Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Wow. I just had a great Breakdown moment. I started a new game with a random survivor who turned out to be an alcoholic pack-a-day smoker with Sports Trivia and Beer Pong. I spawned near the fairgrounds, and took out the first couple of zombies. I looted a couple of nearby military stashes and got a stack of grenades and a rifle, but no food or medicine. Checked the map to see what enclaves I could join up with, and my choices were the church in Spencer's Mill, the farmhouse, and the Alamo. I went for Spencer's Mill, because I figured I could clear out the town and try to build up supplies (and skills) before moving to Snyder Trucking and/or the RV.

It only took about five minutes of jogging/sprinting to find a pickup truck, so the trip to the church wasn't too bad. But when I got there, a screamer and a bunch of zombies (but not technically a Horde) were just hanging out in the parking lot, and they immediately honed in on me before I could take out the screamer. I eventually managed to smash through the gate (getting 'downed' twice in the process - still no food or medicine) and tried closing it, but kept kicking at the zombies because they were rushing through. Then the gate closed on its own. I was almost totally out of stamina, so I staggered towards the church, hoping to at least get some help from the other survivors. There was a zombie in the yard between me and the door. In the time it took to jump-kick him and get back up, the rest of the zombies had busted through the gate and rushed me. I went down for the third and final time at the bottom of the steps, literally at their doorstep, and not once did I see any other survivors fighting any of the zombies.

But, thanks to the military stash, I managed to pull out a grenade and drop it, unlocking The Sacrifice, Erik Tan! Except that he uses Alan's voice set (the rear end in a top hat ranger in the base game). Still, it's better than starting with a random lovely survivor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Pander posted:

There still ARE missions in Breakdown, and they are time-limited. But I generally ignore the ones I don't want or need to do. Knock out a special zombie? Sure, lemme bring a car and run it over. Defend against a siege? gently caress. OFF.

Breakdown is pretty great. Someone (very likely earlier in this thread) described vanilla as basically an extended tutorial for Breakdown, and that's a good way to put it. I had an Enclave with the "Besieged" mission sitting on the map for the last few days. Other missions came and went, and I actually ended up meeting another enclave just down the street from that one. Earlier today, I went over there to see how they were doing with their siege that wasn't actually a siege yet and noticed that the trust bar was almost full. I figured "maybe this will be the last mission before they get full trust and I can recruit them, then send 2 of the 3 off to die because they're going to be useless drains on my supplies." So I went to my nearby police station outpost, loaded up on shotgun shells and fire, and did the mission. Of course, after ten minutes of hammering planks over windows, setting the survivors (and myself) on fire, and shooting zeds in the face, the trust bar only rose by half of what I needed. :(

Then, as I was headed back to my nearby truck, I saw the second juggernaut on the road. Well, it's more accurate to say that he saw me. I still had about 15 rounds for my shotgun, and 2 molotovs left, so I figured it wouldn't be a problem. Well, the first couple blasts attracted a bunch of zeds, so I had to run into the back yard. I burned a bunch of them, but the juggernaut kept coming, so I started running around the house to catch him up on the walls. Threw another molotov at him, but it missed, so I ran up and blasted him a couple more times. I finally took him down with 1 shotgun shell left.

And THEN, when I finally got back to my truck and started driving off, I heard another juggernaut roaring.

gently caress that Enclave. They can deal with it or die.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Skandranon posted:

I think I found your problem. Enclaves don't trust you more when you set them on fire.

Then they shouldn't ask for my help. :colbert: Getting lit on fire is like a rite of passage for my survivors.

It actually wasn't quite that bad. I think I only burned one of the guys once because he wouldn't stop barricading one of the windows in a room, even when a horde broke through the other window and started pouring in, so I rolled out of the room and hurled a molotov back into it (and I did see the "Trust lost: Ally set on fire" message), then shotgun-blasted the room to get any stragglers. And I set myself on fire a couple of times because of the splash from the fire trap things that I'm forgetting the name of.

Horn posted:

Are there any mods that improve the game without messing with it too much? Maybe stuff like additional balanced weapons, better textures, or more interesting home bases? Someone mentioned mods in the steam thread which could be fun but I'm wary of nexus reviews

The only mod I'm using right now is Brant's Military Surplus, which adds the DLC weapons to the other game modes. In addition, Breakdown weapons are no longer twice as likely to spawn. Also:

Mod Description posted:

Certain vanilla guns like the M249 light machine gun and BZ 75 ST were previously missing from the loot lists entirely, they've been re-added and are now able to spawn in the appropriate places.

Trying to find that, I stumbled upon the SoD Nexus (I was just using the official forum and didn't even know there was a State of Decay Nexus). Luckily, I haven't stumbled across anything terrible like a "White Marcus" mod, but I didn't look too hard. Gazing into the abyss and all. Anyway, Upgrade Built-in Facilities sounds like something you might be interested in. I am, now that I've seen it. :)

Unrelated to mods, I can't believe it took me until a few days ago to see the skull in the State of Decay logo. The round curves in the wings are the eye sockets, the tail feathers are the teeth, and the bit in the middle is the nose.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 1, 2014

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

neogeo0823 posted:

I see. Do the resources deplete over time, or do they provide an indefinite boost? And currently all my outposts are watchtower icons. I read that that means they're giving me nothing for resources. Is there any way to change that, or am i stuck with all empty outposts near my base because I looted too much too fast?

Watchtowers still give you ammo, as limp_cheese said. If you're still in Spencer's Mill, don't worry! There are a couple home base sites in Marshall, and a lot more places to loot. If you're playing the 'vanilla' game (not Breakdown or Lifeline), you'll eventually get a mission from Jacob Ritter to check out some new places to live. He'll be standing in the main room at the church waiting for you. I've read that it can be buggy, but I know it doesn't trigger until after the Ed situation is resolved (usually involving the Wilkersons). There are a couple places Jacob doesn't show you (there's a farmhouse near the middle of the map, the Alamo in Marshall, and the Fairgrounds, but you won't be able to get to Fairfield until a little later in the story).

You can surrender outposts from the base-management screen - just click on the outpost at the bottom of the screen. It takes a minute to fully dismantle the outpost, though, and there's also a one-minute (or maybe 2 minutes) cooldown between setting up new outposts. I tend to eventually set up shop at Snyder Trucking, and put outposts in areas that cover most of that side of town. The warehouse behind Snyder, the gas station next to it, and the warehouse across the street cover the base pretty well, and if you're lucky, 2 of those will be Construction outposts. I'll usually make another outpost or two in the western part of Marshall, one in the little cul-de-sac area, one or two in eastern Marshall, and I try to keep one outpost slot open for temporary looting (set one up at, say, Jurassic Junction, clear out all the buildings in the area, then surrender the outpost).

I also prioritize Construction Material outposts, if you can't tell. Food, Medicine, and Fuel aren't huge drains and are pretty easy to find. You can get ammo from Libraries and Watchtowers (the base facilities; it's not always an option), in addition to gun shops (and the police station in Marshall). Construction Materials, however, are used to build/upgrade facilities and make silencers. Try to only have as many CM stocked up as you'll need, because the Wall Repairs event will subtract 10 or 15 (I forget which it is) from your stockpile when it happens. If you don't have materials, you just take a morale hit, and those are easy enough to fix.

Rucks-in-trucks was a great addition, because you can fill up a police car or pickup truck with construction materials, keep it parked near your base, and just make a quick run to the vehicle when you need to build or upgrade something.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 13, 2014

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
Ed doesn't make it because you never get the doc to stop by. I had Ed die in my first or second game and I'm pretty sure that was the reason.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 15, 2015

• Locked thread