Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Man these IGN guys sell the game so much better than the UndeadLabs people. Some genuinely pretty loving terrifying things happen to them in this episode. Where the UL livestream from what I saw was mostly them driving around in cornfields.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

IGN review is up, if you've been watching their LP I don't think it'll be a surprise what they gave it.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/05/state-of-decay-review

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lasher posted:

Have I just had poo poo luck finding wood because I have 2 and everyone is exhausted because I can't build more beds. I'm running low on health for all the characters I have and it's only getting worse. :psyduck:

It's actually kinda awesome.

edit: Just clocked a construction site. Bet that'll have some.
Yeah that's the situation I'm in. I want to move to a bigger home base too and that takes an assload of materials. Decisions :ohdear:

If you go into the base menu you can have Lily ask around for resource locations, at least.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MagnumOpus posted:

Anyone have any idea how to start a new Home? I tried putting an Outpost in the Kirkland Residence, which says (Potential Home) but that doesn't seem to have done it. I've got 12 Survivors and no where to bunk them.
There are only a handful of places you can use as a home base, and you don't get the option to move until after a story mission.

Rirse posted:

How do I get survivors to join my base. I saved a bunch of girls at their house, but they are not on the list of residents at the HQ. Need to get someone need to swap to since Marcus got hurted doing something offscreen while Maya just wants to sleep so I can't really use her for the time being.
I think you have to fill up their trust meter. Seems like if you kill hordes and clear out infestations near them they'll eventually ask to join.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is there eventually a way to wait out the night? It takes forever and I really don't like the idea of going spelunking in the super dark evenings by myself, especially with new types of zombies rolling around.
Night is great because you can just run around not giving a gently caress and the zombies will barely notice you.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I know its just random numbers and there's no intent behind it, but jesus christ, having my best guy go missing for a couple hours when I needed him the most was incredibly dramatic. Was on the edge of my seat waiting for some kind of resolution. Now that he's back all I can think about is how I had to eventually put down the last dude that went mysteriously missing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bland posted:

How do I deal with sick survivors at my camp? I heard they turn and start killing people if you leave them alone but I can't do anything but walk up to the guy and say "Hi!"
Sick is just another state like hurt or tired, if it turns bad you'll get a mission to deal with him. If you have an infirmary they get a bonus to their recovery chance, and yeah if you have a doctor its even higher.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

UberJumper posted:

Has anyone figured out the point of the RT emote menu?
If I had to guess, its probably a relic from when this game had multiplayer.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Kind of miss the attachment that it's missing by not having YOUR character. A roster of decently fleshed out NPCs is better than a bunch of randomly generated faceless pawns, but there's still no attachment to anyone for me. The only reason I don't want anyone to die is the loss of time and inventory.
They way they randomly dole out occasionally useful skills makes some dudes pretty valuable to me. Like I would be seriously upset if Marcus died because the Powerhouse skill owns and he gets some amazing actives. It reminds me a little bit of Firaxis' XCOM that way. Your guys are faceless mooks but not totally interchangeable.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think I hit my first big game breaking bug, kinda surprised it took so long considering how jank everything else is. Got one of those missions where you have to completely search an entire building, except one of the hotspots didn't light up so I couldn't fill the meter to finish the mission.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Heavy weapons really aren't worth the trouble it seems, they force you to use way too much stamina for too little gain. I have Marcus using edged weapons and he's such a killing machine that most if not all my edged weapons are in desperate need of repair.
You want to spec heavy weapons on a character with Powerhouse or Reflexes, for the less stamina draining attacks or faster stamina recharge respectively. I can mash pretty hard on my Marcus without having to worry too much about stamina, and if I do run out he can always suplex and piledrive things :unsmigghh:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Exactly how dynamic are the side missions? Like for the last Law mission, the Judge and Sheriff died before I got there, and most of the survivors were like gently caress this and joined my group immediately after. Things left off in such a janky and unsatisfying way that I would totally believe it if you told me that was procedural.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its totally at their whim, but just going out and bringing stuff back to the base naturally raises everyone's trust.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, everything shows up on the map. The only things that are not time limited are scripted missions, everything else expires.

The infestations thing you were talking about is a bug/stupid design decision they're fixing in the next update, right now they get pissed if there are more than a couple houses anywhere on the map.

e:

NESguerilla posted:

Clicking on them in the mission log does nothing and there is nothing telling me if I have failed a mission or not.
Oh wait I understand your confusion now. The journal is totally past-tense and non-interactive. Its just a list of things that have happened, who they happened to, and what the result was. If its not on your map its not happening, present-tense.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 8, 2013

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They do have selective fire yeah. I don't know how the pistol/AR skills compare because I don't use guns enough to level up the shooting skill on anyone, but right now I prefer the ARs personally. Auto is really handy for heavies and ferals if you don't have a car.

Best use of guns for me so far though is throwing kitchen timers at hordes and then headshotting everyone at once with a shotgun. :clint:

Spacebump posted:

I really hope they add co-op now, the game clearly did well.
http://undeadlabs.com/2013/06/news/breaking-records/
Yeah I totally hope they go crazy patching this thing. They hinted last week when they went into cert that they had some "super secret plans" for post-release. They were pretty open about wanting to do co-op and survival modes if the game was a hit, too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you upgrade your watchtower or build a dojo, you should be swimming in offers to train outsiders in exchange for ammo. There are also those trade missions, but they don't happen nearly often enough. Also, the town in the northwest is totally drowning in ammo resources if you haven't been there yet.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Soonmot posted:

So even after starting an outpost, I won't see any change until a day later or so?
It doesn't impact the numbers in the resource tab, but if you look at your journal when you start the game you'll have some entries about finding resources.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't think you have to unlock it, select the radio room in the base menu and you can have Lily call around for survivors or resources.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Korlac posted:

Agreed, but I understand why they don't have any. They're a small start-up production company and probably couldn't afford to license any. HOWEVER, I fully expect State of Decay 2 (With how well this one is selling, you know they'll do another one) to have full tracks in the cars.
First you have to set up your base in the radio station and find a survivor with the DJ skill :v:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You can make some easy ammo resources training outsiders at the fully upgraded watchtower, but ammo is kind of the least important resource and you find it everywhere. So no, I guess not really.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Slayer1597 posted:

I wish your dudes could learn lock picking so you could silently open locked doors.
That's the level 7 wits skill, all doors are unlocked and searching is silent.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think you need building materials for the workshop to repair items/cars, but I'm totally pulling that out of my rear end. Just seems like I use way more resources when I put damaged weapons in storage.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nope, you have to take rucksacks back to base.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They're sending TU2 to cert next week, another $40k down the drain :v:
Here's the draft patch notes. Highlights:

quote:

• You can now manufacture homemade painkillers in the Medical Lab.
  • The rate at which Stockpiles are consumed no longer factors in the number of missions played during the current day. It was causing Stockpile consumption to be too high.
  • You now receive a Stockpile bonus upon claiming a new Home site. Each site comes with a specific number of Stockpiles, based on the size and number of Facility sockets in the site.
  • Lily no longer reminds you to come to the final mission site. It was annoying during sandbox play after winning final mission.
  • Searching for Stockpiles with the radio is now more reliable.
  • Made it easier to execute "Double Kill" move.
They also made all the multi-day facility actions only take a couple of hours at most.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rookersh posted:

So, how do Outposts work? I ransacked the fast food place in the first town, and found the two medical bags. Decided to set up an outpost there, and it's telling me something about the steps to set it up. Yet nobody is coming to actually build the place up at all. I told it to start setting up traps, but the bar isn't moving at all. Do I actually have to go around and do that?

I also grabbed a bag of the medicine, and ran it back to my base, since we were almost all out, but left the other bag there. About how long does that stuff last? Should I have just left both bags?
It all happens immediately when you press the button. Check out the map and you'll notice the safe zone gets bigger after you order the traps. They mostly only trigger on passing hordes, though.

Any resources in the building get eaten when you turn it into an outpost, and then the outpost will trickle out whatever resource was most plentiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Honestly, calling someone your main dude is just setting yourself up for disaster. Sure I think Marcus totally wrecks poo poo, but its a good idea to spread the experience around a crew of heavy hitters. Unless everyone's tired then go crazy with the trucker speed.

• Locked thread