Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

DONT DO IT posted:

Everyone needs to experience forgetting to unequip a grenade launcher at least once.

I started a new game the other day and got some army guy in my group and he goes up into the watchtower at the church and I hear *fwoomp KBOOM fwoomp KBOOM fwoomp KBOOM* as all these white dots light up all over the map.

Do survivors have infinite ammo or are they actually limited to their inventory?

e:

Mister Adequate posted:

She and Lyanna Carter are two of my favorite heroes and almost always my most badass ones.

My favorite character right now is a rando named Gracie Magnusson, wearing a brown leather jacket and armed with a mod-added crossbow. Is there a way to export characters?

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

I like this guy's contradictory set of traits, I might let him on the RV after all.

Wish I'd thought to get a screenshot of the cop car I was driving that shot 30 feet straight up in the air for no apparent reason.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

suboptimal posted:

Big mistake.

I had to set my level 6 game aside because I lost another couple of survivors I was hoping to pick up when just about every manner of superzed mobbed us near that graveyard. Hoping to at least get to 7 so I can unlock the mod-added grandma.

Also holy crap I just found out today you can turn on the police car's lights and sirens with Ctrl. Teasing zombies as I drive away is so much more fun this way.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Ugghhh my worst deaths are when I've got a companion and we pick up a survivor and so I think I'm rolling deep enough to wade into zombie-heavy resource zones on the trip home. Lost three people in Lifeline like that last night. I feel like there's a lesson there about greed, or at least about not bringing enough molotovs.
----
I've jumped around the thread catching up a little so I may have missed it, but have we talked about all the zombie pop culture references in the game? The little "Vote Richard Grimes for Sheriff" and "Nick and Simon's Landscaping" yard signs? and then there's this:

Plants vs. Zombies

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Lifeline is pretty loving tough, I've started a new game three or four times by now because I feel lovely when I get a bunch of dudes killed at once. Or call in an artillery strike too close to where I park all my cars.

I like the map a lot though, wish there was a reason/leisure time given to walk around and take it all in instead of driving furiously past everything.

Meanwhhile in my latest Breakdown game: you have got to be shittin' me.

Good thing I've got an assload of steel pipe bombs, aka Zom-B-Gone.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

I'm used to the vehicles parked at my base spontaneously all exploding on occasion, but this... this is something else.

Looks like TruckMech is beginning to assemble itself, starting with the leg.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Sober posted:

Wow, Lifeline is whooping my butt. Is there ever a reason to spec into shotguns? I feel like I should just do the always-works spec into a melee weapon and give no fucks about guns since you can fire them all good anyways (and I play with a controller too). Most of the time a shotgun blast from too far away will just knock a zed on its feet and this has caused me to lose people as I loving weave around avoiding zombies in the base whereas if I had an assault weapon I just headshot things like nobody's business. Hell, I practically only used pistols in the base game and that generally serves me well for the downtime moments between sieges.

I'm having a real hard time with Lifeline too, and part of it is because of how used to melee weapons I am from Breakdown.* Melee weapons tire you out long before the clump of zombies you're fighting has been winnowed down; I should probably start relying on guns even more. But no, not shotguns, the drawbacks outnumber the benefits.

*The other part is what bullshit it is to find someone downed and even after you kill off every zombie around them, they still decide they want to go out in a blaze of stupid. Rest in pieces, Sasquatch, you stupid rear end in a top hat. Solo supply run wasn't such a good idea, was it Kilo? Say hi to your wife and kid for me, you colossal nincompoop. I've lost count of the number of times my two-man rescue squad and the dumb civilian they're trying to save all get torn to shreds.

I decided to try something different on my umpteenth restart, and I took my time gathering supplies and building up my base for about a good uninterrupted hour before taking the first doctor to the helipad. Then instead of gathering supplies, I could spend the next hour amassing an army of rescued soldiers.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Listen to these scrubs who don't use a replica medieval weapon to slay zeds with.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Mountain Lightning posted:

I lost him to that loving "Go beat a juggernaut to death with melee" mission Sasquatch has you do.

In related news Sasquatch is no longer with us, having valiantly held off a number of zombies in a base defense mission while I pointed and laughed.

I successfully killed the big fucker but Sasquatch died on the way back because I got my car stuck on the scenery and he was to dumb to crawl down off the roof so a feral ate him.

I'd love to have 'Squatch as a survivor in Breakdown. There's a mod that adds Lifeline characters and some others, but I've read mixed reports on whether it works with QJMS. Anyone know?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

glug posted:

Screw Vienna Cho.

I've got a little crush on the lady with the weird hick accent that says "we done turtlin'?" all the time.

Why is she so concerned with whether or not I have to poop anyway?

Maaan, I am gonna have to take some shiiiits

e:

Archonex posted:

Which mod is this? I was trying to manually add them into the mod pack I was making, but I ran into a hitch when I discovered that the latest version of QMJS has a showstopping bug. Apparently the enclaves file causes a crash when starting a new Breakdown game, which means you either have to run without some of the mod features or I need to find a fix myself first.

This one
http://www.nexusmods.com/stateofdecay/mods/131/

I've read different things about whether or not it's compatible with Q, haven't tried it myself.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 15, 2014

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

beats for junkies posted:

Then they shouldn't ask for my help. :colbert: Getting lit on fire is like a rite of passage for my survivors.

It actually wasn't quite that bad. I think I only burned one of the guys once because he wouldn't stop barricading one of the windows in a room, even when a horde broke through the other window and started pouring in, so I rolled out of the room and hurled a molotov back into it (and I did see the "Trust lost: Ally set on fire" message), then shotgun-blasted the room to get any stragglers. And I set myself on fire a couple of times because of the splash from the fire trap things that I'm forgetting the name of.

The only mod I'm using right now is Brant's Military Surplus, which adds the DLC weapons to the other game modes. In addition, Breakdown weapons are no longer twice as likely to spawn. Also:

Trying to find that, I stumbled upon the SoD Nexus (I was just using the official forum and didn't even know there was a State of Decay Nexus). Luckily, I haven't stumbled across anything terrible like a "White Marcus" mod, but I didn't look too hard. Gazing into the abyss and all. Anyway, Upgrade Built-in Facilities sounds like something you might be interested in. I am, now that I've seen it. :)

Unrelated to mods, I can't believe it took me until a few days ago to see the skull in the State of Decay logo. The round curves in the wings are the eye sockets, the tail feathers are the teeth, and the bit in the middle is the nose.

Install the crossbow mod and you'll never want to use anything else. There's a patch for it to work with Mil Surplus.

Red Mundus posted:

I did the same but quadrupled the number of zombie spawns.

It's insane. I basically can't scavenge entire houses and on several occasions needed to pack poo poo and leave asap when zeds started lining up at the door. It's so fun because it actually means that I get to use some of the items and skills I never would've like diving through windows and even barricading to buy more time. Mines and explosives are a good send for hordes. I'll enter a house quickly clear it and since I'm making all this racket 20+ zeds will slowly shuffle towards you and start breaking doors and windows. It's really intense. Need to mod out running and special zeds like that poster did though otherwise it just gets annoying.

I want to know why jostling a jar of pickles while rummaging through a fridge attracts every zombie in the tri-state area, but hammering on a few dozen nails doesn't.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

No discount for the people who already have it? Boo

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Bondematt posted:

33% Discount on Steam

Oh, rad, there wasn't last time I checked.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Year One trip report: graphics are different but hard to say yet whether they're "better" because my game froze about 5 minutes in while I was driving through a horde, but on the plus side I was doing it while using a new character it gave me and while driving a new vehicle.

UI was overhauled which is a little disorienting, seems like change for the sake of change. Combat feels faster but also jerkier, as if it's only faster because they removed animation frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Danith posted:

Do mods work on the newest version? Have the original + DLC's but the updated graphics are tempting me to buy it next time it goes on sale

Some have been updated, and they usually specify right away if they're compatible or not. No crossbow mod has been updated yet because of the way YOSE handles items or something, which sucks because SoD isn't worth playing without crossbows.

• Locked thread