Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Seriously considering pre-ordering this, but I hope this game's hardcore mode has more thought put into it than the one in Metro 2033. Metro 2033 seemed poorly planned out, with most of the game's gas mask filters being available for purchase at the very beginning of the game, followed by a long period where you were operating off of whatever you happened to buy/scrounge. The problem was that "Ranger" mode took away the ability to salvage pretty much any filters you scavenged, so it was trivially easy to run out of air by the time you got to the "Library" level. Apparently Artyom doesn't have the heart to say that he has 30 seconds worth of air left and he's not going to step outside until he can buy or bum an extra filter off of somebody. If you know ahead of time that you need to buy a ridiculous number of filters, you can circumvent the problem, but it's still kind of stupid that the game didn't take this into consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

MadBimber posted:

Are you sure it changed how many filters you received as well? I've never ever had any problems with running out, and I've never bought any. :shrug:

Apparently Ranger Hardcore mode changes when you can pick up filters (you have to be low on air) and how much air you get from each "used" filter. Google also seems to suggest that there might have been a bug where the game, over time, didn't tally your total oxygen correctly. All I know is that the two times I played on that difficulty, I had to buy a lot of filters at the beginning of the game just to break even by the time I got to the Library. I'm starting to think something was wrong, because the game didn't usually let me pick up "used" filters regardless of how low I was, and even when I did, it only added ~1 minute to my total oxygen. So the time gained from scavenging for filters was lost on searching for them. Seems weird that it happened both times, though.

EDIT: Also I'm aware of the quirks with damaged masks and running consuming oxygen, so I don't think it had to do with that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

hopterque posted:

You could buy filters at every single station with vendors.

There are only two places, and they are at the beginning of the game: Riga and Market. Later vendors sold various gear, but not filters. It is a strange decision, in retrospect.

floor is lava posted:

Very hyped for this game. Maybe I should go back and finish my stealth run of 2033.

I'm doing the same thing, going back through the original game as a refresher for Last Light. Stealth is a temperamental thing in this game, though!

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 9, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Fraser CDN posted:

Of the few videos ive watched of Last Light Ive been getting a STALKER vibe to it, am I the only one?

I could definitely see that. I think the further out of the "Metros" Metro gets, the more similar it will be to STALKER--at least ostensibly. I mean, they're both Eastern European FPS games that take place in Eastern Europe, featuring a mix of human factions and mutant enemies, with a grimy, post-apocalyptic aesthetic (even though STALKER isn't post-apocalyptic). That's not a bad thing, though. Metro has always struck me an on-the-rails STALKER.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dr.Oblivious posted:

You guys know that not a coincidence, right? Half the dev. team (most of the key programmers and senior staff) on STALKER left to form 4A Games when Shadow of Chernobyl was at the end of it's production cycle due to some unknown internal conflict. It's the reason why Shadow of Chernobyl took another three years to finish even though the vast majority of the game was already finished and when it was released it was a buggy mess, the remaining devs. were unfamiliar with the in-game engine their former programmers had developed.

If Metro seems similar to STALKER, it shouldn't come to as a surprise, they're made by the same people.

I can't speak for Fraser CDN, but I was more speaking of the games, themselves. Like, the concept of crawling around post-apocalyptic Russia/Ukraine with a beat up Warsaw Pact weapon, fighting bandits and mutants. But yeah, I'm aware of the developer overlap.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Is Roadside Picnic worth reading? I've been curious about it for a while now.

I think so. I'm not sure if it's :filez: or not, but you can find transcripts of it online (that's how I read it, 4 or 5 years ago, when beat-up copies of the book were like $80-100). It looks like you can find copies of it at Amazon for a reasonable price nowadays, though, which might make the transcripts pretty questionable. For a short sci-fi read, I found it pretty interesting. Pick it up next time you buy a bunch of other stuff on Amazon.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Evek posted:

Okay so I figured what the hell and preordered on GMG. I got 3 keys but only two seem to work. The third one is very short and won't activate on Steam. Anyone else get this?

Is it possible that the short key is a DLC key that is entered within the game?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Do we really need to spoil everything for the previous game? This is a sequel after all.

It probably wouldn't hurt, given that this thread is going to attract people who are new to the IP and will want to pick up the original and play through it before they play this.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Regarding the Metro 2033 Amoeba talk, I think these two videos are a hilarious juxtaposition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLd-WulTFvk: An LP'er plays the scene as it is intended. As things grow increasingly hectic and the framerate drops, you can hear the tension in his voice as he begs the NPC (who tends to stop walking, so he can get swarmed by suicidal amoebas) to move faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLnCbLIqtHA: Somebody runs backwards and preemptively kills all of the Amoebas while awful Russian Music plays; the player and the NPC then stroll through the level.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Bought the "Redux" versions of these games when they were recently on sale, and even though I own the original Metro 2033, I feel like the Redux was a huge improvement over the original (which was a little rough around the edges, despite being technically impressive). I especially like how a lot of things from Last Light were retroactively added into 2033, like the spiders (both big and small), which really helped make the two games feel a lot more like back-to-back chapters of the same story. The updated graphics engine is impressive too; I found myself frequently stopping just to snap a screenshot of the area, simply because the environments looked so good. Probably the best $25 I've spent on Steam in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Scyron posted:

If I were to get redux, is there any must have reason to own it on pc over ps4? Like I already own metro 2033 and ll on pc, and they can hardily run well (30fps, dips, not on ultra), so I don't think the redux would be the best choice now, but in the future when I get my next pc and whenever they are on killer steam sale discount, versus $25~ for a ps4 disc copy, sooner than later.

I just don't have a lot going on for my ps4 until metal gear or mad max in september.

I mean...if you can't run the Redux games on your PC until your next upgrade, you might as well get them on PS4, because at least you'll be able to play them. Then, somewhere down the road when you upgrade your PC, there will be a Steam sale and you'll probably be able to pick up both games for $10 total or something crazy--if you feel so inclined to play them again at that point, maxed out on a KB+M setup.

• Locked thread