Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pre-loading this five days early has made the wait unbearable. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I laugh every time I throw a knife at some dude and it bounces cartoonishly off the spare magazine he has in his chest pouch.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Pwnstar posted:

I laugh every time I throw a knife at some dude and it bounces cartoonishly off the spare magazine he has in his chest pouch.

I was amused initially, but then began to become irritated because each time it happened meant that I was going to have to restart since I played on Ranger Easy, and alerting one guy meant that everyone was going to start shooting me immediately.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
After having Metro since release im finally getting around to beating it. I got to where you find Sasha and stopped playing. Im on chapter 5 and hoping I get through it before my pre order arrives.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Fraser CDN posted:

After having Metro since release im finally getting around to beating it. I got to where you find Sasha and stopped playing. Im on chapter 5 and hoping I get through it before my pre order arrives.

No worries, the Sasha chapter is only the second worst part of the game! At least there're no amoebas, I guess..

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Try that place on ranger hardcore where each little rat monster can 3 shot you!

Which was a simple matter compared to my predicament now, my game won't let me pick up extra filters and i'm completely out of filter time. What the gently caress, there's like 3 different bodies with filters on around. Of course you can't buy any at Polis. :unsmigghh:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apparently the filters you can't pick up were already used, but its kinda bs that they gently caress with you in that way because its such a crucial resource. When i'm on my last filter its like a constant state of anxiety, fear, and urgent willingness to find the point where I can take the mask off.

I just started playing 2033 again after a long hiatus near the beginning. I like it and the Ranger Hardcore is awesome but it doesn't seem cool to force people to pre-order/pay more in what seemed like such an integral part of the game experience. For that reason alone I'm going to be boycotting (until when its down to 15 like 2033 is now) because yeah, that's hosed up.

VVVV 4A games were part of the STALKER team at one point

bef fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 12, 2013

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Of the few videos ive watched of Last Light Ive been getting a STALKER vibe to it, am I the only one?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Fraser CDN posted:

Of the few videos ive watched of Last Light Ive been getting a STALKER vibe to it, am I the only one?

I could definitely see that. I think the further out of the "Metros" Metro gets, the more similar it will be to STALKER--at least ostensibly. I mean, they're both Eastern European FPS games that take place in Eastern Europe, featuring a mix of human factions and mutant enemies, with a grimy, post-apocalyptic aesthetic (even though STALKER isn't post-apocalyptic). That's not a bad thing, though. Metro has always struck me an on-the-rails STALKER.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I could definitely see that. I think the further out of the "Metros" Metro gets, the more similar it will be to STALKER--at least ostensibly. I mean, they're both Eastern European FPS games that take place in Eastern Europe, featuring a mix of human factions and mutant enemies, with a grimy, post-apocalyptic aesthetic (even though STALKER isn't post-apocalyptic). That's not a bad thing, though. Metro has always struck me an on-the-rails STALKER.

You guys know that not a coincidence, right? Half the dev. team (most of the key programmers and senior staff) on STALKER left to form 4A Games when Shadow of Chernobyl was at the end of it's production cycle due to some unknown internal conflict. It's the reason why Shadow of Chernobyl took another three years to finish even though the vast majority of the game was already finished and when it was released it was a buggy mess, the remaining devs. were unfamiliar with the in-game engine their former programmers had developed.

If Metro seems similar to STALKER, it shouldn't come to as a surprise, they're made by the same people.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 12, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dr.Oblivious posted:

You guys know that not a coincidence, right? Half the dev. team (most of the key programmers and senior staff) on STALKER left to form 4A Games when Shadow of Chernobyl was at the end of it's production cycle due to some unknown internal conflict. It's the reason why Shadow of Chernobyl took another three years to finish even though the vast majority of the game was already finished and when it was released it was a buggy mess, the remaining devs. were unfamiliar with the in-game engine their former programmers had developed.

If Metro seems similar to STALKER, it shouldn't come to as a surprise, they're made by the same people.

I can't speak for Fraser CDN, but I was more speaking of the games, themselves. Like, the concept of crawling around post-apocalyptic Russia/Ukraine with a beat up Warsaw Pact weapon, fighting bandits and mutants. But yeah, I'm aware of the developer overlap.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

STALKER and Metro are both based on Roadside Picnic, thats why they have so much in common. In the Metro 2033 book the Rangers are actually called Stalkers but they changed it for the game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pwnstar posted:

STALKER and Metro are both based on Roadside Picnic, thats why they have so much in common. In the Metro 2033 book the Rangers are actually called Stalkers but they changed it for the game.
Is Roadside Picnic worth reading? I've been curious about it for a while now.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Yes, it's a good book. Not as much shooting/cut throat competition between stalkers but it has excellent atmosphere. Also pretty depressing because it's Russian. I'm pretty sure you can get the pdf off wikipedia.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What Russian books aren't depressing?

Actually the Night Watch books weren't too depressing, a little sad but not soul-crushing.

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

Pwnstar posted:

In Metro 2033, if you turn the audio to Russian, they actually say "Stalker" instead of Ranger.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

METRO 2033 really pulled off that post-apocalyptic atmosphere like no other game, but gently caress me if it wasn't a chore to actually play, what with the brain-dead human AI and the bullet sponge enemies.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

beer_war posted:

METRO 2033 really pulled off that post-apocalyptic atmosphere like no other game, but gently caress me if it wasn't a chore to actually play, what with the brain-dead human AI and the bullet sponge enemies.

If you play on Ranger Mode, the true difficulty then enemies die in 1-2 bullets.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

The true difficulty should have been included in the release version, then.

I did try to get into the game once after the Ranger Pack was out, and it made the monster fights bearable, if not particularly fun for me. Human opponents were still as frustrating as ever, though.

beer_war fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 12, 2013

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

The movie (STALKER) is quite good as well. I think the entire film in the original Russian is still viewable on YouTube.

But yes, the book is good.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

I think so. I'm not sure if it's :filez: or not, but you can find transcripts of it online (that's how I read it, 4 or 5 years ago, when beat-up copies of the book were like $80-100). It looks like you can find copies of it at Amazon for a reasonable price nowadays, though, which might make the transcripts pretty questionable. For a short sci-fi read, I found it pretty interesting. Pick it up next time you buy a bunch of other stuff on Amazon.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Okay so I figured what the hell and preordered on GMG. I got 3 keys but only two seem to work. The third one is very short and won't activate on Steam. Anyone else get this?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Evek posted:

Okay so I figured what the hell and preordered on GMG. I got 3 keys but only two seem to work. The third one is very short and won't activate on Steam. Anyone else get this?

Is it possible that the short key is a DLC key that is entered within the game?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I have to say Chapter 5 of Metro 2033 is amazing. This is exactly how I wanted the whole game to be like, its dark, and scary. Ive actually jumped from some of the tricks the Liberians use.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull

Evek posted:

It's not a Steam key.
Use it here.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull

Fraser CDN posted:

I have to say Chapter 5 of Metro 2033 is amazing. This is exactly how I wanted the whole game to be like, its dark, and scary. Ive actually jumped from some of the tricks the Liberians use.

I know it's a typo, but I laughed so hard when I read 'Liberian'.
:-D

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Charlie Brown posted:

I know it's a typo, but I laughed so hard when I read 'Liberian'.
:-D

Well, to be fair, Liberia is generally regarded as a pretty dark and scary place.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Xenomrph posted:

It is very good. As said, not so much action, it's very, very low key.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
So I preordered yesterday on Steam, do I not get the comic and my copy of the novel until release or what?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Leb posted:

The bad one. You really did it! You maniac! You blew it up! Evidently, metrics revealed that most players were dicks.

I thought the canon ending was going to be the good one?

Of course, I heard this like 2 years ago and am probably misremembering.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Do we really need to spoil everything for the previous game? This is a sequel after all.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Roobanguy posted:

I thought the canon ending was going to be the good one?

Of course, I heard this like 2 years ago and am probably misremembering.

Book spoilers: It'd be really silly if it was because the book ended akin to the normal ending. Plus the good ending has rather far reaching implications that would drastically change the setting

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Do we really need to spoil everything for the previous game? This is a sequel after all.

It probably wouldn't hurt, given that this thread is going to attract people who are new to the IP and will want to pick up the original and play through it before they play this.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Does anyone know what directory steam pre-loads Last Light to? My home DSL connection maxes out around 90KB/s, so I preloaded on my netbook while I was at a hotel this weekend so I could copy it over to my desktop.

Now I can't find it because it's not in the usual Steam\steamapps\common.

VVV Edit: Ah, thanks. I've copied games over in the past without any trouble, so hopefully a pre-load works.

TerminalSaint fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 13, 2013

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

TerminalSaint posted:

Does anyone know what directory steam pre-loads Last Light to? My home DSL connection maxes out around 90KB/s, so I preloaded on my netbook while I was at a hotel this weekend so I could copy it over to my desktop.

Now I can't find it because it's not in the usual Steam\steamapps\common.

A quick google search showed it's in Steam/depotcache and I found 8 files totalling around 8gigs there that were last modified on the 10th and 11th so it's probably there. I'm not completely sure how transferring that kind of stuff works, though, so hopefully it doesn't act funny.

Sputty fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 13, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think so. I'm not sure if it's :filez: or not, but you can find transcripts of it online (that's how I read it, 4 or 5 years ago, when beat-up copies of the book were like $80-100). It looks like you can find copies of it at Amazon for a reasonable price nowadays, though, which might make the transcripts pretty questionable. For a short sci-fi read, I found it pretty interesting. Pick it up next time you buy a bunch of other stuff on Amazon.
It looks like it's actually a little cheaper to get a digital copy than a print copy. Who'da thunk?

I also didn't realize that the guy who directed 'Stalker' (based on 'Roadside Picnic') also directed the Russian version of 'Solaris'. Small world, I guess. :shobon:

I even own the STALKER games on Steam, got them on some Summer/Christmas sale X number of years ago for a song and still haven't tried them out. Maybe playing through Metro 2033/Last Light will motivate me to keep the Russian crazy-train rolling.

That reminds me, there was some Russian survival horror zombie mod for Half Life 1 or 2 that was zombie-themed and it was really atmospheric and surprisingly well put together for a mod. I'll have to dig around and see if I can remember the name.

And I know it's not a strictly "Russian" game like STALKER/Metro 2033 are, but I loved the poo poo out of 'Singularity'. It was basically Wolfenstein: Soviet Russia Edition and I played the poo poo out of it. It even did certain gameplay things before Bioshock Infinite made them cool. :v:

Gimperial posted:

In Metro 2033, if you turn the audio to Russian, they actually say "Stalker" instead of Ranger.
Is it worth it to play the game with Russian audio and English subtitles? Is it even an option?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 13, 2013

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Xenomrph posted:

I also didn't realize that the guy who directed 'Stalker' (based on 'Roadside Picnic') also directed the Russian version of 'Solaris'. Small world, I guess. :shobon:

The guy who directed Stalker is one of the most influential filmmakers of his generation and is considered one of the best directors to have ever touched film.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Is it worth it to play the game with Russian audio and English subtitles? Is it even an option?

You can and you really should. I at least thought that it added a lot to the atmosphere.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.

Skuzal posted:

You can and you really should. I at least thought that it added a lot to the atmosphere.

The only problem is the flavor conversations in stations do not show up on subtitles. Though it is good to play through on Russian once at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

So I'm a bit confused, Steam says the game comes out on the 13th, yet the unlock timer says there is still 27 hours on it. So is it coming out on the 13th or the 14th?

• Locked thread