Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Beat 2033 on the XBox a while back and recently did Last Light on the PC, so I got 2033R for another playthrough of the first. Can't even imagine how much more polish LLR could have. Hardest difficulty - no UI, scarce resources, old-fashioned watch, deadly combat - is probably going to be a mistake.

And holy poo poo, did the original game's animated load/new/options/etc screen have Anna and your son walking around in the background?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Xander77 posted:

People in this thread mentioned that each Redux version is supposed to be 12$ if you already own the games. Was that an offer limited by location / time / something, because I definitely have both game on my steam account, but each Redux version costs 24$.

Yeah the deal was preorder only.

Charlie Brown posted:

Is there a huge difference between Last Light and Last Light RR?

Wondering that as well; nothing I read made it sound worth it. It's enough that I now own three copies of 2033.

floor is lava posted:

I can't pick up the starting machine gun in the armory. Guess I'll wait until this is patched heavily in the next few weeks.

I thought I had that problem too, till I tried pressing E on it for longer than I thought necessary.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Is there no online manual for this? I can't find anything, even on the disc.

Someone put it online here. It's for original 2033, no idea how different from Redux.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/9eddggjjggw97h7/Metro+2033+Manual+EN.pdf

Above Our Own posted:

The knife throwing is dumb as hell. You hit a guy wearing full body armor in his left arm with a tiny thrown knife and it kills him instantly.

Not any worse than games that make a bow and arrow more deadly than a rifle.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

The problem is it doesn't really leave the series a way to go forward with the Artyom storyline so they'll probably choose the good ending if they're making another Artyom game.

I mentioned that 2033 Redux now features Anna and your son running around during the game menu sequence (I don't think it did originally), Artyom's clearly writing his memoirs there too, so yeah, him living is the canon. I don't care about that either way, but I was bugged by the canonical ending they chose for 2033.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

ultimateforce posted:

Finished 2033 last night. I want more Metro games, these are great.

Yeah it's why I finally decided to start playing Stalker. And I gotta say, Rage doesn't quite scratch the same itch for bleakness, sneaking, mutants, mercs and shooting.

Azran posted:

Were there keys and lockboxes in the original one?

I don't believe so, no. Even if they're just full of junk, I appreciate having a new reason to explore even more than I did the first time around.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Turns out the Librarians are no match for two sticky bombs to the face :smug:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

I also learned to respect the tikhar this playthrough, something I completely ignored before, but only when you pimp it out with a nightscope and valve. The new railgun derivative is fun too. Disappointed in the bicycle shotgun, I thought it would be more entertaining or something. I mean I love the concept, they did a great job designing almost-plausible junk guns.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Azran posted:

*The Reich one is a glorified turret section with a buggy end boss.
*The Red Line one is a stealth sniper section which I haven't been able to complete due to being detected constantly. :argh:
*Kshatriya is amazing.
*Pavel is a stealth/action segment which I personally enjoyed a lot. The QTE at the beginning will make you fail it the first time though, since it is not really obvious what you have to do.
*Khan is relatively short but provides some information about his past. I liked it.
*Anna has a sniping segment, followed by combat/stealth. It's basically the Ashes chapter seen through Anna's eyes. I enjoyed it.
*Tower is a really challenging combat simulator.
*Developer Pack is the place where you can gently caress around with all the weapons. I wish the Arena had more variety though.

How do I get the Faction Pack now? I have Last Light (not Redux), the chronicles pack and ranger mode, but Steam seems to only carry Redux now? and even that doesn't link to any DLC for it? and searching via google instead of the Steam client gives me a link to what I want but clicking it just forwards to Steam's homepage?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Started reading 2033 and I see the expanded universe has a hell of a lot of short stories, hope those get translated and collected at some point. I'm eager to read about the Petersburg metro system since that was my commute to class once and the stations are gorgeous.

I'm suddenly reminded of Erofeev's Moscow-Petruski (or Moscow to the End of the Line), a dissident story from the late Soviet period about a guy who falls asleep on the train, misses his much-storied destination, and wakes up while the train is on its way back. Then he wanders around drunk and gets murdered. The use of train tracks and retreading your steps as metaphors for time/history/historical repetition, and of the paradoxical narration-beyond-death, which is one of the endings for Last Light. I'm fascinated by the recurring themes in Russian scifi/fantasy.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Both games went on sale again on Steam today. Time to restart Last Light, good thing I wasn't too far into my second playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Those parts are at least supposed to be tense and make you panic. Trying yelling BLYAT or SUKA, that seems to help the NPCs get through tough situations.

There needs to be a dedicated button for shouting Russian profanities.

• Locked thread