Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Honestly, I only picked up Metro 2033 because it was four bucks on Steam at one point. I've played very little of it, because there was some weird video stuttering I couldn't fully eliminate (though I got rid of it in the vast majority of the game) and the game didn't feel terribly... fluid, for lack of a better term. It felt very free-to-play shooter where everything was just a little off from what I was used to. The story was interesting, but it just wasn't enough to make a lazy, self-righteous dickbag like me put up with the little things that irked me.

Are there any signs of whether Last Light is going to be a bit more polished and smooth than its predecessor? I have to admit despite my issues with the last one, Last Light still intrigues me. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Fewd posted:

So wait, the top difficulty level comes as a pre-order DLC? What? :psyduck:

This is one of those games I'll most likely pre-order anyway, but that is a pretty damned scummy thing to do. What's next? Ability to save your games, only $10 if you pre-order today!

As I recall, Ranger Mode isn't specifically a difficulty. Consider it like Survival Mode in the Fallout games, where you had to manage your hydration and poo poo. It's more of a different game mode than a different difficulty.

[EDIT] Though I don't disagree with your general point.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The game seems a lot smoother and user-friendly than the first so far. I'm running it on the automatic settings it detected when I started (which is basically the default High settings, I think?) and I haven't had any framerate drops or other oddities pop up, even in the big surface areas I've been in so far.

If I were doing the traditional "I played it for 3 hours, time to write a review!" score scale on it, I'd honestly give it a 9/10. Unless something goes completely off the rails later on, they fixed just about everything I had issues with in the first game and left the stuff I enjoyed. :toot:

Also, those of you who are having problems with throwing knives and such, you have to tap C rather quick. Holding down C just shows you what throwing weapon you currently have equipped (though I find this handy when I forget I have dynamite or grenades equipped and I think I'm going to toss a throwing knife).

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 14, 2013

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RBA Starblade posted:

Replaying it also got me to realize that there is contextual dialogue for various actions you can take, down to moving the camera around. Anna makes a snarky comment about you looking at her butt if you look up instead of just looking at the wall while you're climbing that ladder.

If that's the case, then at least the ladder example you mention is finicky. I didn't even have my hand on the mouse at the time because I was getting a drink, and after a few seconds she called me out for looking at her rear end when I was looking straight ahead into the wall. :argh:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Alright thread, I need a hint because I feel like I'm missing something obvious and I've dicked around for like 20 minutes trying to figure out what I've missed. The below is spoilered, but I've tried to leave as much story stuff out of it as I can (and it's fairly early on) while still describing the area I mean.

I'm in the area shortly after you've wrecked the rail car thing that the Blacksmith gives you, heading to Venice. I've gotten to an area where there is a small bandit camp to the right, and a dead end tunnel to the left. At the end of the bandit camp is a wooden spike wall I can't get through. At the end of the dead end is a little alcove where there was a jump scare QTE where you walk up to get some military ammo and a watchman jumps out and tackles you. I have no idea how I am supposed to get through here, as I can't find a way through the spike wall and I can't get through the area where the jump scare occured because a train is blocking the hole and it is taller than crouch height.

I'm sure I am missing something super obvious, but I feel like I've checked everywhere.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sankis posted:

Check your journal. It'll tell you what you need to do.

To be more precise, switch the rail to the bandit base and ram the rail car through the spike wall.

I tried that, several times, even at full "sprint" speed. It just bounces off and stalls out. :saddowns: It was one of the first things I tried, given what you've had to do leading up to it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

RBA Starblade posted:

You can hold down "shift" to go faster, if you don't know. I bounced off twice until I held it down to get to ramming speed.

That's what I meant by full sprint speed. Even at max speed, it just bounces off.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cheston posted:

Have you gone through the side area and y'know, de-bandit-ed it?

It might only let you break through after receiving the objective.

Yeah. I did that before I even realized the wall was there. At this point, you've confirmed the solution that initially made sense, so it must just be a bug. I guess I'll redo the chapter and hope it doesn't bug out this time. Thanks.

Speaking of stuff that surprised me in this chapter though, I was surprised to find myself actually rushing headlong, stealth and carefulness be damned, around corners and through that train to save the woman that was getting ready to be raped by bandits. As terrible as it sounds out of context, I think the voice acting was pretty good at that part, in trying to evoke an emotional response and sense of urgency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Damegane posted:

You might actually be at the one progression blocker that cannot be rammed through. It's a metal fence you have to raise with a switch in the side passage.

Nah, I know the fence you're talking about. I think that was actually the last fence before the one I'm at now.

• Locked thread