Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
I am a bit of a weirdo I guess because 2033 is one of my favorite games of all time.

Might have something to do with the fact that I love Russian stuff and the fact that my computer ran it on max without a hiccup.

I am between jobs at the moment and not being able to afford LL on release is bumming me out really hard.

gently caress yeah, Aртём.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

So I preordered yesterday on Steam, do I not get the comic and my copy of the novel until release or what?

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

floor is lava posted:

The most true and real interaction with women in general happens in the first game.

Is this an MRA style "women use their sex wiles to steal honest men's money" or are you making a joke that I am not getting? The only other woman in 2033 I remember is the little kid's mother and she has like 2 lines.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

So the game is out now, where do I get the book and comic? I preordered on steam.

Also the first thing it did was blue screen me. In my four years with this computer, the only blue screen I gave ever gotten before was the time I spun in my chair and accidentally axe-kicked it really loving hard. This does not bode well.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Is anybody else having ussues with a media keyboard? When I launch the game the volume controls on my board stop working.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Ok, last post for real. Is there really no Russian audio option? I don't see it anywhere.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I was about to ask if 2033 had that option since the English acting is quite...stilted.

The Russian audio rules. Go for it.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Doctor Albatross posted:

There should be two options for that in 'Game Options' - text language and audio language.

Ah ha, you can't switch in-game.

Edit: by that I mean during gameplay. It is a main menu option.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

I seem to be getting this problem where it only has about a quarter of the screen in cutscenes. I tried turning down the resolution, but I don't know if it works yet and it makes the game look like crap. Anyone else having this problem?

e: Also, do you still have to recharge your light? If so, what's the PC command?

Just like 2033, the command is F (hitting it turns your light on or off, holding it pulls out the charger). Unlike 2033, you have to hold F the entire time you charge.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

On Ranger Easy, how do I check my ammo?

Hold M, I am pretty sure.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I swear the Steam pre-purchase page mentioned getting a copy of the novel(2033), not just the comic book. How do I get that?

edit: Once again the Steam community forums confirm that some people got it. It shows up for at least one person in /metro last light/novel. Not so for me, having preordered directly from Steam.

I am in the exact same boat, plus I never got a code for the comic book.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

My girlfriend gets motion sick unbelievably easily, and as such cannot play or watch someone else play first person games. This game marks the first time that has ever saddened me, because drat is it beautiful and I know she would really like it.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Jesus Christ, this game just broke Steam for me.

Ever since I first installed it, every time I have started it I have shown one of those "are you willing to let this program make changes to your computer" messages, you know, the ones that every game has the first time you open it and then goes away after that. This particular program is called something like "? winslave" (question mark definitely included) and if I say do not allow it won't let me open the game. After I DO allow it, it breaks every single Steam game I have. whenever I open ANY game through Steam, Metro or otherwise, the game starts and runs like normal, but acts like there is a permanent ALT+TAB going on, in that it keeps going to desktop. Not crashing or blue screening or anything, there are no error messages, just a jump to desktop while the game keeps running. You can click back in but as soon as something shows up on the screen you are booted back out. If the game is something like FTL (not fullscreen) it works just fine. Disabling the Steam Overlay does nothing. I tried a complete reinstall of steam, deleting all 700 gigs of installed games too, and everything worked great on the games I tried until I re-downloaded Metro and ran it again. The same installer prompt showed up, everything went back to the way it was. Non-steam games that I launch outside of Steam still work fine.

This is unbelievably frustrating. Any suggestions?

Edit: of course I verified the game cache and all that too. Tried to look for driver updates, Steam updates, Metro updates, the whole shebang. Do I need to uninstall Steam completely again and re-download everything BUT Metro? That pisses me the gently caress off because I was really loving it and I haven't even finished it.

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 18, 2013

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Skuzal posted:

You hit E when you are close to them. Though it seems to not work if the guard is in the middle of some action aside from walking.

Really? I can't finish the game because of absolutely infuriating Steam issues but the parts I did play (up to the boss fight after the swamp) had custom animations for a whole bunch of different knock outs. The sleeping one made me laugh pretty hard.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Huh. That is really weird. I was going for the good ending, so I made sure to make every single good choice, and killed like five people I didn't have to, tops, the whole game. I still got the bad ending. Does killing people during the final level detract from your moral score? It kind of seems like you have to, as they are rushing you.

I knocked out every single fucker in the game though, does that somehow give you bad points?

Edit: The dark one explicitly called me a good person too.

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 21, 2013

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

There's some obscure requirements you have to do, so click on every interactable thing that seems harmless. The first game had the same problem -- barely any kills, still got bad ending, until just finding a random stash with a bong throughout the playthrough apparently fixed it.

The thing is, I did that. I explored every area, opened every box, played every instrument (even when enemies were like two feet away, I was loving committed), found all the ranger stashes, spared every life, saved every person that could be saved, returned the teddy bear... just ugh. The thing is, I know you are right. Somewhere out there is like one little cigar box with three ball bearings and a filter that I never found, and it is the difference.

Edit: just realized that I have done nothing but bitch in this thread, so I am going to make it clear that I absolutely adore this game.

I whine because I care.

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 21, 2013

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

Did you spare all the bosses? Including, the bear? I've heard from some people that saving the 3 bosses is required to get the good ending along with getting the required moral points.

I am not sure what you mean by that. The bear ran away at the end of the fight and when I went down the path it opened it was dogpiled, but still alive. I just walked past it. Was I supposed to shoot the fuckers off its back? I don't remember any way to spare the other bosses. The one that rammed through pillars I made ram through every single thing in the room. Nothing happened and it was still attacking me, so after sprinting for a minute I popped it once with the shotgun pistol and it died. Was there another option? The big swamp fucker was killed by the rangers, was I supposed to protect it?

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

Yes, you're supposed to shoot them off. As for the swamp and catacombs bosses You can't save them. The 3 bosses to save I know of are: Traitor dude(can't remember name), Pavel, and the bear. It's only a rumor though so god only knows if it's true or not. I plan to do a replay and see if anything changes.

Well, I spared pavel as well as pulling him out of the arms, and I spared the traitor. If I don't choose a new game, can I just replay the bear chapter onwards and see the good ending, or do I have to redo the whole thing?

Edit: assuming I didn't gently caress other stuff up too.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I have the level of Russian proficiency where I can understand 60% of anything spoken, and can usually understand the other 40% through context. Don't even try asking me to speak with any sort of pace beyond glacial though.

This made this game with Russian audio and English subs a beautiful, wonderful thing.

YMMV

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

He's also vicious as hell (even on stealth/no kill runs, those knockout blows are brutal) and has the endurance of a horse. The other stuff can come later.

Edit: he's also huge. That part of the endgame when you see him standing up from the back, I couldn't get over how big his hands were.

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 23, 2013

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Miltank posted:

So did I get the good ending or what? Artyom suicides the D6 compound and the dark ones are reborn

Nope. D6 blows no matter what, but the dark ones save him in the good ending.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

As someone whose favorite levels are ALL supernatural ones, I agree 1000x

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I always thought whoever chose Portishead's Machine Gun picked the absolutely perfect song for Metro. This is seriously one of my top three commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su1djPuvDnw

Edit: it wouldn't work at all in-game, but it is perfect for a commercial.

double edit: as one of the people who really liked Artyom's original watch and was sad to see it go, I like that it gets screen time in this commercial too.

triple edit last one I promise: I watched this video so many times that when I actually played the game, escaping from the Reich was constantly subtly confusing me for reasons I couldn't explain. It wasn't until I re-watched this video that I realized it was because I was so used to seeing Khan as the other guy escaping that having Pavel do all the Khan poo poo was wigging me out subconsciously.

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 2, 2013

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

My favorite thing about the live action trailer is what the mother is singing to her baby at the beginning.

It is a traditional Russian lullaby, and in true Russian form is dark as hell. It is basically telling your baby/small child that if they sleep too close to the edge of the bed, a wolf will bite their stomach and drag them off into the woods.

I really shouldn't read too far into it because the song is so culturally saturated it probably doesn't mean anything, but I like to think it was supposed to reference a child (Artyom) approaching a liminal space (the outside) and being pulled away from humanity against his will (his connection to the dark ones).

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Three posts above you, dude.

Also the specific line that is echoed at the end of the live-action trailer is the one that says

"He will grab you by the gut,
He will grab you by the gut."

A creepy as gently caress line.

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

The ashot seemed like it did crazy damage and it reloaded fast. I put the long barrel and lazer on it and used it to murder mutants.

• Locked thread