Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Is Roadside Picnic worth reading? I've been curious about it for a while now.

Yes, it's a good book. Not as much shooting/cut throat competition between stalkers but it has excellent atmosphere. Also pretty depressing because it's Russian. I'm pretty sure you can get the pdf off wikipedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

It looks like it's actually a little cheaper to get a digital copy than a print copy. Who'da thunk?

I also didn't realize that the guy who directed 'Stalker' (based on 'Roadside Picnic') also directed the Russian version of 'Solaris'. Small world, I guess. :shobon:

I even own the STALKER games on Steam, got them on some Summer/Christmas sale X number of years ago for a song and still haven't tried them out. Maybe playing through Metro 2033/Last Light will motivate me to keep the Russian crazy-train rolling.

That reminds me, there was some Russian survival horror zombie mod for Half Life 1 or 2 that was zombie-themed and it was really atmospheric and surprisingly well put together for a mod. I'll have to dig around and see if I can remember the name.

Is it worth it to play the game with Russian audio and English subtitles? Is it even an option?

You can get Roadside Picnic here at the bottom for free. I'm assuming it's okay since it's on Wikipedia...: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadside_Picnic

The mod you are thinking of is this: http://paranoia.level-design.ru/index_eng.htm

Neat atmosphere but the firefights are kind of bad... I think it was hitscan enemies but I played it years ago. Same developer as Cry of Fear.

And yes you can play Metro 2033 with Russian VA and subtitles. Nice but no subs for the small talk on the side (might be fixed with a mode).

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

Scyron posted:

Playing again but on Easy vanilla, due to PSN+ giveaway and I'm just running around punching people out. I think I've fired 4 shots at lightbulbs only.

This is clearly a different game and pretty fun, given my health is so absurdly high. I'm also using the revolver silence and revolver with a scope as my only weapons, just to see if it is possible.

You will need high magazine capacity weapons as a back up once they start throwing bullet sponge monsters at you. Human parts you can ghost or ko stab people all you want.

• Locked thread