Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I'm a huge fan of SoD. I had no idea what it was when it came out for Steam. I've played through it three times now and consider it to be one of the best indie games I've ever played. If they need more time to work on the DLC, I won't complain. I'd prefer the end result be concentrated on higher quality and not a deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
For anyone interested in State of Decay but haven't purchased it yet, it's currently on sale on Steam for like $13.39. Get it now on the cheap and play the expansion coming out in two days.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/241540/

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I bought it the day it came out on Steam so there was no M/K support yet. I bought a cheap $18 Logitech gamepad and still use it to play SoD.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I started at the Alamo. Did they add any new Homesites?

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

gimpfarfar posted:

I feel really dumb. I've bought the DLC, started up the game, but I see no option to start a new Breakdown game. Do I have to complete the vanilla campaign to get the option to do so, or am I missing something?

Running it on Steam? On your list of games in the "Library" tab, right click on State of Decay, then on View Downloadable Content. It should give you a list of DLC for SoD, saying "State of Decay - Breakdown." That'll help to confirm if it's installed at least.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Le0 posted:

I'm playing vanilla and wondering about outpost placing? My home is at Snyde.
Any suggestions?

It depends on your playstyle.

I usually build my base in an urban area and try to make outposts as close as possible so I have a "defensive perimeter" around me. I love the Snyder Warehouse and will usually build an outpost at the electric station to the north, a few of the warehouses to the south, and maybe a gunshop. However, you also need to make sure you're pulling the correct resources (materials are top priority).

If you're doing a lot of scavenging far from home, building an outpost far from home allows you put things into storage without running all the way back. Building an outpost by the firestation to the south, one near Trumbull Fairgrounds, or one in Spencer's Mills may make scavenging easier.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Survivors, let's talk facilities:

Does anyone here even bother with gardens or training areas? They seem such a waste since Fighting is easy to raise and food is really common.

Work areas, sleeping areas, and medical areas seems absolutely essential though.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Archonex posted:

Makes me wonder what Breakdown level 5 or 6 is like.

Doesn't it go up to 10? Muahahah!

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Blarghalt posted:

Since there's a Steam sale going on, is this a recommended purchase or is it still too early to grab until they iron out the kinks?

It's $10 and I safely assume you'll get at least 20 hours out of it between the storyline and Breakdown DLC. That's 50 cents an hour.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I'm having a pain on Breakdown 3. I started with my usual character and my radio girl. This time, there was no notification of group letting us stay with them. So I haul rear end to the Alamo since it doesn't require a minimum population. Been here for about 2 1/2 hours in game and I still have been able to recruit anyone. I'm calling for survivors, doing side missions, etc. It's slow going because my ONE guy keeps getting exhausted.

gently caress.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
It seems like Breakdown 3 is where the real fun begins. Made my way south from up near the forest preserve and claimed the Kirkman residence. Right away, my axe swinging cowboy gets hurt and two of my folks catch some sort of flu. The carpenter/chef is ready to roll but he doesn't have much time outside the side, you know? Still, we need supplies to build a medical area. Once we get the supplies, turns out we're missing some critical component. The carpenter is feeling confident, so we send him back out. Turn out, the last piece we need is in a shed in the middle of nowhere. And it's night. He gets the item but it's too late: a swarm of about 20 zombies heard his car on the way up and overwhelmed him.

gently caress.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
I'd love to see human on human fighting and more dynamic missions.

Imagine if the Wilkerson mission gave you the choice of helping the Wilkersons extort locals (and gaining a considerable amount of supplies) or helping a fed-up enclave fight the Wilkersons. Guns would finally have a use other than killing the popper zombies. It would also be pretty neat to beat one of those hillbilly pieces of poo poo to death with a wrench.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

I'm thinking about getting this since it's on sale and I've had my eye on it for a while, how complete is the game now? And more importantly, how necessary is the DLC? Does it alter the base game, or just add separate modes? I'm not worried about getting it later if I like the game, as it will almost certainly be on sale again for the summer sale, but if it's important then I will probably pick it up now.

It's not an Early Release if that's what you're asking. The entire vanilla campaign can be completed in 10 hours easily. The Breakdown DLC will greatly increase the replayability of the base game though it's not necessary. Today's DLC, Lifeline, is a separate storyline from the base game and is not necessary at all.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Drakenel posted:

How do people ever have trouble with influence? I'm always rolling around with it in the the hundreds if not thousands. Like the only time I've ever ran out of influence was in breakdown when I decided to take out all the lovely melee weapons in the stash that had accumulated and destroy them to make room for actually useful poo poo.

Likewise. I'm on Lifeline, haven't even moved my base (if it's possible) and I have near 2k influence.

Now finding Materials is a different matter...

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Eruonen posted:

I noticed some unnamed warehouse between Snyder Trucking Warehouse and Savini Residence was a potential home site. It's not listed on any wiki or the OP and on the map it doesn't actually show as a potential homesite (but the radio command pops up and from a survey point it does get listed as that). Is this a glitch or are there random/unlisted home sites in the game?

They're "potential home sites" and can't be settled. The designers originally intended for the map to have far more home sites but this was scrapped for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Thoughts on Year One? I'm reluctant to buy. $20 seems a bit much for a graphical update and a samsquanch.

• Locked thread