Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You're teaching him to be better than his enemies. If you tell him to murder people who tried to murder him, or murdered all of his friends family, or that's cool to let him die from his own actions, you're basically encouraging the little bastard to leave you to die, stop helping you, or outright kill you. Since you pretty much set a speedrun record for genocide.

I really liked the moral system in 2033, since a lot of it wasn't doing things but giving some spare bullets out, listening to things, or watching things play out. Last Light does it the same way, except there are just shitloads of points everywhere. 2033 was a lot less in your face with it's points and actions.

On throwing knives: All enemies who aware and in combat take dramatically less damage. Most will still go down to a single knife or hellsing bolt, but a few, especially the heavily armored enemies, will take additional one or two. Watchmen, for instance, on Ranger Hardcore, take a single hellsing bolt mid-combat, and two throwing knives.

The only thing I dislike about Ranger mode is that it only gives you two slots for guns, when the game has so many I'd like to use, but it sucks having only two guns. I tend to carry the suppressed, possibly night-sighted revolver, and a shotgun, either a long-barrel shambler or the saiga with drum mag. I almost never carry an assault rifle, despite the copious amounts of 5.45 laying around the metro, because it's inferior to the revolver for being sneaky in every way, is slightly more useful in ohshit combat, but only against people. Against mutants, it ultimately falters compared to a shotgun or the pistols ability to rip a mutants head off.

Something I've noticed in peacewalker is that killing nosalsies mid-jump tends to make them magnatized to distant objects, propelling them across the room at high speed. Which is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I think committing genocide is the better canon ending, as the sequel is very good in being about guilt, remorse, and redemption. I'd love to know what the plan for Last Light would've been if Artoym had saved the Dark Ones instead.

Book chat: the book is even more mystical and magical about the weird poo poo than happens in the metro. Khan especially. There's all kinds of weird poo poo in the tunnels, and even more stories of the weird poo poo in the tunnels. It's like the force is when it's just obi-wan's crazy old wizard religion.

Polis is somewhat less about the rangers and more about the reliquary of knowledge there and the Stalkers grabbing stuff from the surface. They're also a lot less casual for going to the surface. Oh, and Polis has actual lighting, so visitors wear sunglasses so their eyes aren't hurt by the light that's much, much stronger than the rest of the metro.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I actually just got done playing through Last Light Redux. Finally got the good ending, though the game waits to tell you until the last possible moment (the little one stops artyom from flipping the switch the moment his hand touches it. I liked that in the bad ending, too, the bad guys are so cocky artyom can crawl to it and blow everyone to hell without any qte poo poo)

I don't mind the mutants so much, but maybe that's just because I've got mad headshot skills or something. I do dislike them in the forced combat parts when you don't have much of a say in the not fighting, but whenever you can hide, sneak, or stealth 'em I like them a lot more. Parts of the catacombs, sometimes on the surface, the surface bits in the later half of the game when you're not constantly at war. Basically when they're not being violent murder monsters, and acting like actual animals. Spider Bugs are also interesting, except they are goddamned terrifying.

They've got nothing on the human enemies though. Ghosting areas and knocking out everyone, or killing everyone without raising alarm is always pretty fun, and actual firefights can be pretty tense and hectic, but it seems like in the Redux that enemies can lose you, and you can resume sneakily shooting them in the face.

Also, i've finally been reading Artyom's diary in Last Light, and it kinda seems like saving the D6 may not be the smartest idea. Every vault just contains more weapons. D6 wasn't built to save anyone, it was to kill everyone else. Also raises questions about the Dark Ones trapped inside of it.

My favorite part about the guys talking about the Metro-2, Invisible Watchers, and etc is that when going to D6 with Uhlman and Miller, Uhlman starts teasing Miller with it. loving love Uhlman. I'm sorta disappointed the Cult Of The Great Worm never made it into the game in any form. Seems like it would've worked well.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The canon ending being the good ending makes a lot of sense for that reason. Especially considering 2033s new main menu. I liked the boom explosions ending though. does the book outright state they are evolved humans though? I dont remember that detail.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Rookersh posted:

In their failed communications/as they are dying they show Arytom pictures of the world before. IE their own memories of their past lives, back when they were human. They are the people who got left on the surface, mutated through the nuclear conflict/biological attacks across the city. ( the Kremlin for example was hit by a strange chemical agent that when mixed with the nuclear strikes created the Bioform. In the books it lulls all nearby survivors to it, then sings to them so they fall asleep/can be absorbed. )

It's also why they never attack anybody in the books/game. Why would they want to kill humans, they are probably so excited they found other survivors :smith:.

Remember all those bits in 2033 when Arytom suddenly see's the past? It's not because he's crazy/the world is broken. It's a nearby Dark One trying to tell him something, but only able to telepathically communicate ideas/memories.

In the novel the question of what they are is split in two parts. Khan thinks they are supersoldiers designed to survive a nuclear apocalypse, which is why they are in D6 ( the problem being they are pacifists who dislike killing ). Arytom thinks they are the people of the surface, and the Dark Ones in D6 are the former soldiers/politicians of Russia who attempted to hide in a "safe" location which was anything but. Either way they are obviously human.

It has been too, too long since I read that novel. I should do so again. I do remember Khan's explanation of the ghosts which I loved and still love: that there are so few bodies on the earth, souls cannot reincarnate into new life, remaining forever stranded where they died.

Althought in 2033/Last Light other people experience the same hallucinations at points (like Pavel in the plane) so it doesn't always seem to be the best explanation. Though one could argue that Artyom is acting like the "Common Wire" as Khan calls him and passing the experience onto Pavel. Though you always hear stories of OTHER people having similar experiences (and, indeed, the plane is full of dead Stalkers who did not survive the experience, and at that point, there are no more Dark Ones out and about other than the little one). Though I suppose it holds true for the most part, because the ones where Artyom is walking amongst the past, full of people like everything is okay, there are always Dark One's nearby, or he's with the little one. It's easy to forget/miss the Dark One's who pop up occasionally in the Dead City levels of 2033.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Rookersh posted:

To be fair, the plane was a horrific event, and it could have created some sort of psychic warp of sorts there that draws people in.

Children's playgrounds, hospitals, seeing cars drive around, etc. Those are not a psychic warp. They are a memory.

Yeah. That's actually a really good explanation.

Sphrin posted:

It seems more like Artyom just has fewer side effects, all the times where everyone is caught in an anomaly he's the one capable of continuing to function or the first to recover. You could give quite a few reasons for that to occur as well.

If one were to say that these things 'feed' on people, the things that make it difficult for the dark ones to talk to people could be the same things that make people fall victim to them.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 4, 2014

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Not just spiders, spider bugs. Vicious, evil, makes-the-same-sound-as-a-scooby-doo-villain spiderbugs.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Okay, so this was going to be just advice for dealing with that one spot but it's sorta become an efforty post on Ranger mode:

Bear in mind, my experience is in Spartan Ranger Hardcore. Survival is my next goal, because survival seems to be dramatically harder because Artyom is shittier at sneaking (Or guards are better at seeing) and shittier at combat.

So, Ranger Mode Protips:

gently caress assault rifles. Anything in 5.45 can go gently caress itself unless it's shooting MGR. If you get into an out and out firefight, pick up a gun off of a dead guy, shoot that.
The Revolver Is Your Friend - it's the first gun, it's pretty much the best gun. Takes out man and mutant a like with a single headshot. If you can't blow it's head off with a single shot, you shouldn't be trying to kill it.
Throwing Knives don't use bullets. If you use a knife, you save a bullet. They'll kill people mid-combat as well as in sneaky mode.
The Hellsings bolts are retrievable. Shoot them. Retrieve them. Reload them. it's the circle of life.
Keep a gun to be sneaky, keep a gun to lay waste in forced firefights. Don't risk your hellsing bolts in actiony segments, use something more disposable.

That said, the proest of pro tips is to be prepared. Have ammo on you. Have room for more ammo. Have a gun for the fights you're going to be fighting. While I say that gently caress all of the assault rifles, it pays to grab one for the actiony bits, especially in the rail car action segments, though those can frequently be handled by a shotgun as far as nosalses or watchmen. It's more difficult if you're going in blind, but if you've played the game before, you can think of when to ditch guns, carry something more useful for the upcoming fight.

Get used to not having UI prompts. If something looks like a QTE, mash the use button. Or LMB.

Don't fight if you don't have to. Sneak past encounters, sneak and stealth kill with knives or the hellsing. go green!
If you do have to fight, be smart. Enemies can lose you. Get lost. shoot people in the back. Use as few rounds as possible.
In action sequences with buddies, monsters will attack you or your buddies. Hide in a corner, headshot incoming mutants that are only gunning for you. Your buddies are immortal, have infinite ammo, and deal minimal damage to everything. Let them. Let them handle themselves. Deal only with the monsters coming for you.
Seriously, don't shoot at the monsters not trying to eat you.
Learn the dangerous attacks and movements of different monsters.
Demon's like to swoop and carry you off to their nest. Watchmen are all about the pounce. Nosalises don't really pounce but they have a crazy fast close range combo, but don't lunge much. Outside of swipe range they're sorta harmless. Lurkers will launch straight through you. They're like tiny watchmen, but with a sorta hide and go seek thing with the running and hiding. Watchmen will lunge and attack, sometimes they'll lunge and gently caress off and lunge again. Two lunges can kill you dead, so be more careful. Female nosalsies shoot like sound lasers, shoot them in their ugly face.
Learn how to deal with Librarians. It isnt hard. Don't waste ammo
Sticky grenades instagib Demons.
You never really need to spend ammo on spiderbugs. Don't waste ammo.
You can (especially in Last Light) sneak around mutants. Sneak around mutants.
Don't waste ammo on plot things. Sometimes some things are immortal, Like the demon that tries to eat Danilla. Don't waste ammo or grenades on it. There are some other moments like this. Don;t waste ammo if you aren't going to actually get anything from it. Be it ammos, medkits, supplies or not dying.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Man you guys must suck rear end at librarians. It took me one or two tries to "get it", but basically center your screen on their face, don't move, don't do poo poo. You need to position yourself carefully. If you're too far away they can move towards you, and manage to not trigger the staredown, in which case bug out and try again. you can't be too close, because doing so will let them attack you as they move towards you and try to feint you out in the staredown. if they get close enough during this, they will murder you. Once you get it down, they'll merely hinder your progress as you search the area for the exit and ammo.

In the sublevel, after the elevator, the dark haired librarians will be much harder to staredown, and more likely to loving murder you out of spite. Don't wake them up. For any reason. be quite. Be sneaky. if you're careful you can dodge the awake ones and not wake the sleepers. Once you find the archive, you'll pretty much leave entirely on autopilot and never have to deal with them again.

Which is kind of a shame, because they're fun.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Or dont piss them off to begin with.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The also have to recap stuff for players coming into the game new.

The game kinda throws chunks of MGR at you near the end because Polis is the last store. Its saying HEY USE ME I AM BULLETS.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Survival is, in general, a much harder experience than Spartan. You're shittier at combat, stealth is harder, and everything is much more scarce. Spartan is a little bit easier, mostly because you're great at headshots and enemies are a little bit worse at stealth, mostly because there's a bullet in their face.

Ranger Hardcore is pretty great, but it's basically glass cannon mode. Everything dies easily, including you. you won't super need a lot of bullets, which is good because you'll never easily know how many you have on hand. But if you consider that each ammo pick up gives you 1-3 bullets, you won't be far off. You'll have zero UI elements out of certain things, so if it looks like a QTE, mash the use button (E key by default).

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Personally, i've only played on Normal and Ranger Hardcore. So while I have useful advice for Ranger Hardcore, I'm not sure how much it translates to Ranger Normal. Like I know that in RHC a revolver can OHK Nosalises and Watchmen with a single headshot. Unaware Nosalsies can go down to a single knife and possibly a headshot from the VSV (Though i know that Watchmen go down to a single VSV headshot. They all fall to Shambler and Duplet shots quickly enough, within a fairly close range, though it'll take you a few tries to dial in the distance, the Long Barrel shambler can keep any nosalsies from hoping on Regina in her mission. The Hellsing is one of the best guns you'll find in the game (you can find one part way through the Dead City level with Bourbon in 2033) since it's ammo is recyclable and totally silent.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Dogen posted:

Throwing knives are one hit kills to non boss enemies on any difficulty I think. Head shots are from most guns. The main difference in hardcore is the disappearing HUD and body shot damage from Kalash et al, which is generally to the player's disadvantage.

Where'd you hear that? It says the opposite on the ending of LL.

Librarians and nosalises would beg to differ. As would the ultra-heavy infantry types. And shrimps too I think. And demons.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Librarians dont need killing really and i dont consider them bosses. Demons are an avoidable boss-like enemy, but i dont consider them bosses. But i could see the argument to call either of them bosses. Shrimps are far too populous to be called bosses though.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I thought that was just supposed to be one of thousand goons i murdered.

Knives arent only useful in stealth. With some practice, you can whip them around in combat. Its on the slow-ish side but its faster than reloading.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Wait until nosalsies are on the cart to shoot them. The duplet is good at that range, kills mutants very dead. Aim for their face with the revolver. Don't bother using the bastard gun, it's poo poo.

press Q to heal. mash E during QTEs. if you're in ranger/ranger hardcore, mash E whenever it feels like it's a QTE.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The 4A engine is pretty crazy intensive, especially on higher settings.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Oh, it is optimized very well, it's just that since you have no control over individual settings, you can't turn up everything without also turning on some very more graphics intensive settings. Very High taxes my system dramatically more than High. Though High is loving beautiful, and only ever gets chuggy in certain parts.

Now I want to play this gamae some more.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Last light has a lot smoother gameplay in general. You can have that style of gameplay in Spartan 2033/Last Light, and a more cumbersome, slower gameplay more like the original Metro 2033 in Survival 2033/Last Light.

That awkward on rails shooter is pretty difficult, but doable. You just gotta kinda do it once or twice and maybe be a little lucky.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Like the middle finger button in Blood Dragon.

The trick is to shoot them in the head. No, really, it makes them die A LOT faster. I prefer Ranger Hardcore for myself, and a single revolver headshot kills basically anything. 5.45 guns are moderately effective against them, and there's just a certain range where shambler shots will go from multiple shells to a single one. Learning that sweet spot pays massive dividends to not wasting ammo. Nailing one with a throwing knife won't kill them at full health, but it's immensely satisfying. Hellsing kills 'em pretty great too. In Last Light, whenever you get the opportunity to stealth kill them (which happens less often in 2033), do so. A single knife stealth kills them good.

They're really dangerous in Last Light and 2033 Redux because they use the Last Light style attacks. In the original Metro 2033 they had a very nasty lunge attack, not unlike Watchmen or Lurkers. In Last Light and 2033 Redux, they don't have the really nasty lunge attack, but they have a very deadly, very rapid series of swipes that can just outright kill you on higher difficulties. Dodging the first and following blows is very important, though you can take three or four hits of that first swipe and still live.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

fennesz posted:

I've noticed headshots seem to be a lot less effective on nosalises than on virtually any other mutant in the game. I suspect the hitbox is either a little bit wonky or they have some serious resistances to headshot damage.

I say this because whenever I use the tikhar, revolver or an assault rifle on watchmen they drop like flies but even when I'm unloading on a stationary nosalis it just sits there and takes it.

Watchmen have very big heads. Nosalsies don't. You pretty much have to hit them in their actual face for the headshot. Nonheadshots do piss all it feels, but like I've said before, revolvers drop nosalises like nothing else with headshots.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah. Survival mode features less smooth gunplay,slower reloading, harder stealth, less resources and Artyom's watch from 2033. Spartan features Last Lights smoother gunplay, faster reloading, esaier stealth, more resources and his kick rear end nixie tube watch from Last Light. The watch is a good shorthand to check what mode you're in case you forget. Personally I find Survival to be much harder in general. Although Survival uses the much simpler Illuminated Y/N light from Last Light and not the red/amber/green lights from 2033. Spartan Ranger Hardcore is pretty great. Difficult, but fair. Ammo is sparse, but if you're careful it's never really an issue.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
From a gameplay perspective it kind of sucks going back to 2033, but from a sort of roleplaying perspective it makes more sense. Artoym is still a wet behind the ears green horn, leaving his home station for the first time. LL Artyom is a lot more trained and skilled, so he's better at things and has more options. Also Last Light had a much bigger focus on nonlethally killing things, where as 2033 only had Khan saying "Hey, you don't have to kill everything."

Also I always felt Miller's comment about D6 is very Soviet and built with strong Soviet spirit or whatever was that sort of uncomplicated, durable as gently caress feeling.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
In the book Metro 2033 Khan refers to himself as a wolf and Artyom as a pup. In Last Light, Artyom is a wolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's an unfortunate side effect of taking place in a series of tunnels. You basically just walk around and shoot things and it's all about the world building and atmosphere.

• Locked thread