Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Cityinthesea posted:

Artyom wasn't really a silent protagonist in the first game. He did all of the narration, after all.
One of my favorite moments in the game is Artyom's quiet "gently caress" when it looks like he is going to be crushed under a runaway railway car, it was really refreshing after so many silent protagonists.

There was a good Let's Play of Metro 2033, that might be useful for someone out there. Full disclosure, I was involved in a very minor way and the video below is mine as well.

There were also many great conversations between NPCs, most are lifted from the book. Great stuff for building atmosphere, and some are legitimately spooky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYYFexAMBaw&t=132s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

A former executive at THQ has written a very interesting article on the working conditions of 4A Games. Power outages, loss of heat for days at a time, a small office with only the most basic equipment, shifting publisher demands, and a tiny budget. He even makes the obvious joke that 4A didn't have to look far to be inspired by a bleak post-apocalyptic setting.

Jason Rubin posted:

When 4A needed another dev kit, or high-end PC, or whatever, someone from 4A had to fly to the States and sneak it back to the Ukraine in a backpack lest it be "seized" at the border by thieving customs officials. After visiting the team I wanted to buy them Aeron office chairs, considered a fundamental human right in the west. There were no outlets in the Ukraine, and our only option was to pack a truck in Poland and try to find an "expediter" to help bribe its way down to Kiev. We gave up not because this tripled the cost, but because we realized that the wider Aeron chairs would require spreading out people and computers, which would lead to extra desks, and that ultimately would have required bigger offices. Yes, really.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

If you haven't played Metro 2033, Amazon has it on sale right now for $5 for their PC downloadable version.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Last Light had a really high-quality marketing. The live-action trailer is my favorite thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mON5WmA5REk

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

There are a ton of great conversations in the background of Metro 2033, most of them taken from the book. I made a video with some of the easier-to-miss conversations from the original game, spoilers obviously. My favorite is definitely the story about the tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYYFexAMBaw&t=134s

• Locked thread