Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I loved Metro 2033 so I'm pretty excited for this, but as others have mentioned it's incredibly stupid that Ranger mode is a preorder bonus because it was basically half the reason the first game was so good. It removed your HUD so you had to use the viewmodel and stuff to actually tell how much ammo you had unless you took a moment to do a manual ammo check, and it rebalanced all the damage and amounts of ammo you would find. The result was that everything died faster but you had to make every shot count.

I wanted to read the book but the general consensus I got from reviews was that it's very good in Russian, but its English translation is bad. I don't know Russian so I figured it would be better to preserve my more positive impression of the setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Aliginge posted:

I also saw that revolving shotgun in the video, shame because I despise it with all of my being. Nothing worse than being in close quarters and having to faff around with this shotgun that always reloads leaving one or two gaps on the cylinder so reloads are frequent, inconvenient and never complete.

I never figured out how the hell that thing was even supposed to work. It was so confusing to use. After my first playthrough I realized how fun the pneumatic weapons are to use, which go in the same slot as the baffleshotgun, so I always used a Tihar, Volt Driver or Helsing instead.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There was actually only one place in the whole game where you could buy filters, and I remember hardly being able to pick up any filters even on normal mode, while pretty much all of them only lasted for a really short time once you used up the ones you bought from the store. My memory of normal mode might not be perfect though since I never went back once I tried Ranger.

Here's an interview with the author of the novels (who is also writing the game). It spoils a couple specific details in a few scenes, but nothing major as far as I can tell.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Everything having to do with the "morality" by the end of the game made no sense to me anymore, like how saving the giant bear monster is considered good, but all the watchmen you have to kill to save it don't matter for some reason (they're both animals but for some reason one deserves to live and the others deserve to die). Or how killing the dragon at the top of the building in the dead city is considered bad, even after it just tried to kill you climbing up the ladder. Or how killing Pavel and Leznitsky is considered bad when they both repeatedly showed over the course of the story that they were unrepentant, irredeemable pieces of poo poo that would never stop loving you and everyone else over while they were able.

The entire game just felt way sillier and less subtle than metro 2033 to me. I didn't even notice 2033's equivalent of the morality thing until my second playthrough for example, and while it started equally subtle in Last Light, it was slapping you in the face with "YOU DID A GOOD/BAD THING" by the end. There was also no reason the setting needed exaggerated mustache-twirling, atrocity-committing villains. The first game was completely fine with no outright villain and just a grim, unforgiving setting.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't know how 2033 redux is, but comparing the original version, last light has better gameplay in general.

I personally prefer 2033 for stylistic reasons and a few elements of its gameplay, but it is definitely a headache more often than last light. Both the dumb trolley level and the part with the kid are some of the most obnoxious parts.

• Locked thread