Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Is having the blood removed counted as a repair because I can remember it happening a few times after sieges, they seem to act as an end of day event, but yeah it takes a long time to repair anything other than that. Can the Steaming radiator actually be fixed or is it permanent and they can only do body work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Anyone able to recommend some similar games to this? Its given me an itch for character progression/base building but both those systems are a bit too light to completely satisfy me. Lifeline is decent but without a restart mechanic like breakdown it gets cleared a bit too fast. It feels like its been forever since I've played another good base building/defense game the last one I can remember was one of the Fallout: New Vegas mods.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, there is Dead State its a bit more of a traditional RPG but looks to have some good base building. But yeah the best thing would just be the next State of Decay, put some more polish on the engine and just more maps, a better character progression system, and a deeper base building. Will definitely have to try out the Mod compilation Archonex posted, looks like pretty much what I want was just wondering if anyone knew about any similar games.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

Horn posted:

I think I paid 2.75 for this game and I still feel ripped off years later. It's incredibly bad, and not in a way that makes it endearing. Just an unplayable pile of poo poo.

I Nth the wish for more games like SOD. Maybe even something not zombie based would be nice since I'm pretty tired of the zombie trope at this point but that said SOD2 would still be a day 1 purchase for me.

I wanted to say something about how Fort Zombie wasn't terrible but it was. All the time I actually spent trying to play the game was more spent fighting the terrible systems it had instead of beating down zombies. But that goes to show how starved we are for a good third person base defense/survival game because between that game in 2009 and this game I can't remember any other non mods that did well enough.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

Archonex posted:

Fort Zombie was pretty moddable though. I remember I despised it until I picked up a mod that made it a bit better. Also, digging into the files revealed that you could allow for Breakdown style play by ramping the days until the final siege way the heck up.

The controls were abysmal though. I can't even remember what was wrong with them other than that fighting was an exercise in frustration. I think I ended up tweaking something that made it slightly more tolerable later on.

Really, Fort Zombie plays sort of like a proto SoD though. If you've played SoD you've seen all it has to offer. Heck, everything from the raiding of neighborhoods to get supplies to the sieges in Lifeline are there in a more primitive capacity.

Yeah the combat and the health systems were the worst. It was impossibly hard to kill zombies the gun system made it that even with great skills you could waste a lot of ammo killing a single zombie and the melee system while not bad didn't kill fast enough or give you a way to deal with a horde without getting hit. Then once you got hit you could heal 10% of your max health once per day but each hit did 30-50% and status effects took days to remove. The base building was very minor as well only able to make traps and barricades to defend against the final siege.

Never new about the mods or being able to increase the days to final siege, that was my biggest problem with it usually. Just staying alive took most of your runs into town so by the end you barely had enough ammo, weapons, or survivors to be able to hold off the couple hundred zombies you had to deal with.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
God, I've got 50+ hours on record for this game and I just learned that you can bring up the shout menu with Caps Lock. It seems only Taunt for attracting zombies and Cheer for both increasing Npc's Friendliness and Mood actually work but just those have helped out a poo poo ton, not having someone go right back to being a moody bitch after a mission to get them out of their funk is freaking huge.

The more I play this game the more I can't wait for Class 4 to finally hit, just basically the same drat game with more everything would be great but it is somewhat worrying that they might spend a bit too much time and effort trying to make it an MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Or at the very least something like a mission system so the dudes sitting at base have something to do besides pick their noses. Will have to wait to see how the combat changes look but for just the graphics overhaul anything more than $10 seems silly.

• Locked thread