Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Did anyone read some of the novels in the expanded Metro universe / knows of a decent resource which tallies up which ones are worth reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Leb posted:

Well, being the philistine I am, I've never heard of Harry Harrison, but "STALKER in space" sounds approximately loving awesome.
Really? Deathworld is pretty popular in Russia (though something based on the Stainless Steel Rat series would also be interesting)

Edit - Oh yeah - I assumed this thread was dead and asked in the "What should I know before I play" thread, but... what should I know etc? I played through 2033, obviously.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 2, 2013

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

keyframe posted:

As far as I know only Metro 2033 is available in English, the rest of the books are not translated yet. 2033 was a great book, highly recommend reading it.
Yeah... I can read Russian. That's why I asked.

I've read 2033 and 2034 (the first is really good, the second absolutely pointless).

So, about my post above - nothing? No tips, tricks, hints?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

So, uh... I edited my user.cfg file to change the fov, as detailed here. For some reason, I think saving the file in wordpad on windows 7 has done some formatting. Some terrible, awful, no good formatting.

So now when I launch the game I get a brief intro with all the logos (can't do without that) and as we get to the corpse in a gas mask, I get a window full of text commands.

How do I fix this?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

fennesz posted:

What was wrong with 2034? I ask because I've been looking (ok, more hoping) for a translated edition for a while now.
It's a shaggy dog story that doesn't do anything interesting.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Scyron posted:

One thing I recently remembered pretty vividly from the book that was absent from the game the top of the Kremlin and the hypnosis ooze need to somehow appear in the next game, if there is one.
The amoeba spawner in D6 was the game version of that.

I kinda want to do an LP of this, but turning on Fraps grinds the game to a halt (GeForce 680, Intel Core 3.30 ghz, 4 gb ram). Anything to be done (besides turning down the graphics quality, which didn't help much)?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

How can you save Pavel? in the red square level? I tried to approach him but nothing happened, he died and the dark one said he understands that he can't be forgiven or something like that.

Hit the "Save Pavel" prompt.

Also, this is the first game I played (I'm sure people are going to provide further examples) that allows you to stick the same weapon in several different slots, and that's kinda awesome. So if you feel that you don't need anything besides the Saiga, just carry 2 to save on reloads.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I rather liked the 2033 stealth. Mostly because (with two exceptions) you weren't really expected to stealth your way through an entire section - just take down a few dudes before a firefight. It also didn't have s standardized rules that work even under ludicrous circumstances, and the enemies were fairly active and curious.

By comparison, LL stealth is incredibly simplistic and piss easy stealth (don't watch this 3Romeo). I spent like half the game just drifting from one guy to another, knocking them out without even bothering with distractions or lights.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

People in this thread mentioned that each Redux version is supposed to be 12$ if you already own the games. Was that an offer limited by location / time / something, because I definitely have both game on my steam account, but each Redux version costs 24$.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

By the way, how is Metro 2034?
It's poo poo. You know how Metro 2033 is kinda up its own rear end at times with sub-Coelho mysticism and meta-commentary? Metro 2034 dives into that hole and never comes up for air. The plot is also a mostly irrelevant shaggy dog story, with far less exploration of the Metro world.

The Metro universe is an "open world" project, so based on spinoffs pretty much every major city in the world has survivors in their Metro stations (even though underground stations outside Russia generally aren't meant to be used as bomb shelters) or wherever. The spin-offs apparently share the abysmal quality of most modern-day Russian sci-fi.

• Locked thread