Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

NeoSeeker posted:

I was absolutely failing at playing 2033 on ranger for the first time ever (I did play last light on ps3 a little but it sucked rear end). Then I started to roleplay as the main character from the 1979 movie "Stalker". A complete wretched coward with situational awareness and survival coming first.

I'm now kicking the game's rear end. Seriously this series is awesome if you play it right. 2033 really does make me feel like just any other guy in the metro going on a valiant mission alone. From what I played of Last Light I felt more like I was playing as Khan than a wretched coward.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean but if its similar to how I feel about 2033 Ranger vs LL, at least at a very basic level, 2033 was balanced around killing your way through, silently for the most part, whereas LL balanced around letting you play in several ways. I played the original 2033 and did the whole throwing knife/silenced gun thing and to this day I think it worked really well but when I came back to 2033 Redux after playing Last Light I tried going non-lethally and... the game just doesn't work for it. The general design of the various areas, plus the number of enemies, and the filter time it takes some of the outside areas to do with the knockout punch or outright avoiding enemies, simply doesn't really mesh well together in my experience. Plus there seem to be several areas where the AI will always be on alert, either because it seems the game expected you to be discovered or because of monsters (such as the area with all the wrecked cars just before Black Station where the Demon will fight the Nazi's... which will cause them to know where you are).

As soon as I switched back to throwing knives and silenced weapons, 2033 Redux felt good again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Metro 2033 The Book makes its criticisms a lot clearer. For example, you learn that the reason that people go to the Kremlin and never return, something that's alluded to in 2033 and Last Light but touched on in the game, is because there's a psychic carnivorous blob monster created by a chemical weapon attack that compels people, young people in particular, to jump into its flesh. Subtle!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

sean10mm posted:

So I got the Metro Redux bundle, and so far Metro 2033 seems to be... super linear and kind of boring? A couple hours in and I've basically done nothing but follow random dudes around and get ambushed by mutants, and the combat is pretty much just dodging mutants and shotgunning them. The atmosphere and world building are cool, but that's it...it seems like exactly the thing I'd like, but it kind of isn't working for me so far.

Is it worth sticking with or is it kind of just going to be more of the same? Is Last Light different enough that I should just quit 2033 and skip ahead to that? Or should I just go play Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat again?

If you were expecting Far Cry 4 but in subway tunnels, you're not going to get that. This is eastern European Half-Life.

Metro Last Light does have a very small amount more openness to its surface areas but not much more.

• Locked thread