restart for the sake of my ocd with achievements.

I don't want to play vanilla for anything other than grabbing the achievements.

Which mission is that?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Atmus posted:

Which mission is that?

The one where you hang out at their mansion and nail boards to windows and get to steal all the stuff from their safe

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

The one where you hang out at their mansion and nail boards to windows and get to steal all the stuff from their safe

Also where you learn that running away from Big Uns is really your best bet. That outpost down the road is under siege? gently caress that, I'll just go loot over here now.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I'm tickled my freak writeup from way back when this first came out is still on the front page. Still relevant, only that ferals now try to dodge your bullets like the motherfuckers that they are.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ferals are the only monster to scare the poo poo out of me. Big Uns? gently caress that, I'll just bail through a house or two. But ferals will rip your dick off before you even know they're there.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I'm not afraid of anything I can run over. that also applies to this game.

Although I do like the way the wheels go flying off when you try to run over a Bigun.

I wasn't aware that Wilkerson mission could time out. What does it do?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Ed doesn't make it because you never get the doc to stop by. I had Ed die in my first or second game and I'm pretty sure that was the reason.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 15, 2015

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Oh, okay. I thought you (or whoever) meant that when you started the mission, there was a time limit involved. I still kind of think there is, because the few times it took me awhile, the Biguns just ran off the map for some reason.

Currently, my main problem is some of the heroes in Breakdown will get into an unrecoverable bad mood. You have to leave them behind and reacquire them in another level to make them an irritating liability.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

bitcoin bastard posted:

Big Uns? gently caress that, I'll just bail through a house or two.

Girly man. Real men kill Big Uns via repeated drop kicks.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bitcoin bastard posted:

Ferals are the only monster to scare the poo poo out of me. Big Uns? gently caress that, I'll just bail through a house or two. But ferals will rip your dick off before you even know they're there.

Ferals are a lot of the reason why I installed the George Romero mod. Getting annihilated by those for crossing a street sucked

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Can anyone recommend a mod like QMJS that's compatible for Year One? It appears that mod's creator hasn't updated his for the new version yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm trying to get that stupid The Killer achievement and apparently Zombie Standard Time doesn't work anymore.

• Locked thread