Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Managed to squeeze 45 min in before heading to work today. Seems fun! Found a Glock in a random house after the campsite stuff and a bunch of ammo. Blasted through it all before just reading now that resources are finite...oops. :downs:

Is there character to character trading or do I have to go through the stash (which seems to cost reputation)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Love Shovel posted:

Has anyone found a good tactic against the "sleeping" zombies yet? They'll die to one well-timed swing but I'd rather not have them lunge at me at all.

Are these different from the zombies laying around that will sometimes wake up? I usually try the stealth takedown around them and it takes them down easy enough.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Croccers posted:

Downloaded the demo from the US, tossing up if I want to cough up for some US points and just get it through that or fiddle around in the demo until the stop sitting on their hands and classify the game.
But... what's with the widescreen TV's in the tents?

I'm guessing one of the tents belongs to Tom Haverford.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rgJwKZ2TZc

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Speedball posted:

Hey, neat. If you have ordered a construction project, quit the game and come back an hour later it'll be done. Construction projects are real-time!

I discovered something else Outposts are good for. Upgrade one to set traps and it'll blow up zombie hordes that wander in there. You even get points for it.

I think the game world persists in real-time according to some article a while back. I mean you won't log in to find your outpost overrun by zombies or anything if you don't play for a week but I guess *stuff happens* while you're not playing the game.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Rirse posted:

I'm liking it a lot so far, but man I can't find any material. I just want to get some beds so I can speed up the long rear end nights.

I'm guessing it's random but the garage/workshop south of the church (like a 30 second run) was chock full for me.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Rirse posted:

I honestly don't know, I just hoping for a option to sleep instead of barely seeing at night and sending the "B-Team" out. Also I can't get the radio to work, as nobody responses when I select the option for the various food bundles I find.

You kind of have to hold the Y button a bit, doesn't register a press always. There's a few other button presses like that too. Pressing down on the d-pad while in a building should get you the radio menu too.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

Also, has anyone figured out how to get other survivor groups to join you? There are three separate survivor groups that I know of, and they all trust me and like me, but I can't figure out how to invite them to my headquarters. I've lost a few people and we're short-staffed now - plus I want to move to a new home, and the site I'm eyeing will require even more people to secure.

If a survivor group turns green on the map from trust or whatever, you can head over there and talk to them with the Y button and a dialog will pop up where you can let them join you or tell them to gently caress off or whatever. Try to check out their stats/expertise if you can first instead of randomly letting everyone join you like I did. :v:

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Bland posted:

How do I deal with sick survivors at my camp? I heard they turn and start killing people if you leave them alone but I can't do anything but walk up to the guy and say "Hi!"

Do you have a doctor at your camp? And/or medicine? Early on they said medicine can keep an infection in check but I'm guessing a doctor is needed to get them healed.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Maya died. :smithcloud: I had just finished the Doc mission, was out of ammo and was tired. I was driving back to the church when an army mission must've spawned on the house I was driving past, so I got warped into a cutscene. The cutscene finished and army dudes were hanging out at the front door so I thought "sweet, protection while I ransack the house!" I loudly started to search the house, triggering a few loud noise warnings, and checked to make sure the army dudes didn't despawn, and continued into the last bedroom.

As I was searching the last kids dresser or whatever it was, a proverbial toilet began to flush a diarrhea of zombies into the bedroom I was in. Immediately surrounded, Maya was flailing around with a damaged machete, trying to make it to a window, and instead turned into repeatedly pressing B when I got grabbed and then mashing A when I was downed. She didn't last long, but at least her end was climatic by being ripped in half. There had to have been 25 zombies and me in that tiny room. I didn't even have time to firebomb myself between button prompts, it was pretty gross.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

I was clearing an infestation, but got outnumbered quickly and was with a guy who apparently had the stamina of my grandma. I booked it with a horde chasing me, no cars around, and got up a survey tower where luckily they couldn't reach me. I swapped over to another survivor at base and then drove out to see if I could "rescue" myself, but the dude wasn't in the tower where I left him. I checked the character sheet and it said he was "away from home" and I swapped to him and got the "Returning Home" loading screen and he loaded up right at the church.

Apparently if you have a dude in trouble, get to a safe spot and swap out for someone else, they'll make it home just fine.

Fake edit: I also found people will take guns out of the stash on their own, might be for the "defend the base" missions though. You fuckers better not touch my fancy SMG. :argh:

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Last night I got a random missing survivor mission but it was another camp's survivor, not ours. I helped them out, we found the dude, and it turned out the guy wanted us to kill him. His friend and him were debating his decision while I was clanging around, loudly searching a toolbox, which attracted a horde.

The dude and I start fighting the horde while his friend cowers in a corner wanting us to shoot him. He calls out "zombies coming straight ahead!" but doesn't help fight at all. It's not looking good for us, there's a screamer in the mix, and I've got a new survivor with barely any skills. The dude I'm helping eventually gets overwhelmed and downed. I don't remember his last words but he goes out with a bang, literally blowing himself up with a grenade.

I lose morale points because the explosion hurt the dude that wanted us to kill him.

With the explosion, all the zombies are now dead, and this dude who wants to die is still alive and his friend who wanted to live is now dead. All because he didn't help us. I left him there, alive, with his buddies gibbed corpse.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

- Be ready for a second round. You have to face two of them.

I saw the 2nd one wandering up the path, and had zero ammo and firebombs left and no reputation so thought I was screwed. Then the dude on the second floor ends up headshotting him and he drops instantly. :v:

MikeRabsitch fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 7, 2013

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Rabid Pancake posted:

By strategically putting the 6 outposts at the road entrances to the northern town I've managed to pretty much lock that town down almost to the point where we can grill out.

That's a good idea. I put mine at odd ends of the map so I have quick access to my stash no matter where I'm at. I've been playing around with filling a rucksack and switching to other survivors to see if that's a quick way to build resources but I think they just leave the sack at the nearest outpost.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

jwh posted:

Reading user reviews, it's weird how people seem pretty evenly split between 'it's too easy' and 'it's way too hard'.

I was kind of hoping it'd be harder, but I'm a glutton for punishment. I haven't lost anyone yet, and while I can see how things can become very bad very quickly, I've been able to just leap out of houses and book it for the truck in every situation. Maybe I've just been very lucky.

People you're not controlling can die if they try doing missions themselves, or if you leave them missing too long. My one death and other close-encounters are usually from impatience with searching or getting myself into bad situations without a car around.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Sometimes there will be an infestation at an undiscovered location. One of the construction houses in the first town was infested but since I never discovered it I couldn't see it on the map. Fields can be infested as well and unless you drive through them they're probably "undiscovered".

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

I think I've had a workshop for 4 irl days and my cars never seem to be getting repaired. I have about ten of them and they're all on black smoke. Is it because I don't have some mechanic/workshop master?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Are you parking them in the right place?

Crap, probably not! I was assuming the parking lot perk applied to the whole church parking lot.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

The infestations are out of control now, people instantly go missing whenever they do anything. I think I'm going to hit all the survey points again to see if I can spot the infestations.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

You do get random zombies that scale the barbed-wire fence no problem coming in at Snyder but it hasn't been an issue for me yet. I put up a few outposts too and while people still go missing they're usually in the single-room minimart or gas station next to it which are pretty easy to clear. There's an ammo store and a factory pretty close which make good outposts for the resource regen and also serve as frontline horde-killers.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

I backed a pickup truck into a wall just as zombies were leaping over it, leading to the zombies standing on the truck. The vehicle physics didn't like that one bit. I didn't see where the truck landed.

I have plenty of guns and ammo and weapons now where I'm starting to get a little cocky again, which can only lead to someone getting ripped in half pretty soon. With all the people that go missing I kind of consider them all whiny babies now so at least when one finally bites it I won't feel too bad. Hope that patch comes through soon.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

^^^^^ That's pretty awesome/lucky. I definitely take a gun to all the hunting missions now, things can go sour quickly.

Drakenel posted:

*Whistles innocently while looking at his group of 23 survivors*

I may just be good at this game, I'm thinking. Haven't had anyone die in a long time.

Your poor resources. :(

I've had wild survivor population swings, you should get enough to move eventually. Keep an eye out for any of the "help our friends" side missions, those will usually net you 1-3 survivors. I'm not sure if they're a result of using the radio room to find survivors or not. Finding anything with the radio has been hit or miss for me throughout my game, but I do get hits occasionally.

MikeRabsitch fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 10, 2013

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Half my camp died when the preacher turned while I was away, pretty annoying.

...that can happen? Kind of sucks for you but that's awesome. Mine was mercy killed right away.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Slayer1597 posted:

Is there a Limited amount of Survivors I can rescue?

Also is there any word when the guard tower and infestation bugs will be fixed?

Also the fixing of cars?

Survivors are randomly generated, I don't think they run out but there might be a limit on how many can join your party.

The patch is in MS certification, could come out in a day or in a few weeks.

Car fixing is fine I think? You get one to four actual parking spots where a car will be fixed (check how many in the upgrade facility menu). If you scout around outside you'll see a parking sign, park there to have that car fixed.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Cerebral Wolf posted:

Anyone know if the infinite items thing is getting changed in the patch?

E; posting from a phone is bad.

I'm still not convinced it's truly infinite resources, on return trips all the containers are reset to searchable again but I get a lot of "nothing found" in them. Sometimes I'll get ammo or a consumable but I don't think I've seen an actual resource material "respawn" like that. I haven't done a lot of testing with it though.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

I actually had a give 15 food for 3 ammo which I took in a heartbeat. It was about 3 hours into a session so maybe the trades take a while to kick in.

As for homes, I found the warehouse by getting lost and kind of wish I hadn't, it probably would've been more fun slowly finding better and better homes and moving to a couple different places. I sunk so many resources into this one though I don't see myself leaving.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

Let me just say that a game released in 2013 not having multiple save slots is loving criminal. Seriously, there is absolutely no reason for that.

Pretty sure it was a design choice because of the permadeath.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

If you have an offline/throwaway profile you should be able to use that for a separate save too.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Croccers posted:

God dammit. I hoped this wasn't the answer :(

The other answer is to sprint normally in the game, which most people don't really do because cars.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Croccers posted:

I don't like sprinting around too far just because I don't want to get jumped with no stamina and I don't tend to carry snacks on my guys.
My general wandering loadout is a high-capacity firearm, 1-2 melee weapons depending on their quality, a full stack of healing items and a full stack of firebottles. Sometimes I'll have clocks/firecrackers.

Snacks are actually a limited resource in my game since I put them on everyone, getting caught out without stamina is a good way to die! Learned that the hard way. :) I usually rock snacks, meds, one firearm, and one melee.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Kymera posted:

Does anyone have a munitions workshop? What does it do?

I don't have one but I'm pretty sure it lets you build the throwable explosives.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Coyo7e linked something on the forums which said the patch is likely tomorrow. I'll have a bit of time this weekend so keeping my fingers crossed. I hope the radio to find resources gets fixed too, I now have zero ammo after having about ten when I played two days ago, don't know what the hell happened. Ironically I have about 200 rounds of every caliber in my stash. :v:

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

Same here, downloading now. Woo!

e: First thing I noticed is that there's actually someone manning the watchtower. Hopefully the other bugs were successfully fixed too.

e2: I still have the 'Too Many Infestations' modifier. :ohdear: Going to check and see if there are any around me that I missed.

You can still get too many infestations, but now it only pops up if they are 500 meters within your base (I think). Do a run of survey spots around you. Sometimes you have to drive pretty close to a building to discover them as well.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Can anyone confirm that the patch fixes have fixed their game or will it only affect new games?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

I only have one fuel outpost but it gives me +3 fuel per day somehow. I rarely use the bombs so it adds up pretty quick.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Nerolus posted:

Where are these infestations that everyone is so freaked out about? Because I only saw one on my map near my base and I destroyed it. They're still freaked, I just lost more morale and can't find a drat thing besides random hordes nearby in the streets every once in a while.

They won't show up on your map unless you discover them. They can appear in places you've already discovered, so you can check with a survey point or driving around. Only infestations in a 500m radius from your base will cause the morale loss.

AcidCat posted:

On that topic, anyone know how you can increase your limit of outposts?

It depends on the size of your base and eight is the cap for the larger bases.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Count Mippipopolous posted:

But really only two things disappointed me in this game:
1. No shooting from the car windows.

I guess this would be pretty cool if cars weren't already overpowered zombie killing machines.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Lotish posted:

I haven't spent much time in the area past the bridges in either of my playthroughs. Just the brief time I spent there doing the story missions the first time felt hectic in an unpleasant way. I can scare imagine trying to live there.

I haven't played much since discovering the fairgrounds but it's a maze where you can't really get vehicles into, and if you run out of cardio there's a good chance you'll die. I got into a vicious cycle of stumbling upon a gun, firing it dry into a horde chasing me, which only attracted more zombies so I'd have to stumble to another gun. Repeat forever. Somehow made it out eventually, the B button dodge works wonders sometimes.

I think I'll rush to the ending soon as waiting for the second update is taking forever and I'm slowly moving onto other games. :(

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Why aren't my cars being repaired at Snyder? It has a built-in workshop. I thought at worst without a mechanic the body/tires would get repaired but it doesn't seem like it. Do I keep looking for survivors hoping for a mechanic?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You're parking them in the spaces, right? I was accidently parking cars in between them and it wouldn't repair.

I'm pretty sure. I feel dumb since I posted here a lot in June helping people out and now I'm stumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Tibeerius posted:

I don't know if it's a problem with Breakdown, a Title Update, or myself, but my "success" in flipping over cars has skyrocketed. Is this happening to anyone else?

I've been experiencing this too, but I haven't played since June and forgot what it was like back then. All I remember is the car physics have always been a little goofy.

• Locked thread