Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Started up at the Wilkerson's Ranch, killed 3 zombies, climbed up the ladder to scout, tried to shoot a zombie who was waiting by the ladder, fell down, mauled and torn in half by feral immediately.

GOTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Is there a fix for the mouse acceleration? This crap is set unbearably high.

Edit: the only links I can find lead to the UL forums which seems to be down.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Johnnyonoes posted:

Can Breakdown only be started after completing the campaign? Just got SoD+BO on steam, but I have already played the SoD campaign to death on the Xbox. Didn't see an option anywhere to start breakdown.

It's badly done, you need to select it before you get to the real menu. Very easy just to mash space through the loading part and go straight into regular mode.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Sylink posted:

Does breakdown fix the retard mouse acceleration on PC?

Nope!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
These fuckers just at 40 snacks in 10 hours. What the hell.

Storage replenished my rear end

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Lasher posted:

So to get "The Scholar" you have to find a "Good Researcher" right? Is there any easier way to get that besides constantly looking out for other survivors? I've been through about 5 enclaves now, killing them all off because they have naff stats.

Yeah, you need a researcher, but the hero you get is useless. Researcher's aren't usually hard to come by, just keep rotating through those enclaves.

Research also stays throughout your playthrough, so if you research everything in BD1 you keep it until you lose.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Renzuko posted:

So, state of decay is the daily deal today at 4.99, is it worth it now?

Yes, get Breakdown.

Maybe lifeline.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Or you could be my brother, and have two people commit suicide when off for one day.

We still can't figure out why, perfect morale, lots of supplies, multiple counselors, no issues.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

NeoSeeker posted:

Are breakdown and the original even worth playing after playing lifeline? I can't stop playing lifeline.

Also do followers ever shoot? Even though my follower has a .50 caliber sniper rifle or a sub machinegun they'd rather use a riot baton.

Breakdown is what the game should have been, since you've played before just rush the first few levels of it. I'm not a huge fan of the original storyline, but it was good for showing new people the ropes.

I can't remember a follower even shooting.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Whistling mines are the most useless thing I have ever seen.

They make noise for 20 seconds, which is great as it attracts even aggro zombies, but the thing is they only notice it once, and when they get near it they forget about it and wander off following a butterfly or something.

I just watched 20 zombies beeline for it and slowly shuffle off out of range. Bonus is the sound spawns in more zombies than it even kills.

This was only at breakdown 5.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Why on earth are people boarding up windows on besieged missions? Just go out there and kill them, bring snacks and pills, fire is a plus. Don't fear the Juggernaut, just avoid it until it's the two of you.

Bring your heavy weapons expert if you want to trivialize this mission, since that leg sweep is an insta kill on a reasonably wide arc. Actually everyone should be a heavy if you are on breakdown, I still can't find a solid reason for the other two weapon types to exist.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Skandranon posted:

The problem is the AI won't do anything other than board windows until ALL windows are at 100% boarded up. This makes them instantly useless... if the 4 of you properly went out and killed poo poo, yeah, they would be trivial.

Because heavy weapons have a slow attack speed, and you'll run out of stamina too quickly if you keep doing that sweep attack. Higher levels require a more careful management of stamina.

The AI in this game is useless in a fight.

If you are running out of stamina with heavy, then you will run out of stamina with any weapon. You should really only be swinging when you will be getting 3-5 zeds in a single sweep.

Edit: And the attack speed is fine, you just have to judge it right. The main issue is it leaves you open for a fraction of a second after the sweep, where you can't roll or body slam anything.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 2, 2014

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bustycops posted:

Is there a consensus on the best way to use supplies and outposts? Such as to get the maximum returns possible.

My problem is I guess I'm just bad at scavenging because I always run out of certain materials, and then dig myself into a hole looking for them.

Outposts barely seem to give materials, it's best just to learn where to scavenge and to use Lilly's ability to find specific resources.

I try to put my outposts on construction materials, but for the most part I just place them where convenient.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

neogeo0823 posted:

I keep reading mixed things about outposts. Can someone explain how I get bonus resources from them? Do I just have to establish them in buildings that are primarily used for certain things(e.g. fast food places to get food), or do I have to leave a bag of supplies in a building to get that resource from the outpost, and it doesn't matter what the actual building is, or what?

You can also selectively leave bags to decide what kind of resource the outpost will be. Say you have food and construction materials in the same building, take the food and it'll be a material outpost when you set it up.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

neogeo0823 posted:

I see. Do the resources deplete over time, or do they provide an indefinite boost? And currently all my outposts are watchtower icons. I read that that means they're giving me nothing for resources. Is there any way to change that, or am i stuck with all empty outposts near my base because I looted too much too fast?

You can remove outposts and build them at another building, but yeah if you looted everything nearby then you are SOL. Usually I just build the close ones for the protection anyway, keep one empty to place in an area I'm looting, and the rest on whatever resource I think I'll need.

I haven't seen an outpost run out of materials, so if they do it takes a really long time.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Thanks for all the advice!

I'd been hesitant to use the vehicles much because the narration made it seem like the fuel was really limited or something. Does it change the usage amount based on how you drive or is it fairly lenient with car usage?

Cars don't use any fuel, despite the tooltips.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Saint Sputnik posted:

No discount for the people who already have it? Boo

33% Discount on Steam

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Oh hey, it's out on Steam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Started a new breakdown game in Year One, climbed a lookout, couldn't get it to finish for some reason, slid down and got immediately mauled by a feral. I'm pretty sure this exact thing happened to me in the original breakdown as well.

I don't learn.

• Locked thread