Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

:siren: The game is now available! :siren:

Drivers

AMD: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_13_5_beta_2_download.html
NVIDIA: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/geforce_320_14_beta_driver_download.html

Performance

Performance is reported to be good on both consoles.
AMD users should disable PhysX.
NVIDIA users should follow the 'Optimal Playable Settings' guide at http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/metro-last-light-graphics-breakdown-and-performance-guide
In general, SSAA, Tesselation and Advanced PhysX are computationally expensive options.

The FOV is so low, I literally vomited in my gas mask

A patch to address this issue has been pushed out on Steam. Find your user.cfg file in %LOCALAPPDATA%\4A Games\Metro LL\ and modify the following attribute:

r_base_fov

Note that this is the vertical FOV; default is 50.625.

pre:
Desired Horizontal    |     Vertical
80                    |     56
85                    |     60
90                    |     65
Note that this may introduce minor graphical artifacts as your FOV is now larger than the developers initially intended.

Notes on Ranger Hardcore Mode
  • there doesn't appear to be a way to check total ammo/number of filters outside of hub stations
  • total ammo capacity is fairly low
  • the only way to determine if you've loaded dirty/MGR is by looking at the magazine; you may switch between the two by holding the reload key
  • you may switch between secondary weapons using the weapon switch button; this brings up an invisible radial menu and you must then rely on the sound to determine which weapon you've selected (mouse left for grenades, mouse up for knives, mouse right for incendiary)
  • thrown weapons are thrown using the 'Secondary' key; holding the key instead of pressing it will allow you to see what you have equipped so you don't accidentally try to ninja some dude by throwing a grenade at his back
  • there are no QTE prompts, but mashing the use key during "hey this seems like a QTE" scenes seems to do the trick
  • you can incapacitate NPCs by holding the use key and brutally murder them by holding the melee key
  • you only get two weapons
  • be aware that many keys have an alternate function when held instead of pressed (e.g., press lamp key to turn on lamp; hold lamp key to bring up charger or press journal key to bring out you lighter; hold journal key to actually take out your journal/compass)

Is it it any good?! A review in 3 acts

If you liked the atmosphere in 2033, there's much more to love in LL -- the world feels both fuller and darker and there's some real diversity in the people and in the stations that was largely absent in 2033. And if you liked the atmosphere in 2033, but didn't like the stealth and combat, well, in LL, the stealth is buttery smooth and the combat is viscerally satisfying. As the Metro weapon vendors would say, "Recommended!"

:siren: We now return you to your pre-release content! :siren:

What is Metro: Last Light?

The sequel to Metro 2033. Metro 2033 was a post-apocalyptic FPS based on a novel of the same name by Дми́трий Алексе́евич Глухо́вский (roughly transliterated as Bob); Metro: Last Light features an all new story penned by same.

Developed by 4A Games and published by Deep Silver, Metro: Last Light promises an experience positively brimming with atmosphere (of the bleak and post-apocalyptic variety) and action (of the survival horror variety).

Who is 4A Games?

An Eastern European video game developer that was founded by former employees of GSC (of STALKER fame).

Great, so what's the gameplay in M:LL like?

As Hunter is wont to say, if it's hostile, you kill it. Alternatively, it's a mostly linear story-driven FPS set in the Metro tunnels beneath the post-apocalyptic city of Moscow. The game allows the player to approach combat situations with stealth or.. not.. all while contending with a hostile environment which would just as soon see the player dead.

Popular features carried over from the original.
  • frankenweapons
  • military grade rounds as currency
  • non-combat hub stations
  • hand-cranked dynamos to power your gadgets
  • gas mask/filter management
  • moral points
New features of note.
  • As simulation integrity is extremely important to 4A Games, 4A has implemented the world's most advanced face mask wiping mechanic ever encountered in a video game. Behind the wipe mechanic lies a complex Newtonian fluid simulation that fully considers viscosity, shear stress and strain rate to produce a fluid simulation of unparalleled fidelity. Wipe away that gore and viscera secure in the knowledge that you're doing it right!
  • All weapons may now be arbitrarily customized with a wide variety of stocks, scopes, barrels, suppressors, etc.
  • An all new digital watch promises to transform filter management into something more remotely comprehensible; the watch also includes a new light meter which promises to transform stealth into something a bit more intuitive.
The story so far.

The protagonist, Arytom of Exhibition station, has come face to face with the threat posed by the Dark Ones. His travels have taken him from the blasted wastelands of the surface to an abandoned top-secret military facility (known as D6) buried deep beneath the ruins of Moscow. Armed with the secrets of D6, Artyom must decide the fate of an entire people.

Blah, blah, I played the original. So, which ending is considered canonical?

The bad one. You really did it! You maniac! You blew it up! Evidently, metrics revealed that most players were dicks.

What happens now?

With the discovery of D6 and the terrible secrets contained within (primarily amoebas - you know what I'm talking about), total war between the factions of the Reich, the Red Line, Hanza and the Rangers seems all but inevitable.

Reich, Red Line, Hanza, Rangers?

Factions within the Metro.
  • The Reich are Russian ultra-nationalists; your garden-variety fascists.
  • The Red Line are communists who reminisce fondly on the days of Stalin.
  • Hanza (short for the Hanseatic League) are western-style capitalists; also dicks.
  • The Rangers (based out of Polis station), meanwhile, are elite soldiers who have taken it upon themselves to protect the Metro from all threats internal and external. You play as a ranger.
Wait, what's the terrible secret of D6?

President Putin has survived the devastation that man has wrought upon the Earth. Now, after 20 years, alone and lost in the dark, Putin is stirring... and he's grown hungry. This is thought to be the biological doomsday weapon that is referred to in some of the earlier trailers.

IMDB says Nolan North and Patton Oswalt are VAs in M:LL?

Apparently. Artyom is no longer a silent protagonist, but will instead be voiced by Patton Oswalt. The character of Arytom has been slightly retconned to reflect this new direction; Artyom is now a bumbling but well-intentioned ticket checker who is thrust into a desperate battle for the fate of humanity and must rely on his easy charm and folksy wisdom to win the day.

On the technical side, I heard Metro 2033 was poorly optimized/a bit buggy.

So goes the conventional wisdom (it's debatable -- the AI was occasionally inscrutable and the DX11 features were extremely expensive), but whatever the case, 4A has assured us that the latest iteration of the 4A Engine is the most optimized and polished version to date.

OK, but I heard you need a Titan to run M:LL.

This is accurate; no quarter will be given to those with inferior hardware. Alternatively, check out the specs here: Recommended PC Specs

When?

NA release on May 14; EU on May 17.

On what?

PC, PS360.

I'm a little short on rubles...

M:LL is 10% off on Steam for users who own Metro 2033
M:LL is $37.50 on GMG (use code: GMG25-5GT67-87HJ9, good till 5/10)

P.S., what about Ranger Mode?

Without getting into the whole THQ/DS pre-order debacle, Ranger Mode (a hardcore mode that eliminates the HUD and enhances the survival aspects of the game) is a preorder DLC that comes free with all pre-order copies of the game. Those who elect not to pre-order will regrettably have to purchase Ranger Mode as a separate DLC should they wish to experience M:LL as the invisible watchers intended.

Gameplay Trailer
http://www.gamespot.com/metro-last-...utesInTheSwampW

Live Action Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mON5WmA5REk

Ranger Survival Guide
Part I: The World of Metro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwJXgb3G508
Part II: Enemy Danger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4WSE4za6VE
Part III: Weapons and Inventory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAMI0fiJqY4

Redemption Trailer (slightly spoilery if you played the first game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV3cY0InnF0

And behind advanced cloth simulation #3...
A NEW CAR!!!

A taste of survival horror...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV5XInC79GE

The ice is melting..

The sun is shining..

Tailgate party (reference lost on Europeans)!

Get those MGR ready..

Leb fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
From what's been discussed in the various videos to date, it appears that once you've been detected, breaking line of sight for a sufficient period of time will cause the guards to switch from active engagement to sweep and clear.

And yeah, the Uboinik shotgun was hilarious. You think you're loaded to bear, but oops, you left one of the cylinders empty during your last reload... just give me a second while I heft this gun and manually chamber the next round and would you mind not munching on my face for just a moment longer? Fortunately, M:LL also includes the Saiga shotgun, which is a proper semi-auto shotgun with a decent sized magazine.

As for attachments, it appears that most any weapon can accept most any attachment.. you can even silence the Duplet (or hell, you can go the other direction and slap four barrels on the thing).

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Just a heads-up, the 360 version has entered circulation; consequently, spoilers abound on youtube.

Also, information on PC performance may be found here:

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Klaus Kinski posted:

I believe you can get 25% off on gmg, it's also alot cheaper if you're in one of the regions where steam uses €.

e: It's not a straight discount, you have to go hunt their blog or google for coupons/promotion codes and use them when you check out.

Added to OP; the code is GMG25-5GT67-87HJ9.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Seriously considering pre-ordering this, but I hope this game's hardcore mode has more thought put into it than the one in Metro 2033.

Indeed!

Deep Silver Community Manager posted:

In the case of Metro 2033, Ranger Mode was a paid DLC on Xbox 360 and free for PC. For Metro: Last Light, at some point it was decided to do this again because people liked Ranger Mode.

It takes quite a bit of time to make sure the campaign in Ranger Mode is perfectly balanced and is worth replaying the entire game for on this mode. It's not just "remove the UI and increase bullet damage and that's it." That's where dev time comes in, and where you pay devs to spend time creating such a mode apart from the main game. When THQ decided to fund development of Metro: Last Light and what the sequel would need this second time around, they could've said "Nah we don't need to spend money on that" or "We will but we'll release it later like the first time." It ended up with a "Yes" for Ranger Mode and having it available on the day of release rather than months later.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Fraser CDN posted:

After having Metro since release im finally getting around to beating it. I got to where you find Sasha and stopped playing. Im on chapter 5 and hoping I get through it before my pre order arrives.

No worries, the Sasha chapter is only the second worst part of the game! At least there're no amoebas, I guess..

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Charlie Brown posted:

I know it's a typo, but I laughed so hard when I read 'Liberian'.
:-D

Well, to be fair, Liberia is generally regarded as a pretty dark and scary place.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

God dammit, I avoided Bioshock Infinite spoilers this entire time only to finally get spoiled in a Metro thread. And I was 2/3 of the way through the game. :smith:

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Final infodump from the Community Manager:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/43160/discussions/0/810924134054557610/

And for PC users, a detailed breakdown of the graphical settings:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/metro-last-light-graphics-breakdown-and-performance-guide

T-minus 12 hours.

ed: Updated Nvidia drivers may be found here:

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-geforce-320-14-beta-drivers-released

Leb fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 13, 2013

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

The whole Ranger DLC debacle really is unfortunate, as most of the 7/8 reviews cite the absence of resource scarcity as evidence that the game has abandoned its hardcore roots -- but of course, they're not playing on Ranger mode, because it wasn't made available to reviewers.

Deep Silver should really consider pulling a CDPR and releasing Ranger Mode for free somewhere down the line.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Dr.Oblivious posted:

Does he really spend 15 minutes condemning 4A for the pre-order content which has been the industry standard for god knows how long?

Just the typical tempest in a VDNKh mushroom teapot. At least he has the decency to do so in his adorable British accent. And he does go on to say that he really, really likes MLL.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Ranger Hardcore has been pretty hardcore so far. I played RH extensively on 2033, so I knew what to expect, but some of the changes have thrown me for a loop.

• there's no way to check how much total ammo you have outside of stations; similarly, there doesn't appear to be any way to track the number of filters outside of stations either (this is actually kind of cool, as I found myself mentally keeping track of how many filters I had picked up)
  • the total ammo cap is fairly low
  • the only way to determine if you've loaded dirty/MGR is by looking at the magazine (switch between the two by holding the reload key)
  • you switch between thrown weapons using the weapon switch button which brings up an invisible radial menu; you then have to rely on the sound to determine which weapon you've selected
  • thrown weapons are thrown using the 'Secondary' key; holding the key instead of pressing it will allow you to see what you have equipped so you don't accidentally try to ninja some guy by throwing a grenade at his back
  • there are no QTE prompts, but mashing the use key during "hey this seems like a QTE" scenes seems to do the trick
  • you can knock out NPCs by holding use and murder them by holding melee
  • you only get two weapons
  • stealth is even more powerful in LL than it was in 2033
  • many keys have an alternate function when held instead of pressed (e.g., press lamp key to turn on lamp; hold lamp key to bring up charger or press journal key to bring out you lighter; hold journal key to actually take out your journal/compass)
  • there doesn't seem to be a dedicated button to check your watch (but if you light your lighter, you can see the watch)

If I'm wrong about any of this stuff, let me know and I'll throw the updated list in the OP.

Anyways, speaking to the game itself, if you liked the atmosphere in 2033, there's much more to love in LL -- the world feels both fuller and darker and there's some real diversity in the people and in the stations that was largely absent in 2033. And if you liked the atmosphere in 2033, but didn't like the stealth and combat, well, in LL, the stealth is buttery smooth and the combat is viscerally satisfying. As the Metro weapon vendors would say, "Recommended!"

Leb fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 14, 2013

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Underwhelmed posted:

What is up with those dossiers I keep picking up anyway? Is that something else that is getting shaved off due to the HUD being reduced?

It is really weird because I swear there were some areas that were letting me see how many bullets I had if I pulled up the tab menu, and that seemed immersive enough, I mean it forces me to take my eyes off the action to check, which is the whole point right? It is really weird that I have no idea if my rifle has 100 rounds left after the current magazine, or none. As things are, it is totally impossible to keep track of because you never get any kind of feedback when you pick up ammo as to how much there was. This makes it all but impossible to make a decision as to what weapons to carry.

Diary pages may be read by pressing 'Esc' and selecting 'Diary' from the menu -- don't worry, this isn't explained anywhere on RH. Regarding ammo on RH, most non-scripted pickups are 1-2 rounds. Once you reach the first hub station, you can check your total ammo and after that, well, I guess you have to mentally track your ammo (which isn't that hard if you're doing a stealth run).

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Just a quick note, the exchange rates on RH are as follows:

pre:
1 MGR will buy:

1.2     12x70 shells
3       5.45x39 dirty rounds
1.25    15mm ball bearings
1       .44 magnum rounds
.714    7.62x54 rounds

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

By the way: if you're not playing on ranger hardcore, do it. Its insanely immersive. No other game has ever made me feel "in it" as much as this. There's really nothing I can compare it too. If you're worried about it being too hard or something, don't be. This is my first time playing a game in this series and its going fine. Trust: when the developers say that ranger hardcore was the way the game was meant to be played, they REALLY mean it.

Well, "in it" if you're the kind of guy who never thinks to actually look at the number of magazines or filters he's carrying and who blindly gropes for grenades/knives until he grabs one that "sounds" right and...

I mean, yeah, I'll only ever play this in RH but in Metro 2033 on RH, the conceit was that when your journal was active, you could see how many rounds/filters you had. You could also press 'T' to bring up your stopwatch/heft your gun which allowed you to see the gun's magazine very clearly (to better determine how many rounds were left in your mag/if you had MGR/dirty rounds loaded). As it stands, the only reliable way to determine if you've got MGR loaded is to flick your lighter in a well lit area and very quickly glance at the tips of the bullets (red are MGR, grey are dirty).

ed: the above applies to the WP carbines/assault rifles; on the Bastard, you can tell by looking at the back of the bullets: MGRs are very shiny, almost gold, while dirty rounds are much filthier and appear more copper.

Leb fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 16, 2013

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

B B posted:

For what it's worth, I'm working through 2033 right now, as well, and that part took me forever because I was trying to stealth through it on one of the Ranger difficulties. I died so many times before I just said gently caress it and started killing everyone with my AK and grenades.

I can't wait to get night vision goggles so that stealth becomes viable.

This game rules, though, and Last Light might end up being one of the first games in a while that I've bought at full price, after I finish 2033.

It's actually pretty easy to stealth through there once you know the trick. From the entrance, take the left grate and keep left until you reach the shotgun tripwire trap. Khan will make a timely assist, then jump over the sandbags and go left again into the maze. Navigate the maze and once you come out, Khan will assist you again and bam, you're through the whole level without firing a shot.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

BBJoey posted:

Having finished this game... I gotta say I'm not that big a fan of the story. In Metro 2033, there weren't really any villains - everybody was just doing what they needed to do to get by...

I think part of the difference, though, is that in 2033 you never really meet anyone except foot soldiers. The humanity you overheard in the Black Station, e.g., was the humanity of two fathers trying to do right by their families; meanwhile, overheard conversations from the bandits in 'Lost Tunnel' and 'Dry', the commissar in 'War' and the Reich officer in 'Outpost' suggest that the leadership in 2033 wasn't much different than what we encountered in LL.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Doniazade posted:

It's really fun on the stealth levels but gently caress, it's so lazily implemented.

Having put a number of hours into this bad boy, this is pretty true. HUDs exist as a means of conveying abstract information to the player in a predominantly visual medium. If their intention was to enhance the immersion by removing this conceit, fantastic, but they absolutely should have replaced it with something else, e.g., a 'look in pack' animation where you can see some visual representation of the number of magazines/rounds/consumables/etc (even if only an approximation) you have available.

As it stands, I would argue that (in certain respects) the current implementation actually decreases immersion as it reminds the player that they are unable to perform such basic but critical actions as 'look at hand to see which throwable is equipped', 'look at magazine to see how many/which types of rounds are loaded', 'look at pack to determine how many filters are left', etc...

I mean, I'm still always going to play Ranger Hardcore, but perhaps we can hope that 4A will pull a CDPR and put out something to address this issue.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

It is fortunate beyond words that the works of the great masters survived the armageddon.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This game is kind of weird graphically. I ran it at 1920x1200 with all the settings maxed out, and some stuff looked beautiful, like on a futuristic level, while other stuff looked like it came out of a PS2 game. IIRC, 2033 was the same way. And so was STALKER, which these guys developed before the Metro series.

Yeah, while the engine itself is quite advanced, there's not much to be done for low res textures. Fortunately, STALKER has received about a million texture mods and if Last Light gets an SDK, I imagine we'll get a few here as well.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

We'll have some more details tomorrow when it's officially announced!

For now: this is content 4A had cool ideas about but nothing was really set in stone yet with all the publisher turmoil in January. Now that Last Light has been completed and in stores, they'll be working on new single-player content that expands upon the Metro universe and gameplay.

Artyom's story in Last Light stands on its own in the main game.

The studio is and will also still be working on updates, of course.

I mean, how can I say no?

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

So, on my second playthrough, I just noticed something really loving major in the Nazi station right after you escape that I can't believe I missed before. You can get your starting weapons back. They're on a rack on the wall in the guard post, to the right of the airlock you and Pavel have to open together. Found it entirely by accident, I just happened to notice a familiar-looking shape there while running past and upon closer examination, yep, there they were, my assault rifle and shotgun I had chosen in D6 at the very beginning of the game.

From some limited testing, I'm pretty sure that only works on Ranger mode.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Scyron posted:

If I play on Ranger HC is it viable to use the revolver shotgun, and either the bastard SMG or the bolt action for the whole game? Like just how much more difficult would that be? I've already completed on Ranger Easy and was thinking it might be fun to sort of gimp myself by using only the crappy starting weapons for the majority of the game.

The Shambler (revolver shotgun) is a beast and is good throughout the game. The Bastard is actually a pretty great gun, all things considered; but good luck finding anywhere near enough ammo to keep your Valve (bolt-action rifle) supplied, though -- you can carry a max of 25 7.62 rounds on Ranger Hardcore.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

DLC officially detailed:

"Artyom’s story may have been concluded in Metro: Last Light, but there are other characters with stories to tell, some familiar locations that fans of the Metro series wanted to revisit, and some new challenges that 4A wanted to explore," said Andrew Prokhorov, Creative Director at 4A Games. "Since completing the game we have been working on these new stories and hope to release them throughout the summer."

That means that while they had some ideas early this year, this is all content that is being created as we speak, and content that will be created over the next couple of weeks and months.

The Season Pass will be $14.99 / £11.99 / €14.99 or 1200 MS Points.

Included are 4 individual DLCs:

The "Faction Pack" and the "Chronicles Pack," which both focus on new and original single-player gameplay and stories that expand upon the Metro: Last Light universe.

The "Tower Pack" which is something different that focuses on challenge and pure gameplay for Metro veterans.

The "Developer Pack" which is not an SDK, but which will give players a unique environment and tools to play around with.

The Season Pass gives you the DLC Packs in one package, at a discount compared to buying them individually, and also includes the Absats weapon for use right away. The Season Pass will also be available throughout, so there is no deadline for getting everything at a discount; if you want to wait and see what the individual DLCs are first, you can always get it later.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

The quartet would be a more useful gun if you could fire each barrel individually. As it is, you mostly end up wasting an extra shell each time you fire.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Yeah, after seeing what some of the bandits/fascists/communists are up to, it takes an almost inhuman restraint to leave their throats unslit/heads unfilled with 15mm steel balls.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Yeah, especially when you consider that if you knock them out, they'll just wake up a bit later and resume killing/raping the refugees after you've left.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Pwnstar posted:

If you are going for the 1000 military grade ammunition achievement and have a lot of patience there is a merchant at the start of the Bandit tunnel level who doesn't despawn. So you can run back and forth selling all the guns from the bandits you have taken down.

If you're only slightly patient, prioritize the semi-auto pistols with telescopic sights as they're worth the most (38 MGR on RH).

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Meiteron posted:

Well I finally got it; that advice about the 4-barrel shotgun helped since I had completely missed it and was making do with a Duplex that needed both shots to down one Nosalis which... didn't always work so well.

I finally survived by giving up on staying in once place and basically sprinting away whenever 2 or more nosalises got into melee range before I could kill them. It was touch-and-go and I used 4 medkits along the way but at least it's over!

I did find it funny that basically the last ~2 hours of gameplay was Artyom against mostly humans as the Sneaky Invisible God of Death/Unconsciousness but as soon as you're faced with a large enough group of mutants, suddenly it's all running wildly and screaming. I imagine that's exactly what they were going for.

For mutant segments, you should try to always have a Shambler/Saiga handy as the Ashot/Duplet simply can't put out a reliably large volume of fire to survive the 'panic events'. On the 'Bandits' level, there's a free Shambler lying next to a corpse immediately behind your starting position.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

Instead of using a shotgun, I used an upgraded Tihar (or Tikhar or however it's spelled; the air rifle). <snip> The only downsides are that you can only carry 45 shots for it.

Coming from M2033, this made me very sad. In 2033, the exchange rate was 8 steel balls for 1 MGR and you could carry as many rounds as you could afford. In MLL, the exchange rate is 1.25 steel balls for 1 MGR and you can carry... 45. And since it's a relatively uncommon ammo type, it makes the Tihar almost impossible to keep supplied.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Not to mention that the knives are tipped with a vile cocktail of Spiderbug venom and Dark One ichor, making even grazing shots to the hand instantly lethal.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Yeah, it'd be pretty cool to be a stalker for Hansa (the Ring Line), as Hansa citizens would have access to an extensive network of interconnected Hansa stations as well as unique access (as Metro dwellers go) to stations controlled by other factions (under the guise of an ordinary Hansa merchant).

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Yes, as confirmed by 4A, the only human enemies you may kill without invalidating the achievement are those found on the 'Chase', 'Red Square' and 'D6' levels. As has been noted, once this achievement is invalidated for a playthrough, reloading from a checkpoint will NOT restore your progress; you must instead restart the entire game. Life in the Metro is.. unforgiving.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Yeah, it's hard to finish Metro 2033 with less than 500 MGR unless you're buying random guns left and right.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Great news, everyone, the RPK is available for purchase on Steam for just 99 cents! I mean, only the most pitiable of souls would drop a dollar on a preorder gun that's already present in the game data! I certainly wouldn't!

I did. :smithcloud:

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Scyron posted:

I'm not intentionally doing this, but my no kill RHC run is pretty much this, since I have no need to use my guns/ammo.

Pretty much this. I keep a suppressed Shambler in my first slot to deal with mutants and always grab the most expensive/pimped out gun for my second slot which I then promptly sell.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Well, being the philistine I am, I've never heard of Harry Harrison, but "STALKER in space" sounds approximately loving awesome. Did they go into any broad strokes as to when they might be kickstarting it?

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

sauer kraut posted:

Is there a cheat to add filter time?

I ran out in the swamp and don't really wanna play this crap anymore worrying about that. Time limits are the worst mechanic.

If you're familiar with Cheat Engine/other signature scanners, you can add an arbitrary amount of time to your filter pool once you locate the time in memory. Alternatively, there's a silly pseudo-exploit in the game wherein you can repeatedly equip/de-equip your gasmask to extend your filter time (after a quick breath from the mask, you can hold your breath for like ~30 secs; rinse and repeat).

In other news, info on the first DLC should be dropping next week.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Xander77 posted:

So, uh... I edited my user.cfg file to change the fov, as detailed here. For some reason, I think saving the file in wordpad on windows 7 has done some formatting. Some terrible, awful, no good formatting.

So now when I launch the game I get a brief intro with all the logos (can't do without that) and as we get to the corpse in a gas mask, I get a window full of text commands.

How do I fix this?

You can either delete user.cfg and it will be recreated for you, or, in the console, type 'host 000' and it should take you to the main menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Woop woop, Faction pack is out on the 16th.

quote:

The ‘Faction Pack’ includes three original single player missions, each casting the player as a different specialist from the warring Factions. Returning to some classic locations from Metro 2033, these missions feature new weapons, the return of a truly terrifying mutant foe, and offer three distinct gameplay challenges…

• As a Special Detachment Sniper of the Redline, players must infiltrate a heavily guarded Reich Outpost at night, under the cover of a deadly radioactive storm…

• … before defending the Frontline as a Reich ‘Heavy’, armed with some of the most devastating weaponry found in the Metro.

• Lastly, players take the role of a Polis Ranger in training, tasked with exploring the vast Library complex for artifacts and relics. Salvage can be exchanged for ammunition, filters and hazard suits allowing ever deeper exploration into the Library. Rangers are advised to light torches and leave a trail of lights so they can find their way back to the base before their precious oxygen runs out…

We will also have developer blogs for each DLC to give some more insight into how it was made, which will appear on our website on Friday (probably) for the Faction Pack.

If you want to wait and see if it's worth getting, reviewers have season passes so if you are lucky they will take the time to review the DLCs. Not like there is anything else for them to do in the Summer!

We'll also have trailers. Good sweet old video.

Some more info about the other DLCs (these will be released over the course of 60 days following the Faction pack):

• The ‘Tower Pack’ presents a unique experience for seasoned Metro gunslingers – a challenge based game mode, with online Leaderboard support, as players fight their way up the combat simulator known as The Tower

• The ‘Developer Pack’ boasts a fully stocked Shooting Gallery, the AI Arena and Metro Museum… And a bonus solo mission – The Spiders’ Nest – offers some new tools for dealing with an infestation of the skittering Spider mutants [Note: yes a separate level entirely dedicated to SPIDERS]

• Lastly the Chronicles Pack will feature original single player missions that cast the player as three of the game’s standout characters – Pavel, Khan and Anna – and explore their side-stories away from Artyom’s adventure

The Ranger-in-training mission might even scratch that STALKER itch a bit...

• Locked thread