Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm unbelievably excited for this, and I think if it's basically metro 2033 but slightly improved it'll be my goty.

Also from what I've read of it the english translation of the first book is really bad, so some of the impact might be lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

VarXX posted:

My biggest problem with Last Light right now is it doesn't seem like the engine is optimized that much better from 2033. My current computer can barely run that game without running into a ton of input lag on highest settings. Was really hoping that would be improved but the Titan requirement doesn't leave me with much hope.

To be fair, the titan is their recommendation for running the game at max settings with everything enabled, not just a normal "recommended" setting.

e: I'm assuming this included physx and whatever else, so running all that off the same card is gonna be pretty insane.

VVVV I forgot it was gonna have 3d stuff, at which point I doubt we're talking 60 fps even with a titan.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 26, 2013

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Gestalt Intellect posted:

There was actually only one place in the whole game where you could buy filters, and I remember hardly being able to pick up any filters even on normal mode, while pretty much all of them only lasted for a really short time once you used up the ones you bought from the store. My memory of normal mode might not be perfect though since I never went back once I tried Ranger.

Here's an interview with the author of the novels (who is also writing the game). It spoils a couple specific details in a few scenes, but nothing major as far as I can tell.

You could buy filters at every single station with vendors.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

TerminalSaint posted:

I liked the thread where the guy was all worried about the horrible review from PC Gamer. You know, the 80% one.

What is wrong with kids where anything less than a 9/10 is atrocious?

Now that I've read the review I'm pretty surprised it only got an 8/10, and also what happened to them doing a XX% number.

Like there's a pretty big difference between an 88% and an 80% and I suppose they would both technically be an 8/10.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Rocketeer Korolev posted:

Anyone else have to verify the game cache files in order to get a significant performance boost?

Also, this game hard crashes every 10 minutes it seems, no matter what detail settings I have it at. It resets my video card drivers and I have no choice but to shut it down. I'm running this on an AMD Radeon 6870 and I'm wondering if this is happening on nVidia cards as well.

Other than that, great game so far!

Nope, ran silky smooth for me at max settings on my 660ti, no crashes or anything.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Rocketeer Korolev posted:

Anyone else have to verify the game cache files in order to get a significant performance boost?

Also, this game hard crashes every 10 minutes it seems, no matter what detail settings I have it at. It resets my video card drivers and I have no choice but to shut it down. I'm running this on an AMD Radeon 6870 and I'm wondering if this is happening on nVidia cards as well.

Other than that, great game so far!

Nope, ran silky smooth for me at max settings on my 660ti, no crashes or anything.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I think I'm gonna have to play through Stalker SoC and CoP again, there's no other games that have the sort of atmosphere they (and Metro) have. Everything is grim and worn down and desperate.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Motherfucker posted:

I just finished up and man, this game was awesome.

Other post apocalypse games don't really look at the whole post apocalypse thing as anything more than just 'bombs fall radiation happens', like it's some sort of really rare kind of weather event or something, but this one had that oppressive dirty feel that made you really wanna just pick humanity off the face of the world like lovely anchovies on an otherwise perfectly fine pizza. If that fine pizza was earth and the anchovy corruption was radioactive mutation nukes.

Yep, it's pretty much the metro games and the stalker games that get the feel right in my mind, nothing else comes close. poo poo is broken down and people are worn down and everything basically sucks.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

RBA Starblade posted:

If it's anything like 2033, you get a lot of points by exploring side passages and listening to what people have to say, including enemies in combat areas, along with playing musical instruments.

Speaking of side passages, the room full of ghosts at the rail car part was really well done. They only appear if you glance at them from the side. Look straight on and they vanish.

Yeah I got a TON of the little 'confirmation' noises while I was exploring off the beaten path (I still got the bad ending because I murdered everyone).

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So can you only carry two guns in Ranger Hardcore?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Meowbot posted:

I am only about an hour or two into the game but something just feels ... off? Am I wrong in thinking that Metro 2033 was a little bit better looking/polished ... somehow? It just feels rushed, and the game feels washed out when I am outside. I don't have the sense of dread I did in the first one and it doesn't seem to be taking itself as seriously. Maybe I am missing something or not far enough but at least the beginning doesn't feel as good as Metro 2033 did.

Do you have the settings as low as possible or something?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Meowbot posted:

No it is maxed out besides SSAO. I mean the game is rushed in the sense that the way it goes from map to map just feels like it is moving at a really fast pace. The atmosphere just doesn't seem to feel the same as I remembered playing in Metro. It is dark, but even when I mess with the gamma it looks too washed out or too dark. I guess I gotta keep playing because it seems I have a polarizing opinion. I wasn't sure if others felt this way sorry.

The reason I asked is the game shouldn't feel washed out or anything, might be something with your monitor.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

KaneTW posted:

Yeah, I hope so. They just said that the canon ending of 2033 was determined by player metrics, but it might as well be completely up to Glukhovsky.

Source for this? I'm pretty sure the canon ending was the canon ending because that's the way the book ended and because the "good" ending was nothing more than a bonus for the intrepid.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Miltank posted:

Is it ever really explained why the dark ones were killing people like crazy in the first game? That was the reason that they got missle'd right?

Yeah it was accidental, they were trying to communicate and wound up scrambling brains basically.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Mr. Fowl posted:

Try the BB gun. It's a blast :D

It's got like fifteen shots and if you've got decent aim and a full tank it's a good freakout weapon for taking out mutants.

I just finished the game--went straight for Ranger Normal and I got the Good Ending. Nearly got the no-kill achievement but I just couldn't manage it on that train where you get the Dark One. Still, going mostly no-kill felt pretty cool, like Artyom was trying to atone. You know, except when he was stealing the filters out of the masks of guys on the surface. He's trying to be a better man, but no one's that good.

Just a heads up, but it's stealing the masks and filters of guys on the surface that probably cost you the no kills achievement, not the train section, since I'm pretty sure you have to shoot guys during the train sequence.

Taking masks/the filter on the mask from unconscious bodies on the surface counts as killing, at least I'm pretty sure it does.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
What, that's basically the least appropriate piece of music I could imagine for Metro.

Well, I guess dubstep would be even less appropriate but still.

e: Here's my favorite Last Light song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H843gBkzY8w

VVVV: Yeah I thought it was brilliant for the trailers.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 2, 2013

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

One thing I don't get - the various trailers for the game, especially the live action ones, were fantastic and rich with emotional storylines. The makers of the game clearly had a motif of despair and a sense of the world they were building, plus a wealth of source material both in the novel and in the trailers, yet they barely skim the surface in the game itself.

I think you're wrong about how well they they translated the stuff in game, both games are grimy and dirty and sad and immersive as hell, more so than pretty much any other game. You get drawn in and really get a good look at all the different parts of the metro. It's a game all about the setting and the world.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah, you're generally gonna want a dedicated physx card for games that have it (but don't, because while it's a neat gimmick it's not remotely worth it).

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

nnnotime posted:

Should I go ahead and buy Metro Redux if I have only gotten a short way into Metro:2033? I started playing the original Metro 2033 earlier this year, got as far as the big underground bridge, then stopped in order to play some different games.

I'll probably just play Metro:2033 one time through, so if Metro Redux offered a better version of 2033 than the original then I considered perhaps I should start over with Metro Redux. I watched a short youtube video of a guy comparing some differences in the original 2033 and the Redux version, such as having ice cover some levels and some differences in some of the mutant encounters. But I don't know if his video was comprehensive, as it just covered two outdoor building areas.

Here's the short video I watched with the comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu3DEee3mdw

I would absolutely get redux and play that. I mean, it's not out yet, but it promises to be 2033 with the gameplay improvements (especially stealth etc)from Last Light, which sounds really truly excellent.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Azran posted:

So, I just noticed I never, ever used MGR as actual ammo during either of my Metro playthroughs. How effective are they in comparison to normal rounds? I'm watching Komodo Saurian's "kill everything run" and he's one shotting bandits in 2033 with MGR in Ranger mode :stare:

Everything does more damage and has less health on Ranger mode, enemies included.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So Metro 2033 Redux is really an enormous improvement, and I already loved 2033 despite its faults and the occasional weird issue. Also there's a pretty large amount of new stuff to explore and secrets to find, especially when you go to the surface for the first time.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
There's a pretty significant amount of new side areas to find too, I've found probably 6 or 7 and I just got back from my first surface excursion.

e: actually if you count new rooms and stuff probably more like 10 or 12, it's pretty cool.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I'm really looking forward to the Metro 2035 book, which is gonna be the book version of Last Light, basically.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

RBA Starblade posted:

I see they didn't fix the thing where staring down a librarian just gets them to instantly kill you half the time.

I didn't have any issues so...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Scyron posted:

I enjoyed them both, but thought the game metro2033 was more realized, if that makes sense. Like parts of the book were kind of crazy sounding, in regards to the star of the Kremlin having this captivating mind control or something, or the slimes that also had a mental psychic power. I wish the STALKER game community would try to have a REAL METRO 2033 mod, because the metro 2033/ll games,while awesome, don't exactly exactly feel the same as the books. I guess maybe that sort of "free form" roaming would be interesting in approaching bases, being pretty linear, which makes 2033 fair with the narrative, but superstition/abnormal/anomalies don't work the same way or feel as organic or threatening.

I really like both STALKER and Metro so I mean, maybe it is some jerkoff fanfic super game, but I love the currency metro does, while trying to have a free-roam open-world would be amazing. Clearly parts, much like in STALKER are just dead zones of radiation or harmful anomalies. Something with the atmosphere is done so well and beautifully realized.

The next metro game is supposed to be pretty open worldy I guess, so there's that. I think the idea of actually being able to to go on scavenging missions and decide what you want to do and poo poo is gonna be really cool. Like, hey, poo poo, I need new equipment for this big mission I'm planning, time to take trips to the surface to scavenge poo poo and then go from station to station selling the poo poo I scavenge. That would be loving cool.

Also in general getting to explore more of the world would be nice.

• Locked thread