Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

Is Roadside Picnic worth reading? I've been curious about it for a while now.

The movie (STALKER) is quite good as well. I think the entire film in the original Russian is still viewable on YouTube.

But yes, the book is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

This is a disaster on AMD cards, looking at the benchmarks, a 660ti is beating a 7970 Ghz Ed. Such bullshit.

My 6870 is making GBS threads itself. Granted, we aren't talking about a top of the line new model mega card here, but if I can run Bioshock Infinite on near-max, I should be able to at least get this on low with a solid framerate at all times.

From what I have seen though, the game is pretty, even on lower settings.

edit: Wait, this game has a problem with Logitech gaming keyboards? Well that might be part of my problem...

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 14, 2013

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Your right, it is very annoying not knowing how much you have. I mean I like not having a hud in a fight, but when nothings goin on I'd like to be able to check everything and prepare. Also no quick time event buttons are dumb. I just got the railcar and had no clue how to start it, finally realize it was the jump key. I'm sorry Miller :saddowns:

What is up with those dossiers I keep picking up anyway? Is that something else that is getting shaved off due to the HUD being reduced?

It is really weird because I swear there were some areas that were letting me see how many bullets I had if I pulled up the tab menu, and that seemed immersive enough, I mean it forces me to take my eyes off the action to check, which is the whole point right? It is really weird that I have no idea if my rifle has 100 rounds left after the current magazine, or none. As things are, it is totally impossible to keep track of because you never get any kind of feedback when you pick up ammo as to how much there was. This makes it all but impossible to make a decision as to what weapons to carry.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jimbot posted:

A lot of it is interface stuff. Looting corpses is contextualized instead of selecting a corpse then hitting loot all. Instead you have to find each ammo pouch and manually loot them. Of course, that can get annoying with bodies that fall face first and obscure most of them. It just does away with a lot of modern shooter conveniences.

No need to search, just start mashing the activate button as you spasmodically jerk your head around. In the future, we all have chorea!

Leb posted:

Diary pages may be read by pressing 'Esc' and selecting 'Diary' from the menu -- don't worry, this isn't explained anywhere on RH. Regarding ammo on RH, most non-scripted pickups are 1-2 rounds. Once you reach the first hub station, you can check your total ammo and after that, well, I guess you have to mentally track your ammo (which isn't that hard if you're doing a stealth run).

I have been trying to keep track, but the occasional death/reload, or save/quit, combined with all the mad looting in the dark means that I lose track after awhile. Running out of bullets in the middle of a fight is cool, and does add to the tension when you don't see it coming, but I really wish it would just tell me the numbers during downtime. Hardly annoying enough to make me not play on Ranger mode, but still a little aggravating.

Wanderer posted:

Metro carries it through, though, even to the fine details. Your objective marker is an old notepad, the bullets are hand-loaded and terrible, and even at the end of the game when you have the best weapons you're likely to get, you never feel like a huge badass. All the NPCs are barely scraping by, about to get killed, or actively malevolent. It's a post-war game that doesn't feel like some kind of cleverly disguised playground.

Fallout and games like it, make you feel welcome in a hostile world. Games like Metro, and Stalker like to remind you how unwelcome you are.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

NESguerilla posted:

I have had this happen twice as well while loading the shotgun.

I'm really digging this game but it feels really easy compared to the first one even on hard and I played 2033 on normal.

Stealth works in a predictable way now, or at the very least is a lot easier. I couldn't sneak for poo poo in the original, no matter what I did it was like I was wearing a day-glow orange jumpsuit and dragging a string of pots and pans behind me. In this game, I pop out of the shadows, punch some dude in the face and then bury a throwing knife in the throat of his buddy 5 feet away.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Noirex posted:

Yes, I'm playing the Russian version with English subtitles because it's much more atmospheric. However, I can't help but feel like I'm missing out on a lot of back story just from NPC chatter. A lot of them are not subtitled or sounds weirdly translated. At this point, I might switch it back to English because I do love picking up on small background details from the chatter.

I started playing in Russian with English subtitles, but I switched for a couple reasons:
1) As you said, there are more than a few background conversations that are really cool, that you totally miss out on because they have no subtitles
2) When there is combat, having to keep dropping my eyes to read the subtitles means I miss out on dialog, because not dying is usually a higher priority.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sputty posted:

This is kind of a weird question but how do you unload military grade ammo? I can't seem to figure it out and in 2033 I think it was hold reload? It's not working now though and I just bought a bunch of normal ammo so I'm a bit confused

Hold down the reload button to switch between the two. I think pressing reload while you have the inventory screen open will load Military Grade ammo, but I could only get it out of the gun by holding reload.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

These dudes are heroes for putting together a game like this under those conditions. This is a GOTY candidate.

Regardless of any opinions that one has on how this game plays, it would be really hard to honestly argue that this isn't one of the best looking games ever made (at least on a technical level) The fact that this was accomplished by a relatively small studio in such sub-optimal conditions is pretty remarkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mushball posted:

The preorder weapons are the RPK and a shortened kalash and the arrow signifies it is a downloaded weapon like the auto shotgun or the volt driver in 2033. I haven't tried them out yet but the RPK probably could hold a poo poo ton of bullets since its an lmg.

Holy poo poo am I dumb. I had no idea what the hell that arrow meant, my brain just assumed it meant that it did less damage than the gun I had equipped. I went through 2033 (twice!) thinking the same goddamn thing.

• Locked thread