Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

suboptimal posted:

So does the RV mission take a while to generate on higher levels of Breakdown, or what? I'm trying to go from 5-6, have a healthy community of 23 and morale is great. Running the QMJS and Crossbow mods.

I'm really digging the sudden jump in difficulty from 4-5. Some of. My characters' weapons are breaking in combat, namely because they're fighting a lot more. Last night, a ripped bag drew probably around 50 zombies to Erik Tan as he looted a small gas station. It took about five minutes of continuous dodging, fighting and shooting before he could get clear.

Other things-
Whoever suggested thePowerhouse and Edged perks was so right.
-If you have a character with. Death From Above perk, their artillery markers stack. I've been calling in fire missions and banking the marker in case I lose Tan.

The RV mission spawned for me on 4, 5, 6, and 7 usually around one hour of playtime in. So yours sounds bugged or something.

I had the RV fully ready to go before I had 10 people. Lately I've been trying to get all the badges on level 7 (most of the way there now) and a side effect is having like 29 people in my group. It's kinda scary having so many. It's crashing a lot more too, just quit to desktop.

I still like powerhouse and heavy weapons for some reason. I SHOULD go edged, but I don't cause I'm a dumbdumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

poo poo. If it is bugged, what can I do to fix it? I've got a good setup going and don't really want to restart again.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Just from playing this game for a long while, I can say most likely not.

That is if it is a bug. I'd let the game idle for a while.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 15, 2014

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

suboptimal posted:

poo poo. If it is bugged, what can I do to fix it? I've got a good setup going and don't really want to restart again.

The RV should be on the map as soon as you join, it's just that Lily eventually starts bugging you about it more and finally finds it herself with *magic*. You could just drive around enough till you find it yourself.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Skandranon posted:

The RV should be on the map as soon as you join, it's just that Lily eventually starts bugging you about it more and finally finds it herself with *magic*. You could just drive around enough till you find it yourself.

For me it's usually up near the original campgrounds to the north.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Yeah, I've been driving around looking for the goddamn thing, including all over the campsites, the fairgrounds, and the farmland between there and my base at Snyder. Can't seem to find it anywhere. Really hoping I don't have to restart my game, because I've got a pretty stellar situation for level six (plenty of ammo, suppressors, distraction devices, explosives and guns along with fully maxed out characters with special abilities.)

Edit: Guess Lily reads this thread. The RV spawned about ten minutes after I posted this- six hours into level 5 :psyduck:

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 17, 2014

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
It's possible to find the RV in the first 10 minutes of starting, and to actually get it ready and leave again without setting up a base at all. Probably even easier to do now that you could load a truck up with a 7 bags of CM and dump them all at once.

However, this is not really advisable... setting up at Savini is dead simple (find car, drive to Savini), and is far more defensible than 'everyone lying about in a parking lot'. Hell, any base is preferable to the RV.

Skandranon fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 18, 2014

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Can you take multiple characters with you when you go up a level in Breakdown? I haven't seen an option to do so and now I'm afraid I'm even dumber than I previously thought :ohdear:

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Gropiemon posted:

Can you take multiple characters with you when you go up a level in Breakdown? I haven't seen an option to do so and now I'm afraid I'm even dumber than I previously thought :ohdear:
Yes, and you're not dumb, plenty of others have missed it as well. Let me dig up my post about it...

Tibeerius posted:

Once you make the decision to load up the RV and move on to the next difficulty level, you have the option to carry over approximately 5 survivors (plus Lily and your current active character). In order to load other survivors into the RV you must either:
- Talk to the people you wish to carry over; an option will be added to their usual dialog choices.
- Use the survivor interface in the notebook, select the survivor, then press the Y button ("E" key on PC).

People who are already on the RV have their portraits updated in the notebook interface, where you can also choose to pull them off the RV in case you change your mind. Lily is automatically loaded and locked into the RV; you can observe the change in her portrait the moment you decide to "move on".

Be sure to sort out their inventory before you leave, because you'll start with almost no influence and won't be able to shuffle things around freely.

Tibeerius fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 18, 2014

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Tibeerius posted:

Yes, and you're not dumb, plenty of others have missed it as well. Let me dig up my post about it...

Wow, so many survivors stranded, so many lives thrown down the drain. Thanks!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Gropiemon posted:

Wow, so many survivors stranded, so many lives thrown down the drain. Thanks!

If it's any consolation, you'll still run into characters you left behind even a few levels later. I left Maya behind at the end of 4, but she popped up again in 6.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Tibeerius posted:

I usually stack as much ammo as I'll use (5.56 mainly) and then 1-2 high influence melee/guns on each character that I take with me. When you start anew, you can dump the ammo and items for influence as you need it. You'll then be easily able to equip whatever you need (snacks, explosives, painkillers) and build outposts / new bases immediately.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I bought this game something like a year ago and only just now am getting around to playing it. I'm enjoying it so far, but I keep getting random hard crashes every 30 minutes or so. There's no warning and no pattern to when they happen, just a BSOD that I think mentions something about graphics drivers, then the computer restarts. If it helps, I have an AMD Radeon 7700 running driver version 13.152.0.0, which Windows says is up to date.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I bought this game something like a year ago and only just now am getting around to playing it. I'm enjoying it so far, but I keep getting random hard crashes every 30 minutes or so. There's no warning and no pattern to when they happen, just a BSOD that I think mentions something about graphics drivers, then the computer restarts. If it helps, I have an AMD Radeon 7700 running driver version 13.152.0.0, which Windows says is up to date.

Same thing happens to me, also with an amd card. I found that turning down the details has helped a bit but the crashes still happen. I'm also using big picture mode which seems to lead to a few hangups.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

After googling around some, I tried a few things like disabling the Steam Overlay for SoD, and adding -fullscreen to the launch options. I was just able to play the game for 2 hours solid until I decided to quit and it soft crashed on exit. I have a couple of .dmp files that it generated, but I don't know how useful they would be.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I have an AMD video card & cpu, Radeon 7950, and the game runs (mostly) flawlessly. Haven't had a BSOD at all, and not a crash to desktop in awhile. I play in fullscreen mode with some of the details turned off, though mainly for better performance.

Ramaroot
Aug 24, 2008

I AM THE FIRE
Hey Arch is your mod still available? The links I found here said it was expired.

I can't seem to find the collection of mods that I like and that work together nicely, but yours looks like a good compilation so far.

El Seven
Jan 15, 2012
Two Million copies of the game have been sold, not including DLC.

And a contest, or something.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ramaroot posted:

Hey Arch is your mod still available? The links I found here said it was expired.

I can't seem to find the collection of mods that I like and that work together nicely, but yours looks like a good compilation so far.

I might have it on a computer somewhere. I'll check and see and post it here if it is.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

You're going to want to use the 14.4 Catalyst drivers for State of Decay. Anything past that has issues.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

State of Decay sold 2 million copies without any advertising.

Plus they're doing an Xbox One version with upscaled graphics and whatnot - Year One Survival Edition.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Party Plane Jones posted:

You're going to want to use the 14.4 Catalyst drivers for State of Decay. Anything past that has issues.

Does anyone ahve a link to this version? AMD's website is only interested in giving me version 14.9, and anything else my quick googling comes up with just redirects to AMD where it keeps doing its poo poo.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

Does anyone ahve a link to this version? AMD's website is only interested in giving me version 14.9, and anything else my quick googling comes up with just redirects to AMD where it keeps doing its poo poo.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous?os=Windows+7+-+64

You could also try Guru3d. There is a thread with the dlls from 14.4 that you can just dump into your State of Decay folder without downgrading but I haven't tried it: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=391527

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Now on Level 8 of Breakdown. Started off at Church of the Ascension, and was resolved to get out of there ASAP given that vast field behind it that seems like zombie Woodstock. This was underscored when I climbed an observation tower, threw a firecracker into a field, and watched 100 zombies come running from every direction to it.

Get a besieged mission. I need more people to move to the base site in town, so I accept. The mission goes off fine, and I move my characters to the more easily defendable location. While I'm running around one of my best characters- a cop with powerhouse, leadership and the "Call for Backup" perk- in setting up outposts, and when we get to the trailer park on the outskirts of town, he goes around a corner to see at least 20 zombies meandering toward him. Then a feral roars.

I get him into a shed with the intent of throwing a few Molotovs to thin them out, but a few zombies follow him in before I can shut the door. I deal with them quickly, shut the door and ready the Molotov when I accidentally press the wrong button and open the loving door right into the feral. My guy didn't stand a chance- got torn to pieces in about 2 seconds.

One of the new characters in my colony is Eli Wilkerson, so at least I know I've got someone who can hold his own while I level up his other stats. The thing that REALLY sucks is that one of my best characters- a firefighter with powerhouse and construction skills- straight up disappeared when I was packing the RV. I filled him up with guns for the influence boost, switch to another character to do the same, and when I try to put the original guy on the RV, he's just gone from the roster. Population went down by 1, but there's no record of him getting killed or anything. Pretty frustrating, but man, loving this game and the initial challenge of each new level.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Party Plane Jones posted:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous?os=Windows+7+-+64

You could also try Guru3d. There is a thread with the dlls from 14.4 that you can just dump into your State of Decay folder without downgrading but I haven't tried it: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=391527

Ok, I finally got around to trying this, and it works. I still get moments where the game hangs for maybe 5 seconds, but instead of hard crashing, it actually goes back to playing the drat game, which is great. Now I can actually attempt to move out of that damned church cause I've picked the whole area clean.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I keep reading mixed things about outposts. Can someone explain how I get bonus resources from them? Do I just have to establish them in buildings that are primarily used for certain things(e.g. fast food places to get food), or do I have to leave a bag of supplies in a building to get that resource from the outpost, and it doesn't matter what the actual building is, or what?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Once you've revealed everything in the place the buildings icon will change to a resource. Turn it into an outpost BEFORE you loot all the resources and it'll give you a bit of that resource every day. You can still loot the bags afterwards, if you can find the containers with them in.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

neogeo0823 posted:

I keep reading mixed things about outposts. Can someone explain how I get bonus resources from them? Do I just have to establish them in buildings that are primarily used for certain things(e.g. fast food places to get food), or do I have to leave a bag of supplies in a building to get that resource from the outpost, and it doesn't matter what the actual building is, or what?

You can also selectively leave bags to decide what kind of resource the outpost will be. Say you have food and construction materials in the same building, take the food and it'll be a material outpost when you set it up.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I see. Do the resources deplete over time, or do they provide an indefinite boost? And currently all my outposts are watchtower icons. I read that that means they're giving me nothing for resources. Is there any way to change that, or am i stuck with all empty outposts near my base because I looted too much too fast?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

neogeo0823 posted:

I see. Do the resources deplete over time, or do they provide an indefinite boost? And currently all my outposts are watchtower icons. I read that that means they're giving me nothing for resources. Is there any way to change that, or am i stuck with all empty outposts near my base because I looted too much too fast?

You can remove outposts and build them at another building, but yeah if you looted everything nearby then you are SOL. Usually I just build the close ones for the protection anyway, keep one empty to place in an area I'm looting, and the rest on whatever resource I think I'll need.

I haven't seen an outpost run out of materials, so if they do it takes a really long time.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm pretty sure that outposts that have the watchtower icon give you a small amount of ammunition a day. I believe it is 1 ammo per watchtower.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

neogeo0823 posted:

Watchtowers still give you ammo, as limp_cheese said. If you're still in Spencer's Mill, don't worry! There are a couple home base sites in Marshall, and a lot more places to loot. If you're playing the 'vanilla' game (not Breakdown or Lifeline), you'll eventually get a mission from Jacob Ritter to check out some new places to live. He'll be standing in the main room at the church waiting for you. I've read that it can be buggy, but I know it doesn't trigger until after the Ed situation is resolved (usually involving the Wilkersons). There are a couple places Jacob doesn't show you (there's a farmhouse near the middle of the map, the Alamo in Marshall, and the Fairgrounds, but you won't be able to get to Fairfield until a little later in the story).

You can surrender outposts from the base-management screen - just click on the outpost at the bottom of the screen. It takes a minute to fully dismantle the outpost, though, and there's also a one-minute (or maybe 2 minutes) cooldown between setting up new outposts. I tend to eventually set up shop at Snyder Trucking, and put outposts in areas that cover most of that side of town. The warehouse behind Snyder, the gas station next to it, and the warehouse across the street cover the base pretty well, and if you're lucky, 2 of those will be Construction outposts. I'll usually make another outpost or two in the western part of Marshall, one in the little cul-de-sac area, one or two in eastern Marshall, and I try to keep one outpost slot open for temporary looting (set one up at, say, Jurassic Junction, clear out all the buildings in the area, then surrender the outpost).

I also prioritize Construction Material outposts, if you can't tell. Food, Medicine, and Fuel aren't huge drains and are pretty easy to find. You can get ammo from Libraries and Watchtowers (the base facilities; it's not always an option), in addition to gun shops (and the police station in Marshall). Construction Materials, however, are used to build/upgrade facilities and make silencers. Try to only have as many CM stocked up as you'll need, because the Wall Repairs event will subtract 10 or 15 (I forget which it is) from your stockpile when it happens. If you don't have materials, you just take a morale hit, and those are easy enough to fix.

Rucks-in-trucks was a great addition, because you can fill up a police car or pickup truck with construction materials, keep it parked near your base, and just make a quick run to the vehicle when you need to build or upgrade something.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 13, 2014

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Just picked up this game over the Steam Halloween sale. Got to the Church, started scavenging after the first medicine mission, and I found some construction things near the safe area. I sent Mark out on a supply run and they died to zombies on the way....Is it just not a good idea to so supply runs? Am I doing something wrong like not clearing out nearby areas before? Should I have made it an outpost instead?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Supply runs I think used to be bugged where you could get double materials. Maybe it still is. But it costs influence and risks lives a bit too much for the benefit. Generally they're not worth it. Sounds like you got super unlucky that a scavenging run that close to your base ended up lethal.

Typically the game doesn't pay attention to things that happen "off screen" but pay attention to things that happen "on screen". What this means is that if you're close enough to the person running to the supply run, any zombies near you will be happy to attack them. And probably kill them. To solve this, if you send NPCs to do something, be sure to not be anywhere near them or where they're going, so that the zombies that spawn to kill you don't exist in their path. They still might be killed, but I think its' a lot less likely.

That's why a neat trick to save your NPC buddies who are being swarmed while you're in a car or something is to drive the hell away from them as fast as you can. Even if they seem totally screwed, they'll be treated as if nothing's wrong if you go far enough away that the zombies aren't spawned in your radius of influence.

Building an outpost is a good idea for construction materials. Be sure to build the outpost when the construction materials are the only items left in the place, then after its construction starts be sure to loot the materials. At that point, looting doesn't affect anything negatively. Also, the outpost right there might help take out some wandering hordes later on, since it's close to the church. It's radius would likely affect any hordes attempting to walk in through the front door. Unfortunately, zombies heading in from the wilderness behind the church will get by.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
The only real purpose of supply runs is when your car/person is full and you're close enough to home that you can just send a guy to grab something real quick. Drive by and see how they're doing and let them finish if they aren't swarmed. You do know you can store backpacks in your vehicle now, right?

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Thanks for all the advice!

I'd been hesitant to use the vehicles much because the narration made it seem like the fuel was really limited or something. Does it change the usage amount based on how you drive or is it fairly lenient with car usage?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Thanks for all the advice!

I'd been hesitant to use the vehicles much because the narration made it seem like the fuel was really limited or something. Does it change the usage amount based on how you drive or is it fairly lenient with car usage?

Cars don't use any fuel, despite the tooltips.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Akumos posted:

The only real purpose of supply runs is when your car/person is full and you're close enough to home that you can just send a guy to grab something real quick. Drive by and see how they're doing and let them finish if they aren't swarmed. You do know you can store backpacks in your vehicle now, right?

Supply runs are best used in conjunction with the "missing resource" glitch, i.e.:

1. Identify a scarce resource
2. Call for a scavenger
3. When you get the "scavengers inbound" notification, load up that resource into a ruck and put it in your car/drop it.
4. Wait until the scavenger gets there, and then approach them for the "supply run- _______ probably has it covered."
5. Safeguard them, escort them home, and benefit from the duplicate resource and the morale/trust boost.

In my latest Breakdown game, now on Level 9, I lost a powerhouse cop with everything maxed out and "call for backup" because he decided to wander off base and get killed by zombies. Thanks, game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Just picked up this game over the Steam Halloween sale. Got to the Church, started scavenging after the first medicine mission, and I found some construction things near the safe area. I sent Mark out on a supply run and they died to zombies on the way....Is it just not a good idea to so supply runs? Am I doing something wrong like not clearing out nearby areas before? Should I have made it an outpost instead?

It took me a couple of early restarts before I realised that characters dying is part of the game and you just need to accept it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Hehe Mark died on like the first tower I ever climbed in the game. I said "Huh, oh well!" after the game switched me to one of the other characters.

• Locked thread